Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As some of you know NYC PD is about the lowest paid you can get with respect to the cost of living. Some of the officers who lost their lives, with less than five years of service, were making about 30k a year. After uncle sam, dues, city tax, city waiver, insurance, etc you are lucky to bring home $600 every two weeks. This maybe a decent wage if a house cost 70-90k however most homes are selling for well over 300k in nyc and in the suburbs.  Taxes alone on Long Island are 5k +. We are truly the worlds largest volunteer police department.  
View Quote

your choking me,,300k ? volunteer? BS ,,sure taxes are high outside of the city on long island,,but you can get homes for a whole lot less than 300 k,,,also starting pay sucks and it does take 5 years to reach top pay,,not the 3 years when I went on "The Job" ,,ok so the surrounding counties make way to much money,,compared to the city,,but you are exaggerating. jion the reserves if you want a free education and beside the city will give you full pay while you do your monthly weekends and 2 week stint,,also look at it this way by the time you retire after 20 years you will have had to have done only 18 years and,,when you subtract reserve time,,correct me if I'm wrong,,I lived it...
View Quote

Oh ya, your right, you can find a house on Long Island for under 300k, but not a whole lot cheaper and it's called a shoebox, size 10 if your lucky!

The wife and I have been looking for a house for two years. We did come close to getting one a few times. One house in a "alright neighborhood" 30X60, two bedrooms, one bath, no garage, for $265000.00, a really small house. We were outbid at $265000.00.

Another house 30X60, ONE BEDROOM, one bath, no garage, for $239000.00, also outbid. But we were glad to be outbid because when we have a baby, a one bedroom would be ridiculas, we need at least a two bedroom.

YES, a house can be had on Long Island for under 300k, in a very undesirable neighborhood, which I refuse to put my wife in. My wife doesn't need to be mugged on her way home or worse for a $185000.00 house.

View Quote

your out of your mind plenty of homes on LI plenty less and not shoe boxes,,and you don't don't have to go out to the tip of Suffolk,,,and in damm good neigborhoods! You know it is not any harder than it ever was,,how many jobs are you willing to work for a house? My dad was on the job and worked 2 jobs and drove a cab to keep his home,,it just seems that recently everyone wants everything by only working a minimum amount,,really,,
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
your choking me,,300k ? volunteer? BS ,,sure taxes are high outside of the city on long island,,but you can get homes for a whole lot less than 300 k,,,also starting pay sucks and it does take 5 years to reach top pay,,not the 3 years when I went on "The Job" ,,ok so the surrounding counties make way to much money,,compared to the city,,but you are exaggerating. jion the reserves if you want a free education and beside the city will give you full pay while you do your monthly weekends and 2 week stint,,also look at it this way by the time you retire after 20 years you will have had to have done only 18 years and,,when you subtract reserve time,,correct me if I'm wrong,,I lived it...
View Quote

Oh boy, here we go, a true believer in the job....must be one of the 'blessed' ones..... Tell me Iron Mike, is your daddy an inspector or a chief?  

And in case anyone wants to know why FDNY should still be at the scene, today they found an elevator, peeled the roof off, and recovered 10-12 more complete bodies.......Any more dumb questions.....

FDNY.....GOD BLESS!!!!!  F@CK GUILIANI!!!!!
View Quote

true believer,, no, I'm not,,but there are benefits,,that could be utilized,,and don't worry what rank my father held,,as far as the elevator that must have been one hell of a elevator,,christ,,held together,,they even had to peel the roof off.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Muzzlebreak, You state that you beleive that most gun laws in NYC are unconstitutional and I agree. But on this past Tuesday the people of NYC voted 75% to 25% to establish expanded gun free zones around schools and to require all buyers of all firearms to be 21 years old. They want these asshole laws! I don't live in NYC but as a member of the NYCPD I have to enforce these bad laws that the majority of NYC residents want. If you are a major gun buff you cannot live in NYC, it is that simple. MIKE.
View Quote

What can I say except that you're 100% right. Years ago, a recruiter called me about a job in New York. Before he got the second sentence out of his mouth, I told him I wasn't interested. He was flaberghasted. I told him that it didn't matter what the job was because there just isn't enough money in the world to entice me to live there. To be completely honest, I can't fathom why anyone else would, either. But then, I still believe in liberty and independance. I don't think the same can be said for most New Yorkers. About the BEST thing I can thik of to say about it right now is that it ain't Berkley.

