Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Not comparable to many who have recieved less, Im wondering if this was just more of a PR Trip for Obama... This was 3 years ago it happened.

Regardless:

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
there are quite a few that deserve the MOH, some seem to only get it because they ended up dying?  why is it that no one living deserves it for their actions?  what makes the dead more deserving?  they all face the same danger yet are rewarded differently.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

there are quite a few that deserve the MOH, some seem to only get it because they ended up dying.  why is it that no one living deserves it for their actions.  what makes the dead more deserving?  they all face the same danger yet are rewarded differently.

+1

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

there are quite a few that deserve the MOH, some seem to only get it because they ended up dying?  why is it that no one living deserves it for their actions?  what makes the dead more deserving?  they all face the same danger yet are rewarded differently.  

"Above and Beyond the call of duty", personally I think it's hard to meet that criteria and live to tell the story. Some have, but they are a VERY small group.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The thing about trying to win a CMH is that it most likely will also "win" you a coffin too.

The last 20+ years there's no "likely" about it.  We haven't awarded a MOH to a living recipient since Vietnam.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I won't debate whether or not he earned it.

What bothers me about the MOH is that it is only being awarded posthumously.

I KNOW there have got to be Soldiers/Marines/Sailors/Airmen out there who are living and should have been awarded the MOH.

This.

If the last several recipients had done exactly what they did all except for having lived, you KNOW they wouldn't have gotten the CMOH and that's just wrong.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Double.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But he survived so I guess it doesn't count anymore.

This.

I read a story in the Army Times about someone that dove on a grenade and lived.  Think he got a MOH?  Nope.  It's no longer about the act, it's the result that gets the award.

Got a link to that? I'm curious. Anyone who willingly dives on a grenade is deserving of the MOH in my book. Seriously, it is a split second decision that is totally selfless. Most people wind up dying or becoming horribly injured.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Same reason Academy Award for Best Picture goes to films where the lead character(s) Suffer and/or (usually) Die in a Greek Tragic Hero fashion.

It is just something about 99% of the people in the western world.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Me thinks the only ones who have the right to discuss the MOH and the standards by which it is awarded, are those who have one.

Most of us can only imagine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wasn't there so as far as I'm concerned, he earned it.  I trust our military investigation teams to make a better judgement call than I could while sitting behind my computer screen in a comfy chair.

Everyone is welcome to their opinions but it amounts to nothing more than uninformed pettiness, I'd say.

Men who voice their negative criticisms of genuine heroes are not cut from the same cloth as their targets.

Well said.
Let us honor SFC Monti's brothers

DUNHAM, JASON L.
Corporal
U.S. Marine Corps
War In Iraq

McGINNIS, ROSS A.
Private First Class
U.S. Army
War In Iraq

MONSOOR, MICHAEL A.
Master-at-Arms
U.S. Navy
War In Iraq

SMITH, PAUL R.
Sergeant First Class
U.S. Army
War In Iraq

MURPHY, MICHAEL P.
Lieutenant
U.S. Navy
War In Afghanistan

MONTI, JARED C.
Sergeant First Class
U.S. Army
War In Afghanistan

God has blessed the United States with these fine men and their many brothers and sisters serving in harms way.

Monk
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#12]
He is a hero, no question.

CMH, I don't know.  There are a lot of equally heroic feats that did not receive a CMH.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Your comments reminded me of this from http://www.michaelyon-online.com/the-punishers-ball.htm:  "This man, SSG Holt: what he did in Mosul might have earned him a Medal of Honor, had it killed him. Fortunately, he survived and received a Silver Star. Someday, I’ll tell his story."
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Got a link to that? I'm curious. Anyone who willingly dives on a grenade is deserving of the MOH in my book. Seriously, it is a split second decision that is totally selfless. Most people wind up dying or becoming horribly injured.

It was the print version, but I'll do my best to find it online if I can.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I read a story in the Army Times about someone that dove on a grenade and lived.  Think he got a MOH?  Nope.  It's no longer about the act, it's the result that gets the award.

This may the first time I've ever agreed with anything you've said.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:

It was the print version, but I'll do my best to find it online if I can.

You have ASTRONOMICALLY better chance of surviving a jump on a grenade these days (thanks to much much better body armor), than you could have say 30 years ago in Vietnam where you would only live if the grenade was a dud.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I can think of a few people that are alive from the current wars that are deserving of the Medal of Honor.

Brian Chontosh is one. Had he been in WWII or Vietnam, chances are he would have been awarded one for what he did.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My opinion is I don't like medals, and would be perfectly happy with how the Confederates did it where NOBODY gets a medal for anything. Nobody is special, all of them are heroes.

