Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just man up and install Debian.
View Quote

Debian is nowhere near as hardcore as it used to be. Simple install, great suite of apps. I have it on an old HP DM3 laptop, and works great. And I know nothing about *nix
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Mac OP.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That.
I used to recommend Ubuntu - no more.

Trying to decide which to recommend now - maybe fedora?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The douche bag in charge of Ubuntu/Canonical is a libtardtastic POS, and probably has backdoors opening up straight to 0bama's thugs and the NSA.

Nevertheless, Ubuntu, and several of its derivatives, is one of the easier Linux distros to set up and actually use on the desktop. I prefer KDE, so I use Kubuntu.

That.
I used to recommend Ubuntu - no more.

Trying to decide which to recommend now - maybe fedora?

I've been looking at Mageia. Fedora has too short of a life cycle for my tastes, but it's nice. CentOS would probably be a better choice for most users and those who like stability more than the flashiest updates. openSUSE is another respectable distro. PCLinuxOS seems to be another reasonable option.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.

I've been running Debian testing on my desktops for many years, I run the "stable" release for servers.

Specifically, I run it with KDE and fluxbox instead of gnome.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I've tried a few different distros and still use Ubuntu mostly on my desktops. I use whatever the current LTS is. For my machines Ubuntu seems to be more stable than some of the others I have tried. For example, when Mint gets befuddled it locks my whole computer requiring restart. Ubuntu usually quickly recovers in the same situations.

I don't tweak it much, but I can if it needs it.

I'm not married to Ubuntu though. When I find something better I will certainly switch.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Linux Mint

XFCE if you want speed
Cinnamon or KDE if you want looks

Either will run fine.
View Quote

Exactly this.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I installed mint, seems to work fine except it refuses to connect to my wifi.

It can see it and attempts to connect, but fails each time. I don't use any security since I have no neighbors and the settings are all correct.

Sort of annoying, I might download ubuntu instead and see how that does out of the box. It is a pain to trouble shoot when you can't get online.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
ran opensuse and ubuntu for some time with kde/gnome. finally got lazy when i grew up and bought a macbook and mac mini.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#9]
my Win 8 laptop was wonky trying to dual boot with UEFI, so I've just been using win8.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:01:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It can see it and attempts to connect, but fails each time. I don't use any security since I have no neighbors and the settings are all correct.

Sort of annoying, I might download ubuntu instead and see how that does out of the box. It is a pain to trouble shoot when you can't get online.
View Quote

Don't go an jump the train because of a wifi issue. More than likely it will happen in Ubuntu too.

I bet I know what your problem is, because my laptop use to give me the same problem when it would wake up.

If you type

demsg

in a terminal it will list a lot of stuff. One thing is your wifi card. Check what model it is then google it and you will probably find an answer in the first two links.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#11]
So learn an entire new OS because windows changed from a start MENU to a start SCREEN?

Wow.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:25:11 AM EDT
[#12]
@!#$!##$!@#@ Linux on laptops. Never once have I had a good experience.

From WiFi drivers to not going to sleep properly to draining my battery twice as fast as Windows does.

Sorry, Windows is just better as a laptop OS.

Desktops? That's a different story altogether.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:56:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, Debian stable rools me.. for the past 4-5 years. =]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:17:49 AM EDT
[#14]
FYI - There's a Netflix workaround that works pretty well now as long as you don't mind installing WINE. I use it all the time.

I tested it on one of the previous versions of Mint, too but don't know if it works on the latest version.

I run Ubuntu on my desktop and an older laptop and have no issues. I just gave in and got used to Unity.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Debian is nowhere near as hardcore as it used to be. Simple install, great suite of apps. I have it on an old HP DM3 laptop, and works great. And I know nothing about *nix
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhh... don't tell everyone
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes.

I've been running Debian testing on my desktops for many years, I run the "stable" release for servers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

I didn't know I had a brother in Georgia
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So learn an entire new OS because windows changed from a start MENU to a start SCREEN?

Wow.
View Quote

Yeah, it's like cutting off your arm because you got a splinter in your finger.   Still, the Windows 8 UI team is a pack of football-fucking retards.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Don't go an jump the train because of a wifi issue. More than likely it will happen in Ubuntu too.

I bet I know what your problem is, because my laptop use to give me the same problem when it would wake up.

If you type

demsg

in a terminal it will list a lot of stuff. One thing is your wifi card. Check what model it is then google it and you will probably find an answer in the first two links.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you type

demsg

Google is telling me to to just plug right into the network and I should be able to get all the latest drivers.

I can't find an ethernet cable anywhere though, I think they all got thrown out, if I end up going to work today I will grab a new one on the way home.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:35:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Ubuntu sounds like an arfcom nickname for the president.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:41:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Just man up and install Debian Slackware.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ubuntu is ancient African word meaning "not smart enough to install Debian"
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just man up and install compile Debian Slackware Gentoo.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Don't XP computers have a pretty high rate of infection?

