Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends, was he allegedly lobbing rounds into the neighbor's back yard?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if I call you for a “man wearing a suit” you are required to investigate and will call in your haberdashery SME on overtime?
Which is not at all what the complaint was in this case.  It was a noise complaint because the neighbor didn't like him shooting "cannons and full auto".
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
View Quote
Tannerite is cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d send it with the FAL and sing them the song of our people.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"Shooting a cannon, and a full auto"

S.O. sent out a deputy, and he pulled about 400 feet back into the property on my drive.

I am shooting suppressed when I hear the blips from his siren.

I hop in the SxS and head up there, sure enough there is the cruiser.

Tells me the neighbor (points) has complained that I am shooting a full auto, and some type of cannon.

Yes.  Yes I am.  I point to a 8" barreled FAL and other toys in the SxS

He laughs and says yeah thats probably it.

Tells me if it was his property, he would keep right on having fun.  I am done for the day anyway.

He asks if my range is safe, I show him, all is well.

How do you guys handle this?  I have 4 neighbors within a half mile.  All but one shoots all the time.  Whats expected of this in the future?

Land is out in the county as much as it can be.
View Quote
Tannerite. The answer is a large quantity of tannerite.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The guy who called the cops on me shooting also shoots and was a Dekalb county cop in the past. He was concerned about the machine guns.
View Quote
Fuck him.  Call the ATF about him having wire coat hangers and a pair of needle nose pliars...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh well.  If he was in a suit shooting cannons ( we usually interpret this as tannerite which is illegal in Ohio, might be actual cannons as those( at least the muzzel loading variety) are not illegal but hey, you don't really know until you ask, then the cops should investigate.  Full Auto is also illegal unless it is a registered NFA item.

Note how I worded that because this is how the Ohio revised code words it.  There is a reason for that.  The item is presumed by law to be illegal until proven otherwise.  Either case would be more than reasonable suspicion to investigate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is not at all what the complaint was in this case.  It was a noise complaint because the neighbor didn't like him shooting "cannons and full auto".
Oh well.  If he was in a suit shooting cannons ( we usually interpret this as tannerite which is illegal in Ohio, might be actual cannons as those( at least the muzzel loading variety) are not illegal but hey, you don't really know until you ask, then the cops should investigate.  Full Auto is also illegal unless it is a registered NFA item.

Note how I worded that because this is how the Ohio revised code words it.  There is a reason for that.  The item is presumed by law to be illegal until proven otherwise.  Either case would be more than reasonable suspicion to investigate.
Having something specifically protected by the constitution in the most strongly chosen words as possible is presumed to be illegal.  Hell of a country we live in that people will happily enforce those unconstitutional laws.  

And again you are moving the goalposts from investigating the purpose of the call to you assessing if the range is safe to your specifications.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Make sure you know your local noise ordnance regulations than host an arfcom machine gun shoot they begins and ends at those exact times.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Law enforcement must be weird in Ohio. I don't know if I'd be capable of identifying something as an illegal machine gun unless it was being used to commit a violent crime.  I must need more training...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Ohio
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This.

Sooner or later, the SO will tell your neighbor that what you are doing is legal and not send a deputy out anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just keep doing what you are doing. He will get tired of calling LE, and they will get tired of him calling them.  It will work itself out.
This.

Sooner or later, the SO will tell your neighbor that what you are doing is legal and not send a deputy out anymore.
This.  This exactly what our SO says to a caller now days.  No worries.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol. Wow.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Like a Bofors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
This is, of course, the correct a
Like a Bofors.
Or a Parrott rifle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you where my neighbor I would file a complaint with the HOA and Chamber of Commerce. I would probably call an attorney and file a cease and desist letter along with filing a TRO.
View Quote
If this isn't hardcore sarcasm, you would be what we refer to as a "douche neighbor"...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Back to tilting at windmills and straw men I see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having something specifically protected by the constitution in the most strongly chosen words as possible is presumed to be illegal.  Hell of a country we live in that people will happily enforce those unconstitutional laws.  

And again you are moving the goalposts from investigating the purpose of the call to you assessing if the range is safe to your specifications.  
Yes, the straw man of you saying you'd insist on inspecting the guy's range for safety over a noise complaint.

And yeah, I'm a sucker for "shall not be infringed" and my oaths I took to support and defend it.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The rest of us live in reality.
View Quote
A reality where oaths mean different things to different people.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The rest of us live in reality.
View Quote
Sooo, shall not be infringed and defending it is NOT reality to you?

As long as you have your badge and hall monitor icon to hide behind, everyone else is a less equal animal?

This has been an enlightening thread.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is not the use of a straw man fallacy.    It's not even close.    

