Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Folks in the oil business are experienced business men. They know when to cut their losses. They also know when to ramp up operations. In the long run, they will do just fine.
View Quote

Yep. In the mean time GD has assured me there are jobs everywhere. So the 9000 people job loss means nothing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Then the frackers will start back up again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once the frackers are out of business, OPEC will raise prices.

Yup.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yep. In the mean time GD has assured me there are jobs everywhere. So the 9000 people job loss means nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Folks in the oil business are experienced business men. They know when to cut their losses. They also know when to ramp up operations. In the long run, they will do just fine.

You dont own that job bubba.  Its yours when its available and they say they need you.  Thats life.  Look for another.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Revenue does not equate to profits.

Feel free to take your envy, greed and hubris back to the Democratic Underground and whine about life among the company of your fellow travelers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look it up. They made $12.1 billion in the 2nd quarter and $12.6 billion in the third quarter and now are crying like babies. The oil companies have been hosing
us for years while making billions and they will still make money even at these gas prices. The perfect example of American greed. Its all hype and spin and they
are setting up to justify the next round of price hikes or getting the government to either give them more money or bail them out. I have no sympathy.

Paal Kibsgaard the CEO makes in excess of $22 million a year. How many people who really work would that pay for.

Revenue does not equate to profits.

Feel free to take your envy, greed and hubris back to the Democratic Underground and whine about life among the company of your fellow travelers.

Reading and topic comprehension.  "Why some people are not concerned with an industry that has been making great profit for some time may, not make as much as before due to low gas prices that helps many".

But that's DU, right?  

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
But,but, cheap gas!
View Quote

The benefit of a diverse economy;  other industries benefit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Look it up. They made $12.1 billion in the 2nd quarter and $12.6 billion in the third quarter and now are crying like babies. The oil companies have been hosing
us for years while making billions and they will still make money even at these gas prices. The perfect example of American greed. Its all hype and spin and they
are setting up to justify the next round of price hikes or getting the government to either give them more money or bail them out. I have no sympathy.

Paal Kibsgaard the CEO makes in excess of $22 million a year. How many people who really work would that pay for.
View Quote

Oh, I do love these.

Let's see.  They actually made $5.4B in 2014; this is an 11% return on sales, which is good but not spectacular.

That's less than 15% return on equity.  Hardly what I would call abusive or somehow "unfair".  

If you feel that Slum-Burger makes too much money, perhaps instead of bitching about it you could start an oilfield services company.  This will drive prices down, so go for it.

As for the CEO comp, have you ever been a CEO of a company?  I have, and that little company was circa $50MM.  A tiny little enterprise by Schlumberger standards.  You live eat breathe shit and sleep the business you've been charged with taking care of, and no amount of money seems adequate comp.  This guy not only produces results for shareholders whose interests total $105 billion dollars, but runs a multinational, complex family of companies with all the pitfalls of being publicly traded.

If he makes too much, why don't you show up and offer your services to them (as CEO) for say, a paltry $1MM annually.  Surely they would jump at this?

Or is reality that very few people have the skillset to run such a company, and the laws of supply and demand dictate that he can ask for $22MM (which is largely compensation based on equity and therefore tied to performance) and get it?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

or maybe not...

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They knew they worked in a volatile industry and should have been stuffing money hand over fist into the bank for the lean times.

Good times never last. Nor do the bad times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hope you guys like saving $15 when filling up, because there are people out of work because of it.

They knew they worked in a volatile industry and should have been stuffing money hand over fist into the bank for the lean times.

Around here it's inground pools, quads, Harleys, King Ranch 4x4's, Mustangs, Corvettes, fishing camps, duck hunting leases and deer camp leases they invest in. And Disney 3x a year. And breast implants for their wives. At least they don't have to worry about the implants getting repo'ed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hope you guys like saving $15 when filling up, because there are people out of work because of it.
View Quote

Try $60 per fill up every three weeks.  That will add up to over a grand through a year.  That's assuming I don't actually want to do anything fun or travel,  because just a few months ago I made a 5000+ mile trip that cost over $800 in fuel alone.  

Personally after the thinly veiled threat by another team member to contact my employer because I don't think transsexuals are evil,  I don't fucking care about the jobs of others.  Get into a job market that is unstable and feel it's wrath.  Hell,  similar assholes told me that I was an idiot for growing up in the Detroit area and taking an automotive machining job.  Chicken/egg scenario,  but the oil guys didn't care that my non-union,  non-bailout employer was suffering a loss.

Just for good measure...  Once again,  I don't care.  Get a new job while they are still available.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The way "Schlumberger" is pronounced, at first I thought it was a mattress manufacturer.
View Quote

Yeah, some guys at work call them "Slumber-J" in emails and written correspondence.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But,but, cheap gas!
View Quote

bailout the oil industry! no one should ever get fired! for any reason! help me goberment!!11

/ sarcasm

Can't be profitable, go bankrupt, the employees can find another job if they have skills.

