Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Last week I sold a '95 Mustang GT to my sisters "recovering" meth-head, alcoholic boyfriend. He was on top of everything... contacting me about buying it, scheduling a payment plan w/ me, insuring it, registering it, etc. I whipped up a short to the point contract, signed the title and released all responsibility to him, in good faith he'd be paying the balance owed of $3500.00.

!

I had a half dozen witty replies, but none of them do justice to your stupidity / naiveness.

Experience is an expensive teacher.  Hope you learned $3500 worth.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How could you be that naive?

Meth head? Alcoholic? Relative? Payment plan?

Dude, seriously.

no shit... for someone who loves to regularly try to lecture the fuck out of everyone else here, you sure got your head up your ass securely.

When do I lecture? I post my opinions... something I'm sure you do as well. Half the time when I post something, I end up asking a question in a round about way... I am somewhat young and have quite a bit to still learn about life. I don't think humans would have gone anywhere beyond hitting stuff w/ rocks, if they just taken one or two persons words.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Last week I sold a '95 Mustang GT to my sisters "recovering" meth-head, alcoholic boyfriend. He was on top of everything... contacting me about buying it, scheduling a payment plan w/ me, insuring it, registering it, etc. I whipped up a short to the point contract, signed the title and released all responsibility to him, in good faith he'd be paying the balance owed of $3500.00.

Everything was going smooth until I get a call today from my mom. She calls and says "you know that money Sean owes you?", "uhh huhh...", "Don't be expecting it", "excuse me?", "he just plowed it into the back of someones Tahoe and it's totaled; he's going to jail on a DUI... he blew a .097".... THIS IS FUCKED!

I'm really glad this didn't happen in my younger years and I've had some martial arts training... otherwise I'd be going apeshit right now. It is amazing what age can do for a person: one of the first things I asked "was are the other people alright?" $3500.00 dollars sucks to be out, but knowing that a family was alright because of being crashed into by some piece of shit, seemed a bit more important all of a sudden... I don't know that even a year ago, I'd have been able to say I'd have done the same.

So what does ARFCOM think I should do to get my money? Thanks guys and gals... please drive safe and sober!

Why don't you ask some single mothers?  Bet they would say you were Super Stupid.  
Does your sister have any kids with this champion??

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Last week I sold a '95 Mustang GT to my sisters "recovering" meth-head, alcoholic boyfriend.

Mistake #1

Lesson learned:  Do not associate w/ drug abusers ( whether current or 'recovered' ) and definitely DO NOT  enter into any financial transactions w/ them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
you=stupid.

ETA: call your sister and yell

Maybe he is and maybe he isn't?

Did the OP retain a lean on the vehicle?
Did the OP require the methhead BIL to carry full coverage with the OP as the loss payee?

If the answer to these 2 basic amendments to the purchase contract were not included then you are right the OP is a dumb ass
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Watch out, he can spell KARATE!!!!!!!!!Dude what were you thinking?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#8]
You have your head up your back side.  What in the woeld do you think once a meth head always a meth head.  

As long as you are making these great disitions what type of firearm are you going to give me??  Maybe you should give the boyfriend a gun and he can rob some little old lady?

In your younger years you had some martial arts training wow that sounds cool dude?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't ever let the bastard forget that he owes you $3500; haunt him for your money until the day he dies.

Never let him or your sister get the impression that you've written off the debt.

If your car was the only collateral; you're screwed, but chase him for what he owes you until the end of time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#10]
So where's the $3500 he gave you when he took possession?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
you=stupid.

I'm well aware I probably shouldn't have let him make payments. Thank you for your contributions...<CoC>

Let this be a valuable lesson for you Chris.  EFB was right though...  you made a dumb decision and now you're going to live with the consequences.  But be thankful it wasn't a $10K car or a $150K home.  

Your mom probably taught you better, but if she didn't:  The procedure for selling a car is you give me a check (or real USC) and I sign over the title.  If they buyer doesn't have the money, then they get a loan.  If they can't get a loan, they probably have no business buying said item.  And you sure as hell don't need the risk and the headaches associated with it.

There's a reason buy here, pay here car lots charge 30-40% interest on the loans and repo ASAP.