Oh and just out of morbid curiosity:  do you have any formal or informal training as a structural engineer, an architect, or any other specialized field even remotely related to construction?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Point me to the section that covers sending noise and lead onto your neigjbor's property. The sections of law i cited also include allowable noise levels.  The second isnt even in play here.

The take your badge off schtick us childish. You wouldnt go if i showed up wearing a t shirt, bermuda shorts and flip flops. Just stop with the theatrics and virtue signalling.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Same thing happened here a month ago.

Nothing that they can do about it
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Tannerite is the only proper response LOTS of Tannerite
View Quote
Not in Ohio it isn't.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ohio
View Quote
What?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Point me to the section that covers sending noise and lead onto your neigjbor's property. The sections of law i cited also include allowable noise levels.  The second isnt even in play here.

The take your badge off schtick us childish. You wouldnt go if i showed up wearing a t shirt, bermuda shorts and flip flops. Just stop with the theatrics and virtue signalling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sooo, shall not be infringed and defending it is NOT reality to you?

As long as you have your badge and hall monitor icon to hide behind, everyone else is a less equal animal?

This has been an enlightening thread.

As a casual observer of this conversation, Nobody was threatening or implying a threat of violence in any way.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Build.

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Since buying tannerite and possessing un mixed tannerite are both legal in Ohio how do you enforce that law.  By the time you show up, the "Dangerous Ordnance" should be gone.   Pretend you're the good guy and pressure people into a confession, or call out the crime lab and analze the crater residue?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
See, i posted the actual law related to this incident with cites, he diverted a noise complaint into a 2a issue. Thats a straw man if ive ever seen one.

I have 2 years of aerospace flight and engineering before changing majors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is not the use of a straw man fallacy.    It's not even close.    

Oh and just out of morbid curiosity:  do you have any formal or informal training as a structural engineer, an architect, or any other specialized field even remotely related to construction?
See, i posted the actual law related to this incident with cites, he diverted a noise complaint into a 2a issue. Thats a straw man if ive ever seen one.

You did indeed post a link to the shooting range statute, which starts every section other than the hours to be used with "should".  Would you need to perform a safety inspection of the recommended, but not required items in order to look at your watch?

Out of curiosity, would you run the serial numbers on the firearms before you left?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Since buying tannerite and possessing un mixed tannerite are both legal in Ohio how do you enforce that law.  By the time you show up, the "Dangerous Ordnance" should be gone.   Pretend you're the good guy and pressure people into a confession, or call out the crime lab and analze the crater residue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also like how they just assume that a loud noise is an illegal act when the caller states that it was a legal one.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
(1) That isn't the use of the straw man fallacy or if it is it certainly isn't clear or obvious.   If you don't know what the straw man fallacy is then just say so and I will be happy to fill you in.    If you think it is the use of the straw man fallacy, diagram the argument and see for yourself.

(2) Two years of aerospace flight and engineering.   Excellent.    How many of those classes involved the design, implementation, construction, and safe use of a firing range and/or aspects of a firing range (i.e. a safe backstop) or anything related to that subject beyond Physics 101, multi-variable calculus , or any generic STEM class?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There are better options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlyFc79BUE
View Quote
LOL. WTF.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
"Shooting a cannon, and a full auto"

S.O. sent out a deputy, and he pulled about 400 feet back into the property on my drive.

I am shooting suppressed when I hear the blips from his siren.

I hop in the SxS and head up there, sure enough there is the cruiser.

Tells me the neighbor (points) has complained that I am shooting a full auto, and some type of cannon.

Yes.  Yes I am.  I point to a 8" barreled FAL and other toys in the SxS

He laughs and says yeah thats probably it.

Tells me if it was his property, he would keep right on having fun.  I am done for the day anyway.

He asks if my range is safe, I show him, all is well.

How do you guys handle this?  I have 4 neighbors within a half mile.  All but one shoots all the time.  Whats expected of this in the future?

Land is out in the county as much as it can be.
View Quote
Make sure you get the number and name of a good deputy so if anything goes sideways with an idiot one you can call the other.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sorry, all I read through that was "who wants to come over for a range day? Bring tannerite"
View Quote
When's the meet-up? I'm just to the North of you in Michigan. Sounds like a party.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Also, keep a copy of this handy and follow the guidelines.  Follow the law and ye shall come to no harm.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1501:31-29-03
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Also, keep a copy of this handy and follow the guidelines.  Follow the law and ye shall come to no harm.

A copy of that statute, in and of itself, will not provide much if ANY guidance when judging the physical safety of a backstop beyond noise levels as you will need to reference  1501:31-29-03. (D) which reads, in part (emphasis mine):

(D) Private and public shooting ranges should substantially comply with safety guidelines generally recognized and accepted by the national rifle association (NRA). Suggested safety guidelines are described or explained in great detail in "The NRA Range Source Book, 2012 edition ." For the purpose of the chief of the division of wildlife's standards for shooting ranges, private and public shooting ranges shall have an implemented safety plan that substantially includes, but is not limited to, the following items:
That means you need the The NRA Range Source Book, 2012 edition, to go along with that statute.    For anyone who has not seen that book, it's massive.

