Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:44:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember in the eighties a news anchor and her husband driving into a canal from a parking lot. Both died. I guess most people just freak out and are unable to get out. Not surprising at all.
View Quote

Yeah, a confined space that you can't escape filling with water in the dark is going to be about the most panic-inducing brain-fucking moment I can imagine beyond waking up buried in a coffin.  You are not opening the doors.  Unless you act fast to get the windows open you aren't getting out the windows until the car fills.  In panic mode your ability to hold your breath is compromised and of course lack of oxygen causes more panic.  Sad.  Probably avoidable but so are a LOT of accidents.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone needed to have a window punch on their keyring......
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:23:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ummm, hang up the phone and get the fuck out of the car?
View Quote

Individualistic problem solvers they were not. There was a government funded solution, it just could not respond fast enough to save them from their own stupid.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Children of the magenta line.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:27:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maybe the 911 operator told them they did not need to do that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They called 911 but didn't get out of the car!?!

Too soon ?      

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not many people carry glass breakers and, to be honest, how many people-er particularly women are going to boot out the windows  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
kick the window or windshield out or just use a glass breaker on the window.
Not many people carry glass breakers and, to be honest, how many people-er particularly women are going to boot out the windows  

They should install glass breakers on high heels.  Just pop off the lil rubber sole & boom, instant ass kicker/window breaker heel.

very sad & scary situation.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:47:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Y'all are laughing at the deaths of two women, an unborn child and a dog.

Kinda fucked up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Kinda fucked up.

View Quote

It's called gallows humor. It's a coping mechanism. It's pretty much done everyday here.

But there is a learning moment. What was their first inclination every time they FU'd up? What trained them to believe that there own personal responsibility for their safety was surrendered to an alternate solution? What conditioned them to beleive that continuous bad decisions could always be fixed by someone else?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Some boat ramps have pretty abrupt endings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it was a boat ramp, not a clif... GTFO and swim back....

Some boat ramps have pretty abrupt endings.

Indeed they do.

ETA:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can not open the doors until the extrnal water pressure equalizes.     If they had power windows, the battey was probably shorted out in salt water.

Myth busters busted that myth. The battery and power windows worked for 10-15 minutes after the MB car was submerged.

Didn't they do their test in fresh water? Salt water conducts electricity.

When I was a teenager I watched someone drop a car battery off of Hampton pier and into the Atlantic Ocean. The result was pretty definitive-the battery failed in a spectacular fashion-and the flash was pretty impressive.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#12]
pregnant women drowns and it's laughs and jokes but God forbid there's an abortion thread.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Not hard to imagine how it happened if you had seen the fog around here lately with the different weather fronts passing through . It was very dense here , especially thick when you get to a pond/lake and it's rolling right off the water.

Combine that with the mental exhaustion from being lost , they probably were just relieved to be in the familiar surroundings of their car , thankful to be out of the woods , covered in bug bites and stings and just wanted to get home or back to the motel and a hot shower  

Buzzing down an unfamiliar road , thick with fog , chatting amongst themselves and probably on the phone talking with concerned loved ones assuring them they were OK ...not really paying enough attention . . . and . . . S P L A S H

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I rost, but I feel bad about it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Darwin will not be denied.
View Quote

Nailed it.  

First they got lost while hiking and had to be rescued, then get in their car, drive on a pier, fall in the water and drown?  

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When I was a teenager I watched someone drop a car battery off of Hampton pier and into the Atlantic Ocean. The result was pretty definitive-the battery failed in a spectacular fashion-and the flash was pretty impressive.
View Quote

Yep, no battery is going to provide juice to the rest of the circuit when shorted with heavy saline water.  Ocean water may as well be a dead-short.   In pure distilled water without impurities water is damn near non-conductive.   Add ions and it becomes a fantastic conductor.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not hard to imagine how it happened if you had seen the fog around here lately with the different weather fronts passing through . It was very dense here , especially thick when you get to a pond and it's rolling right off the water.

Combine that with the mental exhaustion from being lost , they probably were just relieved to be in the familiar surroundings of their car , thankful to be out of the woods , covered in bug bites and stings and just wanted to get home or back to the motel and a hot shower  

Buzzing down an unfamiliar road , thick with fog , chatting amongst themselves and probably on the phone talking with concerned loved ones assuring them they were OK ...not really paying enough attention . . . and . . . S P L A S H

View Quote

I can understand that. That's why my earlier post.

Those that haven't been there cannot understand how fast and thick the fog can roll in when you are on the water up there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Ive sailed the area where they were hiking:roque island...here is a pic of our boat off bunker cove...which is off Roque.  Its not a very forgiving place to get lost.   You f around and itll cost you...esp with 12-13' tides

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#20]
These women were fucking stupid and destined to die from it.

