Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
It is all I wear and all I plan to wear.....

Love my Redwings.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Worth every penny, love them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#3]
a warning on their warranty of repair

I had a pair of steel toe work boots that developed a cracked sole on one boot. *in less than one year*
I knew about the warranty to repair the soles so I wasn't in a hurry to get them repaired (I work indoors)
a few months later I took them in for repair and they said they wouldn't repair because the inner sole had cracked also

If you need to get your Red Wings repaired, don't put it off.  You might be sorry
$250 down the drain
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
not only no, but fuck no.

I wear work boots, for a while I wore logging boots.

Redwings - terrible, hiking around all day everyday my feet would kill me, knees hurt too.
Nick's - cheaper than whites? Were better than Redwings, feet would still hurt a bit, knees still hurt
Scarpa - Finally got smart and got some mountaineering boots, steel shank, feet don't hurt anymore, knees feel soooo much better
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

not only no, but fuck no.

I wear work boots, for a while I wore logging boots.

Redwings - terrible, hiking around all day everyday my feet would kill me, knees hurt too.

Nick's - cheaper than whites? Were better than Redwings, feet would still hurt a bit, knees still hurt

Scarpa - Finally got smart and got some mountaineering boots, steel shank, feet don't hurt anymore, knees feel soooo much better
View Quote
You do understand a lot of us have to wear boots that have steel toes and electrical hazard protection, right?  Those Scarpa boots offer neither.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is all I wear and all I plan to wear.....

Love my Redwings.....
View Quote

This. Started buying redwings 4 years ago and I won't be stopping anytime soon.

I even bought a pair of their handmade-signature Beckmann dress shoes. For $380 they weren't cheap,
but damn are they comfy, and I receive compliments for them all the time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Company has the Red Wing truck come twice a year, anybody who has to step foot in the warehouse gets a pair issued, and replaced as needed, they also do work uniforms through Cintas...They upped the red wings to management this year after one of the guys got his foot pinched between a couple of pallets and sort of crushed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I only wear Keen now, for me the best work boots ever,name is pittsburgh boot steel toe
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#9]
tbk1 is correct. and yes, they are worth the money.

I had a pair that I had resoled twice, the leather is that good. They felt like a nice pair of tennis shoes after a couple of months.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
a warning on their warranty of repair

I had a pair of steel toe work boots that developed a cracked sole on one boot. *in less than one year*
I knew about the warranty to repair the soles so I wasn't in a hurry to get them repaired (I work indoors)
a few months later I took them in for repair and they said they wouldn't repair because the inner sole had cracked also

If you need to get your Red Wings repaired, don't put it off.  You might be sorry
$250 down the drain
View Quote

While they may have not done it for free at that point.I think they charge something like $75 to replace the entire bottom portion of the boot/shoe
and they will also re-stitch, clean, and polish them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Not at all. $230 boot, the soles wore through in a very very short time, and then the store wants $100 to replace the sole.  No thanks.  I'll be buying merrills for $100 which are many times more comfortable and then throwing them the fuck out after 3-4 years and buying an entirely new pair.

Bespoke re-sole-ing and shit like that is kinda dead.. I only give it a thumbs up when it applies to very over priced wing tips or some such for corporate.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No.  Overpriced Chinese shit.  Danner for the same price point, Whites for something better.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No.  Overpriced Chinese shit.  Danner for the same price point, Whites for something better.  

Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes they are.

Also buy them from a real Red Wing dealer.

You can bring in your shoes or boots at anytime and get them cleaned, sealed, and shined. Free.

If they need laces, they replace them. Free.

If you have a defect, They replace them. Within the warranty.

If you wear out the soles before the warranty is over. They will replace the soles.

I have two pairs in steel tip. I looking at an outdoor type. Hard with 9 1/2 HH.

This.

Footwear has gone to absolute and total SHIT in the last 20-30 years.

Red Wing is the last of the larger boot and shoe makers, to actually make a damn good product, and stand behind them 100%.
They run true to size, and it's the same dimension as it always was...none of the Metric Faggotry relabled as U.S. sizes, in order to use the bastardized asian forms that are incorrect, and cause all sorts of problems.

Wesco, Whites, and the rest of the Boutique footwear, might be good, but good luck finding a shop that carries them, much less maintains them, outside of very few shops scattered around out west.

2 pairs of Red wings over 10 years, or 9 pairs of 150 dollar, fish head eating trash over the same time that will cause back problems, and wreck your feet.
The economics of it are easy. Cheap shit isn't always less costly.

Current Whites are shit. They are still quite expensive but the quality complete and utter trash.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes, fo fo sho.
View Quote

This. Only boots I've ever had that made life tolerable on concrete for hours on end. But once cry once.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#14]
USA made Red Wings are good if they fit you.

They're made for a very high volume foot, especially through the heel and ankle.  

Everything Red Wing makes falls off my foot and is too narrow across the ball of my foot at the same time.  I can't wear 'em.  Justin makes work boots that me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Danner and redwing are similar in my book.

Their sizes are just a tad different.

When younger redwing fit great and I used them a lot, I prefer the stuff made of all leather and assembled in america.

These days I buy danner, and I get the breakroom emails because I am happy with their stuff they say has a defect, I never can find a defect in it.

Pay close attention to what you are buying and I would go to an actual stocking dealer, redwing has their own stores in many areas.

As the fella above mentioned, redwing will care for your boots while in warranty, but I got to where I just took care of it myself.

I pretty much stick to the all leather and assembled in usa stuff, sometimes the leather is cut elsewhere and shipped here I guess.

The cheap stuff usually won't last very long for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Went by the Red Wing store this morning. Left with nothing but hurting feet.

They had no Heritage boots except the Iron Ranger for $300.

The Chukka's I had thought about weren't there, they would have been $265 or so & special ordered. I tried on several & the only ones that fit well were a China made one & the Rangers.

They said they'd hurt for a bit until they were broke in but that just wasn't good enough for me, I want them to feel like Diane Lane is massaging them for $300....

Yet the more I think about it, the more I regret not getting the Rangers, or rather ordering the Chukkas & if I didn't like them, switch to the rangers.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been using Danner boots at work for almost two years.  In all the oily chemicals I expose them to,  they are still holding up fantastically as far as the weatherproofing goes.

I do have a foot structure problem though,  so not a single pair of shoes or boots I have ever put on will feel comfortable to stand in for more than an hour without insoles.  My last pair of boots lasted 9 years,  and I expect the Danner boots to hold up just as long if not more,  but I burn through insoles every 6-8 months and I could gladly take advice on a better option.  I stand on cement floors 10-12 hours a day.
View Quote

I like Smartfeet insoles.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Went by the Red Wing store this morning. Left with nothing but hurting feet.

They had no Heritage boots except the Iron Ranger for $300.

The Chukka's I had thought about weren't there, they would have been $265 or so & special ordered. I tried on several & the only ones that fit well were a China made one & the Rangers.

They said they'd hurt for a bit until they were broke in but that just wasn't good enough for me, I want them to feel like Diane Lane is massaging them for $300....

Yet the more I think about it, the more I regret not getting the Rangers, or rather ordering the Chukkas & if I didn't like them, switch to the rangers.....
View Quote

My local dealer had to order my chukkas and it took a week. Apparently he has to prepay for stock so he does not keep various sizes of every style - like you I wanted to leave with them right then and there. My total price was 258 for chukkas, online they were 260 but I guess I could had them in 3 days as opposed to a week. I wanted to give the local guy my cash all things being basically equal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a pair once and really couldn't tell a difference in them.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top