Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:41:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If he could get close enough to tase the old boy,
he could have just grabbed the bike.  

Have you ever tried that there hero?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:42:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Get ready to open your wallet, taxpayers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:44:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Note to self: no bike riding in Scotland Neck.

And no sitting on the sidewalk at UC-Davis.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am hard of hearing and this is a concern for me, I have missed at least one question from a LEO because I did not hear him. 'SIR ARE YOU ARMED?"

This reminds me of the incident where a guy had been in an accident, was stunned, concussed and got tazed because he was unable to follow the LEO's instructions.

WTF happened to common sense or good judgement. The LEO did not have to taze the old deaf disabled guy on the bike, he could have pitted him (this is where you use your car to bump the guy and knock him off of his bicycle or motorcycle) or he could have done a felony stop, or he could have driven beside him and used his car door to knock the old deaf guy off of his bike.

That is stupid also

That is sarcasm.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Am I the only one wondering exactly what killed the guy?

Assuming his last tumble off the bike didn't produce severe head trauma, I'm seeing signs of someone who may have already been in medical distress.

In other words, the tasering may have had precisely zero to do with the man's eventual death.

I know this is ARFCOM and it's always the Po-po's fault, but how about applying some basic logic rather than erroneously assigning causality to what sounds like a merely coincidental event?

ARFCOM never waits for the truth. If LEO is involved, it's their fault and many dogs died as well as brutality against old ladies and little babies. It is the ARFCOM way. How dare you inject logic and reason into a LEO bash thread.

ARFCOM trolls are never wrong.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:50:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Needs more low speed PIT manuver.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Haha. Yeah, a PIT on a bike operated by an old man who was probably under the influence of multiple chemicals. What does that entail - a stick shoved into the spokes of the front wheel?

Really though, unless the guy fell like a sack of rocks and hit his head just wrong (which is a possibility), I have noticed a pattern with most of the people who actually die from being Tasered - they're all on drugs. Yes, I'm sure there are a few cases out there where otherwise non-drugged people have had rare, idiopathic reactions and died, but that seems exceedingly rare.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming his last tumble off the bike didn't produce severe head trauma, I'm seeing signs of someone who may have already been in medical distress.

In other words, the tasering may have had precisely zero to do with the man's eventual death.

I know this is ARFCOM and it's always the Po-po's fault, but how about applying some basic logic rather than erroneously assigning causality to what sounds like a merely coincidental event?

ARFCOM never waits for the truth. If LEO is involved, it's their fault and many dogs died as well as brutality against old ladies and little babies. It is the ARFCOM way. How dare you inject logic and reason into a LEO bash thread.

ARFCOM trolls are never wrong.

If the guy WAS in distress, it sure the hell didn't help any by adding a tasering to it. Lets see, guy is bleeding from a cut on his arm, lets grab a chainsaw and cut his leg off, WHOOPS, he died, lets blame it on the arm wound to CYA.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha. Yeah, a PIT on a bike operated by an old man who was probably under the influence of multiple chemicals. What does that entail - a stick shoved into the spokes of the front wheel?

Really though, unless the guy fell like a sack of rocks and hit his head just wrong (which is a possibility), I have noticed a pattern with most of the people who actually die from being Tasered - they're all on drugs. Yes, I'm sure there are a few cases out there where otherwise non-drugged people have had rare, idiopathic reactions and died, but that seems exceedingly rare.

Works like any PIT. Bump the back tire bike done twice on crack heads, hit another with the door.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:03:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Works like any PIT. Bump the back tire bike done twice on crack heads, hit another with the door.

Meh. I like my method better. Done it a number of times as a kid, works great. Not sure what the risk managers would think of it these days.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than head trauma, this little nugget from the article may provide another plausible theory:

Williams said Turner then saw Anthony take something out his pocket and put it into his mouth. At that time, Turner got out of the car and yelled for Anthony to stop. When Anthony didn't stop, the officer used a stun gun on him, causing him to fall off of his bike.

"Look out, he's got a crumpet!"

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than head trauma, this little nugget from the article may provide another plausible theory:

Williams said Turner then saw Anthony take something out his pocket and put it into his mouth. At that time, Turner got out of the car and yelled for Anthony to stop. When Anthony didn't stop, the officer used a stun gun on him, causing him to fall off of his bike.

"Look out, he's got a crumpet!"

