Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:43:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:48:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#3]
With the fog of war and high quality Russian maintenance, it would not surprise me to eventually learn that there was a malfunction and one of those big P-1000 Vulcan missiles blew up in the tube.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#6]
This is from Russian Defence Ministry. Don't know how much I would trust it.

Russian Ministry of Defense:

?? The source of fire on the cruiser "Moskva" is localized. There is no open fire. Explosions of ammunition have been stopped.

?? Cruiser "Moskva" keeps buoyancy. The main missile armament was not damaged.

?? The crew was evacuated to the ships of the Black Sea Fleet in the area.

?? Arrangements are being made to tow the cruiser to port.

?? The cause of the fire is under investigation
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#8]
blyat
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

?? The source of fire on the cruiser "Moskva" is localized. There is no open fire. Explosions of ammunition have been stopped.

View Quote

If it gets a tow we will definitely see the damage and will likely be able to determine if a missile was involved or not.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hit it again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So what would this Russian ship be classified as ? I'll admit I'm not that studied up on ships or Navy issues.
View Quote
It's one of the largest class of surface combatant in the Russian navy, the only thing larger is the Kirov.  The kirov is a big ole boat with a lot of hurt on tap.

The Slava is similar to our Ticonderoga class cruisers in purpose.  The Ticos are primarily air defense, the Slava does air defense and surface warfare.

It's a major asset, they don't have carriers so this one is way up on the list, I think they only have a couple Kirovs in service.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Gonna be dark in a few hours over there. We must have pics of this smoking Russian cruiser before sundown. Come on internet, make it happen!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For what it's worth Dutch mainstream media reporting has sunk But Russia says it's being towed.

Wonder what the casuatly numbers are with a Missle hit -> Magazine explosion -> On its side -> Sleeping with the fishes.

All in at night in shtty cold water.

View Quote

We will see. I don’t think Russia wants to let anyone know it sunk for as long as they can. “Towed away to unknown port for repair”.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Isn't that what I said ? Of course its a legitimate target.

Doesn't mean it won't piss Putin off and bring retaliation though for the hit to his ego and Russian pride.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ship was a completely legitimate target
, and reasonable action for Ukraine. But that said I also was concerned about the reaction from Russia when I saw this. I get his point. I'm not even saying they shouldn't have done it, but it might have consequences. That is all I think you can assume from his post.

Then again if they are trying to play it off as an accidental fire and not an attack from missiles maybe they'll shrug it off to avoid the embarrassment of admitting what happened.

Do people here not understand war or something? In war... the assets of the person attacking you are generally legit targets...

Isn't that what I said ? Of course its a legitimate target.

Doesn't mean it won't piss Putin off and bring retaliation though for the hit to his ego and Russian pride.

It could be bad.  The Russians could start indiscriminately shelling cities, killing civilians, and raping the population.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It could be bad.  The Russians could start indiscriminately shelling cities, killing civilians, and raping the population.
View Quote

Are they not doing that now ???
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check the calibration on your sarcasm detector, that is exactly his point I believe.

Hit it again if its still floating.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#17]
If only there were satellite photos of the ship.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Hmfph.  I've got pics of a Slava class when she visited NOB back... in... the day.  89?  I'll have to dig them out.  Do the hull nos. change?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#19]
New task for the R/V Petrel?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hit it again.
View Quote

Hit it and the tugs that come for it.  Plus any destroyers sent to guard
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Pentagon official claimed it was still afloat and moving east...so I'd be inclined to say it hasn't actually sunk. Yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If only there were satellite photos of the ship.
View Quote

There is a robot joint, an awacs, and there was a global hawk broadcasting on ads-B not long ago.  The global hawk was right over top the general area of the sinking over the sea, but it went dark maybe a few minutes ago
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There is a robot joint, an awacs, and there was a global hawk broadcasting on ads-B not long ago.  The global hawk was right over top the general area of the sinking over the sea, but it went dark maybe a few minutes ago
View Quote
There are 2 rivets up right now.  I've not seen that before.  One just on the coast of Romania and one looking at kaliningrad.  E-3s up too.

I think those assets are the most important thing NATO is doing for Ukraine.    Doesn't matter what weapons you have if you can't target them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well, sunk could be regarded as being one form of bad damage...
View Quote

“Severe flooding”
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There are 2 rivets up right now.  I've not seen that before.  One just on the coast of Romania and one looking at kaliningrad.  E-3s up too.

I think those assets are the most important thing NATO is doing for Ukraine.    Doesn't matter what weapons you have if you can't target them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why no pictures?  Someone should be able and willing to confirm definitively whether it has sunk or not.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Serious question: how would an Iowa class hold up to a hit from a modern anti-ship missile?
View Quote

That would depend on the missile warhead size and type, and the attack profile, and where exactly it hit.  Modern ASMs aren't built to hit 18 inch hardened cemented armor such as the conning tower of an Iowa class and still function.  Similar story for the belt and face of the turrets.  Superstructure, anywhere not in the armored citidel, and to a lesser degree the decks, tops and sides of turrets are more vulnerable, and things like optics, antennas are still fragile.

