[#1]
SMART-TD Q&As are out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SMART-TD Q&As are out.
View Quote

So is it GO Time yet? If it goes down let us know how we can support you all. Imitation crab meat and Vienna sausages will help you all out I'm sure. So you don't starve.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So is it GO Time yet? If it goes down let us know how we can support you all. Imitation crab meat and Vienna sausages will help you all out I'm sure. So you don't starve.
View Quote

Closer. Signal voted the contract down.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]
So far Mow and Signal have voted no. Should be a strike on November 19th.  It may actually happen since the election will be over and the Unions won’t have to worry about hurting their democrat masters.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So far Mow and Signal have voted no. Should be a strike on November 19th.  It may actually happen since the election will be over and the Unions won’t have to worry about hurting their democrat masters.
View Quote

Hopefully more vote against it and see through the smoke and mirrors. Stinking sucks, but sometimes drastic measures are necessary to promote the changes needed. Fucking with peoples lively hoods is immoral and should be illegal. Doing what upper management is doing to those that actually do the work for their precious bottom line and politics is disgusting.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#7]
and on a side note...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Rail Labor Update: A FUBAR Lurks

It’s amazing that this guy has so little understanding of the operating crafts. We don’t care so much about paid sick leave, our younger and unscheduled guys just want some time off, PERIOD.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It’s amazing that this guy has so little understanding of the operating crafts. We don’t care so much about paid sick leave, our younger and unscheduled guys just want some time off, PERIOD.
View Quote

Wasn’t sick leave negotiated away in a prior round in favor or personal days?
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that I am aware of. At one time we got our birthday off as a holiday. Then we negotiated that away for the day after Thanksgiving. Now with this agreement we are back to getting our birthday as a PL day that they have to let us use.

Traditionally, we would just take unpaid leave when sick. But the newer attendance policies are discouraging even that. And with allocations for vacation and personal leave days cut to the bone, about the only way to get immediate time off at all is to call in sick.

It’s damn sociopathic how railroad executives are expecting their junior and unscheduled operating employees to live..
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

"The railroads maintain that the unions have agreed during decades of negotiations to forego paid sick leave in favor of higher wages and more generous short-term disability benefits that kick in after four days of absences and continue up to a year"

It wasn't negotiated away like they've tried to infer, at least from every agreement I've read. It wasn't a thing on former ATSF-BNSF for the last 50 years I know for sure. Paid personal days come from the 11 assigned jobs holidays.

We've just never had a good reason to negotiate for it in lieu of smaller raises until availability policies became so strict. That and how prevalent it has become in other industries that weren't required to take pay cuts to obtain.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not that I am aware of. At one time we got our birthday off as a holiday. Then we negotiated that away for the day after Thanksgiving. Now with this agreement we are back to getting our birthday as a PL day that they have to let us use.

Traditionally, we would just take unpaid leave when sick. But the newer attendance policies are discouraging even that. And with allocations for vacation and personal leave days cut to the bone, about the only way to get immediate time off at all is to call in sick.

It’s damn sociopathic how railroad executives are expecting their junior and unscheduled operating employees to live..
View Quote

I've told many new conductors working the extraboards today that I wouldn't have lasted more than a year or two starting out under the current availability policies. And I wasn't a habitual user of the policy then either.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting how BNSF is suddenly trying to show appreciation to its operating employees by offering them a free Carhartt jacket.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Interesting how BNSF is suddenly trying to show appreciation to its operating employees by offering them a free Carhartt jacket.
View Quote

That they are buying in bulk at wholesale cost lol.  Probably $8 or $10 each.  

Some college whiz kid in the employee relations department: "hey, let's offer everyone a free jacket!"  Probably the same dipshit that sent that letter to the employee who quit, staking the claim that if they resign they give up all rights to any future settlements if BNSF is found to have underpaid or overworked them lol.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

There were 11,000 ordered in 72 hours. LOL
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Does that mean MoW and S&C are going on strike even if a majority of the coalition vote yes on the proposition?
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
We will probably get taxed on it as a bonus or something lol
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean we can take the jacket and still vote no on the agreement.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exec's need to agree to follow the same exact demands placed on their employees. [minus salary]
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Am I wrong yet? That the union folds at the last moment and no strike? You guys are really dragging this out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Am I wrong yet? That the union folds at the last moment and no strike? You guys are really dragging this out.
View Quote

This was a union leadership and White House arrangement to delay past the midterms. The average employee is along for the ride, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This was a union leadership and White House arrangement to delay past the midterms. The average employee is along for the ride, unfortunately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well if union leaders are to be believed, apparently both Mitch McConnell and Nancy Pelosi have told union leadership that there will be no strike allowed.