Why not use Windows 7?   I went from XP to Win 7 and didn't notice much a learning curve at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would use xp and forget it.  Just make sure to back up copies of all service packs and updates before it is discontinued.

Don't XP computers have a pretty high rate of infection?

Why not use Windows 7?   I went from XP to Win 7 and didn't notice much a learning curve at all.

Between CD/DVD burners not working correctly under Linux (and I bought a DVD burner that ubuntuforums claimed was "standard" and would work) and similar things, I went with Windows 7. I run XP in a VMWare instance inside that in order to play older games more easily.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Go with 7 Ultimate.

Windows 8 works great with touch interface PCs, but if you don't have that touch screen, it can be a bit annoying.  

Just downgrade to 7

Ubuntu is cool, but not for everyday practical use.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some of the other variants are nicer if you want things like repositories with the newest Firefox, Java and R (a statistical programming language) without having to do a lot of configuration and searching to make it work. I'll see if I can remember to look at what I installed on my girlfriend's desktop.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While Debian has its issues, the installer is actually much, much better than it used to be. It isn't any more difficult to install than Ubuntu nowadays. It's when you start wanting newer versions of things that you hit setup issues.

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:56:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Windows 8 is actually really nice when you use it for what its intended.  

I have a laptop that the screen detaches on.  So I can use it as a full functional computer in desktop mode and I can also pop the screen off and use it as a tablet.

The UI works really well for that and the touch systems you can use pulling from the borders of the screen to switch between aps.  

Now if you're using just a laptop, no touch screen, it kinda sucks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:57:40 AM EDT
[#28]
been using ubuntu now for about 6 years.

I come with free office compatable software and everything else you can think of.

there are now other linux distributions that are also GUI and work very well, but I like ubuntu.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Interesting, reading about it now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, reading about it now.

I've tried an extended trial of Debian, Ubuntu and Mint.  Debian stable is my preference.  I currently run it on an older Thinkpad, and use Gnome Classic for the desktop.

It has a few quirks.  Add contrib and non-free to your sources.  Debian backports is fairly painless to keep Iceweasel up to date over time (http://mozilla.debian.net/) and update Libreoffice to version 4 if desired.  Otherwise, just install whatever packages you want and it runs great.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got an Ubuntu 12.04 I rebooted last week that had been running nonstop since September of last year.  It's just a fog server, but still.  
On the other hand, I have 7 or 8 Dell Server 2008 machines that can't make it a month.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's a bit of a paradox, because anyone who can manage to tweak a Linux distro to suit them for daily use, can damn sure figure out how to make Windows 8 not suck.  
View Quote

Oh, SO this!

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been on Ubuntu since the 8.X days.  I'm using it on a Lenovo G530 I bought for $300 off a Vietnamese guy on Craigslist almost two and a half years ago.  Honestly, I can't tell any difference between day one and today.  I only keep it dual boot with Windows 7 for the one or two things I use every once in a while that Wine won't run right.  

Ubuntu is a great OS, IMO.  If nothing else, you can install it as a dual boot or run it off a CD to see if you like it.  After getting used to how fast things usually work in Ubuntu, I get really annoyed at Windows.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Google is telling me to to just plug right into the network and I should be able to get all the latest drivers.

I can't find an ethernet cable anywhere though, I think they all got thrown out, if I end up going to work today I will grab a new one on the way home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you type

demsg

Open a shell.  Hit ALT-F2 and search for terminal and then click on that icon.  Once you are there, type 'lspci' and find what your wireless driver is.... then Google around and figure out what package you need to install to support that driver.

Plug in a regular ethernet cable and download/install the driver... you should be good to go after that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Open a shell.  Hit ALT-F2 and search for terminal and then click on that icon.  Once you are there, type 'lspci' and find what your wireless driver is.... then Google around and figure out what package you need to install to support that driver.

Plug in a regular ethernet cable and download/install the driver... you should be good to go after that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you type

demsg

If he hasn't connected at all there are updates out there. Step on should just be updating the system.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#35]
I did a clean install and it found and connected to my network, then about 2 minutes later it died and said it was out of range.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

If you type

demsg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you type

demsg

I'd like to point out that for the casual user, this is far more of a pain in the ass than simply learning/customizing Windows 8 is.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh look another windows hate thread.  Get over yourselves and stop bitching.  I guarantee that when Windows XP came out you bitched about how it was SO much different than Windows 3.1 and why the fuck would they put a start button on anything.

You unwillingness to learn something new doesn't mean the company shouldn't try to do something different to attract a new market that wants 'shiny and slick' designs.