1. Get lost in the woods
2. Get rescued and immediately drive into the ocean
3. Make calls on your cell phone while your vehicle sinks instead of trying to escape

I have zero sympathy.  It's just too bad they had to take the dog with them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You have to wait until the car is almost full of water and the pressure equalizes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can not open the doors until the extrnal water pressure equalizes.     If they had power windows, the battey was probably shorted out in salt water.

The amount of pressure on the door depends on how deeply it is submerged.

44.5 PSI, per square inch at 100 feet. (fresh water is 44.0 per 100ft)

there are at least 6 square feet on the average car door = 864 sq/in

Five feet down (44.5/100*5) = 2.25 Pounds per square inch

2.25 * 864 Sq/in = 1922.4 pounds of pressure keeping the door shut ...just five feet down.

You ain't opening that!

You have to wait until the car is almost full of water and the pressure equalizes.

Or find a method of breaking a window. In my daily driver, I would look for my gun, spring-loaded center punch, or Stanley Fatmax Fubar.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's called gallows humor. It's a coping mechanism. It's pretty much done everyday here.

But there is a learning moment. What was their first inclination every time they FU'd up? What trained them to believe that there own personal responsibility for their safety was surrendered to an alternate solution? What conditioned them to beleive that continuous bad decisions could always be fixed by someone else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda fucked up.

Since when do complete strangers require a coping mechanism when discussing someone else's death? I seriously doubt any of you that are "coping" with gallows humor are the delicate flowers you claim to be, in need of coping mechanisms. Mostly, those of you giggling about it simply sound like morons.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Tragic story

With that said, I shared this with some friends and they asked me a question that maybe someone here can answer. If you were exiting a submerged car would it be prudent to exhale on your ascent?

When the car entired the water it was at 1 atmosphere, correct? At 33ft down it's 2 atmospheres. As the water entires the car as it sinks the air inside would then be under compression? Everyone has seen this when they were kids with an empty upside down coke bottle in the pool and watched as the water inside went higher the deeper the bottle went. I'm not that familiar with Boyle's Law, but if you filled a balloon (your lungs) full of the compressed air in the bottle (the car) and surfaced the balloon would pop. Am I going in the right direction with my reasoning guys?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:53:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Thread title made my brain full of fuck.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thread title made my brain full of fuck.
View Quote

Agree
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
kick the window or windshield out or just use a glass breaker on the window.
View Quote

ever tried to "kick out a windshield"?  let alone being a woman, or a pregnant woman.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Or find a method of breaking a window. In my daily driver, I would look for my gun, spring-loaded center punch, or Stanley Fatmax Fubar.
View Quote

On my key chain (and a .32 acp in my pocket)

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:03:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow, they just couldn't keep from fucking up.

City folk..............
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#29]
poor dog. tragic.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I feel bad that they died, mostly for the unborn child and dog.

You kinda have to think about it this way... In the olden days, if you were stupid and incapable you died. Now we have so many people who are both of those, and we keep them alive and protect them from themselves. Until they drive into the water directly after being rescued from the woods.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Since when do complete strangers require a coping mechanism when discussing someone else's death? I seriously doubt any of you that are "coping" with gallows humor are the delicate flowers you claim to be, in need of coping mechanisms. Mostly, those of you giggling about it simply sound like morons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda fucked up.

Worked in a level 1 trauma center for 5 years as a part of the trauma team for a very busy hospital. You'd see stupid there every day. Humor is a coping mechanism. Didn't know any of them personally either precious. Doesn't mean you lack compassion. Just a way to not get too deeply involved in shit you had no responsibility for them getting themselves into in the first place. But can certainly make judgements where, why and when things went bad to learn from it. Sucks to be them. And they did it to themselves. So I'm unimpressed by your high falutin' morality and your bleeding heart whinings.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Darwin will not be denied.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Dumb asses. In my opinion one or both were trying to die. How else do you get 175 feet out from the end of a boat ramp?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dumb asses. In my opinion one or both were trying to die. How else do you get 175 feet out from the end of a boat ramp?
View Quote

A bit of buoyancy, speed, and current?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:13:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I would have thought that it would have taken less than 175 feet to realize that something was amiss.

View Quote

The car continues its foward momentum as it sinks.  It kind of half floats for a bit but the nose will go down like the video showed - if they hit it at road speeds, then 175 feet is probably about right.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:16:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tragic story

With that said, I shared this with some friends and they asked me a question that maybe someone here can answer. If you were exiting a submerged car would it be prudent to exhale on your ascent?