The gamble is if we can get anything more by letting it fall to Congress.

Then what to do if mass attrition continues.

At BNSF, it’s totally fucking awesome that they can offer a $20,000 bonus to new hires who are lucky if they know enough to not kill themselves, $8,000 a month bonuses/per diem to temporary transfers who don’t know the territory and $20,000 bonuses to old broke down guys to delay retirement for a year but somehow can’t do jack-fucking-shit for the guys in the middle who do all of the heavy lifting.

No matter how this agreement gets implemented, and we know it will in more or less its current form, it doesn’t solve the systemic quality of life and morale problems. It will just keep spiraling downward. I’m genuinely curious to see how many people take the back pay and bonus money and leave.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well if union leaders are to be believed, apparently both Mitch McConnell and Nancy Pelosi have told union leadership that there will be no strike allowed.

At BNSF, it’s totally fucking awesome that they can offer a $20,000 bonus to new hires who are lucky if they know enough to not kill themselves, $8,000 a month bonuses/per diem to temporary transfers who don’t know the territory and $20,000 bonuses to old broke down guys to delay retirement for a year but somehow can’t do jack-fucking-shit for the guys in the middle who do all of the heavy lifting.

No matter how this agreement gets implemented, and we know it will in more or less its current form, it doesn’t solve the systemic quality of life and morale problems. It will just keep spiraling downward. I’m genuinely curious to see how many people take the back pay and bonus money and leave.
View Quote

I'm not voting no because I expect to get better. I'm voting no because I don't consider it a fair contract.

The unions need to stop agreeing to things that don't benefit everyone, at one time I wouldn't have cared. But it's counter productive the membership as a whole to have sign on bonuses and bonuses to keep old heads here.

Tokens like jackets, which used to be common for awards like safety aren't going to change anything. It'll be a long time before anyone believes they're going to change the way they treat their employees.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted: genuinely curious to see how many people take the back pay and bonus money and leave.
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm not voting no because I expect to get better. I'm voting no because I don't consider it a fair contract.

The unions need to stop agreeing to things that don't benefit everyone, at one time I wouldn't have cared. But it's counter productive the membership as a whole to have sign on bonuses and bonuses to keep old heads here.

Tokens like jackets, which used to be common for awards like safety aren't going to change anything. It'll be a long time before anyone believes they're going to change the way they treat their employees.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:14:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

At BNSF, it’s totally fucking awesome that they can offer a $20,000 bonus to new hires who are lucky if they know enough to not kill themselves,
View Quote

@Boomer

Based on your statement I poked around a little bit - they're hiring conductor trainees.

Successful completion of the first four months of new-hire training and service to be eligible for the first $10000 installment

Complete 6 additional months of active service at the hired location to be eligible for the second $10000 installment

Leaving the location or job for any reason (including relocation of more than 100 miles from the headquartered location) will result in 100% repayment and forfeiture of future payments

Any insight on how long a new hire employee would have to stay on to keep the $20K?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 2:16:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@Boomer

Based on your statement I poked around a little bit - they're hiring conductor trainees.

Successful completion of the first four months of new-hire training and service to be eligible for the first $10000 installment

Complete 6 additional months of active service at the hired location to be eligible for the second $10000 installment

Leaving the location or job for any reason (including relocation of more than 100 miles from the headquartered location) will result in 100% repayment and forfeiture of future payments

Any insight on how long a new hire employee would have to stay on to keep the $20K?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At BNSF, it's totally fucking awesome that they can offer a $20,000 bonus to new hires who are lucky if they know enough to not kill themselves,

@Boomer

Sounds like nobody's getting 20 grand. they'll just transfer you over a hundred miles away
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 2:27:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sounds like nobody's getting 20 grand. they'll just transfer you over a hundred miles away
View Quote

