Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Love the M240.  You can actually hit shit with that gun.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK so how about this:

If the 249s are really getting replaced with that weird HK rifle/mg what if there was an AR-10 mg version, which one then?
View Quote

By an AR10 mg version, I presume that you mean a belt fed weapon? Because the NFA's definition of a machine gun does not a true machine gun make... There actually was a belt fed version of the first Armilite AR10s. You can see an example in the vintage Armalite promotion video that was floating around a few years ago. I generally think that attempting to convert magazine fed weapons to belt fed is a poor choice of starting points. In general, belt fed weapons are designed with more bolt over travel, heavier operating systems and more reciprocating energy for lack of a better term. Reliably stripping ammunition out of belts is not easy. You want robust components designed from the ground up.

As for the infantry automatic rifle, I feel that it's a step backwards. There is a reason that we got away from magizine fed weapons like BAR / Bren gun.  Magazine feed is not particularly conducive to sustain suppressing fire.  A similar result could have been achieved by issuing full auto fire control groups and bypods.  Although there is probably some advantage to keeping heat out of the bolt carrier group with a piston.

Which one games? Depends on the use case, depends on if I have friends, depends on what my friends are bringing
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Hmm if you had the choice, and you were in harms way, and it was just you vs. other guys with guns, which would you choose?  Would you choose the 249 for its mobility and increased ammo, or the 240 for its destructiveness and range?
View Quote

M4/M16
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have you seen this thread, OP?

The Lost Art of Machinegunnery

One of the more informative threads here.

View Quote

Required reading, cover to cover. There will be a section quiz next week and this topic will be on the final.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the best.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Love the M240.  You can actually hit shit with that gun.

View Quote

It's a frickin' laser beam!

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hmm if you had the choice, and you were in harms way, and it was just you vs. other guys with guns, which would you choose?  Would you choose the 249 for its mobility and increased ammo, or the 240 for its destructiveness and range?
View Quote

They are not weapons to be thought of using in an individual role like in some video game.

The way to look at them is to understand the structure of the organization or team that incorporates them into their mission.

The M240 is employed as a crew-served weapon system manned by 3 guys on what we called a gun team, consisting of:

* Machine Gunner
* Assistant Machine Gunner
* Ammo bearer

I personally don't like that set-up, but that was Army doctrine and what we did across many units I was in.

The M249 Squad Automatic Weapon is something that every Rifle Squad has 2 of, one per Fire Team.

It allows the Squad to have a weapon that can sustain more volume of fire during attacks and withdrawals, chance contact, battle drills, and can augment the fire of a local support element during the breach of a mined wire obstacle or compound, as well as provide good vehicle coverage in blocking positions covering avenues of approach to an objective.

There is no, "Which would you choose?"
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#9]
My experience with the M60, M249 and M240 indicates that the M240 is easier to keep running and generally less maintenance heavy than the other two. I'll take the M240 if given the option.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How much ammo can a solider carry for a SAW or a 240?
View Quote

A stud can carry 800rds individually for the SAW, maybe more.

I did it with a vest I made myself where I had a good mix of nutsacks and drums, so that I had 1 100rd nutsack in the gun, and as many 100rd nutsacks on my vest and belt kit as possible.

When the nutsack got fielded, there were only 4 issued per SAW, so unless you could acquire more, you were limited those and the 200rd plastic drums that get issued in the cans.

I could carry 700-900rds on my vest and belt, with however many more needed in the assault pack.

We would also cross-load SAW drums among the Squad, so they could plus you up if things got bad, or your mission got extended with a FRAGO or Mr. Murphy showed up and left you hanging in the breeze with no resupply.

I also preferred to carry at least 3 M4 mags additionally so that if the SAW went down or was separated from me, I could fight with an M4.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#12]

That's a thing of beauty, but we're talking about guns.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I see guns there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I see guns there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see guns there.