By the way, I work for an analytics company that does 90+% of their business in oil and gas, and I'll say it again, cheap oil is great for the economy, even if it rips into my companies profits.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, some guys at work call them "Slumber-J" in emails and written correspondence.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The way "Schlumberger" is pronounced, at first I thought it was a mattress manufacturer.

My favorite I have heard is "Slum Burger".
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

2008 look it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty of people lost jobs because of high gas prices too.
Where was your care for them?

Post a link where 9,000 people lost a job at one (non energy related)company solely due to the price of oil please.

What this country needs as much as any other single thing is MORE TAXPAYERS, not less.

2008 look it up.

Your link doesn't work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Your link doesn't work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post a link where 9,000 people lost a job at one (non energy related)company solely due to the price of oil please.

What this country needs as much as any other single thing is MORE TAXPAYERS, not less.

2008 look it up.

Your link doesn't work.

because we judge economic impacts based on the job gain or loss at single companies

your argument is invalid.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just hope it ruins the fucking retards who got an oil field job and went out and immediately bought a $70,000 diesel bro-dozer and now can't make the payments. Because that's a great idea in an industry as volatile as oil and gas without first building up a large safety net of cash Then, once they default on their loan, the industry comes back and the smart people who saved their money go right back to having jobs and prospering.

While in the oil-field as an EE, I grew a fond disdain for the typical piece of oilfield trash. Lot of really smart, hard-working, and great people in the industry, but they're in the minority.
View Quote

Depends on what side of the industry your in.   on my side we are mostly all career tradesmen(machinists and related) so the bad apples are fewer.  

I deal mostly offshore so haven't felt the slow down yet, and we are way under staffed.  general hands are always first to go.

Good luck to anyone affected! It's never good when someone loses their job.  

But this is oil lol. Production will slow (rig count is dropping) prices will go back up and the cycle repeats.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Who gives a shit if they all were under one company or not.
The trucking industry for one was hammered by high fuel prices and put thousands of people in small and large operations out of business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who gives a shit if they all were under one company or not.
The trucking industry for one was hammered by high fuel prices and put thousands of people in small and large operations out of business.

This is ONE company of many that are/will lay off, it doesn't matter that they are all at one simply an illustration of magnitude.

I get that you don't care, but making obscure blanket statements like "put thousands of people in small and large operations out of business", is fucking stupid. Every transportation company in America puts fuel surcharges on their freight, and when fuel drops below the point where they put it on what do you think is going to happen? that's right fuel surcharges are here to stay, because now transportation companies have come to view those surcharges as a revenue stream.

Not withstanding that, ARFCOM complains about the FSA bleeding the taxpayer and Illegals taking American jobs, and companies exporting high paying jobs to third world shit holes, and then virtually celebrates when 9,000 jobs are lost at ONE company.

FTR I am not in the oil industry, I do however know hundreds of people who are. Hundreds of people who aren't the irresponsible, tatted up, bro dozer driving oilfield trash that ARFCOM loves to hate.

Revel in another mans hardship to your hearts content, if it makes your wallet a little thicker good for you. And when your turn comes, and people are celebrating your hardship, just remember a huge percentage of ARFCOM will happily throw you under the bus for the price of a large pizza.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

OK. What about the rest of us? The drop in oil prices will save jobs in my industry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know, generally I am all for free markets and I like cheap gas as much as the next guy. That being said, I would gladly keep paying $3 a gallon at the pump to see the US energy independent from the Middle East and to keep 10's of thousands of people employed in the oil field sectors. Drilling is one of the few industries for a good wage where I live other than the University.

OK. What about the rest of us? The drop in oil prices will save jobs in my industry.

Demonstrably or speculatively?

In any industry that is affected by fuel rates, fuel surcharges are universally applied. If it is manufacturing, the additional margin will simply be absorbed as profit, and while a few jobs may be added, no manufacturer is going to embark on a large scale expansion based on what everyone recognizes as a short term draw down in oil prices.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

High gas prices put a shit load of people out of work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

High gas prices put a shit load of people out of work.

People have amnesia about how everything went to shit after that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How much money should they be allowed to make? How much money should any person be able to Make?  Your post sounds just like the liberal BS my useful idiot bother in law spews.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much money should they be allowed to make? How much money should any person be able to Make?  Your post sounds just like the liberal BS my useful idiot bother in law spews.

The industry as a whole makes 5-8% profit margin.  I know the majors are around 8%.  Maybe we should put a cap on net profit, since their margins are so low but they sell so much of it?

https://biz.yahoo.com/p/sum_qpmd.html
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Get rid of the income tax entirely!

