BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i love these threads.

Just getting reading to post the same thing.

Thanks OP

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Different brand, but looks a lot like this .410 of mine.

Same surface rust when I got it... I'll be doing some restoration.

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't it funny that a lot of the "cheap" shotguns from yesteryear are often made better than some name brand stuff today?
As always, I enjoyed another thread about a nice older firearm.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the same shotgun in 12ga that was a find. Literally found it in the yard when we bought the house. I have been using naval jelly to try and pry away the corrosion, so its a work in progress to say the least. Nice to see one that is complete and functional. During my research of the brand I read that they used black powder in the early production models, and to not try and fire it with modern smokeless powder shells. Truth or internet fiction?
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
What proportions on the stock finish? What type of alcohol are you using?
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I do enjoy a classic single shot...Nice job restoring OP
When I was but a pup, I knew a guy, and ignorant of even the most basic firearms laws, he may have had an Iver Johnson exactly like that in 12 guage. He may have even sawed it off as far back as would allow the foregrip to still function as a latch, and welded a tie rod end for a pistol grip. He may have fiddled around with a steel bar heated and bent into a folding stock, and then painted the ever loving poop out of it and hid it in the barn, so he could take it out on the tractor while bush-hogging and shoot snakes and rabbits and whatever else he flushed. Even sawed off he bet the choke on it would pass as modified on a normal length gun. Lord help me that thing stung when fired, but I could hit with it like you wouldn't believe...
Come to think of it, he used to shoot 16 gauge shells out of it most times, as he had a couple cases of 16 gauge shells and no 16 gauge gun...
Good times growing up with welders and torches and guns and free time... some of the other cool stuff he made that would get him some hard time nowadays.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Another wonderful thread. Thanks once again OP

Quoted:
I had to buy my first gun on my own.

So did I .

My father destroyed the dbl 12ga after I Mad Maxed it

My second gun , a Nylon 66 , I also bought myself back in the early 80's . I shot it for the first time in almost 25 years, just a couple days ago.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another wonderful thread. Thanks once again OP

Thanks.

My second gun , a Nylon 66 , I also bought myself back in the early 80's . I shot it for the first time in almost 25 years, just a couple days ago.

I had a Nylon 76, the lever action model.  I sure wish I still had it.

That's the second time I've heard one of them mentioned ( I think it was you ) ...........for the life of me , I cant picture one of them.

off to google..........

ETA...........A-HAAAAA.........OK , now I recognize it
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Great thread.  I wish I could find some diamonds in the rough.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome thread O_P and nice job on that fine old gun.  Your threads are always fun to read and informative.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What finish coat did you use?  Gloss? Satin?

FB

I used some Minwax Fast Dry Polyurethane, Clear Semi-Gloss.  There's a picture of the can in the original post.

I like the result.

I use the same stuff-it's worked well on a couple guns I did, and my grandfather loved the look it gave his rifle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm sure you remember our conversation at the SHOT Show, during that conversation you told me "I learn so much from ARFCOM".

I assure you, you do a lot of teaching too.... cause I usually learn a lot from you in these threads

Great thread as always.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Good stuff.  I always love to read what O_P has to say.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Another fine thread O_P.   Bravo good man.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Great job O_P!

I have one of the Iver Johnson Champion shotguns in .410.  It has a slight bulge about 4 inches from the muzzle.  I asked my dad about it and he said that's what happens when you stick it in a snowbank and pull the trigger.  

I refinished it a few years ago.  I'll have to shoot some photos.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#22]
My Grandpa gave me his Champion .410 after he had open heart surgery and a pacemaker put in sine he couldn't shoot it any longer.  I still have it and I love that gun.  I used to take it to work with me when I worked on a dairy and shoot dove with it.  It's the only gun I could hit them with!  I'm not a very good shot with a shotgun but I can shoot that little thing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#23]
GREAT JOB!!!

BTW, I use bronze wool instead of steel wool to remove rust.  More expensive but it is hard to damage steel with bronze.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Great Post.

