Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I put mine in a heated ultrasonic with nothing but DI water. Don't think I'd do any more than that.

I used a welding rod oven set to 250F to dry it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
My unit used a large ultrasonic on our NT4s. Right after they finished they put all the cans into an oven to dry it quickly. Never got around to asking then why, but I'm sure they had their reasoning.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm betting that heated ultrasonic - with an appropriate solvent that won't damage the finish (if any) on the can - is the easiest route here. Which solvent to use is probably the biggest variable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm betting that heated ultrasonic - with an appropriate solvent that won't damage the finish (if any) on the can - is the easiest route here. Which solvent to use is probably the biggest variable.
View Quote

Im gunna try and drop it in our unit at the shop. Im not sure its ultra sonic, but its what I have access to and would be a free first step. It does heat and already has some sort of solvent in it so.

If this doesn't work. Dip time

Im not worried about the cans finish, its beat up pretty good anyways. I can rattle can it later if the finish disappears
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Im gunna try and drop it in our unit at the shop. Im not sure its ultra sonic, but its what I have access to and would be a free first step. It does heat and already has some sort of solvent in it so.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really don't think the dip is going to help you. It's really a "lead only" solution that works for the lead-heavy fouling on rimfire cans.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I really don't think the dip is going to help you. It's really a "lead only" solution that works for the lead-heavy fouling on rimfire cans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man with the amount of rounds through that can, there is bound to be lead build up.

Almost every 5.56mm round has lead exposed at the base. I have never seen anyone post a pic of their can with more build up than mine. Im not saying to dip your can every 100 rounds, but Im more than likely over 10k with this can, and I have never done anything to clean it, and by the looks of it, something needs to happen to get some of this gunk out.

I can almost guarantee its a carbon/lead/vaporized copper mix in it. Look at the last pic I posted after I beat it around with a screw driver. Looks like the carbon is mostly gone and there are green spots(oxidized copper) on the blast walls
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what do you think that shiny metal is in his blast chamber that is built up and rough? he scraped off the carbon build up and it's molten lead hardened in there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I put mine in a heated ultrasonic with nothing but DI water. Don't think I'd do any more than that.

I used a welding rod oven set to 250F to dry it.
View Quote

DI water is corrosive to Pb/Cu, additionally hot water is too.  The question becomes how much time is needed to effectively remove?  Will a stronger acid be optimum or potentially damaging?  How much other crap do you have reducing the leachability of Pb/Cu?  Depending on your shooting what you do may work fine.   With a little science and understanding it really isn't hard to remove the fouling.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#10]
i clean them all the time, 80$ harbor freight ultrasonic tank, and either use proper UL carbon cleaning solution, or some brew, "50/50 hydrogen peroxide and vinegar" will remove lead,carbon,copper from a can FAST
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

GUNZILLA!!!  Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dammit, GemTech recommended something to clean my suppressor but I can't remember what it is!  Basically you just fill the suppressor up, let it sit, then empty it out and allow it to dry.  I'll post the name this evening if I can find the thread.

GemTech says Gunzilla or Ed's Red.

GUNZILLA!!!  Thanks!
with out a US, those wont do squat...

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i clean them all the time, 80$ harbor freight ultrasonic tank, and either use proper UL carbon cleaning solution, or some brew, "50/50 hydrogen peroxide and vinegar" will remove lead,carbon,copper from a can FAST
View Quote

I think Im gunna try the dip first.

Seems the easiest and cheapest option I have at my disposal.

If that doesn't work Im gunna drop it in the shops cleaner(again unsure if its an actual ultrasonic cleaner) and see what happens.

Either way Im sure Ill atleast get some of the crud out. Not looking for it to be perfect. But Id like to get some of it out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Origi

Man with the amount of rounds through that can, there is bound to be lead build up.

Almost every 5.56mm round has lead exposed at the base. I have never seen anyone post a pic of their can with more build up than mine. Im not saying to dip your can every 100 rounds, but Im more than likely over 10k with this can, and I have never done anything to clean it, and by the looks of it, something needs to happen to get some of this gunk out.

I can almost guarantee its a carbon/lead/vaporized copper mix in it. Look at the last pic I posted after I beat it around with a screw driver. Looks like the carbon is mostly gone and there are green spots(oxidized copper) on the blast walls
View All Quotes
Origi

the "dip"... "50/50 hydrogen peroxide and vinegar" in a UL tank, EATS carbon.... i ran tests on this probably 10+ years ago...

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
the "dip"... "50/50 hydrogen peroxide and vinegar" in a UL tank, EATS carbon.... i ran tests on this probably 10+ years ago...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Origi

Think the dip alone will work? If I was to do the dip in a ultra sonic cleaner, I would have to foot the bill for one. I bet I could get a cheap small one from harbor freight if it comes down to it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dammit, GemTech recommended something to clean my suppressor but I can't remember what it is!  Basically you just fill the suppressor up, let it sit, then empty it out and allow it to dry.  I'll post the name this evening if I can find the thread.

GUNZILLA!!!  Thanks!

why not? does the gunzilla not act as advertised?  or are you saying it wont be AS effective as with ultra sonic ?

What if i put a bunch of gunzilla in a cup, then put my QD flash hider in the gunzilla, and leave it a day or say? will NOTHING happen?

yes, real questions, about 2k rounds through the can, 75% with the flash hider.

what is a UL tank ?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

why not? does the gunzilla not act as advertised?  or are you saying it wont be AS effective as with ultra sonic ?