This guy is a hero and committed an extremely valorous act

Robert E. Lee believed this.  There may have been some merit to it.  

The thing about medals is that some will go out and do something stupid to try and "win" one.  

The thing about trying to win a CMH is that it most likely will also "win" you a coffin too.

There was a time that wasn't entirely true. But we wouldn't want to do anything to boost morale these days. Kind of defeats the purpose of awards, IMO.

I dunno, there are some living cases that certainly deserve it but the Distinguished Service Cross or Silver Star are nothing to thumb your nose at.

DSC should be VERY highly respected, that is a very hard medal to get. But I've seen some turds end up getting silver stars. Some Silver star awardees definitely earned it, and some that certainly didn't.

When I was in Iraq, the guys who died got an automatic silver star, which I agree with, and in that light, the silver star does deserves alot of respect. However, other guys got silver star's just for being in Iraq and being of officer rank or SFC or above, and earned it doing they NOTHING valorous. So which I don't think warrants much respect if that is the case for earning it.

I've heard a lot of Silver Star citations read, and I've never heard of a single one (Navy or USMC) that wasn't well deserved.  If some folks are awarding it inappropriately, that's a really bad thing in my opinion –– but I've never heard of the situation you describe.  The standards for the Silver Star are very high for a reason, and need to stay that way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I believe his referring to Lance Cpl. Richard Weinmaster receiving the Navy Cross

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090821/NEWS01/708209834/1009

Cozad Marine honored for valor
BY HENRY J. CORDES
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Cozad Marine honored

In the heat of an ambush in Afghanistan's most lawless province, a 19-year-old Nebraskan jumped in front of a grenade to shield other Marines in his platoon.

Richard Weinmaster was critically wounded by the blast. But the bloodied Cozad native stayed in the fight, firing his machine gun at the enemy position until he collapsed from his wounds.

Looking back at the July 8, 2008, engagement, Weinmaster says he was “just doing my job.''

But his bosses in the Marine Corps — and the Secretary of the Navy — felt otherwise.

On Thursday, they awarded the now 20-year-old Weinmaster with the Navy Cross, second only to the Medal of Honor for recognition of bravery in combat.

“By his outstanding display of decisive action, unlimited courage in the face of extreme danger, and total dedication to duty, Private First Class Weinmaster reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service,'' reads the citation, signed by Navy Secretary Ray Mabus.

Weinmaster's family, including parents Jim and Karen Weinmaster of Cozad, were on hand at the Marine Corps base in Twentynine Palms, Calif., for the presentation of the medal and Weinmaster's promotion to lance corporal.
And their pride was shared back in Cozad, where Weinmaster graduated from high school before enlisting in 2007.

“You will never meet a quieter, nicer, more courteous young man,'' said Tim Hansen, Weinmaster's high school counselor. “This is the feel-good deal of the year for us.''

Last year, Weinmaster and other members of the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment were serving in Helmand Province, a deadly part of southern Afghanistan that has long been a stronghold of the Taliban. It was Weinmaster's first deployment, and he'd been on the ground about two and a half months.

Weinmaster was on patrol July 8 with 3rd Platoon, Company E, walking out in front with his automatic weapon.
They were making their way through an 8-foot wide alley bordered by 10-foot mud-brick walls on both sides. It had been dubbed “ambush alley''— for good reason, as they suddenly found. The patrol was attacked with small-arms fire and grenades.

Weinmaster fired back until he noticed an incoming grenade land near his team leader, Lance Cpl. Travis Wilkerson.

Wilkerson says Weinmaster shoved him out of the way and jumped toward the grenade to try to smother the blast. It exploded while Weinmaster was in mid-air, and he took the brunt of the shrapnel.

Wilkerson and other Marines were uninjured. But Weinmaster received numerous shrapnel wounds to his body and head, including a shrapnel piece that went through his eye socket into his brain.

Despite his injuries, Weinmaster again took up his machine gun and resumed fire on the enemy position 50 yards away. The Marines say his fire forced the enemy to break contact, and Weinmaster ultimately collapsed from his wounds.

Weinmaster suffered severe injuries to his head, legs and abdomen and was airlifted to the United States. Hansen said there was initially much uncertainty that Weinmaster would survive.

But after months of recuperation, he recovered. He still has a piece of shrapnel lodged in his brain.

During his recuperation, he spent several weeks in Cozad visiting family, friends and former teachers, and local officials held a big reception for him. He eventually was able to return to his unit at Twentynine Palms.

