Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2015 8:15:03 PM EDT
Working on a cement floor for 8 hours a day... need good walking shoes but don't care for name brands unless they are really worth it...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#1]
In for responses also.  Been seeing them around lately and really like them, however dont know if they are worth the $140+ pricetag.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, fo fo sho.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Keen makes a super comfortable steel toe that looks like I hiking boot. I liked them more than red wings.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I liked their Worx line better.  I had a few pairs of the sneaker style Worx shoes and they were great.  Then something changed w/ the last ones that I had.  They didn't feel as good and wore out quicker.  Since I liked the budget ones I figured the more expensive Red Wing would be even better.  I bought the highest dollar ones the store had.  Wore them for a couple of weeks and they hurt my legs from the knees down.  Stuck them in the closet and wore another boot for years.  They have been put back into service because I hate having such expensive boots just sitting in my closet and I don't have to stand as much as I used to so they don't bother me as much.  But now they have developed a squeak when I walk.  It started in one and now both do it.  I have tried everything from removing the insoles to putting tape on the tread and the squeaking persists.  I doubt I will buy another pair and may try the Worx again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. The last 10 years I spent as a big truck mechanic. Oil, grease, cement floors, torch slag. Only two pair of (Redwing) boots during that span. The 10 years before that, I don't remember how many pairs of brand-x boots I went through.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes they are.

Also buy them from a real Red Wing dealer.

You can bring in your shoes or boots at anytime and get them cleaned, sealed, and shined. Free.

If they need laces, they replace them. Free.

If you have a defect, They replace them. Within the warranty.

If you wear out the soles before the warranty is over. They will replace the soles.

I have two pairs in steel tip. I looking at an outdoor type. Hard with 9 1/2 HH.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes they are.

You can bring in your shoes or boots at anytime and get them cleaned, sealed, and shined. Free.

If you wear out the soles before the warranty is over. They will replace the soles.

I have two pairs in steel tip. I looking at an outdoor type. Hard with 9 1/2 HH.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#9]
yes
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#10]
After owning my first pair of Danners, I'll never own Red Wings again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I love mine. Have two Chinese pair that are comfy as hell. Third pair on the right is a new pair fully American made. I'm holding out till I need them.

At this point, I don't know that I'll shop for any other brand. Also helps that work pays for em.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I've worn them for over 25 years exclusively in construction. I have 2 types, a "chukka" boot and a 8" Vibram soled boot.

At the end of the day my feet don't hurt. Can't say that with all the other brands of boots I wore before the Redwings.

They cost a lot but my feet are worth it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I like them because my work place pays for them ....  

I also own a pair of steel toed engineer boots that I wear when
riding my leaking Harley ....
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#14]
no, their junk, especially the Worx line..

cheap junk that fell apart on me in 3 months, regular autoshop work.

honestly, I have a pair of steel toe puma workshoes that have been great. little cold now in winter but holding up 100x better then any but really old Red wings.

they run about $100.

edit: brain is frozen
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I have owned one pair of Red Wing boots, and I did not have good luck with them.  They fell apart on me in a summer.  I seem to be in the minority though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Redwings can be hit or miss...

I wear Keens now.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I went Red Wing about 5 years ago due to Plantar Fasciatus,  helped cure me.  Wore the first pair for 3 years, which is amazing for me.  I watch ebay for new boots, usually get them for less than half if they are my size and model.  Be prepared to replace the insole every year.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#18]
They used to be years ago , I stopped buying them 6/7 years ago because the quality went to shit . I work construction , I used to get 18 months out of a pair , the last two pair shit the bed in 8 months .  I don't mind paying $200 for boots , but they have to keep my feet warm / dry and hold up !
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Make sure you are getting American Made Redwings. Otherwise you are going to be sooo unhappy. Same for DocMartins and others.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#20]
TIMBERLAND FTW!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Red Wing boots for 25+ years. Only boots I wear.

Have work pair, a good pair and a new pair in the closet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I have wore the steel toed redwing for 7 years concrete 12 hr shift. Great shoe won't buy nothing else
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought my first pair last oct and I dig them
Bought at the local redwing store in town after looking online - the local store was 2 bucks cheaper overall including tax.
I also exclusively only considered the boots offered in the heritage line as they are the USA made ones.
Took a month or so to break in the foot pad and now they are comfortable.

These are the work chukkas
I want the low cut work oxford next .
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#25]

get any kind of shoe or boot you want and add these to them.  These are NOT Dr schols crap insoles.

Ener-gel insoles are the BEST. http://www.energelinsole.com/home.html  

use code SAVE20 for 20% off and free shipping too.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#26]
US Made. Skip the Chinese boots, which now comprises most of the line.