Then go with a larger flat sales tax.  That captures everybody, including illegals and those out of work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get rid of the income tax entirely!

Then go with a larger flat sales tax.  That captures everybody, including illegals and those out of work.

I don't disagree with you although what you are describing there is not going to happen, EVER, so consequently is irrelevant.

So with that in mind I would like to see 9,0000 jobs that I would estimate at $100k each preserved and paying into the tax stream.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Never happen !!!!!! all that equipment will just get a re-furb and placed on a lot until gas prices demand their operational need

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never happen !!!!!! all that equipment will just get a re-furb and placed on a lot until gas prices demand their operational need

Unfortunately, most of the companies 'owning' that equipment also have tons of debt on that equipment. A lot of that equipment would be sold off overseas to service that debt or will sit and rust away when that company files bankruptcy.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The industry as a whole makes 5-8% profit margin.  I know the majors are around 8%.  Maybe we should put a cap on net profit, since their margins are so low but they sell so much of it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should this apply to you too, or just them?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Well, I also like lower food prices, lower bills from my landscapers, lower bills from my pool cleaner. Lower airline tickets. Lower cruise ship tickets etc etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I also like lower food prices, lower bills from my landscapers, lower bills from my pool cleaner. Lower airline tickets. Lower cruise ship tickets etc etc.
You're the optimist on the board, right?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#25]
High fuel prices put about 250,000 owner operators out of business.

As well drives up the cost of doing business in general.

Lower fuel prices will mean more trucks running. Which is jobs.

More people will be driving which will lead to more road construction, more car parts being sold, etc. Etc.

Not a big deal with a diverse economy.

And there will be more jobs in total when the oil.and gas industry comes back.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#26]
18 months and oil will be back at $75 a barrel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#27]
They've been looking for a reason to close their NY facilities anyway.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think it will be that long.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Schlumberger also chopped 9,000 jobs in 2009. Ask me how I know (or don't!)
View Quote

I was hired in 2010.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have heard similar figures. Mostly looking at 3rd quarter 2015.

Funny thing is that the crude haulers around here haven't slowed down a bit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

some people will never get ahead, no matter how much their paycheck is. i have neighbors who make 10x a year more than what my best year was,
and they live pay check to pay check. life is easier when you don't do stupid shit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone!  It's the only way to be fair, you have to set a profit margin percentage and net intake cap across all industries, or things just aren't fair.

If my sarcasm isn't detected, I'm basically on your side.  Companies that make 80% profit margins and set their own prices often are untouched, but companies that make less than 10% profit margin and are unable to set their own prices are dragged through the mud and everyone's favorite target.

I agree with you, since prices have fallen we see relief at the pump, but it's not really lowering any other prices.  Groceries aren't cheaper, even though transportation prices for those goods are down.  Airline ticket prices haven't really gone down, even though their fuel prices have fallen drastically.  Baggage fees haven't been removed.  Now government entities are seriously discussing adding substantial taxes to fuel, because gas is "too cheap".  What happens if oil spikes to $150 again, with another $.50 "carbon tax" on each gallon of gasoline and diesel?  Will the government remove these carbon taxes simply because fuel is $5/gallon again?

There are a lot of people that are hardworking, good people that will be hit hard with this.  There were good people that were hit hard when the prices skyrocketed.  It's unfortunate all around, but because other prices aren't retreating as they "should", I don't know that saving a few bucks at the fuel pump will drastically improve our economy overall.  Tens of thousands losing good-paying jobs may have a more significant impact, it is hard to say.

Airline stocks should be improving!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Everyone!  It's the only way to be fair, you have to set a profit margin percentage and net intake cap across all industries, or things just aren't fair.

If my sarcasm isn't detected, I'm basically on your side.  Companies that make 80% profit margins and set their own prices often are untouched, but companies that make less than 10% profit margin and are unable to set their own prices are dragged through the mud and everyone's favorite target.

I agree with you, since prices have fallen we see relief at the pump, but it's not really lowering any other prices.  Groceries aren't cheaper, even though transportation prices for those goods are down.  Airline ticket prices haven't really gone down, even though their fuel prices have fallen drastically.  Baggage fees haven't been removed.  Now government entities are seriously discussing adding substantial taxes to fuel, because gas is "too cheap".  What happens if oil spikes to $150 again, with another $.50 "carbon tax" on each gallon of gasoline and diesel?  Will the government remove these carbon taxes simply because fuel is $5/gallon again?

There are a lot of people that are hardworking, good people that will be hit hard with this change.
View Quote

You think that all prices are going to suddenly fall overnight because gas got cheaper? Diesel prices are still up and it's diesel that's moving those goods around.

