Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe the 911 operator told them they did not need to do that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They called 911 but didn't get out of the car!?!

You are a bad person.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#2]

I would have thought that it would have taken less than 175 feet to realize that something was amiss.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I feel sorry for them but damn! They got lost, got rescued, drove into the ocean 175 feet then stayed in the car.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Carry a long 2x4 and a bottle jack in the car.   Sized so that the jack plus the 2x4 is just under the distance between passenger and driver's side doors.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Darwin will not be denied.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think I saw this movie.  Final Destination?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#7]
its a boat RAMP not a like a cliff or something. they had to be going pretty fast.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Some people have absolutely no survival instincts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You can not open the doors until the extrnal water pressure equalizes.     If they had power windows, the battey was probably shorted out in salt water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can not open the doors until the extrnal water pressure equalizes.     If they had power windows, the battey was probably shorted out in salt water.

Myth busters busted that myth. The battery and power windows worked for 10-15 minutes after the MB car was submerged.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I feel bad for them but it truly is amazing how stupid a human can be.

I mean, if you can't see that well, why go fast enough to fly down a boat ramp, far enough out into the water where you sink?

Hell, hitting a puddle of water a foot deep damn near stops you. I can't see how it's possible to accomplish what they did.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Holy shit, I don't know what to say

View Quote

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MT3CihStFQ
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think they did it three times.    Two I know of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty deep.    A car makes a shitty boat.   How much does an engine and transmission weigh?

1/3 of the door in the above example would be 640lbs.

640 pounds assuming you were working against all the pressure that is being applied to the entire surface of the door evenly.    The closer to the fulcrum point (the door hinge), the less it impedes your ability to open the door.

Mythbusters needs to try it again.  

I think they did it three times.    Two I know of.

They did a bunch of exit scenarios. Bottom line is you can't open the door if the water is any more than 1/3 of the way up.  Even after the interior completely filled with water they couldn't get it open for a full minute.

The only way to escape a car sinking is to get the windows down asap and let it go under and get out the window.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Last year we had a guy in Whittier get off the ferry and literally drive 100 yards and take a right turn and drive down the boat ramp into the harbor. He was following the directions from his GPS. He had to be rescued as he was also too dumb to exit the vehicle as it filled with water.  
View Quote

To be fair, Whittier is really nothing more than a 20 acre parking lot with 2 ramps, a train track and an old military barracks...I could see how the GPS got confused

And, to the original story
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#14]
This is why I carry an emergency escape tool in my vehicle: seatbelt cutter, glass breaker.

I do not want to go out like that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#15]
kick the window or windshield out or just use a glass breaker on the window.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Myth busters busted that myth. The battery and power windows worked for 10-15 minutes after the MB car was submerged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did it in fresh water.   Pure water does not conduct.   Salt water conducts very well.   A swimming pool is going to be In between.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Poor dog.
View Quote
this

sounds like the shallow end of the human gene pool got chlorinated

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow.
How fast were they going to go that far off from the ramp and in bad visibility?
This reminds me that I need to get some glass breakers and stick in my vehicles or get one that goes on a keychain
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#19]

I was in ND when the softball girls drove into the ditch/dugout an drowned. I bought a few of these and keep one on the keychain.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://www.jazebra.com/images/product-shots/lifehammer/resqme-01-800x600.jpg

I was in ND when the softball girls drove into the ditch/dugout an drowned. I bought a few of these and keep one on the keychain.
View Quote

That's the one I plan on getting either the yellow or orange one. Probably give my parents one and my brother
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:22:58 AM EDT
[#21]
New thread, but I'll say it again, that is the most unnecessarily depressing story I have read in a long
time.  This is what happens when helpless people venture out into the
world.  How do two adults and a dog get lost on an afternoon hike after
obviously not checking the weather?  How do two adults manage to then
get lost leaving the area they've just driven to that they live near?  
How do two adults drive fast enough in poor visibility to not realize or
have time to react to driving into the water?  How do two adults waste
time calling for help in a fucking sinking car and then manage not to
get themselves out?  I just want to throw up at the outstanding lack of
common sense and personal responsibility and how much they made their
families suffer for it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Poor dog.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:36:37 AM EDT
[#23]
If you are in this situation don't call 911, open the doors if you can  or put the windows down and get out.
If you can't put the windows down break them out with any means available.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:59:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Wiki says 400 North Americans die from being submerged in  vehicles every year.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:14:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