I wear logger boots, so I took a chance on the $180 Chinese boot rather than spend $500 on the single US made logger model. I am wearing Chippewas now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#27]
No.  Overpriced Chinese shit.  Danner for the same price point, Whites for something better.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I got pair of Irish setters they are great boots I am actually looking to get a set of redwing heritage boots as dress shoes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't know about shoes, but they make boots with a special rubber sole that is just for concrete.  They are GREAT.
View Quote

I bought a pair of those when I worked for UPS in college.  That was 30 years ago, though.  There have to be better options out there now.  A good boot that fits with a cushioned midsole and Superfeet or another good insole should work.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Im on my 4th pair ofor boots from them, they've all been really comfortable but this last pair doesn't seem to be holding up as well as the first three

Etc fucking phone
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Been wearing them for work for a few years now (company pays for them), I like them and find them comfortable and durable.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes they are.

View Quote

This.

Footwear has gone to absolute and total SHIT in the last 20-30 years.

Red Wing is the last of the larger boot and shoe makers, to actually make a damn good product, and stand behind them 100%.
They run true to size, and it's the same dimension as it always was...none of the Metric Faggotry relabled as U.S. sizes, in order to use the bastardized asian forms that are incorrect, and cause all sorts of problems.

Wesco, Whites, and the rest of the Boutique footwear, might be good, but good luck finding a shop that carries them, much less maintains them, outside of very few shops scattered around out west.

2 pairs of Red wings over 10 years, or 9 pairs of 150 dollar, fish head eating trash over the same time that will cause back problems, and wreck your feet.
The economics of it are easy. Cheap shit isn't always less costly.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#33]
worth every penny
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

TIMBERLAND FTW!!
View Quote
They dont make them in my size

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Worth as much as a NRA membership
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#36]
You'll always make the playoffs...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#37]
in spite of the fact that they've become hipster chic, redwings are absolutely GTG
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
in spite of the fact that they've become hipster chic, redwings are absolutely GTG
View Quote

Not really. Their iron rangers seem to be a well made casual boot. I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 miles for that purpose.

Redwing... Said it many times, too narrow for me. Seem to be well made but they don't have the specs I want in a boot. Yes even the H width king toe was too narrow. 12W in my Matterhorns, 12 in Carolinas, 13 in almost every athletic type shoe.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Take a look at Danners  too. My Pronghorns  are the best boots I've owned.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Only boots I wear.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Them or Carolinas have been on my flat feet for years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not really. Their iron rangers seem to be a well made casual boot. I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 miles for that purpose.

Redwing... Said it many times, too narrow for me. Seem to be well made but they don't have the specs I want in a boot. Yes even the H width king toe was too narrow. 12W in my Matterhorns, 12 in Carolinas, 13 in almost every athletic type shoe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I was referring more to their quality. I like my redwings but my chippewas are a better fit for my foot.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No.  Overpriced Chinese shit.  Danner for the same price point, Whites for something better.  
View Quote

We switched to the Danner Workman.  I have literally run miles in them, crazy comfortable. Holding up great after 4 years of daily abuse. Rebuildable too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

US Made. Skip the Chinese boots, which now comprises most of the line.

I wear logger boots, so I took a chance on the $180 Chinese boot rather than spend $500 on the single US made logger model. I am wearing Chippewas now.
View Quote
4418 - 8" Logger, US made with US materials.  MSRP is $315.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

In for responses also.  Been seeing them around lately and really like them, however dont know if they are worth the $140+ pricetag.
View Quote
I started wearing Red Wings 5 years ago. Prior to RW, I would buy a new pair of boots every YEAR for about $100.

My first pair, I wore every day for three years. I use those as "yard boots" now. My second, and current pair are about to enter their 3rd yr of use.

I spent $160 on the first pair and was so happy, I upgraded a couple notches and spent $256 on the pair I wear now.

Well built, comfortable, and long lasting.

Red Wing 604s

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I've had two pair of Red Wings for working on concrete. They were both durable as hell.

One pair was far more comfortable than the other, so I would suggest trying multiple types of boots on before buying.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#48]
The real Red Wings (US made) = yes
Fake Red Wings (china made) = no

Owned both, the cheaper Chinese ones were not much better than walmart boots but cost a bunch more.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

no, their junk, especially the Worx line..

cheap junk that fell apart on me in 3 months, regular autoshop work.

honestly, I have a pair of steel toe puma workshoes that have been great. little cold now in winter but holding up 100x better then any but really old Red wings.

they run about $100.

edit: brain is frozen
View Quote
you can't spell, therefore your opinion is invalid.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been using Danner boots at work for almost two years.  In all the oily chemicals I expose them to,  they are still holding up fantastically as far as the weatherproofing goes.

I do have a foot structure problem though,  so not a single pair of shoes or boots I have ever put on will feel comfortable to stand in for more than an hour without insoles.  My last pair of boots lasted 9 years,  and I expect the Danner boots to hold up just as long if not more,  but I burn through insoles every 6-8 months and I could gladly take advice on a better option.  I stand on cement floors 10-12 hours a day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top