Short answer is an Iowa is probably the most resistant exisitng hull against ASMs but I still wouldn't volunteer to get hit by one.  Still could get a mobility kill, firepower kill, or mission kill on it.  They could probably shrug off an Exocet, but a Shipwreck might be another kettle of fish.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why no pictures?  Someone should be able and willing to confirm definitively whether it has sunk or not.
View Quote

nothing on the Pentagon's Instagram yet?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hit it again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The source of fire on the cruiser "Moskva" is localized. There is no open fire. Explosions of ammunition have been stopped.

Cruiser "Moskva" keeps buoyancy. The main missile armament was not damaged.

The crew was evacuated to the ships of the Black Sea Fleet in the area.

Arrangements are being made to tow the cruiser to port.

The cause of the fire is under investigation

Hit it again.

Die Hard - Hans Gruber Hit It Again
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Womp womp
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#31]
The Russians and the North Koreans have a fixation on large missiles

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It is the flagship of the Black Sea fleet. The literal definition of a capital warship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Belgrano (ex-Pheonix) was a cruiser.  Cruisers are not "capital warships":  this term is usually reserved for battleships, battlecruisers, and aircraft carriers.
It is the flagship of the Black Sea fleet. The literal definition of a capital warship.

No.

"Flagship" =/= "capital ship".

Definition of flagship
1: the ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision of a fleet and flies the commander's flag

That can literally be a garbage scow.  Being a flagship does not confer "capital ship" status.

Definition of capital ship
: a warship of the first rank in size and armament : a major surface ship (as a battleship, cruiser, aircraft carrier)

Please note - the Merriam Webster definition includes "cruiser", but in this sense they are referring to vessels such as the Kirov class battlecruisers or the Alaska class ... substantially larger and more important vessels than the Moskva.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hmfph.  I've got pics of a Slava class when she visited NOB back... in... the day.  89?  I'll have to dig them out.  Do the hull nos. change?
View Quote

That was the Marshall Ustinov. I took the tour, traded some sweet swag, conversed a little via my rudimentary German that a few of them also understood.
Ended up with one of those big round dress uniform hats, with the ship name on a ribbon and the big hammersickle pin, some packs of their horrible smokes, a wierd lighter, and a set of ribbons with a medal of some sort.
They got a zippo lighter and 2 packs of Camel lights, along with a few loosies.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's one of the largest class of surface combatant in the Russian navy, the only thing larger is the Kirov.  The kirov is a big ole boat with a lot of hurt on tap.

The Slava is similar to our Ticonderoga class cruisers in purpose.  The Ticos are primarily air defense, the Slava does air defense and surface warfare.

It's a major asset, they don't have carriers so this one is way up on the list, I think they only have a couple Kirovs in service.
View Quote

They have a carrier  -  it just isn't feeling well right now.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Two RC-135V's at once is pretty common the last month in the area. The British have one too joining in.
Plus there is an E=8C from time to time.

What is not so usual is that there is a Boeing WC-135 Constant Phoenix airborne over the UK now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#36]

In Soviet Russia, big missiles burn big ships
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Damn, I seriously want to see pics of the aftermath.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hit it again.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

"Kursk"
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hit it again.
View Quote

Would definitely prove the missile side of the story.
The Brits have been sending anti-ship missiles.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not from a Neptune test. That is the HMS Boxer in 2004. Sunk as a target ship. That damage is from a harpoon, which has a 50% larger warhead than a Neptune.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

“Severe flooding”
View Quote

Float anomaly
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone have a map of the current Russian fleet in the Black Sea?  Would be interesting to see other ship available as reefs.  For the time being, I would think that anything that can fire missiles to the shore would be an immediate target.  Troop carriers and assault ships not as important at this point.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Moskva Cruiser: What You Need To Know
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pentagon official claimed it was still afloat and moving east...so I'd be inclined to say it hasn't actually sunk. Yet.
View Quote

That's unfortunate. Let's hope that info is incorrect.

If it is still afloat, maybe we will get lucky and it will sink under tow or just be a total loss.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Same here. My father served from 44 to 69, fuck that noise. Army all the way!
View Quote

Me too. 2 uncles during WW2 on destroyers. I went Airborne.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A good thing but putin is gonna retaliate
View Quote

Well yeah...that's what they all want...

And then NATA aka U.S.A. can jump in...with Biden as Commander In Chief. (run by Obama-Soros & Company)
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#49]
New info is that it has “major” damage and is heading back to port.

Pentagon says it’s under its own power.

Official Russian MOD says it’s being towed.

I guess the Russian mod is more pessimistic? Lol
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Just a few paint chips. Nothing to see here.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top