New thread, but I'll say it again, that is the most unnecessarily depressing story I have read in a long time.  This is what happens when helpless people venture out into the world.  How do two adults and a dog get lost on an afternoon hike after obviously not checking the weather?  How do two adults manage to then get lost leaving the area they've just driven to that they live near?  How do two adults drive fast enough in poor visibility to not realize or have time to react to driving into the water?  How do two adults waste time calling for help in a fucking sinking car and then manage not to get themselves out?  I just want to throw up at the outstanding lack of common sense and personal responsibility and how much they made their families suffer for it.
View Quote
I've seen a woman kick out a passenger door window so I know it can be done. However this is what the result is of telling people to depend on emergency services, call 911, that will fix everything.

Lots of Derp on how they got lost and were driving fast enough to get that far from shore. What is the planing speed of a Subaru?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:18:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Reposting from this thread's dupe........

Quoted:
Well, DAMN!

But, it does happen, one way or the other, from time to time. Ie, Jessica Savitch, softball in North Dakota, Port Isabel causeway (in a moment on that one).

A car or a space flooding is probably one of the most terrifying, unknown things to most people, especially in knowing what to do, getting out.....ESPECIALLY with the dependence most have on technology these days. Probably didn't help with how the dog was reacting.

The causeway at Port Isabel would be even worse because an elevated road way just suddenly disappeared and one drove off into blackness. It is similar to this in that all the electronics that we depend on would be gone upon hitting the water. In the boat ramp case, it's because of the flooding; with the causeway, because the impact destroyed them.

The causeway had an additional factor though; the impact triggered the airbags (I attended a DPS briefing on that disaster).

Other factors to complicate the issue. One can't open doors against external water pressure (until the inside equalizes). It probably could be pitch black (their cell phone might have been the only light).

Finally, remember that people in that situation are in a PANIC and probably can't think of one or two thoughts. Ie, on a side point, I was told that some firing a pistol in defense won't be able to think about doing more than one or two actions, so if you are using a 1911, have it cocked and on safety or not cocked, but not uncocked and on safety because in that moment of panic, one can't think about doing two things to arm it.

Tragic.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:28:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

look it was just a matter of time for these two...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:33:54 AM EDT
[#28]
This happened quite near my AO. Although I wasn't acquainted with the ladies I did work for some time at the farm where they were employed.
Knowing the area and how dense the fog can get here in eastern Maine I can see how this happened.
That particular road ends at a boat ramp. A rather steep boat ramp.
Covered with mud & slime and in wet conditions its VERY slick.
There's been many occasions where someone had to be towed up the ramp for lack of traction.
I'm guessing that by the time they realized they were in trouble, it was too late & they slid / skidded into the water.
Depending on the tidal flow at that time the car could have been carried quite some distance.
Sad
Here's an aerial view of where it happened.
Link
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:35:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must always obey the authority of the 911 operator
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:37:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I feel bad that the dog had stupid owners.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:50:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, DAMN!

But, it does happen, one way or the other, from time to time. Ie, Jessica Savitch, softball in North Dakota, Port Isabel causeway (in a moment on that one).

A car or a space flooding is probably one of the most terrifying, unknown things to most people, especially in knowing what to do, getting out.....ESPECIALLY with the dependence most have on technology these days. Probably didn't help with how the dog was reacting.

The causeway at Port Isabel would be even worse because an elevated road way just suddenly disappeared and one drove off into blackness. It is similar to this in that all the electronics that we depend on would be gone upon hitting the water. In the boat ramp case, it's because of the flooding; with the causeway, because the impact destroyed them.

The causeway had an additional factor though; the impact triggered the airbags (I attended a DPS briefing on that disaster).

Other factors to complicate the issue. One can't open doors against external water pressure (until the inside equalizes). It probably could be pitch black (their cell phone might have been the only light).

Finally, remember that people in that situation are in a PANIC and probably can't think of one or two thoughts. Ie, on a side point, I was told that some firing a pistol in defense won't be able to think about doing more than one or two actions, so if you are using a 1911, have it cocked and on safety or not cocked, but not uncocked and on safety because in that moment of panic, one can't think about doing two things to arm it.