John
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Massive fail.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Forget that he's a "recovering meth-head alcoholic", why would you loan money to anybody? You know that you're not going to have any good way to enforce the loan if anything comes up, and you'll probably piss a lot of people off trying. I wouldn't loan my best friend money. I might give someone money in an appropriate situation, but I wouldn't expect it back. Let the banks handle loans; they'll have everything set up as best they can to get paid back, and when they try to enforce it, the loanee can get mad at the bank, not you.

As for where you are now, you can try some legal action, you may have some success depending on whether you set things up right and the law in your state etc (I ain't a lawyer, talk to one), but I'd bet that you're just throwing more money into the pit. If he has collision insurance and you're on the title as a lienholder, you might be able to get some money back, but Mr. meth-head alcoholic probably has the legal minimum insurance with no collision coverage unless he was forced to get full coverage. You could try and sue based on breach of your contract, but regardless of whether it will hold up in court, there's probably no money to be had from this guy, and you'll just be paying your lawyer even more money to try and get blood from a stone.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#15]
If he doesn't stick to the payment plan, as he agreed to, get a judgement against the SOB. In most places, those are good for a long time and can sometimes even be renewed. You may be able to attach his wages or assets, etc... if he ever gets a job.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Good judgment comes from experience.

Experience comes from bad judgment.

You just had an experience.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#17]
i think the only thing you can do is to take him to small claims court.  however, it may have a limit as to how much you can try to get.

also, with him being in jail it maybe hard to get the $$$.

as someone posted.  you have just learned a hard lesson.  im not sure why you would be doing any business with a druggie.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I generally, do not loan anything to anyone, but my mom and sister kind of talked me into this one.

If nothing else, you can lord this over them for the rest of their lives.  They can never offer you "advice" again.  This, alone, might be worth $3500
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
you=stupid.

+1

If banks won't loan him the money, why did you think it was a good idea to owner finance ???????????

BTW: Never loan money to family. You should have learned this by age 5 !!! If you feel you need to GIFT them some money go right ahead. Loan NEVER.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I generally, do not loan anything to anyone, but my mom and sister kind of talked me into this one.

If nothing else, you can lord this over them for the rest of their lives.  They can never offer you "advice" again.  This, alone, might be worth $3500

True that. In fact, I think their advocacy for this dude may have placed them in the role of co-signers for the auto loan from FSUChris Bank & Trust. Raise that theory whenever you feel the need to make them shut up for a while.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#21]
If a bank wont loan my relatives money, why should I? I dont get suckered with sob stories and implied guilt.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Life lesson, they hurt for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Never give property to someone with a promise to get paid.
You get fucked every time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I think he's an FSU grad (the OP)...he's dealing with this whole "life" thing as best he can.

Wow... is that the Gator Nation piling on?

Ease up...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Everything was going smooth until I get a call today from my mom. She calls and says "you know that money Sean owes you?", "uhh huhh...", "Don't be expecting it", "excuse me?", "he just plowed it into the back of someones Tahoe and it's totaled; he's going to jail on a DUI... he blew a .097".... THIS IS FUCKED!

I'm really glad this didn't happen in my younger years and I've had some martial arts training... otherwise I'd be going apeshit right now. It is amazing what age can do for a person: one of the first things I asked "was are the other people alright?" $3500.00 dollars sucks to be out, but knowing that a family was alright because of being crashed into by some piece of shit, seemed a bit more important all of a sudden... I don't know that even a year ago, I'd have been able to say I'd have done the same.

So what does ARFCOM think I should do to get my money? Thanks guys and gals... please drive safe and sober!

COD or no deal. You really didn't need that money ? Did you?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
you=stupid.

FTW
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#27]
chris

consider it a life lesson and walk away.

regards evan
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Sue him for it and maybe if he ever gets a real job they will garnish his wages.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, seriously.

I have no clue. My judgement these days is apparently screwed. Thanks.

You think?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, seriously.

I have no clue. My judgement these days is apparently screwed. Thanks.

Well you weren't totally fucked up.  You did get the payment plan in writing and a contract.  that's more than most people dumb enough to deal with a loser like that would do.

Your big mistake may have been coming here for advice. Or are you really a masochist who loves to have people kick you while you are down and deserving?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You have your head up your back side.  What in the woeld do you think once a meth head always a meth head.  