I see two Mk.IV milk missiles.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#15]
The 249 is a squad weapon(2 per squad).  It can be operated by one person who can also carry all the ammo for it.  It can be fire from the standing and kneeling position.  That being said by now they are a gigantic turds that hardly ever get off a belt without malfunctioning(an i'm not talking rack the bolt and keep shooting i'm talking take it all apart get the multi tool out and spend minutes unfucking it).  

The 240 is a platoon weapon(2-3 per platoon) that is a crew served weapon, one guy carries the gun, one guy carries the tripod, one guy carries the ammo(well they all carry ammo).  Its a lot heavier ammo to carry a lot of, its hard to shoot it from the standing/kneeling(especially accurately).  That being said the 240 is a magnificent weapon that is great at what it does and can shoot 1000+ rounds without a malfunction.  

So as others have said, they both have their job and have their pros and cons.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Enough serious answers already, M249 SAW belt dump at 4:30

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd just be happy if kids could read a -10 and fill out a '5988E without ordering 11 BBL's (And 5 spare BBL bags) for

a '240 because they don't understand the UOC's
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#18]
The SAW and the 240 each fill a roll in a squad.  If you use one in the other's role it will get fucked up.  If you want to be light and manuverable and you are willing to give up the heavy hitting power of the pig the SAW can fill a couple of roles.  If you have to hold a hill or street corner, nothing makes the enemy piss their pants like a 240 chewing through a wall.  It will fuck an asshole and the asshole down the street.  But I aint humping that bitch.

LRRP, those 100 ball sacks were more valuable than gold in 03 when I went to Iraq.  We only got the one cloth sack and then we ended up with the 200 plastic drums.  Even when reloading I never dropped my cloth sack.

I only carried 600 rounds for the SAW and I had a 100 box of the 7.62 for the 240 gunner.  The rest went in the track.  Fuck humping that shit.

OP, its not a dumb question to ask which we prefer, but as for roles, they each fill a niche and dont do well when trying to do the other's job.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8sa8QFNEGI
View Quote

Yay! Mother fucking Murica!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Out of all of them I still love my PKM the best.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd just be happy if kids could read a -10 and fill out a '5988E without ordering 11 BBL's (And 5 spare BBL bags) for
View Quote

"Oh, just use one of those standard S-1798s and write in "pizza" where it says 'machine gun.'"
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Plus the SAW in the para config, makes a dandy building clearing weapon.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Although there is some overlap, in the sense that both are belt fed bullet hoses, they are really fundamentally different weapons. The tactical doctrine that inspired them was very different. The SAW / M249 was designed to be a lightweight infantry mobile weapon. The MAG 58 / M240 was designed to be a reliable general purpose machine gun. GPMGs often get used from vehicle or aircraft mounts. Reliability and durability are paramount. SAWs are supposed to enable a lot of highly moble suppressing fire.

Plus the SAW in the para config, makes a dandy building clearing weapon.....

Holy fuck. Just the thought of that gives me a major freedom boner.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8sa8QFNEGI
View Quote

lulz

"Five round bursts!"

"Roger, sar'nt!"
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSYgb0XQd_8

"Oh, just use one of those standard S-1798s and write in "pizza" where it says 'machine gun.'"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSYgb0XQd_8

LOL!

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's my thought too, the way his sentence read sounded like he meant on the gunner alone. Might just have been me though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, it's now METT-TTC...gotta think about the tranny's now too.

Having been a 240B asst. gunner in a wheeled Nat'l Guard unit, give me a SAW in MOST circumstances. Our combat load for a 240B was 1600 rds of 7.62. That's A LOT of weight to hump on your back in addition to the machine gun, the tripod (if required) etc...

Isn't that like 110lbs of ammo alone? No way one man is carrying that and the 240, in addition to ruck and armor.

Had to be spread around the squad, that's how everyone did it I thought.

That's my thought too, the way his sentence read sounded like he meant on the gunner alone. Might just have been me though.

There is NO way one guy is carrying all that. A couple belts on the gunner at most. Definitely a team effort required.

Now if you're in trucks it's a bit easier and your squad can help you lug it all back from the motor pool in cans or a crate...because they ALL know how valuable that weapon is if and when it's needed.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top