And after months of review at the Navy's highest levels, he was honored Thursday for his valor. Major Gen. Richard Mills, commanding general of the 1st Marine Division pinned the Navy Cross on his chest.

After the ceremony, scores of Marines and former Marines thanked Weinmaster. Weinmaster was smiling but remained humble about it all.

“I didn't do anything special,'' he said. “Everyone on my left and right would have done the same thing. I was just in the right place at the right time.''

Copyright ©2009 Omaha World-Herald®. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or redistributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald.

THE SECRETARY OF THE NAVY

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the NAVY CROSS to

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS RICHARD S. WEINMASTER
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

For extraordinary heroism while serving as Automatic Rifleman, 3d Platoon, Company E, 2d Battalion, 7th Marines, Marine Corps Forces, Central Command (Forward) in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM on 8 July 2008. Private First Class Weinmaster’s squad was conducting a dismounted patrol down a narrow side street in the Sangin District of Helmand Province, Afghanistan, when enemy forces ambushed the squad with medium machine gun fire and hand grenades. Upon contact, Private First Class Weinmaster immediately began engaging the enemy positions with his squad automatic weapon. As he delivered suppressive fire and assaulted the enemy, encountering a withering volume of fire that passed within meters of his position, Private First Class Weinmaster saw two hand grenades tossed over a wall land in the middle of his patrol. Noting where the grenades landed, he quickly placed himself between the grenade and his fire team leader, using his body to shield both his team leader and several other Marines from the blast, which occurred immediately. Private First Class Weinmaster was seriously injured when the grenade detonated, but his valorous actions prevented his fire team leader from receiving any shrapnel. Although he was critically wounded, Private First Class Weinmaster continued to carry on the attack, engaging enemy forces with accurate weapons fire and forcing them to break contact, until he collapsed from the gravity of his wounds. By his outstanding display of decisive action, unlimited courage in the face of extreme danger, and total dedication to duty, Private First Class Weinmaster reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

For the President,

Ray Mabus
Secretary of the Navy

Monk
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My opinion is I don't like medals, and would be perfectly happy with how the Confederates did it where NOBODY gets a medal for anything. Nobody is special, all of them are heroes.

The thing about medals is that some will go out and do something stupid to try and "win" one.  

There was a time that wasn't entirely true. But we wouldn't want to do anything to boost morale these days. Kind of defeats the purpose of awards, IMO.

I dunno, there are some living cases that certainly deserve it but the Distinguished Service Cross or Silver Star are nothing to thumb your nose at.

DSC should be VERY highly respected, that is a very hard medal to get. But I've seen some turds end up getting silver stars. Some Silver star awardees definitely earned it, and some that certainly didn't.

When I was in Iraq, the guys who died got an automatic silver star, which I agree with, and in that light, the silver star does deserves alot of respect. However, other guys got silver star's just for being in Iraq and being of officer rank or SFC or above, and earned it doing they NOTHING valorous. So which I don't think warrants much respect if that is the case for earning it.

I've heard a lot of Silver Star citations read, and I've never heard of a single one (Navy or USMC) that wasn't well deserved.  If some folks are awarding it inappropriately, that's a really bad thing in my opinion.

I've seen both sides. Where guys REALLY did earn them, and other guys get them for just being a leader of a platoon or company, even if they never themselves got shot at or had to actually LEAD their troops while under attack.

The Silver Star should be a very respected award, but sadly, some people seem to get it because of their rank.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can think of a few people that are alive from the current wars that are deserving of the Medal of Honor.

Brian Chontosh is one. Had he been in WWII or Vietnam, chances are he would have been awarded one for what he did.

I was thinking of him and Bradley Kasal.

Brian R. Chontosh
First Lieutenant, United States Marine Corps

For Services as Set Forth in the Following Citation:

For extraordinary heroism as Combined Anti-Armor Platoon Commander, Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM on 25 March 2003. While leading his platoon north on Highway I toward Ad Diwaniyah, First Lieutenant Chontosh's platoon moved into a coordinated ambush of mortars, rocket propelled grenades, and automatic weapons fire. With coalition tanks blocking the road ahead, he realized his platoon was caught in a kill zone. He had his driver move the vehicle through a breach along his flank, where he was immediately taken under fire from an entrenched machine gun. Without hesitation, First Lieutenant Chontosh ordered the driver to advance directly at the enemy position enabling his .50 caliber machine gunner to silence the enemy. He then directed his driver into the enemy trench, where he exited his vehicle and began to clear the trench with an M16A2 service rifle and 9 millimeter pistol. His ammunition depleted, First Lieutenant Chontosh, with complete disregard for his safety, twice picked up discarded enemy rifles and continued his ferocious attack. When a Marine following him found an enemy rocket propelled grenade launcher, First Lieutenant Chontosh used it to destroy yet another group of enemy soldiers. When his audacious attack ended, he had cleared over 200 meters of the enemy trench, killing more than 20 enemy soldiers and wounding several others. By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, First Lieutenant Chontosh reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Bradley A. Kasal
First Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

