BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EIB is for units not busy preparing to get CIBs.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
gotta say, people who think an EIB means more than a CIB miss the entire point of being an infantryman.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this can't really be a bad thing, can it?

I thought the only one that really mattered was the CIB tho

You got that backwards. The CIB is an attendance award.  Plenty of Joes that never heard a shot fired in anger sport the CIB these days. The EIB means you know your shit.  At least that's how it was when I was 11B.  And yes, I have an EIB
I have a EIB. I'd trade it for the right to wear a CIB in flat second. Fuck what I earned on FT. Bragg!  

gotta say, people who think an EIB means more than a CIB miss the entire point of being an infantryman.

I concur! i joined the Army to fight for my country. i had fun training don't get me wrong but i didn't get to do what i wanted to do. i hear it from cold war vets all the time, "WE STARED DOWN THE BEAR". if the bear thought they could kick our ass we would of been jumping into the Fulda gap quicker then shit through a Christmas turkey. all dod hype to spend money.

ymmv

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OP.
I have a thing for MILFs in Yoga Pants
View Quote

Mmm giggity

you there permanently now?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Mmm giggity

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP.

Mmm giggity

yes.

10 years hopefully.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The book is called "Bill Mauldin's Army." They're practically giving it away on Amazon used books. Almost 400 pages of large format, single-page cartoons.

This is the one I was thinking of:

http://www.fototime.com/6E12C1648D5CF13/orig.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In that big collection of Bill Mauldin cartoons he drew during the war, there's one that shows Willie and Joe all filthy and exhausted and weighed down with weapons and gear.

They're obviously on their way up into the line or back from it for a rest, and they're walking past two soldiers who are practicing push-ups.  

One of the push-up GIs is looking up at them and says something like: "To be an expert Infantryman, you have to earn it!"

I don't know where you saw that, I'm pretty sure it wasn't in Up Front.  There was one captioned with something about "When we ain't fightin', we ought to try to look like sojers", but I don't remember the details.

No, not "Up Front".  It's in a big thick book of only the cartoons that I've had for a long time. I'll try to hunt it down tonight.

Cool.  I didn't know about that book.  UF was the only collection of Mauldin's Willie & Joe cartoons I was aware of.

The book is called "Bill Mauldin's Army." They're practically giving it away on Amazon used books. Almost 400 pages of large format, single-page cartoons.

This is the one I was thinking of:

http://www.fototime.com/6E12C1648D5CF13/orig.jpg

I was just completely sideways on this one.  I didn't know the book existed and I thought the EIB was a fairly recent development.  Thanks for setting me straight.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

yes.

10 years hopefully.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP.

Mmm giggity

yes.

10 years hopefully.

Right on, next time I'm up that way, I'll hit ya up.  I'm just south of Salina, about 2.5hrs straight west on I-70.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I was always amazed at the amount of people that would take the walk of shame back to the Regiment area from the EIB testing site.  It was crazy when you drive
by and see "testing activity" going on and then start passing the guys doing the "walk of shame".
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#8]

You got that backwards. The CIB is an attendance award.  Plenty of Joes that never heard a shot fired in anger sport the CIB these days. The EIB means you know your shit.  At least that's how it was when I was 11B.  And yes, I have an EIB
View All Quotes

+1

There are two courses of action to get a CIB.  Be in actual combat and have some S1types do some paperwork, or have some S1types do some paperwork.  Notice that I did not mention a third COA that would simply be "be in combat".  There are a lot of absurd CIBs out there, and there are a lot of folks who earned them but never got them.  It and the CAB are now two badges I pay no attention to, either in their presence or absence, based on what I've seen in the last decade+.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was always amazed at the amount of people that would take the walk of shame back to the Regiment area from the EIB testing site.  It was crazy when you drive
by and see "testing activity" going on and then start passing the guys doing the "walk of shame".
View Quote

I know right! That was my main motivation for getting the EIB, the walk of shame and then I would have to repeat all the bullshit the next year. EFMB was a cake walk in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I know right! That was my main motivation for getting the EIB, the walk of shame and then I would have to repeat all the bullshit the next year. EFMB was a cake walk in comparison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

I got my EIB at Bragg, my EFMB in Germany.  EFMB was definitely easier.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I recently learned my grandfather who served in Korea around 1953 I believe third Korean Summer and was discharged from the USAR in 10/54 had earned a Combat Infantryman Badge...He doesn't speak much about his time in Korea...I know he did 1 years 4 months over in that hell hole.

Anyone care to explain the significance of a CIB earned during that period?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Got my EIB around 94 or so, when yes, there were CIBs, may of them cheaply earned, from Desert Storm. Got my CIB ten years later.  You can have my EIB.  

An EIB is a test you study for. Some are hard, not so hard, but it is just another academic test with some PT thrown in.  It may or may not be harder or easier but it is another test which is similar to people who test for things like high school, college, entering this job or whatever.  Everybody in this country has taken some sort of test; EIB is just another one.

Getting your CIB can cost you your life.  The CIB was awarded to reflect the fact that in WWII, infantrymen were getting killed and wounded out of all proportion to their numbers in the Army.

If you are more proud of your skillful ability to demonstrate your proficiency at training for war, rather then being in an fighting in a war, then you are missing the point of being in the community in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are more proud of your skillful ability to demonstrate your proficiency at training for war, rather then being in an fighting in a war, then you are missing the point of being in the community in the first place.
View Quote

Very well said.

I don't think there is anywhere near the amount of fraud and absurdity in the EIB though- its a pretty standard process that people either pass or fail.  The CIB has absolutely no such uniformity- and when you see it on someone (in the absence of other info) you have no idea if they've really been in even a single fight or not.  Very sad, but also very true.  It was supposed to mean something real and something significant, but that was destroyed by units and individuals abusing it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha

Say that after you do 18 hr combat patrols, every day,  for several weeks straight. And your unit is finding 30+ IEDs a month, and far more IEDs are exploded by the enemy than engineers can find.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Because the Army needs more bling.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Say that after you do 18 hr combat patrols, every day,  for several weeks straight. And your unit is finding 30+ IEDs a month, and far more IEDs are exploded by the enemy than engineers can find.    
View Quote

And that's what sucks so bad about the CIB and some other awards.

Some folks earned them that way.  Some other folks earned them by being in theater.  And they all wear the exact same thing.

Army.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I recently learned my grandfather who served in Korea around 1953 I believe third Korean Summer and was discharged from the USAR in 10/54 had earned a Combat Infantryman Badge...He doesn't speak much about his time in Korea...I know he did 1 years 4 months over in that hell hole.

View Quote

He earned his CIB.

IIRC, at that time, he earned it by being in 5 firefights, all on separate occasions.  

Please thank him for his service.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP.
View Quote

I haven't been following this thread and this post confused the shit out of me for a minute.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I haven't been following this thread and this post confused the shit out of me for a minute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP.

For the record, my post works in any thread, at any time, on any subject.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP.

You're on to something here...
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Two different things, should not be combined but both should be worn.  

One is a skill, like medic, the other is I have been there and done that.

Does it mean you shot someone in the face no, but you were in the action.

EIB means I know in simulation, mentally and physically how to be a expert grunt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He earned his CIB.

IIRC, at that time, he earned it by being in 5 firefights, all on separate occasions.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He earned his CIB.

Thank you. This seems to potentially explain a good bit.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top