For several years now, I have been eyeballing my neighbors Iver Johnson M1 Carbine. He got it from a Vietnamese guy who said it was last used in the Vietnam war. I cant say that is true but you can tell it hasn't fired a shot in a long long time. It is missing parts, the barrel needs to be reblued and the stock needs refinishing. It probably could use a new firing pin too. I told my neighbor I would like to take a crack at re finishing it and making it functional again but he is reluctant. He also has an old rusted shotgun that could be a fine weapon again with some time and care that his father in law found some place and gave to him.

Seeing your post makes me want to talk to him about re finishing that M1 carbine again.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well fellows, an interesting update.

I sent a link to Tman's brother, Bob.  He is a good friend of mine and lives in Alabama.

He sent me a response:

I was very interested in this article regarding the restoration a single barrel 20 ga.  After about the 3rd sentence I yelled....my 410 is just like that.  I jumped up and ran to the closet and dug out my 410 and sure enough it was just like the one you had bought and refinished.  Mine is in its "natural condition" which means it has been well used but not taken real good care of.  The wood on mine is about like the one you refinished but my metal has a little more surface rust.  I am attaching a picture of mine.  My mother bought it for me when I was in the third grade which was in 1953.  She bought Turk (Tman) a bolt action Mossberg 410 the same year.  This was my hunting gun until I was in the 5th or 6th grade when I moved up to the model 12 16 gauge that I still have.  Prior to me getting the 410, I used an old lady's 410 single shot. My uncle would carry it and give it to me to shoot when we saw a squirrel or rabbit.  Anyway, old guns like that bring back a lot of good old memories.

Here's the picture he sent.

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=20898

Small world, and all that.

Yet another classic Old_Painless... I have an old Rem "youth" length single-shot 20 GA that needs a bit of updating for my nephews/nieces.  

Certainly can't hurt the value of it...

B2

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 4:08:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the same shotgun in 12ga that was a find. Literally found it in the yard when we bought the house. I have been using naval jelly to try and pry away the corrosion, so its a work in progress to say the least. Nice to see one that is complete and functional. During my research of the brand I read that they used black powder in the early production models, and to not try and fire it with modern smokeless powder shells. Truth or internet fiction?

If it was produced and used for black powder, then it is unsafe to fire with smokeless powder.

My shotgun was produced in the 1950's, and is made for smokeless.

a lot of old shotguns were made out of very mild steel and should not be fired at all.  damascus guns, forget it.  do not shoot.

so use caution.  i would not shoot a corroded shotgun.  something about a facefull of shrapnel discourages me.  call me a wussy if you must

aside from that, a lot of single shot shotguns will make you CRY.

I had a 16 ga that weighed about the same as a whiffle bat and nobody could stand to shoot it.  i mean nobody.  running through a box of shells was torture
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#30]
great job as always, I always enjoy these threads
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Just another big thank you to O_P for what you do.

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you know how they get the case hardened look?  I have always loved that look on a gun.

It cannot be easily done by a home gunsmith.  It requires special chemicals, tanks, heaters, etc.  That's why I was careful with it.

Case hardening is risky also, there is a chance that the process will destroy the part. I know of a way to replicate the results, but if you don't know what you are doing you can also ruin the piece really fast, so I won't describe it here.

A friend from school built his own action and sent it off to be case hardened and it came back cracked.

From my little understanding of it, the part is placed in a container( clay maybe) with charcoal and bone pieces and burned.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know how they get the case hardened look?  I have always loved that look on a gun.

It cannot be easily done by a home gunsmith.  It requires special chemicals, tanks, heaters, etc.  That's why I was careful with it.

I thought Brownell's sold a kit for that?

In any case, I'm pretty sure it requires heating the part in a can full of leather scraps and bone meal to give it the mottled, multicolor effect. Probably not something most wives would want going in in their oven.

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
O_P
Another useful (and well done post).  I do have a question I'm hoping you can answer.

My father gave me an old shotgun like this a few years back..However it's non funcitonal as it's missing a part or two.  Do you know of any places that may have parts for old shotguns?

try numerich's or Jack First
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
O_P
Another useful (and well done post).  I do have a question I'm hoping you can answer.