Guess that life saver candy didn't work.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I would think anyone in LE would second guess the use of a taser on the elderly. What happens if you zap a person with a pace maker?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Freeman said her brother was disabled, suffered from seizures and had trouble hearing

Not a sufficient excuse to disobey a lawful order.

What part of 'had trouble hearing'+  did you fail to comprehend?  

Pffft...doesn't matter.

A reasonable officer in the same situation would have done the same thing.

A reasonable officer would not assume that every man 61 years of age can't see lights or hear sirens or commands to stop.

~Norinco
When I was 25, I was in the Navy and rode my bicycle.
One night after I got off duty I was riding home toward the front gate. It was later at night, and a security vehicle came up behind me and apparently put on lights & siren.

With the wind roaring in my ears, I COULD NOT hear the siren... even with the guy right behind me. I finally noticed the flashing lights and turned around to see him. Changing my head position also lessened the wind noise in my ears and I did finally hear the siren. I was so surprised that I ran off the road and nearly crashed.

He gave me a HUGE ration of shit for ignoring him and not stopping for his lights & siren.  He completely refused to believe me when I told him I could not hear it.  

So... when you say that some old guy can't see lights or hear a siren when riding a bike, I know you're full of shit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:16:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I say stop-sticks, or shoot the tires.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Another frightened cop panics and another citizen dies.

There are few professions in this country whose members are so self absorbed as law enforcement.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I guess I would like to know why the officer was even following the man, was there evidence of a crime? After all falling off a bike may mean that you don't know how to ride one, or simply not coordinated. No crime in either and by the way putting something in your mouth is not a crime. So what was the lawful reason for this big police chase. Maybe there is a good reason but I don't see it in this story.

Our society has come to the point that if it is out of the ordinary people believe that the police should investigate. Police don't have the right to know what is going on just because something does not fit the norm. And they certainly don't have the right to use force to find out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:27:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm wondering the same. But let's assume he did not die.

Was the tazer justified? I can't see it.

I'm going to say No.  Only way it would have been justified is if he was wanted for a crime.....i.e.: Lets say he just robbed someone...then GTG.

how is it not? he was ordered to stop, he didnt. lights and siren were used ect. there is no way for the officer to know the man was hard of hearing or had mental problems. its a shitty situation for all involved.

What crime did he commit?  Since when is riding a fucking bicycle a crime?  Even drunk......and unless he, the cop, has esp......how would he know other than what was reported?

We get stupid calls like this all the time on our night shift:

Dispatch:  Report of a male walking down XYZ Ave.
Us:  mmmmmmmmm.......OK......what is he doing that is wrong?  Walking down the shoulder of a road is NOT ILLEGAL!

Not saying I agree, but in NC, Riding a bike while intoxicated is a DUI...

Edited for spelling, Good thing bad typing isn't illelgal, yet,,,

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I guess I would like to know why the officer was even following the man, was there evidence of a crime? After all falling off a bike may mean that you don't know how to ride one, or simply not coordinated. No crime in either and by the way putting something in your mouth is not a crime. So what was the lawful reason for this big police chase. Maybe there is a good reason but I don't see it in this story.

Our society has come to the point that if it is out of the ordinary people believe that the police should investigate. Police don't have the right to know what is going on just because something does not fit the norm. And they certainly don't have the right to use force to find out.

Revenue generation? Ticket for public intoxication?

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#20]
FWIW, we have a few "off" guys who ride bikes around town constantly. They have done it for decades. If some rookie tried to stop them, I don't know what they would do because they are just not all mentally there as far as IQ goes. None of them have ever been a problem and one worked for my Grandpa for 30+ years, incredibly strong and could probably still fold up the average cop with one hand even at the age he is now. I would expect the more road experienced officer would point out those that are a bit off and are a fixture in the community and tell the rookie a bit about their patterns and that they have never been an issue. It's part of what a cop should be all about, you need to take the time to learn about the one's that are a bit different but are not a threat to anyone else.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm wondering the same. But let's assume he did not die.

Was the tazer justified? I can't see it.

I'm going to say No.  Only way it would have been justified is if he was wanted for a crime.....i.e.: Lets say he just robbed someone...then GTG.

how is it not? he was ordered to stop, he didnt. lights and siren were used ect. there is no way for the officer to know the man was hard of hearing or had mental problems. its a shitty situation for all involved.

What crime did he commit?  Since when is riding a fucking bicycle a crime?  Even drunk......and unless he, the cop, has esp......how would he know other than what was reported?