For extraordinary heroism while serving as First Sergeant, Weapons Company, 3d Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 1, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Central Command in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM on 13 November 2004. First Sergeant Kasal was assisting 1st Section, Combined Anti-Armor Platoon as they provided a traveling over watch for 3d Platoon when he heard a large volume of fire erupt to his immediate front, shortly followed by Marines rapidly exiting a structure. When First Sergeant Kasal learned that Marines were pinned down inside the house by an unknown number of enemy personnel, he joined a squad making entry to clear the structure and rescue the Marines inside. He made entry into the first room, immediately encountering and eliminating an enemy insurgent, as he spotted a wounded Marine in the next room. While moving towards the wounded Marine, First Sergeant Kasal and another Marine came under heavy rifle fire from an elevated enemy firing position and were both severely wounded in the legs, immobilizing them. When insurgents threw grenades in an attempt to eliminate the wounded Marines, he rolled on top of his fellow Marine and absorbed the shrapnel with his own body. When First Sergeant Kasal was offered medical attention and extraction, he refused until the other Marines were given medical attention. Although severely wounded himself, he shouted encouragement to his fellow Marines as they continued to clear the structure. By his bold leadership, wise judgment, and complete dedication to duty, First Sergeant Kasal reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When a man dies in the process of trying to save another soldier on a battlefield he has shown the highest degree of courage that can be imagined. He didn't risk his life trying to save somebody, he gave his life doing it, it is unlikely that he did not know the risk of his actions, or the slim chances of success yet he went about it anyway, what on gods green earth could be more courageous than that? Using the standards some seem to thing should be used, this guy deserves the CMH, and no living recipient doesn't, while they may have showed great bravery, obviously they weren't facing certain death, or they would have also received the medal posthumously as well.

This.

And ya'll are some ballsy motherfuckers calling out a man who gave his life to try and save his troop.  No doubt, there are some others who deserve it as well, but damn, really?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When a man dies in the process of trying to save another soldier on a battlefield he has shown the highest degree of courage that can be imagined. He didn't risk his life trying to save somebody, he gave his life doing it, it is unlikely that he did not know the risk of his actions, or the slim chances of success yet he went about it anyway, what on gods green earth could be more courageous than that? Using the standards some seem to thing should be used, this guy deserves the CMH, and no living recipient doesn't, while they may have showed great bravery, obviously they weren't facing certain death, or they would have also received the medal posthumously as well.

Open mouth, insert foot, chew vigorously.

Weinmaster, mentioned previously is most certainly deserving. He jumped on a grenade that somehow managed to not kill him.

This guy, also deserves one in my opinion.

The President of the United States
Takes Pleasure in Presenting
The Navy Cross
To

Brian R. Chontosh

For extraordinary heroism as Combined Anti-Armor Platoon Commander, Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM on 25 March 2003. While leading his platoon north on Highway I toward Ad Diwaniyah, First Lieutenant Chontosh's platoon moved into a coordinated ambush of mortars, rocket propelled grenades, and automatic weapons fire. With coalition tanks blocking the road ahead, he realized his platoon was caught in a kill zone. He had his driver move the vehicle through a breach along his flank, where he was immediately taken under fire from an entrenched machine gun. Without hesitation, First Lieutenant Chontosh ordered the driver to advance directly at the enemy position enabling his .50 caliber machine gunner to silence the enemy. He then directed his driver into the enemy trench, where he exited his vehicle and began to clear the trench with an M16A2 service rifle and 9 millimeter pistol. His ammunition depleted, First Lieutenant Chontosh, with complete disregard for his safety, twice picked up discarded enemy rifles and continued his ferocious attack. When a Marine following him found an enemy rocket propelled grenade launcher, First Lieutenant Chontosh used it to destroy yet another group of enemy soldiers. When his audacious attack ended, he had cleared over 200 meters of the enemy trench, killing more than 20 enemy soldiers and wounding several others. By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, First Lieutenant Chontosh reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Old timers around here know him better as Diesel06.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I believe his referring to Lance Cpl. Richard Weinmaster receiving the Navy Cross

That's the one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Open mouth, insert foot, chew vigorously.

Weinmaster, mentioned previously is most certainly deserving. He jumped on a grenade that somehow managed to not kill him.