When the car entired the water it was at 1 atmosphere, correct? At 33ft down it's 2 atmospheres. As the water entires the car as it sinks the air inside would then be under compression? Everyone has seen this when they were kids with an empty upside down coke bottle in the pool and watched as the water inside went higher the deeper the bottle went. I'm not that familiar with Boyle's Law, but if you filled a balloon (your lungs) full of the compressed air in the bottle (the car) and surfaced the balloon would pop. Am I going in the right direction with my reasoning guys?

Thanks
View Quote

I would guess no.  I understand its important with breathing compressed air from a tank.  Not sure the car air is compressed enough to worry about popping a lung on the way up
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only type of water that does not conduct electricity is distilled water. Fresh water, like in a lake, a river, or even tap water, will conduct electricity. Only absolutely pure H20 will not.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Has there ever bee a documented case where those little window breakers actually worked in a car that's under water and saved the occupants?

I'm gonna be skeptical and think it's a scam without evidence to the contrary.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Has there ever bee a documented case where those little window breakers actually worked in a car that's under water and saved the occupants?

View Quote

I'm no a rocket surgeon, but and I would imagine they work better with that outside pressure.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:33:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

accidently driving into the ocean is one of the main reasons you carry a gun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

one of the main reasons I carry a gun... pop pop swim swim

accidently driving into the ocean is one of the main reasons you carry a gun?

Somebody on here always makes me...  and for that, I thank you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Worked in a level 1 trauma center for 5 years as a part of the trauma team for a very busy hospital. You'd see stupid there every day. Humor is a coping mechanism. Didn't know any of them personally either precious. Doesn't mean you lack compassion. Just a way to not get too deeply involved in shit you had no responsibility for them getting themselves into in the first place. But can certainly make judgements where, why and when things went bad to learn from it. Sucks to be them. And they did it to themselves. So I'm unimpressed by your high falutin' morality and your bleeding heart whinings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda fucked up.

And herein lies the rub. When you are there to personally see that stuff, and especially have to clean up the mess, then yeah, you might need a coping mechanism. Reading about it on an internet forum, and you require a coping mechansim? Sounds to me like you're the precious one. Or an internet badass. Either way, if you're giggling about it you still sound like a moron. Precious.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have seen videos of those working underwater.  Unless those were faked, I would say that they work.  The glass breaker I have is spring-powered, and certainly does the job above water.  I don't suspect that a tiny bit of water in front of the breaker will really affect it.

As for the two in the article, I noticed that they were organic farmers.  Organic farmers, in an old minivan, in Maine.  I can't say that I am surprised that they were so inept.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#43]
How fast do you have to be going to end up 175 feet out in the water??

Tragic situation though, really.  Going under water in a car is terrifying just to think about; while I know in my *head* what to do and have mentally rehearsed it many times, keeping cool and not panicking while the water is filling up is something else entirely.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And herein lies the rub. When you are there to personally see that stuff, and especially have to clean up the mess, then yeah, you might need a coping mechanism. Reading about it on an internet forum, and you require a coping mechansim? Sounds to me like you're the precious one. Or an internet badass. Either way, if you're giggling about it you still sound like a moron. Precious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda fucked up.

Your righteous indignation whining still means nothing. I doubt you've any basis for your feelings other than having feelings and feeling morally superior to everyone else. So what is the problem again? That you are deeply offended by the insensitivities of anonymous posters on the internet? The ones  who you feel don't feel enough pain and compassion for people who do stupid things that make the news? You are a bit delicate...

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The only type of water that does not conduct electricity is distilled water. Fresh water, like in a lake, a river, or even tap water, will conduct electricity. Only absolutely pure H20 will not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be a resistance somewhere between 0 and something like 180KOhms.   As shown pool water will not dead short the battery it might be as much as like 2K ohms or as low as 200 ohms.  A lot will depend on mineral content.  It may drain it rapidly but lots of other circuits, especially simple motors will have lower resistance than the water and may continue to function for a time.   In ocean water the resistance is like 0.2 ohms over a one meter gap.   You may as well attach a copper cable between the terminals.  No current is going anywhere else through anything else.  All electrical systems are dead as door-nails.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Being from S Florida, knowing what to do in the event a car goes into a canal was something that was drilled into my head from an early age.   If it's never crossed your mind and you panic I can see how you might just drown.   In high school a kid I knew drowned in a car that ran into a canal just outside of town.   My uncle has also had to jump in to save more than one person who ran a tractor or truck into a canal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Tragic story

Thanks
View Quote

That's only if breathing in air at depths (scuba) then ascending.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is Darwinism.

"Hello, 911?  Yes, I just drove my van into the ocean and we're sinking.  Send someone to get us out."

I don't know the whole story about their hiking incident but it appears these two are the product of modern day world.  Survival instincts do not exist for some.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is still sufficient time upon hitting the water, to roll down your windows.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Tragic.

I feel for the families.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top