We get stupid calls like this all the time on our night shift:

Dispatch:  Report of a male walking down XYZ Ave.
Us:  mmmmmmmmm.......OK......what is he doing that is wrong?  Walking down the shoulder of a road is NOT ILLEGAL!

Not saying I agree, but in NC, Riding a bike while intocicated is a DUI...

yeah......that is fucked up.....next thing it will be walking while intoxicated,  breathing while intoxicated,  pissing while intoxicated.

At least in libtard land (New York) it has to be at least "motorized"

FWIW....I did arrest a guy for DWI driving a riding lawnmower down the street once.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FWIW, we have a few "off" guys who ride bikes around town constantly. They have done it for decades.

Every town has at least one or two of those. For the most part they're harmless, but they scare the tourists and soccer moms.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

yeah......that is fucked up.....next thing it will be walking while intoxicated,  breathing while intoxicated,  pissing while intoxicated.

Oh, they have that already in some places. It's called "drunk in public." Not "drunk and disorderly," just in public. Oh, and "in public" means anywhere within eyeshot of the public, even if you're on your own lawn or porch. I wish I were joking about any of that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Read the article you did not.

Scotland Neck Police Chief Joe Williams said they received a call Monday night about a man who fell off of his bicycle and injured himself in the parking lot of the BB&T bank, 1001 Main St.The caller was concerned that the man was drunk.

Not officer intiated. Call for service and all calls for service are responded to, whether it was a good tase remains to be determined.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
FWIW, we have a few "off" guys who ride bikes around town constantly. They have done it for decades.

Every town has at least one or two of those. For the most part they're harmless, but they scare the tourists and soccer moms.

Yep +1.......although i did "Ban" one fron hanging out on a bridge here.  We would get about 20 calls a day on him for "welfare checks".  He is harmless he would just stand on the sidewalk on the bridge and wave at cars all day.  I finally told him to go back down by the parkbenches where he used to hang out so people would stop calling us.......he happily weeble wobbled down to the park. Now nobody calls on him.  Amazing....no OC spray....no taser....no Hickory Shampooing........just asked him.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#27]
We had to kill the suspect to prevent him from injuring himself ?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Couldn't the police officer of have shot out the front tire or deployed a spike strip or even a net?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Scotland Neck Police Chief Joe Williams said they received a call Monday night about a man who fell off of his bicycle and injured himself in the parking lot of the BB&T bank, 1001 Main St.The caller was concerned that the man was drunk.

Not officer intiated. Call for service and all calls for service are responded to, whether it was a good tase remains to be determined.

So.....they were conducting a wellbeing check on the guy and the fucking tased him. Wow.......great bang up job they did there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Couldn't the police officer of have shot out the front tire or deployed a spike strip or even a net?

Or used a tractor beam?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So.....they were conducting a wellbeing check on the guy and the fucking tased him. Wow.......great bang up job they did there.

Sounds like it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep +1.......although i did "Ban" one fron hanging out on a bridge here.  We would get about 20 calls a day on him for "welfare checks".  He is harmless he would just stand on the sidewalk on the bridge and wave at cars all day.  I finally told him to go back down by the parkbenches where he used to hang out so people would stop calling us.......he happily weeble wobbled down to the park. Now nobody calls on him.  Amazing....no OC spray....no taser....no Hickory Shampooing........just asked him.

We had one that would dance every second of every day to the music in his head, he was actually pretty good. "Rockin Rodney" was his nickname. Have not seen him for a few years now but he was a fixture on the "Ave" for a long time. Totally harmless and a nice guy if you actually spent 2 minutes talking to him.

The local cops would just wave to him and he would wave back.

He did carry a "ghetto blaster" around for a while but he never had it up high enough to be offensive to anyone.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:47:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Yeah, Taser's don't generally cause brain injury.  I suspect the victim's medical state may have precipitated the whole event....

That being said, Tasing somebody riding a bike doesn't seem like the best idea ever in this situation.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or used a tractor beam?

Might as well just radio in and have Scotty beam him into a holding cell at that point.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep +1.......although i did "Ban" one fron hanging out on a bridge here. We would get about 20 calls a day on him for "welfare checks". He is harmless he would just stand on the sidewalk on the bridge and wave at cars all day. I finally told him to go back down by the parkbenches where he used to hang out so people would stop calling us.......he happily weeble wobbled down to the park. Now nobody calls on him. Amazing....no OC spray....no taser....no Hickory Shampooing........just asked him.