I'm not trying to run down anyone's home town even though it might seem that way. I just have no understanding or sympathy for a bunch of people who go out of their way to live like animals in a cage. For those who DO understand what it is to be free, I recomend they do whatever they have to do to get the hell out of New York City.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Jase, its funny that you should say that.....I have been planning to move for a couple of years now.  many, many reasons for it, first and foremost is that I live amongst savages.  No courtesy, no hello, no respect for anyone or anything.  New Yorkers are truly animal-like.

There is no quality of life here, you just work and sleep, work and sleep.  Yes we make more money here, but what good is it if you pay that much more in rent/taxes/everything else?

Florida here I come.  I have been planning to move down to Broward County for years, only problem has been the girlfriend.  She doesnt want to go.  My whole family is in the Ft. Lauderdale/ Coral Springs / Plantation area....
AND I CANT WAIT TO JOIN THEM!!!!

Goodbye NYPD.  I cant wait to get off this job.  I wont even get onto the subject of the NYPD or Ill make myself sick.  Anyway, how are Florida Gun Laws?
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The Firefighters need to get back to doing what they do...fighting fires. There is no good reason for them to be there in mass unless an emergency arrives. Pearl Harbor is a good example of necessity overcoming emotion. Consider the dead buried and move on.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:21:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Firefighters need to get back to doing what they do...fighting fires. There is no good reason for them to be there in mass unless an emergency arrives. Pearl Harbor is a good example of necessity overcoming emotion. Consider the dead buried and move on.
View Quote

Consider the dead buried and move on?  Easy to say from Louisiana (or however the hell you spell it).  Why dont you come on down to the corner of Broadway and Liberty, take a deep breath, smell the smoke/death in the air, and rethink what you just said.  Those guys are brothers, they spend more time with each other than they do with their spouses/families.  That being said, what if you were a fireman, and your best friend of 30 years, or your brother or father was buried in there, then would you consider them dead and buried and move on?

There are more than enough firemen to staff the firehouses in NYC, so the public safety is not an issue.  FDNY firemen work 2 days a week, that leaves them 5 days to spend as they wish, why not at the site, looking for fallen brethen?
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It sucks, the guy was just defending himself, but I cant put my career (as pathetic as it is) on the line because the guy broke the law.
View Quote

Trust me...  
There are ALOT of us who do NOT think that your career is pathetic !
(ignore the anti-LEO comments)

Keep up the good work ! [:D]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the kind words RBAD......but I still hate NYC!!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#10]
[b]UPDATE[/b]

In today's NY Post and Daily News I read that all charges were dropped against almost all the firemen. 1 firefighter is being charged (I believe it's assault, but I'm not sure...Hunduh or one of the other NY guys here can correct me).

Link Posted: 11/11/2001 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#11]
yes Wave you are correct. this news broke yesterday. like I said as soon as this calmed down all charges would be dropped against our Bravest. The only charge sticking is against one firefighter for striking a  Police captain in the head
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Boy I don't know what planet your on. But one thing I can see is that you don't understand the 'Ties that bind'. I can tell this because I spent 20 years as a Metro FireFighter. A year as an MP in the US and in Vietnam,then I extended my tour to fly as a 'Huey' gunner. In two of my former professions I have seen men give their lives to retrieve bodies of dead comrades. Is that rational ? No, but men gave their lives so that KIA's could come home for burial on our soil. It don't make sense unless you have been there...It's been nearly thirty years since our combat troops pulled out of Vietnam. There are still men trying to bring all of them home. So it's not so strange that that the mission to abort would cause a holocaust of rage by NYFD. Cops and Jake's are often at odds but when the shit hit's the fan...one team. What the city is doing ain't right...I'd be on front line raging till all the Fallen Brothers came home. Whoever put the NYPD cops in the middle, sucks to say the least...
  "Pearl Harbor is a good example of necessity overcoming emotion. Consider the dead buried and move on."......the dead ain't buried, and rage motivates a fighting man. Nuff Said
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
. Cops and Jake's are often at odds but when the shit hit's the fan...one team. What the city is doing ain't right...I'd be on front line raging till all the Fallen Brothers came home. Whoever put the NYPD cops in the middle, sucks to say the least...

View Quote

Finally, someone who can read between the lines and see what is really happening.  RUDY GUILIANI put NYPD in the middle, to save his big ugly EGO.  Let the firemen do what they need to do, you owe them that, you little NAZI!
And dont ask us (NYPD) to police OUR heros, FDNY, because your ego cant deal with them protesting against you.  Rudy, get out of NY already, you suck!  
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a shame it's coming to this, I hope all concerned respect each others duties and positions. What I see happening is your much deserved hero images and support damaged if things turn ugly. This conundrum has the potential to create harsh feelings between both forces for many years to come. No winners in this one. Politicians SUCK
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top