Do you keep a copy of it for reference when examining backstops?    I assume you have read it at least once and perhaps multiple times, yes?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#44]
This thread has become a great reminder as to why you never talk to cops.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A copy of that statute, in and of itself, will not provide much if ANY guidance when judging the physical safety of a backstop beyond noise levels as you will need to reference  1501:31-29-03. (D) which reads, in part (emphasis mine):

That means you need the The NRA Range Source Book, 2012 edition, to go along with that statute.    For anyone who has not seen that book, it's massive.

Do you keep a copy of it for reference when examining backstops?    I assume you have read it at least once and perhaps multiple times, yes?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(D) Private and public shooting ranges should substantially comply with safety guidelines generally recognized and accepted by the national rifle association (NRA). Suggested safety guidelines are described or explained in great detail in "The NRA Range Source Book, 2012 edition ." For the purpose of the chief of the division of wildlife's standards for shooting ranges, private and public shooting ranges shall have an implemented safety plan that substantially includes, but is not limited to, the following items:

Also, that whole section is only a suggestion.  "Should" is not the same as "will", "must", or "shall".
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#46]
It's the"If you don't voluntarily give up your rights and let us do what we want we will fuck with you to show you who's boss" attitude that pisses people off.

I'm not sure why that is so hard to grasp.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The guy who caled Dekalb county .
View Quote
May be the problem.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow, you're a real piece of work.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
See here is the thing on number 2.  I'm not required to inspect, author or support engineering documents regarding someone's firing range.  All I really need to know is whether or not rounds are leaving said range and going onto someone else' property as is often alleged, or not. If someone is shooting into a pretty high backstop, say higher than their target stand, or down into a depression, then probably not.  If they are shooting across relatively flat open ground with no backstop, there is a pretty good chance that their rounds are not being stopped.

I can recall two instances where that was the case.  Actually three, but two of those involved the same " victim " who is also a member here. In one case, the round went through his front door traversing his house and lodging in a kitchen cabinet, in the other rounds were landing between his house and garage.  Also a case of a guy at higher elevation hitting the trees at a lower elevation where the victim was sitting and ultimately unassed his tree stand.

In those cases, the victims declined to file charges but would have been well within their rights to do so and or sue the other parties.  There is a principal in law that goes something like this.  One persons rights end at the next guy's nose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
(1) That isn't the use of the straw man fallacy or if it is it certainly isn't clear or obvious.   If you don't know what the straw man fallacy is then just say so and I will be happy to fill you in.    If you think it is the use of the straw man fallacy, diagram the argument and see for yourself.

(2) Two years of aerospace flight and engineering.   Excellent.    How many of those classes involved the design, implementation, construction, and safe use of a firing range and/or aspects of a firing range (i.e. a safe backstop) or anything related to that subject beyond Physics 101, multi-variable calculus , or any generic STEM class?
See here is the thing on number 2.  I'm not required to inspect, author or support engineering documents regarding someone's firing range.  All I really need to know is whether or not rounds are leaving said range and going onto someone else' property as is often alleged, or not. If someone is shooting into a pretty high backstop, say higher than their target stand, or down into a depression, then probably not.  If they are shooting across relatively flat open ground with no backstop, there is a pretty good chance that their rounds are not being stopped.

I can recall two instances where that was the case.  Actually three, but two of those involved the same " victim " who is also a member here. In one case, the round went through his front door traversing his house and lodging in a kitchen cabinet, in the other rounds were landing between his house and garage.  Also a case of a guy at higher elevation hitting the trees at a lower elevation where the victim was sitting and ultimately unassed his tree stand.

In those cases, the victims declined to file charges but would have been well within their rights to do so and or sue the other parties.  There is a principal in law that goes something like this.  One persons rights end at the next guy's nose.
Absent any relevant statute(s) to the contrary, you appear to be absolutely correct in that you are not required to ascertain whether or not a person's backstop is "safe" which is the point many people have been making for eight pages.  That's a good thing because it is not readily apparent that you have the requisite knowledge, training, resource material, or education to determine what is and what is not a "safe" range.

There is a difference between determining whether or not rounds LEFT (past tense), are LEAVING (present tense) somebody's range/property, and inspecting a person's backstop for safety to ensure rounds "are not zinging off your property" (presumably future tense).

Remember the story relayed by the OP had nothing to do with rounds leaving that person's range but a noise complaint made by a neighbor.  From the OP (emphasis mine):  "[The Officer] Tells me the neighbor (points) has complained that I am shooting a full auto, and some type of cannon."
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top