We had one that would dance every second of every day to the music in his head, he was actually pretty good. "Rockin Rodney" was his nickname. Have not seen him for a few years now but he was a fixture on the "Ave" for a long time. Totally harmless and a nice guy if you actually spent 2 minutes talking to him.

The local cops would just wave to him and he would wave back.

He did carry a "ghetto blaster" around for a while but he never had it up high enough to be offensive to anyone.
I've got one that just walks. Like 18 hours a day.

Another one that used to think he was a Fire Fighter and walked around talking on a toy radio.

Never really had much of a problem with them except the FF guy. He had problems wandering away from his moms house.

But that doesn't mean that the disabled at times don't become unhinged.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, Taser's don't generally cause brain injury.  I suspect the victim's medical state may have precipitated the whole event....

That being said, Tasing somebody riding a bike doesn't seem like the best idea ever in this situation.

They do if you tase someone, they lose control of their muscles [you know, exactly what a taser was  designed to do] fall off the bike and strike their head. Would one tase a person at 20 MPH while driving a car even if there was a reason to stop them?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

But that doesn't mean that the disabled at times don't become unhinged.

That's why I say "for the most part" they're harmless. The worst one I've seen could best be described as lacking a social filter and sometimes lacking awareness of the concept of personal space. He'd make lewd comments about women (some of which were actually hilariously accurate) and piss people off.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#40]
It would have been a lot safer to just run over him with the police car.  Why don't people think?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So its ok to be killed by tazer if you are on drugs?

I cant imagine being on a bike and being tazed,  there is no way you can react to the fall your head is bound to hit hard.  At least with pepper spray you can still use your muscles and go down safer.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:03:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Cop screwed up. Surely LEO's are taught that there are deaf people. That some medical conditions mimic intoxication. That a 61 year old man riding his bike does not warrant use of force. A "slow pursuit"  could have been comical and no one gets hurt.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#43]
All things considered, I think tasing an old guy on a bike is a pretty stupid thing to do, cop or not.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cant imagine being on a bike and being tazed,  there is no way you can react to the fall your head is bound to hit hard.  At least with pepper spray you can still use your muscles and go down safer.  

Absent further information, I would tend to think that he shouldn't have been Tasered in this case in the first place. That seems to be the consensus amongst the LE members here as well.

As far as the drug issue goes, the cop doesn't have the benefit of making you piss in a cup and wait for the results before he has to make a decision about using force. If your demise is caused by your voluntary use of drugs and all of the sequelae that naturally flows from that (including heightened risk of cardiovascular events and the risks of your unlawful behavior while under the influence that lead to police intervention), then that's your problem.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#45]
I fail to see justification for using a taser in this instance and also find that the officers lack of thinking through his actions resulted in this mans death.  Helmet or no unless this guy was an active threat using a taser on a two-wheeled vehicle will not have a good outcome.

ETA: We have a deaf boy here in town that rides his bike around constantly.  He doesn't hurt anyone and doesn't really cause problems but I guarantee you he wouldn't know if there was a train behind him much less a car trying to get his attention.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I am kinda friends with a the town Hobo.  I see him all over whilehe is dumpster diving and will stop and give him water or money or used supplies.  He is nice enough and is a certified nutjob.  A lady I know will go pick him up on sundays and take him to our church.  I am real fond of the town Hobo

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
All things considered, I think tasing an old guy on a bike is a pretty stupid thing to do, cop or not.

If he didn't want to get tasered he shouldn't have been out in public, disrespecting authoritah and everything.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Or use a band of OWS protesters to block the sidewalk. OC of OWS would have prevented this.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absent further information, I would tend to think that he shouldn't have been Tasered in this case in the first place. That seems to be the consensus amongst the LE members here as well.

As far as the drug issue goes, the cop doesn't have the benefit of making you piss in a cup and wait for the results before he has to make a decision about using force. If your demise is caused by your voluntary use of drugs and all of the sequelae that naturally flows from that (including heightened risk of cardiovascular events and the risks of your unlawful behavior while under the influence that lead to police intervention), then that's your problem.

yeah I understand,  of course I would bet that most people that are being tazed are under the influence to begin with,  or deaf and crazy
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Yet ANOTHER story of using the taser as a "obey my orders" and a compliance tool instead of a Les than lethal tool.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top