My father gave me an old shotgun like this a few years back..However it's non funcitonal as it's missing a part or two.  Do you know of any places that may have parts for old shotguns?

Magurgle gave you a couple of possibilities, and he is very  knowledgeable.

Also you might post over on Shotgunworld.com.

awe shucks now you got me blushing
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Tag because I've got a few old scatter guns to refinish.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Different brand, but looks a lot like this .410 of mine.

Same surface rust when I got it... I'll be doing some restoration.

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj368/DrMark43/EasternArms4.jpg

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj368/DrMark43/EasternArms.jpg
I have my dads Eastern Arms Co. 16 gauge single shot!  Unfortunately I "refinished" the stock when I was young and sanded it to much.  It no longer fits the receiver properly.

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Very nice work on those shotguns.  This has gotten me thinking about an old shotgun that I have now that has been in my family since the Civil War.  I don't have any expectations that it has any value outside of our family, so I am not real concerned about ruining it by doing too much to it.  Although, I do want to keep it looking as original as I can.  It has been laying around for decades just wrapped up in an old quilt.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try (what would you do)?  The options that I see are:

1. Do nothing
2. Rub a little oil on it from time to time
3. Rub it down with #0000 steel wool (with or without oil) inside and out and re-brown it and wipe it with oil
4. Use electrolysis to remove the rust from all the parts, scrub it down to shiny metal, re-brown it and wipe it with oil

BTW, the barrel was damaged defending against an axe attack during the war.

There is bad rust towards the end of the barrels

Thanks for any suggestions,

Scott
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it was produced and used for black powder, then it is unsafe to fire with smokeless powder.

My shotgun was produced in the 1950's, and is made for smokeless.

a lot of old shotguns were made out of very mild steel and should not be fired at all.  damascus guns, forget it.  do not shoot.

so use caution.  i would not shoot a corroded shotgun.  something about a facefull of shrapnel discourages me.  call me a wussy if you must

aside from that, a lot of single shot shotguns will make you CRY.

I had a 16 ga that weighed about the same as a whiffle bat and nobody could stand to shoot it.  i mean nobody.  running through a box of shells was torture

My step-dad told me it would definitely make a good "wall hangar" so I am not going to attempt to fire the thing when I get finished. Also, my first shotgun was a single shot 12ga  that my dad bought me for Christmas years ago. I remember having to buy a recoil pad just to shoot the thing because it left bruises on my shoulder. A couple weeks ago I fired off a slug and quickly remembered why I rarely ever shoot the thing. It beats the crap outta you!

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I did that same thing 3 days ago on a very similar 410 bore scatter gun, it had been apart for a better part of a decade because it had a broken trigger leaf spring that I couldn't find a replacement for.  Had some spring steel laying about made one not it works again.

Hammer model made long before serial numbers were required, have to figure it was made in the late 1880's or early part of the 1900's.  Damned if it has no unique marks to ID it. Riverside Arms was in bus. from 1877 to 1988, it was really old when I my Dad bought it for me 23 years ago.

I restored a Remington 510 targetmaster made in 1937 it was browned when I got it so that's what it got for a coating, looks as good as it shoots. Another $50 gun that is worth more to me than some1 else.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks OP. Gives me the itch to go out and get a fixer upper.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fantastic!!  Great deal and wonderful job.  
... and what a nice tribute to Tman to use some finish he mixed to refinish a wonderful old find like this.  

That's exactly what I was thinking.

On a sad note, as I was sending an e-mail to my friends to link them to the thread, I came upon the e-mail address of my old buddy HoustonHusker.

I kind of got a lump in my throat as I deleted the address from my address book.

I still have Wayne Henry's contact info on my cell phone and the last 4 IM's he sent to me.  I simply can't bring myself to delete them.  Good friends like that are way too hard to find and even harder to lose.

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Your thread has got me looking to score a cheap one somewhere. Any suggestions in finding one? Id like to place a ad locally to see what it drums up as all the pawn shops and stores around here want gold for anything
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top