This guy, also deserves one in my opinion.

The President of the United States
Takes Pleasure in Presenting
The Navy Cross
To

Brian R. Chontosh

Old timers around here know him better as Diesel06.

Lt Chontosh and the rest of the very small group of Navy Cross awardees are well known throughout the Navy, and the heroism they have displayed sets one hell of an example.  Didn't know he was a member here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Cozad Marine honored for valor
BY HENRY J. CORDES
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Cozad Marine honored

In the heat of an ambush in Afghanistan's most lawless province, a 19-year-old Nebraskan jumped in front of a grenade to shield other Marines in his platoon.

Richard Weinmaster was critically wounded by the blast. But the bloodied Cozad native stayed in the fight, firing his machine gun at the enemy position until he collapsed from his wounds.

Looking back at the July 8, 2008, engagement, Weinmaster says he was “just doing my job.''

But his bosses in the Marine Corps — and the Secretary of the Navy — felt otherwise.

On Thursday, they awarded the now 20-year-old Weinmaster with the Navy Cross, second only to the Medal of Honor for recognition of bravery in combat.

“By his outstanding display of decisive action, unlimited courage in the face of extreme danger, and total dedication to duty, Private First Class Weinmaster reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service,'' reads the citation, signed by Navy Secretary Ray Mabus.

Weinmaster's family, including parents Jim and Karen Weinmaster of Cozad, were on hand at the Marine Corps base in Twentynine Palms, Calif., for the presentation of the medal and Weinmaster's promotion to lance corporal.
And their pride was shared back in Cozad, where Weinmaster graduated from high school before enlisting in 2007.

“You will never meet a quieter, nicer, more courteous young man,'' said Tim Hansen, Weinmaster's high school counselor. “This is the feel-good deal of the year for us.''

Last year, Weinmaster and other members of the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment were serving in Helmand Province, a deadly part of southern Afghanistan that has long been a stronghold of the Taliban. It was Weinmaster's first deployment, and he'd been on the ground about two and a half months.

Weinmaster was on patrol July 8 with 3rd Platoon, Company E, walking out in front with his automatic weapon.
They were making their way through an 8-foot wide alley bordered by 10-foot mud-brick walls on both sides. It had been dubbed “ambush alley''— for good reason, as they suddenly found. The patrol was attacked with small-arms fire and grenades.

Weinmaster fired back until he noticed an incoming grenade land near his team leader, Lance Cpl. Travis Wilkerson.

Wilkerson says Weinmaster shoved him out of the way and jumped toward the grenade to try to smother the blast. It exploded while Weinmaster was in mid-air, and he took the brunt of the shrapnel.

Wilkerson and other Marines were uninjured. But Weinmaster received numerous shrapnel wounds to his body and head, including a shrapnel piece that went through his eye socket into his brain.

Despite his injuries, Weinmaster again took up his machine gun and resumed fire on the enemy position 50 yards away. The Marines say his fire forced the enemy to break contact, and Weinmaster ultimately collapsed from his wounds.

Weinmaster suffered severe injuries to his head, legs and abdomen and was airlifted to the United States. Hansen said there was initially much uncertainty that Weinmaster would survive.

But after months of recuperation, he recovered. He still has a piece of shrapnel lodged in his brain.

During his recuperation, he spent several weeks in Cozad visiting family, friends and former teachers, and local officials held a big reception for him. He eventually was able to return to his unit at Twentynine Palms.

And after months of review at the Navy's highest levels, he was honored Thursday for his valor. Major Gen. Richard Mills, commanding general of the 1st Marine Division pinned the Navy Cross on his chest.

After the ceremony, scores of Marines and former Marines thanked Weinmaster. Weinmaster was smiling but remained humble about it all.

“I didn't do anything special,'' he said. “Everyone on my left and right would have done the same thing. I was just in the right place at the right time.''

Copyright ©2009 Omaha World-Herald®. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or redistributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald.

