View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a tentative foing.
Nice!
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If we're doing the cookout, who is driving Whiskers so we can get him drunk and shouting about throwing commies out of helicopters?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If we're doing the cookout, who is driving Whiskers so we can get him drunk and shouting about throwing commies out of helicopters?
View Quote

You need multi day camping with multi day drinking while also maintaining complete sobriety for my run to unlock ranting Whiskers.

I hate commies like poison, but you need to completely remove 100% of mental filters to get what you've heard of.  That can only be done through physical exertion, frustration during shooting, hanging out with like minded people, then drinking.

I was pretty drunk and only knew it was enjoyed after the fact. I rant against leftist policies on here every day. But apparently it was much more impactful than I remember. Clearly something unlocked in the company of like minded people, but I don't think I can just turn it on at will.

I remember bullshitting with guys, naturally we always discuss natural rights and the curse of Communism...I don't remember anything being special, but apparently it was.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks to be up to 30 hikers now.

We gotta get our grill game situated.

I'll verify if there's any grills/ pits on site tomorrow.  NPS was rather clueless lol.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ran out of options.
Goatboy should fix that right after he fixes the YouTube issue.
If everyone stopped wasting site resources, we'd have more poll options...
I’ll probably be back in time to hang out and grill out with the BB’s if I can’t make the hike. Hope to see all you fools soon.

Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i have two of the older version of it (no molle on it), great packs.  have lasted 5+ years and lots of hikes.  The only repair necessary has been on the compression straps where they sew in.  highly recommend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a maybe.

Speaking of packs, any opinion on this?

I'm about to pull the trigger but there aren't many reviews on it that I can find.
i have two of the older version of it (no molle on it), great packs.  have lasted 5+ years and lots of hikes.  The only repair necessary has been on the compression straps where they sew in.  highly recommend.
Glad to hear it, it's being delivered tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:13:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have friends coming over later that day for dinner and cards, so I cannot stay after the hike - but I will definitely be there for the hike.  

If someone wants to torture themselves, I will of course bring the Carl Gustav.
View Quote
The Carl Gustav must stop.

Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
But you looked so happy with it last time.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will help carry it if it's brought, but I will never advocate for it being brought.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I will help carry it if it's brought, but I will never advocate for it being brought.
View Quote
I think we should bring the Carl and a mortar...
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks to be up to 30 hikers now.

We gotta get our grill game situated.

I'll verify if there's any grills/ pits on site tomorrow.  NPS was rather clueless lol.
View Quote
Poll showing 37 now
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Poll showing 37 now
View Quote
That's a nice platoon right there
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ll bring a Baofeng for receive only purposes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’ll bring a Baofeng for receive only purposes.
View Quote
We can get a channel set up for the day
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Have fun guys.
Got another funeral to attend (not mine).
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're planning on coming and grilling at after the hike, I would strongly recommend having dry clothes packed that you can change into. The high on the forecast is still showing 44 so standing in sweat soaked clothes would be a lot of suckage.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#19]
37 that's pretty strong.

Nice work America
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If we were going to BBQ I'd have no problem bringing my Weber in order to increase grilling capacity, plus several bags of charcoal.
View Quote
@USMC2671

If you could bring your grill, that would be awesome.  If anyone else has one that they can bring, that would be helpful as well.

Swung by that picnic area today, and there's zero grills present.  NPS doesn't have their info straight.

Plus side is that the covered shelter is pretty large and there's a bunch of tables/ benches in there.  Bathrooms present as well.  Tons of parking.

Only 4 minute drive from Henry Hill.

I'm bringing a big thing of meat to share.

Anybody else planning to bring something?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@USMC2671

If you could bring your grill, that would be awesome.  If anyone else has one that they can bring, that would be helpful as well.

Swung by that picnic area today, and there's zero grills present.  NPS doesn't have their info straight.

Plus side is that the covered shelter is pretty large and there's a bunch of tables/ benches in there.  Bathrooms present as well.  Tons of parking.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/503720/IMG_9546_JPG-1292178.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/503720/IMG_9547_JPG-1292179.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/503720/IMG_9548_JPG-1292181.JPG
View Quote
Do we need to reserve this area or is it "first come, first serve"?

I would hate to show up and have the place occupied, even in the 40deg. weather.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@USMC2671

View Quote
Quoted:

I would hate to show up and have the place occupied, even in the 40deg. weather.
View Quote
Yeah I'm worried about having room and also having enough grill space if there's no grills there
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@USMC2671

View Quote
I'll throw the weber in the truck and some stuff to go on it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:

Yeah I'm worried about having room and also having enough grill space if there's no grills there
View Quote
It's first come/ first served.  Despite best efforts, NPS won't reserve it for anything other than something like a sanctioned school event.

Not sure how busy it will be - it's tucked back off of Groveton Road and isn't really attached to the battlefield(s), although technically part of it.  There's zero historical relevence to that site (was going to be a housing development).

You have to know it's there, intend to go there and use it for what it is, it's not in a spot that would be an impromtu/ impulse stop.  If anyone else is there, it's probably going to just be parked horse trailers (parking lot big enough to accommodate them and access to trails are nearby).

Either way, if we wanna do something different, I'm game - was just throwing out an idea based on group size/ location/ cost and the ability to hang out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I think a cookout sounds like a good idea. I'm down to bring something that travels easily as I've got a 3hr drive. Buns / chips / I'm open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#26]
If this place was occupied there would be plenty of room at Bull Run Park which is just off Rt29 a few miles east of the battlefield.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Getting close bump
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You need multi day camping with multi day drinking while also maintaining complete sobriety for my run to unlock ranting Whiskers.

