BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Plenty of people lost jobs because of high gas prices too.
Where was your care for them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hope you guys like saving $15 when filling up, because there are people out of work because of it.

Post a link where 9,000 people lost a job at one (non energy related)company solely due to the price of oil please.

What this country needs as much as any other single thing is MORE TAXPAYERS, not less.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hope you guys like saving $15 when filling up, because there are people out of work because of it.
View Quote

More like 9K a year overall.

I like it fine.

It almost offsets the ass rape on Fertilizer,

You save 5 cents a lb over the fruit I grow, thanks to the .Gov propping up foreign competition, and not enforcing the same standards of production.

Welcome to the party pal.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I knew somebody would ruin it before I could get $1.99/gal gas here is WV. I was close tonight at $2.04.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IN BEFORE PEOPLE JUMP IN SAYING OIL WILL GO RIGHT BACK UP TO $75.00.  

(NOT)
View Quote

Try $100.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I fucking love saving my $15+. I love it so fucking much.

Those people chose to work in a volatile industry.

Sucks for them, but thems the breaks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Ouch...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe if workers in the oil industry didn't work 160 hours a week and they spread it out a little there might be some work left to live on....greedy bastards!!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I work in warehousing and logistics. We are always busy and it is great! Lots of guys left to go work oil and some are already coming back to us for their job back. Some will be rehired and some wont.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Well the whole energy independence idea was nice while it lasted.

What many of you do not know is that these new shale wells aren't like your daddy's oil wells. Many have declines in production of 70% after the first year.

Translation... you stop/slow drilling and domestic production is going to drop fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Frontier Airlines gave notice to >1000 people in Denver today, claiming that some would be re-hired by the contractor that will be replacing them. link

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Folks in the oil business are experienced business men. They know when to cut their losses. They also know when to ramp up operations. In the long run, they will do just fine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let the butt hurt flow buddy
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I knew somebody would ruin it before I could get $1.99/gal gas here is WV. I was close tonight at $2.04.
View Quote

Thanks to the state gas taxes we'll be one of the last areas to go under $2/gal.

And who is saving just $15 per fillup?  I remember when filling it up would run over $150.  Now I can get it done for about $75.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You know, generally I am all for free markets and I like cheap gas as much as the next guy. That being said, I would gladly keep paying $3 a gallon at the pump to see the US energy independent from the Middle East and to keep 10's of thousands of people employed in the oil field sectors. Drilling is one of the few industries for a good wage where I live other than the University.
View Quote

lol

When ever you read that line you know the derp is going to follow.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol

How does the free-market work again?

Shale, fracking, and tar sands wasn't a sustainable business model, not to the extent it was being used.  As a result of true price discovery some of it's going to be shut down, and the oil stays stored nicely in the ground for the day it's actually profitable to extract.  I don't see a problem here.  ...what am I missing?

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And right there is the correct answer.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

High gas prices put a shit load of people out of work.

I am from North Dakota and I say good. Pack up and leave and go back to whatever god forsaken state you came from.

Id rather have the $2 gas than them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#18]
With  roughly 150,000 employees - 9,000  to them isn't as large a number  as it would be to a smaller company. We still have a lot of work being done with them but some product has been put on hold until they can figure out what 2015 is going to bring.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#19]
The way "Schlumberger" is pronounced, at first I thought it was a mattress manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maybe if workers in the oil industry didn't work 160 hours a week and they spread it out a little there might be some work left to live on....greedy bastards!!!!
View Quote

They only get 1 hour off a day?  Sounds like BS but OK.  

If one over price product  is good for everyone, it would make sense the all products sold over real value would be better..  That doesn't make sense.

Can the laid off workers not just retrain and step into the jobs that are benefiting from lower fuel prices, or are they just part of the FSA, one trick pony, with nothing else to contribute?

Every single user of gas in the US (if not world) is paying half of what they were a year ago.  That's a heck of a lot of money left to be spent elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am from North Dakota and I say good. Pack up and leave and go back to whatever god forsaken state you came from.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

High gas prices put a shit load of people out of work.

Interesting....I've heard that the boom was not all it was cracked fracked up to be for the locals. Still and all I'll bet "Mom & Pop" enjoyed ass-raping the workers while they could.....And had the good sense to salt some of the money away.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#22]
The bad thing about booms is busts come with them. Everyone knows that. Everyone in the petroleum industry should have that tattooed on their nutsack, just in case they forget.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You know, generally I am all for free markets and I like cheap gas as much as the next guy. That being said, I would gladly keep paying $3 a gallon at the pump to see the US energy independent from the Middle East and to keep 10's of thousands of people employed in the oil field sectors. Drilling is one of the few industries for a good wage where I live other than the University.
View Quote

The insane doctrine of wealth through scarcity.  Derp, if gas isn't $3 a gallon, people will stop working, Hur Duh-erp!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Supply and demand people.
Everyone thought OPEC was going to reduce production
To keep prices high. They were wrong and prices started to tank.
A good comparison is the ar15 market today
And where it was during the 2012 panic.
The oil market is flooded right now, as they say salad days...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#25]
The company I work for is saving around $11, 000 a day, just in deadhead miles.
I like having a job, so yeah, I'm fuckin diggin it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Post a link where 9,000 people lost a job at one (non energy related)company solely due to the price of oil please.

What this country needs as much as any other single thing is MORE TAXPAYERS, not less.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2008 look it up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I like cheap gas.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who gives a shit if they all were under one company or not.
The trucking industry for one was hammered by high fuel prices and put thousands of people in small and large operations out of business.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have been told on this very site that if I don't like my job I should quit and do something else. If their job goes away they should do something else, the oil industry has always been volatile, maybe plan for a rainy day when things were good?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Once the frackers are out of business, OPEC will raise prices.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#31]
meh, happens all the time in the oil industry.