Exactly! They are going to get folks on the hook, and surprise you are needed in BFE so you best purchase a new home at these high rates. Oh and your bonus is now repayable.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 2:51:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sounds like a giant "Fuck you" to the rail guys.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 3:44:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@Boomer

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At BNSF, it’s totally fucking awesome that they can offer a $20,000 bonus to new hires who are lucky if they know enough to not kill themselves,

@Boomer

I don’t know for sure, but would assume it’s the 3 year hold down period.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 3:46:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At BNSF, it's totally fucking awesome that they can offer a $20,000 bonus to new hires who are lucky if they know enough to not kill themselves,

@Boomer

It doesn’t work like that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 4:41:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It doesn't work like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Boomer

How does it work?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

They can keep their 30 pieces of silver.  I won’t be ordering that bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should unionize against union leadership.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

How does it work?   If a new employee ends up in a furlough status during the bonus qualification period due to a downturn in traffic affecting that 'headquartered location' are they still going to get that money?  

If their is no available work for their senority at the HQ'd location due to no fault of their own and their forced to 'chase their senority' beyond 100mi does that kill that 20k carrot?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How does it work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Boomer

How does it work?

If they force assign you more than 100 miles away, that’s on them. Bonus still owed. You decide you don’t like Seattle and transfer to the other side of the state, that’s on you. Better not have spent that bonus money.

These clauses are designed to prevent someone from hiring out where jobs are offered, getting their training, seniority date, first bonus payment and then immediately voluntarily transferring somewhere else.

We see this from time to time. Seattle, WA is pretty much the bottom of the barrel in BNSF’s Northwest Division seniority district. It’s a high cost of living area and the politics and culture aren’t very appealing to the typical type of person willing to work a craft job. Since they have the most difficulty retaining employees there, they often have more job postings than other terminals in the division. People will come from Spokane, Vancouver, Klamath Falls, etc to get hired and then head back to wherever they came from once their seniority allows. Same with trainmen entering the locomotive engineer training program. They have a recall clause for that, too.

The reality is that no one is getting forced out of Seattle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How does it work?   If a new employee ends up in a furlough status during the bonus qualification period due to a downturn in traffic affecting that 'headquartered location' are they still going to get that money?  

If their is no available work for their senority at the HQ'd location due to no fault of their own and their forced to 'chase their senority' beyond 100mi does that kill that 20k carrot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t know for sure, but I suspect that a furlough pauses the time if the hold down. Work for a couple of years, get furloughed for a year, you still have a year left on hold down once called back to work.

Be pretty difficult for the company to defend denial of bonus because the employee was just trying to keep working. He would probably have to return to his primary location as his seniority allowed, though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don’t know for sure, but I suspect that a furlough pauses the time if the hold down. Work for a couple of years, get furloughed for a year, you still have a year left on hold down once called back to work.

Be pretty difficult for the company to defend denial of bonus because the employee was just trying to keep working. He would probably have to return to his primary location as his seniority allowed, though.
View Quote

While what you say is an answer based on logic you very well know the scoundrels we both work for look for any reason to not pay a valid claim.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Offhand I think being furloughed does count for the 3 years. I'm guessing they're referring to moving 100mi away yet still working at that terminal. I suppose from the wording that if they couldn't hold and work at the terminal for 6 months they wouldn't be due the second half of the payment. Not sure what they would do in that case. I would think that after the 3 years is up they should get paid since it was no fault of their own, but I could see them saying no as well.

They would have to return back to the terminal they hired out on as soon as a spot opened up however, or forfeit the bonus. In certain terminals it's a no brainer. In others you're probably losing money being forced to stay there instead of working a more lucrative one. Or when you include the money spent bouncing around from one terminal to another, which is commonplace in some of the locations that have the bonus. In many places no one wants to stay because you're not guaranteed a job half the year.

The real issues are for a new hire that decides he doesn't want to continue working for the railroad. You can't just bank the money and pay it back. I can almost guarantee you end up losing the tier 2 tax taken out of it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t disagree with anything you said. Simply stated, the WH knows the meteor is coming and they said, “wait until after the midterms, pretty please!”
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Having worked for a class one railroad for 18 years, high management
is only concerned with turning a dollar into a dollar ten.
 They are killing the proverbial golden goose at the expense of the US economy.
It is time to wake up, take stock, and ensure that the right arm of supply of this
country continues unfettered.
This is crucial to maintain our hard-earned high standard of living.
It can only happen by which to retain those who have not only
dedicated their lives to this outcome, but have learned directly from
those that have perfected the craft through common sense and experience.