I hate commies like poison, but you need to completely remove 100% of mental filters to get what you've heard of.  That can only be done through physical exertion, frustration during shooting, hanging out with like minded people, then drinking.

I was pretty drunk and only knew it was enjoyed after the fact. I rant against leftist policies on here every day. But apparently it was much more impactful than I remember. Clearly something unlocked in the company of like minded people, but I don't think I can just turn it on at will.

I remember bullshitting with guys, naturally we always discuss natural rights and the curse of Communism...I don't remember anything being special, but apparently it was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couldn't tell ya man, I missed it all being new and shy.  I hung out on the fringes with the other ones who looked lost and the couple super outgoing guys that talked to us

Also might have convinced one more unaccounted for in the poll.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Getting stoked for this. Pack is just over 36 lbs not including G19. Hike down here was my first “open carry” with the pistol and this will be a whole ‘nother level for me with the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Getting stoked for this. Pack is just over 36 lbs not including G19. Hike down here was my first “open carry” with the pistol and this will be a whole ‘nother level for me with the rifle.
View Quote
It's an amazing feeling of America. Exercise, neighborly attitudes, self reliance, and team work.

You reminded me though, this is an excellent time to bring up weapons handling with this many people.

First off, we will be identifying EMTS/Medics/Corpsmen before the hike. If there's a medical emergency of any type, they will take the lead.

Second, for those new, be safe with firearms. This is America, we do not have rules on weapons conditions, nor inspections, but every man is accountable for firearms safety. If you choose to carry a rifle hammer forward with an empty chamber, please drop the hammer before you arrive.

Preferred method of carry is safety on, regardless of your chamber status.

Muzzle and trigger discipline are paramount.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok, so I guess we have 2 grills coming.

I'm bringing 12lbs of beef.  And some TBD handheld stuff.

Who else is bringing something?  Nothing extravagant - dogs/ sausages, sides, chips, etc.  What do we think about drinks/ beverages?

Hate for everybody to show up afterwards and fight over a scrap of ribeye...
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:55:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll bring some Hot and Sweet Italian sausage.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I'll swing by a Walmart on my way up, probably in front royal. I was going to grab a few big bags of chips and a case of Gatorade, anything specific you want?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's an amazing feeling of America. Exercise, neighborly attitudes, self reliance, and team work.

You reminded me though, this is an excellent time to bring up weapons handling with this many people.

First off, we will be identifying EMTS/Medics/Corpsmen before the hike. If there's a medical emergency of any type, they will take the lead.

Second, for those new, be safe with firearms. This is America, we do not have rules on weapons conditions, nor inspections, but every man is accountable for firearms safety. If you choose to carry a rifle hammer forward with an empty chamber, please drop the hammer before you arrive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting stoked for this. Pack is just over 36 lbs not including G19. Hike down here was my first "open carry" with the pistol and this will be a whole 'nother level for me with the rifle.

My first hike (in December) I brought an AR-15 with a red chamber flag. The mag was loaded but the chamber was empty.

Does that work?

I will also have a handgun at my side that is loaded but in a retention holster.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'll swing by a Walmart on my way up, probably in front royal. I was going to grab a few big bags of chips and a case of Gatorade, anything specific you want?
View Quote
That works - Whatever you wanna bring is appreciated... ETA: and will be devoured.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My first hike (in December) I brought an AR-15 with a red chamber flag. The mag was loaded but the chamber was empty.

Does that work?

I will also have a handgun at my side that is loaded but in a retention holster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting stoked for this. Pack is just over 36 lbs not including G19. Hike down here was my first "open carry" with the pistol and this will be a whole 'nother level for me with the rifle.

Does that work?

I don't think anyone will fault you for carrying without a chamber flag when you have a bolt closed on an empty chamber and a loaded magazine inserted. That was our recommended carry method for lobby day.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#37]
If this will be your final qualifying hike for 3rd Class Battle Buddy, or if you have already completed 3rd Class and not been formally awarded, please post below letting us know.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:12:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Didn't time the first hike or weigh the pack, otherwise this might have been my 3rd class qualifier
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Tomorrow we hike
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:11:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Was going through the RSC (not safe) last night trying to decide what to bring.

It only then truly dawned on me that I don't own an even remotely lightweight AR in any caliber that isn't a pistol.  Oh well, I guess that means I have to build one before the next hike .
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I am seeing 39 people coming so I will bring approximately that many hot dogs, mustard, and buns. Cook what we need and the rest goes into my Coronavirus stash :)
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If this will be your final qualifying hike for 3rd Class Battle Buddy, or if you have already completed 3rd Class and not been formally awarded, please post below letting us know.
View Quote
I am pretty sure I have already completed 3rd class.   Someone from my group has been reporting times and distances, but I haven't received confirmation yet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#43]
I'll bring plates, napkins, foil and couple of water bottle cases.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a GMRS Callsign now to go with my UV5R. Ordered a Signal Stick but will be using the rubber ducky tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#46]
If you guys have GoTenna Mesh's bring them too
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
After having done my first hike with Troop 556 and my second with the Carolina Boogaloo Bois, this will be my third qualifying hike if I can make it.

Depending on how the Trump rally in North Charleston goes down this evening, I may wind up being a late scratch. Just don’t see having enough time to make it to Virginia by 1100.

Then again, the rally is first come-first serve and there have been folks in line camping out all night so I may not even be able to get in the rally. Only time will tell.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Haven't been formally awarded.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
This will be my 3rd 6-miler!

Also, I will bring some sausages and maybe another small grill.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I'll also have a generator and microwave as an alternate means of heating/cooking in case anybody want to bring something needing non-grill heat.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top