Airline tickets are still up because they can actually make a profit now, and there's no shortage of customers. Most flights are full or near it.

There's been a whole lot of hardworking, good people that have been fucked over by overpriced fuel prices.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Don't mess it up for the liberals. They like bitching about people and companies making money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ummm...; exactly how much is that 12+ billion as a percent of sales? I just looked it up, 2.38%YTD net profit..  Not really all that much is it.

Don't mess it up for the liberals. They like bitching about people and companies making money.

I'd be interested to know how much the government made in taxes off of that company for doing nothing at all. I bet it's more than 2.38%.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ummm...; exactly how much is that 12+ billion as a percent of sales? I just looked it up, 2.38%YTD net profit..  Not really all that much is it.

Threads like this always bring them out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#36]
The major oilfield service companies carry a lot of overhead and inefficiencies along with it. Not surprising they are laying off folks.

I work for an E&P company in Pennsylvania. We have significant assets in both the Marcellus and Utica shales across PA, WV, and OH. We run fairly lean and won't be slowed much, if at all. We are not affected as much by oil as we are by the low natural gas prices.

Prices will rebound soon enough. I think it's going to be great for competition, as there will be opportunities for acquisitions if this lasts a while.

This recent boom will look like a bust after we get the ability to export LNG.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think it'll take a bit longer than that, but if you're right it won't hurt my feelings any.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

LoL.  

i paid $1.85/gal yesterday and i could not be happier.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You know, generally I am all for free markets and I like cheap gas as much as the next guy. That being said, I would gladly keep paying $3 a gallon at the pump to see the US energy independent from the Middle East and to keep 10's of thousands of people employed in the oil field sectors. Drilling is one of the few industries for a good wage where I live other than the University.
View Quote

ok.  you keep paying $3/gal at the pump.  
i'm not interested in whatever economic theory you are operating under.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Truth....You need a second mortgage to eat there anymore.....Did they hop in a brodozer?

BTW.....My monthly gas bill has dropped by better than 50% since this time last year so yeah I'm enjoying the fuck out of the lower prices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just saw two of their employees leaving Popeyes, business must not be too bad...or maybe they don't know.

Truth....You need a second mortgage to eat there anymore.....Did they hop in a brodozer?

BTW.....My monthly gas bill has dropped by better than 50% since this time last year so yeah I'm enjoying the fuck out of the lower prices.

mine too,50%
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Try $100.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IN BEFORE PEOPLE JUMP IN SAYING OIL WILL GO RIGHT BACK UP TO $75.00.  

(NOT)

Try $100.

Saudis are saying that wont happen.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Ever wonder how a 2% glut translates into a 50% reduction in the price of oil?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I save about $70 a tank! Or $192 a month.

I hope you enjoyed cheap home prices when that bubble burst and our industry was struggling.

J/K... We knew we needed as close to 100k in the bank so we could be underemployed for 3-4 years if we got laid off.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Study up
View Quote

I think about this at least once a day while passing gas stations.  "they must be making a bundle".  When fuel prices were up, everyone bitched thinking it was the stations over charging.  Now prices are low, kick in the profits. Saw a news article the other day that said congress is looking to pass a higher gas tax (which is based on per gallon, not cost per gallon).  Everyone is trying to make a buck with the current value.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I am spending my fuel savings on more oil company stock
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I wish some ARFCOMer's would of used all those tears for the manufacturing sector, instead it was rightfully so "that's what happens in the free market" and the talks of outsourcing ect. were met with "well that's how business works"

Now the Oil industry whose been riding on that gravy train for well over 5 years gets a taste of that Free market. I got to see blue-collar tradesmen loose all their shit while Highschool drop out drug-addicts were pulling 60K+ standing around pipes boo-hoo right?

Time for those chickens to come home to roost.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I am spending my fuel savings on more oil company stock
View Quote
Seems cogent.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I can get on board with $3 per gallon as well but only if we stopped protecting the ME scum who have been screwing us for decades.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I wish some ARFCOMer's would of used all those tears for the manufacturing sector, instead it was rightfully so "that's what happens in the free market" and the talks of outsourcing ect. were met with "well that's how business works"

View Quote

Now the Oil industry whose been riding on that gravy train for well over 5 years gets a taste of that Free market. I got to see blue-collar tradesmen loose all their shit while Highschool drop out drug-addicts were pulling 60K+ standing around pipes boo-hoo right?

Time for those chickens to come home to roost.

As soon as Obummer starts the next round of 'quantitative easing' and resumes printing fiat currency....the price of oil will skyrocket.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Damn

Hope everyone has been keeping up with obtaining education / learning skills, lifelong education is very important.
Page / 5
Top Top