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#42]
BMWE did not extend beyond Nov 19th. Interdasting update.

T-minus….
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
BMWE did not extend beyond Nov 19th. Interdasting update.

T-minus….
View Quote

Now extended to Dec 4th.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#44]
With the amount of BLET emails being sent out to the members, I think the BLET “leadership” is worried that Pierce won’t get re-elected.  All these BLET officers keep emailing the members, saying how they fully support Pierce etc. They wouldn’t be doing this if they thought Pierce was sure to win again.

I voted for Hall.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
With the amount of BLET emails being sent out to the members, I think the BLET “leadership” is worried that Pierce won’t get re-elected.  All these BLET officers keep emailing the members, saying how they fully support Pierce etc. They wouldn’t be doing this if they thought Pierce was sure to win again.

I voted for Hall.
View Quote

You made a good choice,  I know Eddie personally and the man is a problem solving machine.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You made a good choice,  I know Eddie personally and the man is a problem solving machine.
View Quote

I enjoyed his first email to the BLET membership, I believe dated 9-30-22.  Once I read that, he had my vote.  Good to know.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Checking in on the engineers, conductors, hostlers, and foamers. Any updates? Are you getting the fear mongering from union leadership that you better take it or else?
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Checking in on the engineers, conductors, hostlers, and foamers. Any updates? Are you getting the fear mongering from union leadership that you better take it or else?
View Quote

There is some nonsense being peddled from some locals that the TA protects crew consist when it does no such thing.  But it is a fear tactic nontheless.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 1:45:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Railroad unions struggle to get rebellious workers to ‘yes’ on contracts

More than half of freight rail workers will vote on proposed contracts next week amid a highly organized effort by some of their colleagues to urge a “no” vote.

It’s the biggest test yet of the Biden administration’s push to avert an economically crippling rail strike after it helped a dozen unions broker a compromise with freight carriers in September. A rebel group, Railroad Workers United, is stoking opposition among members who believe the compromise green-lit by union leaders doesn’t go far enough to address working conditions that have led to severe attrition at the nation’s largest carriers.

So far, seven smaller unions have voted to approve their tentative agreements, while three have voted against — one as recently as Monday.

If unions don’t get members on board by the end of an industry-wide cooling-off period Dec. 9, just one could spark a strike that capsizes the nation’s supply chain — stripping store shelves, starving livestock and compromising drinking water. At that point, Congress could be forced to step in and extend the cooling-off period, during which workers are barred from walking off the job — or impose the employer-championed recommendations of a presidentially appointed emergency board.

The presidents of the industry’s two largest unions — Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers-Transportation Division and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen — are criss-crossing the U.S. to buoy support for the proposed contracts before their members’ votes are tallied Monday. They say they’ve gotten them the best deal possible.

“My message is, ‘Guys, we went all the way to the championship. We never backed down,’” SMART-TD President Jeremy Ferguson said from his car recently on the way to yet another event in Boone, Iowa.

But the RWU’s message is resonating with burnt-out freight rail employees frustrated by what they consider employers’ punitive attendance policies, among other things, and critical of the compromises accepted by their union presidents.

RWU is “just trying to get the unions to put the full interest of the membership ahead of everything else,” said one railroad worker, who is not associated with RWU and spoke anonymously to avoid retaliation from their employer. “I can definitely see interest in their message grow significantly.”

One union official called the situation “out of control.”

As it stands, union officials are unsure of which way the rank-and-file will vote.

“It’s on a razor’s edge,” Ferguson said. “It’s going to be tight.”

Workers’ decision to strike could cause Congress to step in and lengthen the cooling-off period — or impose the employer-endorsed recommendations of a presidentially appointed emergency board.

“We’re gonna get what [workers] ratify, or we’re gonna go back and forth to Congress — and God knows what’s going to come out of this,” Ferguson said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Pierce must be nervous. Non-stop emails from the turd. I voted for Eddie Hall, and No to the contract. Force it on me, i don't give a shit. Sanborn gone at NS...finally.
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top