THE SECRETARY OF THE NAVY

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the NAVY CROSS to

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS RICHARD S. WEINMASTER
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

For extraordinary heroism while serving as Automatic Rifleman, 3d Platoon, Company E, 2d Battalion, 7th Marines, Marine Corps Forces, Central Command (Forward) in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM on 8 July 2008. Private First Class Weinmaster’s squad was conducting a dismounted patrol down a narrow side street in the Sangin District of Helmand Province, Afghanistan, when enemy forces ambushed the squad with medium machine gun fire and hand grenades. Upon contact, Private First Class Weinmaster immediately began engaging the enemy positions with his squad automatic weapon. As he delivered suppressive fire and assaulted the enemy, encountering a withering volume of fire that passed within meters of his position, Private First Class Weinmaster saw two hand grenades tossed over a wall land in the middle of his patrol. Noting where the grenades landed, he quickly placed himself between the grenade and his fire team leader, using his body to shield both his team leader and several other Marines from the blast, which occurred immediately. Private First Class Weinmaster was seriously injured when the grenade detonated, but his valorous actions prevented his fire team leader from receiving any shrapnel. Although he was critically wounded, Private First Class Weinmaster continued to carry on the attack, engaging enemy forces with accurate weapons fire and forcing them to break contact, until he collapsed from the gravity of his wounds. By his outstanding display of decisive action, unlimited courage in the face of extreme danger, and total dedication to duty, Private First Class Weinmaster reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

For the President,

Ray Mabus
Secretary of the Navy

http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OW&Date=20090821&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=708209834&Ref=AR&Profile=1009&maxw=600&maxh=400
Monk

I'm in no way taking anything away from what Michael Monsoor did with what I'm about to say, but if he got the MoH then why did Weinmaster not also recieve the MoH? Because he lived?

Again I'm not taking away from anything these two did as they are both heroes with much bigger balls than I will ever have. Just wondering.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I won't make a judgement since I wasn't a witness, but that story confused me because it says Monti died because of the snapped cable and yet it states that it was Bradbury and the medic that were in I presume a basket? What am I missing  here?  

Was it because they were unable to get him out in time from apparently mortal wounds?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Me thinks the only ones who have the right to discuss the MOH and the standards by which it is awarded, are those who have one.

Most of us can only imagine.

Then maybe it would be common sense to include some of those heroes in the process of approving the awarding of subsequent MOH's?

Oh wait––common sense and the gov don't go together...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Brian R. Chontosh

Yep, (then) Lt Chontosh absolutely should have gotten it.  Getting the medal hasn't gotten easier.  The fact that we haven't awarded one to a living serviceman since Vietnam proves that.  And if you don't think amazingly heroic acts are still happening on a regular basis you're out of your fucking mind.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm in no way taking anything away from what Michael Monsoor did with what I'm about to say, but if he got the MoH then why did Weinmaster not also recieve the MoH? Because he lived?

Again I'm not taking away from anything these two did as they are both heroes with much bigger balls than I will ever have. Just wondering.

That is exactly what is happening.

Die = MOH

Live = No MOH.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I won't make a judgement since I wasn't a witness, but that story confused me because it says Monti died because of the snapped cable and yet it states that it was Bradbury and the medic that were in I presume a basket? What am I missing  here?  

Was it because they were unable to get him out in time from apparently mortal wounds?

Monti was killed by enemy gun fire.
Bradbury and the Medic died in the fall from the helo.

Monk

ETA from CNN

A U.S. helicopter lowered a medic to grab Bradbury, the young private Monti had tried to save, in order to get him quickly to a hospital. As the two men were being raised into the air, a cable snapped. Bradbury and the medic plunged to their deaths
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I won't debate whether or not he earned it.

What bothers me about the MOH is that it is only being awarded posthumously.

I KNOW there have got to be Soldiers/Marines/Sailors/Airmen out there who are living and should have been awarded the MOH.

This is my issue.  Sometimes the Hero lives.  If he does, it's an automatic disqual for the MOH.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is exactly what is happening.

Die = MOH

Live = No MOH.

Which is BS in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
how the fuck can you guys sit there on your fat asses and think you know better than the DOD. jesus, the guy was awarded the MOH for fucks sake.

I wasn't commenting on this one in particular, but I think the MOH is getting watered down a bit.  

Maybe I am wrong, so be it.

What? There hasn't been a single MOH awarded to a living person in the last 8 years while fighting two wars. How the fuck can you call that watered down?

What you can call it, is political.

As someone once posted a while back - dead MoH recipients don't embarrass political leadership when they go "off message."

I too was surprised when Obama read the citation.  I kept thinking... "there is more, right?"

We have buried a lot of brave men and women these past 8 years, who earned only Bronze Stars with V's or Silver Stars.  We have awarded Silvers Stars to many living heroes - some of whom too as much risk as Monti, with greater success, and whose only mistake seems to have been living through it.

Going back three times is pretty ballsy, and the risk to his life is self evident in that he lost his.  Still, read up against previous citations, you can't help but feel something was missing.  What happened to his injured soldier?  What happened to the rest of the unit?  Did his actions contribute to their ability to pull back and regroup?  Did his actions effect the enemy situation at all?  Usually this kind of stuff is a mandatory part of the citation.