As long as you are making these great disitions what type of firearm are you going to give me??  Maybe you should give the boyfriend a gun and he can rob some little old lady?

In your younger years you had some martial arts training wow that sounds cool dude?

FSUCHRIS deserves at least one compliment out of this train wreck.  At least he spells better than the quoted poster.

I bet that makes him fell better.   well, probably not, but I wanted to try.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#32]
A lot depends on the contract you signed with him.  If the loan is unsecured, you'll have to take him to court and get a judgment in your favor.  If the car was held as collateral and you have a lien on the title, then you can try to collect from the insurance company.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife laughed and said "Here's your sign."

We have spent more than that on her family though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#34]
let it go and move on.

i have loaned many so called mate lots of money over the years and never got any back you live and learn .

and yes it seems lest important as you get older

if you can swallow , do so and move on , dont let it fuck your day  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If you have a contract, contact his insurance company.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#36]
It is not too smart to sell a car, or anything for that matter, and not requiring it to be paid in full before you let the buyer take possession. Probably about as smart as glorifying Charles Manson by honoring him with your avatar.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Dude, seriously.

The ingredients for stupid.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

+1

Stupidity met stupidity and stupidity ensued.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have a contract, contact his insurance company.

Odds are Mr. Tweeker was only carrying the minimum liabiltiy coverage necessary to register the vehicle and the car wasn't covered for collision.

I do wonder why "mom" put herself in the position of advcocating for her daughter's bum  of a boyfriend against her own son though: "you know the money Sean owes you? Don't be expecting it."

I'd have told her right out; "I'm damn well expecting it"; I'd never let the matter drop and I'd be pretty damned pissed at "mom" for telling me otherwise and speaking on the useless bastard's behalf.

I'm not going to bash the OP; he sounds like the kind of guy who would have made good on the loan if circumstances were reversed, and good people might believe that others would act as they would.

Now he knows otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted: "scheduling a payment plan w/ me,"

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

FSUCHRIS deserves at least one compliment out of this train wreck.  At least he spells better than the quoted poster.

The guy who can't spell still has his $3500
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#42]
A recovering alcoholic meth head is going to repay 3500 dollars..hahahahahahha

That is a fucking great one....hahahahahaha

I cant stop laughing....hahahahahahha

You really thought he was going to pay you the money....hahahahahahha

This is to rich...sorry, I just cant stop laughing.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahaoohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohooohehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#43]
You FAILED, you won't get jack and you should have known better then to GIVE the car to alki-meth boy without ALL cash passing hands.

You just learned a $3500.00 lesson on life. Get your monies worth out of it.

Hopefully he registered and titled it properly and YOU don't get your ass sued by the other driver, I'd make SURE I had NO culpability if I were you.

Not bashing you, you have been "punished" already by the loss of the car and [I guarantee] the rest of the $$$. Never believe ANYTHING a tweaker [or ex tweaker] has to say when it comes to $$$. File a lein against the insurer for the cars loss or the car itself as collateral if you can part it out for some additional $$$. Tweak boy won't have any spare $$ for quite a while.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#44]
No piling on.  I hope this isn't haunting you for a long time.  If there's a lawsuit, it just follows the money trail which could lead to your insurance if he didn't take care of business regarding registration and titling.  good luck.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#45]

+1

Quoted:
Sounds like you just got a life lesson. Be glad it only cost $3500.

After reading a couple of pages I'm sure the OP feels pretty much like shit right now but if no one got hurt then Adirondack47 hits the nail on the head
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Sue him for it and maybe if he ever gets a real job they will garnish his wages.

this is the best idea given so far,at least you can get some satisfaction from the experience
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#47]
If he gets sober again, you'll be at the top of his 9th step. May take a while but he will either pay up or die.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#48]
You = fuxxored.

Chalk it up as a life lesson and don't do that again.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#49]
that is why you never trust people that are on or were on drugs!!!

Sorry to say but I hope that is the stupidist thing you have ever done in your life or you need to be slapped!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#50]
For 3500 bucks you ALMOST got the meth head out of your sister's life.

Is she going to wait for him or dip her net in the pool again?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top