I you don't like it don't use it, but spare us the same ole tired arguments, nothing in this thread is original.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I did a clean install and it found and connected to my network, then about 2 minutes later it died and said it was out of range.
View Quote

did you update it?

in terminal while connected to the net type

sudo apt-get update

when it is done type

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'd like to point out that for the casual user, this is far more of a pain in the ass than simply learning/customizing Windows 8 is.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you type

demsg

And for the casual motorist learning to change your oil is not needed because of Jiffy Lube and the like, but it doesn't hurt to learn.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
did you update it?

sudo apt-get update

when it is done type

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

did you update it?

sudo apt-get update

when it is done type

There would be riots if somebody suggested this as a way to fix a similar problem with Windows 8.

I'm saying this as an unapologetic Linux geek. And I'm saying it, because I think changing operating systems for the reasons the OP has given is a really bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Would load Debian (w/ XFCE) or Mint before I'd load Ubuntu.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Get a Mac OP.
View Quote
OSX doesn't have a start menu, either.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Oh look another windows hate thread.  Get over yourselves and stop bitching.  I guarantee that when Windows XP came out you bitched about how it was SO much different than Windows 3.1 and why the fuck would they put a start button on anything.

You unwillingness to learn something new
doesn't mean the company shouldn't try to do something different to attract a new market that wants 'shiny and slick' designs.

I you don't like it don't use it, but spare us the same ole tired arguments, nothing in this thread is original.
View Quote

Like learning a whole new operating system? So how are all those different Windows desktop environments working out for you? Oh that's right you use what you are given. I bet you get to enjoy tweaking your kernel so that you get the best performance. Oh wait you can't do that either because it is closed source and you don't even know what is running.

I will not go full retard Richard Stallman!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Ubuntu is an African word meaning "I don't know how to configure Slackware."
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#45]
I can't stand Ubuntu. I've had much better luck with Fedora on 3.9 kernel.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Ubuntu is an African word meaning "I don't know how to configure Slackware."

View Quote
Which is a distro for pussies who won't ditch Linux altogether and use FreeBSD.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#47]
About 6 years ago I had an aging pc that I used Ubuntu on for a long time.  It was fun, but there were way too many limitations and when I built my next pc I went with Vista.  Recently I have been using Windows 7 and haven't attempted to fuck with Windows 8.  A couple months ago I put Ubuntu on an older laptop (mostly for web surfing while in the living room) and I was disappointed with nearly everything about it.  I tried Fedora and it was nice, but after dealing with so many driver issues I broke down and put Windows 7 back on it.  I am sure I will end up using some flavor of Linux again in the future, especially with Steam developing its own Linux OS and providing Linux support for many of my favorite games.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#48]
First, if you're going to use Ubuntu you must stop shaving your neck.  You can shave the rest of your face though that will look silly.  Best to just keep it trimmed all around but make sure not to shave your neck.

A neckbeard is semi-mandatory to run Linux on your desktop.

Second, make sure you tell everyone "I don't run Windows.".  You can do this directly (I don't run Windows) or indirectly (Windows?! Pfft, what's that?  I don't run that, I run _Linux_).  You could also act like that little bimbo on Jurassic Park and say "I know this.  This is Linux."

Third, prepare for what your next bit of one-upping will be once every Tom, Dick and Slack-jawed Harry is running Linux.  Maybe you move to Gentoo.  Or Mint.  Or CentOS.  Personally, I think you're a god damn prolapsed-asshole of a fag if you don't do Build Your Own Linux and start from scratch.  You are allowed to run Linux in a VM as your build environment, but otherwise compile everything from scratch and manually install it.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://reactos.org/

You're welcome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll go back to Windows 98....I'll do it.

http://reactos.org/

You're welcome!

That thing has been in alpha for a decade.
Something as simple as notepad crashes it.

Complete fail.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

First, if you're going to use Ubuntu you must stop shaving your neck.  You can shave the rest of your face though that will look silly.  Best to just keep it trimmed all around but make sure not to shave your neck.

View Quote

A neckbeard is semi-mandatory to run Linux on your desktop.

Second, make sure you tell everyone "I don't run Windows.".  You can do this directly (I don't run Windows) or indirectly (Windows?! Pfft, what's that?  I don't run that, I run _Linux_).  You could also act like that little bimbo on Jurassic Park and say "I know this.  This is Linux."

Third, prepare for what your next bit of one-upping will be once every Tom, Dick and Slack-jawed Harry is running Linux.  Maybe you move to Gentoo.  Or Mint.  Or CentOS.  Personally, I think you're a god damn prolapsed-asshole of a fag if you don't do Build Your Own Linux and start from scratch.  You are allowed to run Linux in a VM as your build environment, but otherwise compile everything from scratch and manually install it.

I actually ran a Linux From Scratch install for like two years, on my primary laptop. It was a great way to learn Linux intimately, because it's pretty much required if you're going to live with it day to day.

It's of ZERO use otherwise.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top