It is possible, reading between the lines, that his actions directly contributed to their eventually getting the other Soldier to a position where it could be winched.  If so, it could just be a poorly worded narrative.  Perhaps his leadership and actions inspired the rest of the Soldiers to ward off the Taliban, allowing medevac efforts to begin on the wounded Soldier.  That little bit changes the citation significantly, and puts in the the framework one would expect for such an award.

Maybe the part of heard on TV was incomplete.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
how the fuck can you guys sit there on your fat asses and think you know better than the DOD. jesus, the guy was awarded the MOH for fucks sake.

I wasn't commenting on this one in particular, but I think the MOH is getting watered down a bit.  

Maybe I am wrong, so be it.

What? There hasn't been a single MOH awarded to a living person in the last 8 years while fighting two wars. How the fuck can you call that watered down?

It has been longer than that.  Vietnam?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard a lot of Silver Star citations read, and I've never heard of a single one (Navy or USMC) that wasn't well deserved.  If some folks are awarding it inappropriately, that's a really bad thing in my opinion.

I've seen both sides. Where guys REALLY did earn them, and other guys get them for just being a leader of a platoon or company, even if they never themselves got shot at or had to actually LEAD their troops while under attack.

The Silver Star should be a very respected award, but sadly, some people seem to get it because of their rank.

I'm finding this but really hard to accept.  Do you have any first hand knowledge of this.

I thought the Bronze Star was watered down enough.  Using the Silver Star for anything but extraordinary valor, though, is pure bullshit.  I'd be raising holy hell, as it dishonors others who have earned it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Who the fuck do you think you are?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
how the fuck can you guys sit there on your fat asses and think you know better than the DOD.

You obviously never served.

Monti put himself in a very lethal harm's way three times before he got waxed. I think that is CMOH stuff right there. He knew what he was doing would most likely get himself killed. You might argue that he didn't rack up any kills as he did it, or that he didn't single handedly take on a platoon for hours on end, but I think from the battle report that he was the kind of guy who would have.

I don't have a problem with him getting a MOH.

Oddly, 24 years later, I still have a problem with a certain PV2 who got an ARCOM just for showing up at NTC. We all showed up, and that shitbird just got a random ARCOM, which was hard as hell to get back then. The whole company was pissed.

Every swinging dick who showed up and went to AFG with us got an ARCOM.  Both of my guys said they would  refuse it if given.  They both got MSM's.    The REMF SFC from S1 who was too fat to fit into an MRAP got a BSM for doing his paperwork, at his desk and only leaving the FOB to go on leave and go home.  Then he got ANOTHER BSM from the state for the SAME period of time, to include the work-up to mobilization.  I will agree that he did a lot of work, but it was HIS JOB.

One of my guys, 50 y/o former MAJ, serving as a COMMO SGT; went on multiple RCP missions and served as a gunner on several missions.  He regularly went out on grocery runs (airdrop supplies) for the FOB.  He got an MSM.  

The medals, up to BSMwV, have all been watered down to some extent.

CMoH has not been, up to this point, and has actually gotten more serious in its award as it has only been posthumously awarded since at least GW1.  

SSG Monti . . . he deserves an award.  CMoH feels like . . . too much.  It kills me to say it, but it is.  But what is done is done.

RIP, brother.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I will never second guess or pass any judgement on a man or woman in combat.

SSgt Monti died a hero's death, so says his country. Get over who gave the speech.

It is about him and his family don't diminsh it with petty differences and politics. How many have been awarded in A-Stan? 2 in 7 years.

If it were up to me I would give one to all the men and women who have the ball to put up and shut up and serve in combat............they deserve it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He attempted more than once to retrieve a downed comrade under fire and was killed before he was successful.  It doesn't mention him being actively engaged in firing back or fighting while trying to do so (he may have been).

Compare that to other MoH actions.  More than one of them involve SUCCESSFUL retrieval of several fellow soldiers, while under fire, while being wounded, AND fighting back.

There's no doubt he was a hero...  but the standards for the MoH have been set at a higher level of achievement, based on their history.

DSC does sound about right.

+1

I agree
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I will never second guess or pass any judgement on a man or woman in combat.

SSgt Monti died a hero's death, so says his country. Get over who gave the speech.

It is about him and his family don't diminsh it with petty differences and politics. How many have been awarded in A-Stan? 2 in 7 years.

If it were up to me I would give one to all the men and women who have the ball to put up and shut up and serve in combat............they deserve it.

I haven't seen anyone disparage SSG/SFC Monti's actions, nor question his courage, nor pass judgment on his actions.

