BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#1]
page 3 is mine!

The humane society or animal control must euthanizes your dog if not cared for to their standards.

People sometimes also need to be killed to keep them from hurting themselves.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wonder what he put in his mouth.

I wonder if they ran some kind of toxicology on him while in the hospital.  I don't presume anything would show up now, as it says he was on life support for a while.

Reckon his history of SEIZURES had something to do with his brain-deadness?

Maybe it was a crack rock?  That might could dead your brain.

He didn't put anything in his mouth...........Cop bullshit story embellishment to save his ass.

Cop tased the guy because he didn't follow orders.  When cops give orders.......one MUST obey.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah......that is fucked up.....next thing it will be walking while intoxicated,  breathing while intoxicated,  pissing while intoxicated.

Oh, they have that already in some places. It's called "drunk in public." Not "drunk and disorderly," just in public. Oh, and "in public" means anywhere within eyeshot of the public, even if you're on your own lawn or porch. I wish I were joking about any of that.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:25:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Am I the only one wondering exactly what killed the guy?

Assuming his last tumble off the bike didn't produce severe head trauma, I'm seeing signs of someone who may have already been in medical distress.

In other words, the tasering may have had precisely zero to do with the man's eventual death.

I know this is ARFCOM and it's always the Po-po's fault, but how about applying some basic logic rather than erroneously assigning causality to what sounds like a merely coincidental event?

No, I'm not wondering what killed the guy.  Because I've been on a bike.  Even with the ability to defend myself during a fall recently, I still got injured.  If I was unable to defend myself (for instance, if some dipshit was actually fucking dumb enough to tase someone on a bike), I would actually expect a life-threatening injury.

The only reason anyone who falls off a bike doesn't hit their head is because they can react in time to defend themselves.  The natural movement of a bike fall will put your head to the ground.  The officer killed him.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Assuming his last tumble off the bike didn't produce severe head trauma, I'm seeing signs of someone who may have already been in medical distress.

In other words, the tasering may have had precisely zero to do with the man's eventual death.

I know this is ARFCOM and it's always the Po-po's fault, but how about applying some basic logic rather than erroneously assigning causality to what sounds like a merely coincidental event?

I agree with you in essence here, but I think you need to look at the other side of the coin as well. Sometimes police officers do fuck up, and when that happens I think it's important that they get called out on it. I wasn't there, so I don't know exactly how the situation played out, but I don't believe it it appropriate to hit an old man with a taser just because he wont stop his bike. That's extremely heavy handed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with you in essence here, but I think you need to look at the other side of the coin as well. Sometimes police officers do fuck up, and when that happens I think it's important that they get called out on it. I wasn't there, so I don't know exactly how the situation played out, but I don't believe it it appropriate to hit an old man with a taser just because he wont stop his bike. That's extremely heavy handed.
Sometimes happens alot in this country now adays

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would think anyone in LE would second guess the use of a taser on the elderly. What happens if you zap a person with a pace maker?

Already been done (to a federal prison inmate), and caused no problem.

Want the link to the case report?  It was presented a year or two ago at one of the national Cardiology meetings.

ETA:  Here is a small case series.  No serious problems demonstrated.

I read some additional journal articles on the subject. Someone should contact the researchers and correct this entry:
"Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
The conducted electrical weapon (CEW) is used by law enforcement to control potentially violent people..."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20537475
Does a 61 year old man not getting off a bicycle fall into the catagory of "potentially violent".

I think the TASER was a wonderful invention and a beneficial additional tool for LE, but, It seems more and more it replaces tact and intelligence where officers opinion are of "Do as I say or ride the lightning" attitude towards non-violent individuals.

Also, my comment was not to be specific towards pace makers but more towards the elderly having a higher probability of health issues that a taser could cause complications with.

On a positive note, thank you for the link. I do love asking questions and getting direct black and white printed information.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, Taser's don't generally cause brain injury.  I suspect the victim's medical state may have precipitated the whole event....

That being said, Tasing somebody riding a bike doesn't seem like the best idea ever in this situation.

They do if you tase someone, they lose control of their muscles [you know, exactly what a taser was  designed to do] fall off the bike and strike their head. Would one tase a person at 20 MPH while driving a car even if there was a reason to stop them?

Hence my second statement.  But blaming the tazer isn't really accurate.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 1:32:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I’m not sure what caused the death.  All I know is, per the article, the man on the bike did nothing wrong.  He committed no crime and the only reason the law was called was out of concern for his safety after he fell the first time.  I’m not sure why the LEO thought he needed to stun the guy (he was not a suspect)  just to ask him if he was ok.  In any case the out come is pretty sad.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 1:57:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
These threads always go so well...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I was thinking the same thing.  Jesus. Here we go again.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:14:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Do not question authority.  Deaf or not.  Disobey and die.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WTF? I can't see how riding a bicycle drunk is an allegation worthy of non-lethal force.

+1
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Freeman said her brother was disabled, suffered from seizures and had trouble hearing

Not a sufficient excuse to disobey a lawful order.

You're right. They should have shot him dead!
....oh wait...

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yet ANOTHER story of using the taser as a "obey my orders" and a compliance tool instead of a Les than lethal tool.  

This what I was going to post.

I understand the cop needs to find out whats going on, but did he need to play his "Respect Mah Authoratah!" card?

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top