I worked for them in 98.  Got laid off right after I bought a house back when oil was $30 barrel.  Life goes on.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't recall any concern for my well being from you folks when I was paying $4.25/gal. for heating oil last winter.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:49:20 AM EDT
[#33]
this "bust" is nothing like in th 80's.  back then the rig count peaked at 4500 and dropped to a few hundred,  during the latest "boom" the rig count never even broke 2000, but there has been a price collapse for reasons no one can really figure out, back in the 80's volker raised interest rates to extreme levels to tame inflation which contributed to the "bust" back then

oil is finding a bottom so enjoy these gas prices while they last
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK. What about the rest of us? The drop in oil prices will save jobs in my industry.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Meh. If the one energy company I work for fracs 3-4 pads a year at 100 stages I'll have year around work. Not worried in the least.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
this "bust" is nothing like in th 80's.  back then the rig count peaked at 4500 and dropped to a few hundred,  during the latest "boom" the rig count never even broke 2000, but there has been a price collapse for reasons no one can really figure out, back in the 80's volker raised interest rates to extreme levels to tame inflation which contributed to the "bust" back then. We dont have that situation now, some excess supply (1.5MBD over the 90MBD world daily use ie razor thin excess) and the world economy is fucked up in europe, japan and china is slowing, so the demand side is fucked up currently,  

all of this is sorting itself out, oil is finding a bottom so enjoy these gas prices while they last
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:04:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never happen !!!!!! all that equipment will just get a re-furb and placed on a lot until gas prices demand their operational need
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get rid of the income tax entirely!

Then go with a larger flat sales tax.  That captures everybody, including illegals and those out of work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No surprise.

Oil goes up and down.... Jobs go up and down in tandem.

Of course the morons that work the wells probably drank all the money and will now be on welfare instead of being on vacation and comfortable for the next couple years.
View Quote

Almost no one involved saves any money and they have to know there is always a crash. In the early '80s boom I had an uncle with a private airplane and pilot flying around the country making deals, blowing and going. In six months he went from that to living at home with his elderly mother.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Schlumberger net profit.

http://ycharts.com/companies/SLB/profit_margin

Liberal minds aren't good at business math
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just hope it ruins the fucking retards who got an oil field job and went out and immediately bought a $70,000 diesel bro-dozer and now can't make the payments. Because that's a great idea in an industry as volatile as oil and gas without first building up a large safety net of cash Then, once they default on their loan, the industry comes back and the smart people who saved their money go right back to having jobs and prospering.

While in the oil-field as an EE, I grew a fond disdain for the typical piece of oilfield trash. Lot of really smart, hard-working, and great people in the industry, but they're in the minority.
View Quote

Nothing changes. There were lots of these high dollar pickups lost at the end of the '80s boom that I saw. My grandfather had a '49 Chevy PU when I was a kid that he got cheap from an oil field worker that bought it new and then had to sell it right after that when he went broke.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Almost no one involved saves any money and they have to know there is always a crash. In the early '80s boom I had an uncle with a private airplane and pilot flying around the country making deals, blowing and going. In six months he went from that to living at home with his elderly mother.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No surprise.

Oil goes up and down.... Jobs go up and down in tandem.

Of course the morons that work the wells probably drank all the money and will now be on welfare instead of being on vacation and comfortable for the next couple years.

Around here it seems to be 3-4 vehicles, Harley's, side by sides, expensive houses, ect. All noted up and upside down in everything. Talking to several I know they don't have a months worth of savings put back. Quite a few of these guys can barley spell their name and had a hard time getting a minimum wage job before the shale. It's going to be hard times for many real soon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#44]
They'll be able to slide into jobs flipping hambergers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Look it up. They made $12.1 billion in the 2nd quarter and $12.6 billion in the third quarter and now are crying like babies. The oil companies have been hosing
us for years while making billions and they will still make money even at these gas prices. The perfect example of American greed. Its all hype and spin and they
are setting up to justify the next round of price hikes or getting the government to either give them more money or bail them out. I have no sympathy.

Paal Kibsgaard the CEO makes in excess of $22 million a year. How many people who really work would that pay for.
View Quote

Revenue does not equate to profits.

Feel free to take your envy, greed and hubris back to the Democratic Underground and whine about life among the company of your fellow travelers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then the frackers will start back up again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Airline industries are hiring .
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Look it up. They made $12.1 billion in the 2nd quarter and $12.6 billion in the third quarter and now are crying like babies. The oil companies have been hosing
us for years while making billions and they will still make money even at these gas prices. The perfect example of American greed. Its all hype and spin and they
are setting up to justify the next round of price hikes or getting the government to either give them more money or bail them out. I have no sympathy.

Paal Kibsgaard the CEO makes in excess of $22 million a year. How many people who really work would that pay for.
View Quote

Click.  Ignore.  Moron.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#49]

Hi
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully the frackers will find a way to get oil out of the ground cheaper and will be able to deal with 48 dollar a barrel oil
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ummm...; exactly how much is that 12+ billion as a percent of sales? I just looked it up, 2.38%YTD net profit..  Not really all that much is it.
View Quote

Yup. The oil industry has razor thin profit margins.  They have to rocknroll 100% of the time and be as efficient as possible to make any money(which isnt a bad thing guys.)  Its tiring to hear ignorant ass people complain about how much this or that company makes without knowing a thing about their margins.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top