Tragic.

I only have 4 1911's and am pretty sure that none of mine will engage the safety if the hammer is down, but I understand your point totally.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:53:39 AM EDT
[#32]

I guess that's what happens when you use Ted Kennedy's old GPS.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:54:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

This happened quite near my AO. Although I wasn't acquainted with the ladies I did work for some time at the farm where they were employed.

Knowing the area and how dense the fog can get here in eastern Maine I can see how this happened.

There's been many occasions where someone had to be towed up the ramp for lack of traction.

I'm guessing that by the time they realized they were in trouble, it was too late & they slid / skidded into the water.

Depending on the tidal flow at that time the car could have been carried quite some distance.

Sad

Link
View Quote
Where were they originally "rescued"? That road looks like they would probably feel safe doing 45 or so.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:56:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:I guess that's what happens when you use Ted Kennedy's old GPS.
View Quote

A bottle of scotch?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:00:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Sad about the dog.

Between the first rescue and the final body/vehicle recovery I wonder how much their stupid actions cost the state?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:18:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Facebook Status: We got lost hiking and had to be rescued tonight. Whew! Silly us!

Status update: We just drove off the boat ramp and are quickly submerging. Does anyone know how we should proceed? And can you please accept our Farmtown requests?

Status update: Under water now. Phone's going to die. Won't be able to update for a while. BRB...

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:19:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Where were they originally "rescued"? That road looks like they would probably feel safe doing 45 or so.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sad
Link

That area is part of Roque Bluffs State Park. There are many hiking trails and scenic areas. In fact I own a Geocache within a quarter mile of the boat ramp. Link to Geocache

The road is paved but rather narrow & has several sharp corners. At night, in the fog and unfamiliar with it... I'd crawl at 10-15 MPH at best.

Here's another link to the story with a few photos.
Bangor Daily News Article
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:22:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

one of the main reasons I carry a gun... pop pop swim swim
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

one of the main reasons I carry a gun... pop pop swim swim

A window hammer or center punch works, too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:36:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:38:44 AM EDT
[#40]
They were driving a 2001 Dodge Caravan. I wonder how water pressure affects the opening of those sliding doors...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:44:55 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

They were driving a 2001 Dodge Caravan. I wonder how water pressure affects the opening of those sliding doors...
View Quote
dogs don't have thumbs dude....

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:46:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Darwin had a hard-on for those two.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:58:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't quite work like that, but I won't bore you with facts and science.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:01:39 AM EDT
[#44]
I remember in the eighties a news anchor and her husband driving into a canal from a parking lot. Both died. I guess most people just freak out and are unable to get out. Not surprising at all.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:03:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I remember in the eighties a news anchor and her husband driving into a canal from a parking lot. Both died. I guess most people just freak out and are unable to get out. Not surprising at all.
View Quote

That was Jessica Savitch. I mentioned her in my post.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:19:05 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

for sure.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:24:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I feel bad that the dog had stupid owners.
View Quote

yeah i only feel bad for the dog

I'm no sea captain but i dont think cars sink like a rock should they have been using the time they were calling 911 to GTFO of the car
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:27:49 AM EDT
[#48]

Move to the back seat if possible in that situation?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

44.5 PSI, per square inch at 100 feet. (fresh water is 44.0 per 100ft)

there are at least 6 square feet on the average car door = 864 sq/in

Five feet down (44.5/100*5) = 2.25 Pounds per square inch

2.25 * 864 Sq/in = 1922.4 pounds of pressure keeping the door shut ...just five feet down.

You ain't opening that!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The amount of pressure on the door depends on how deeply it is submerged.

44.5 PSI, per square inch at 100 feet. (fresh water is 44.0 per 100ft)

there are at least 6 square feet on the average car door = 864 sq/in

Five feet down (44.5/100*5) = 2.25 Pounds per square inch

2.25 * 864 Sq/in = 1922.4 pounds of pressure keeping the door shut ...just five feet down.

You ain't opening that!

Unless you are He-Man you aren't opening that the moment the doors are partly submerged.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:38:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top