Every question has been focused on the actions of leadership after the fact, and how the citation compares to others.

We clearly do not just give the MoH to every soldier killed in a fight, nor to every soldier who fights off an enemy force.  I think a discussion about what discriminates one level of medal from another is healthy and valid.  This is especially valid in light of the obvious political context.

To suggest thinking he maybe should have been awarded had a Silver Star or DSC as "second guessing" or "passing judgment" on the man himself is suggesting those awards are somehow trivial and is, quite frankly, insulting to the men and women who have earned them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#44]
this thread is in poor taste
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm finding this but really hard to accept.  Do you have any first hand knowledge of this.
I thought the Bronze Star was watered down enough.  Using the Silver Star for anything but extraordinary valor, though, is pure bullshit.  I'd be raising holy hell, as it dishonors others who have earned it.

I saw it with my own eyes. It was sort of a standard thing. EVERY platoon leader or platoon sergeant got a silver star. It was like they were entitled to it. I was pissed about it. And no, this isn't something that is rare, lots of units are doing the same thing.

Hell, I was with a SF unit on the my first tour, and they were giving out silver stars to each other like it was candy. And none of them really faced ANY hostile fire.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian R. Chontosh

Yep, (then) Lt Chontosh absolutely should have gotten it.  Getting the medal hasn't gotten easier.  The fact that we haven't awarded one to a living serviceman since Vietnam proves that.  And if you don't think amazingly heroic acts are still happening on a regular basis you're out of your fucking mind.  

Yes Chontosh should have gotten it, but I'm very glad he didn't under the current standards, I'd hate to lose a soldier that great.
He was like something out of a hollywood movie come to life, i cannot imagine the last thoughts of those Iraqis in the trenches.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So did this 2LT, and he got a silver star, seemingly because he lived.
http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=140&article=63210

For 2nd Lt. Nicholas Eslinger, it was instinct.

On Oct. 1, Eslinger, a platoon leader in Charlie Company, 2nd Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, and about 12 of his soldiers were on a dismounted patrol in Samarra, Iraq, when a grenade was thrown into their formation.

Eslinger ran toward the grenade, which was about six feet away, and covered it with his body.

“I saw the hand grenade come over the wall,” he said to an Army broadcaster on March 16. “I quickly did a hop, skip and a jump and landed on my side, pinning the grenade against the ground and into my chest, and kind of in one motion, as quickly as I could, I grabbed the grenade and threw it towards the wall that it came from.”

Eslinger yelled for his men to take cover and the grenade exploded.

“It’s not something that I thought about,” Eslinger said. “If I would have thought, things would not have happened so well.”

His actions that day saved the lives of at least six of his soldiers and earned him a Silver Star, the Army’s third-highest award for valor.

Eslinger, a West Point graduate who is now a first lieutenant, received his Silver Star from Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey during a ceremony March 16 at Fort Campbell, Ky.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian R. Chontosh

Yes Chontosh should have gotten it, but I'm very glad he didn't under the current standards, I'd hate to lose a soldier Marine that great.
He was like something out of a hollywood movie come to life, i cannot imagine the last thoughts of those Iraqis in the trenches.

Fixed it for you.

Monk

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Why do we even have medals? They serve no purpose and the vast majority of recipients dont want them either.

Pointless.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Hi all
I think Sgt. Jared Monti died a herioc death. My condolances to his family. He was awarded the congressional Medal of Honoh(CMOH) today by President B.O. ...

"Sgt. Jared Monti: Monti was leading a small Army patrol near the Pakistani border in 2006 when it was ambushed. He called for help, then ventured out to rescue a wounded soldier, losing his own life. The man he tried to rescue, as well as a medic, later died when a helicopter cable snapped."

http://news.aol.com/article/late-soldier-sgt-jared-monti-to-receive/674499

I don't think he deserves the Medal of Honor.

Compare,if you will, what other winners of the CMH have done:
(Although I suggest skipping the cases where whole units were given a CMOH for re-enlisting during the Cival War.)

http://www.history.army.mil/moh.html

IMHO Sgt. Jared Monti certainly deserves some type of award, but not the highest one.

Before the imature name calling begins-really think about this issue. If every one who has died in the Iraq War was given a CMOH- what would it really mean?

RIP Sgt. Jared Monti.

They were outnumbered 3-4 to 1, facing heavy fire, with small arms fire and RPG's, and Sgt Monti left cover 3 times trying to recover a wounded soldier.

That is exactly the stuff MoH's were given for in both WW-I and WW-II.

The real problem is that  the MoH has become an award that is only award posthumously recently.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top