What if i put a bunch of gunzilla in a cup, then put my QD flash hider in the gunzilla, and leave it a day or say? will NOTHING happen?

what is a UL tank ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GUNZILLA!!!  Thanks!

what is a UL tank ?

Ultra sonic cleaner.

I can tell you that carbon killer soaking in my can for 24 hours did nothing. I mean nothing. Well I guess it smelled good for awhile, but got nothing out of it

That gunk in the can is essentially welded to it. Takes significant force with a hammer and screw driver to get what I got out of it
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]
OP... what barrel length you mainly shoot that on, and any full auto?

As for cleaning, someone on here had an aquarium/pond pump + a gallon CLP and just let that run through their cans for hours. That sounds like a good idea to me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP... what barrel length you mainly shoot that on, and any full auto?

As for cleaning, someone on here had an aquarium/pond pump + a gallon CLP and just let that run through their cans for hours. That sounds like a good idea to me.
View Quote

Most of its life its been between a 12.5 and 10.5 with brakes. Been used on a 16" C93(FH mount) and a 22" bolt gun(old MB mount)

Its seen so little full auto I hate to say I have even used it full auto. About a magazine worth on a 16" barrel full auto. I didn't dump it
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#19]
If you do the dip, remember it is super toxic and absorbs directly through skin...don't get it on you or your clothes.  

Also, it is hazmat...bigtime, so bottle it up and dispose at a proper center.  Don't be like the dbags who flush it into the water supply.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you do the dip, remember it is super toxic and absorbs directly through skin...don't get it on you or your clothes.  

Also, it is hazmat...bigtime, so bottle it up and dispose at a proper center.  Don't be like the dbags who flush it into the water supply.
View Quote

Ive done it before.

I was wanting to go a different route due to all of that. But really its the cheapest and easiest option available to me. I really have no doubt that itll atleast get something out of the can
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I bet if you put a bunch of those stainless steel media pins in there and ran it in your tumblr, or agitated it in some way with solution and the pins, it'd come out sparkling clean.

You'd have to shake and rinse the pins out afterwards, but that wouldn't be too hard.

the other thing I'd try is plug one end, fill with over cleaner,  heat it for a while in the oven, then rinse it out.  Oven cleaner pretty much cleans anything off metal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bet if you put a bunch of those stainless steel media pins in there and ran it in your tumblr, or agigated it in some way with solution and the pins, it'd come out sparkling clean.

You'd have to shake and rinse the pins out aftrwards, but that wouldn't be too hard.
View Quote

I do have a media tumbler. Never thought of using it like this.

Could be an option
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

what do you think that shiny metal is in his blast chamber that is built up and rough? he scraped off the carbon build up and it's molten lead hardened in there.
View Quote

Lol no..That would be the inside of the stainless tube that had the coating removed with a screwdriver and hammer.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lol no..That would be the inside of the stainless tube that had the coating removed with a screwdriver and hammer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No there is definitely something else in there shiny. Im guessing it to be lead as well. It is not part of the can, not originally atleast.

With the amount of rounds down the can there is bound to be lead build up. Atleast some. Most 5.56mm has exposed lead bases

If the dip doesn't work, then itll get the shops tank. If that doesn't work, then its back to the drawing board.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#25]
You could always use a sandblaster on it as well.  It would easily clean the blast chamber.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You could always use a sandblaster on it as well.  It would easily clean the blast chamber.
View Quote

Definitely another option.

The screw driver got a good bit out. The rest seems to be literally welded to the can.

Id really like to try and get some fouling out of the forward baffles. I cant see what it looks like inbetween them, but there is surely gunk there as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

He could just dump it somewhere in the Himalayans.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe you can put in the oven on a self cleaning cycle. They do get up over 700 degrees but it should turn the carbon to soft ash.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Soak it for a day or two in one of those automotive fuel additives like ZMAX that seep into the metal pores...it should creep up under the deposits then...Clamp it to your porch/deck/sawhorse...don rain coat and goggles...fire up 3000 PSI pressure washer, insert ZERO degree tip...spray 3000 PSI ZERO Degree water stream into the orifice rotating it around to get all the nooks and crannys and blast the crap out of there...be prepared to refinish can with rattle can header paint...
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Personally, I'd just call AAC.
View Quote

They really cared about my single shot .45 ACP can.    Yeh, you REALLY DO NEED A PISTON!  

I am surprised that their answer was not, "buy a new can".     Needless to say, my other cans are not AAC.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Seriously $80 Harbor Freight ultrasonic tank and super clean. The walls of my can were fucking smooth, as silk. This is after about 300 rounds since the cleaning. It took about an hour of soaking. Also don't be afraid of the coating getting gone because it will anyways when you shoot it enough. Its not shiny when its bare.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Seriously $80 Harbor Freight ultrasonic tank and super clean. The walls of my can were fucking smooth, as silk. This is after about 300 rounds since the cleaning. It took about an hour of soaking. Also don't be afraid of the coating getting gone because it will anyways when you shoot it enough. Its not shiny when its bare. <a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/Sleeper362/media/D76B079D-A482-43D3-A767-9E92F9A0E41B_zps3a48yieb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc156/Sleeper362/D76B079D-A482-43D3-A767-9E92F9A0E41B_zps3a48yieb.jpg</a>
View Quote

Oh I could care less about outside appearance.

I may end up going this route as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#35]
AAC has responded saying ultra sonic cleaners and the dip are good to go.

Nick who I have been emailing with told me he believed the ultrasonic would do more to clean it but warned it would likely strip away the exterior coating of the can.

Non issue to me as the exterior coat is beat up pretty badly anyways
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

AAC has responded saying ultra sonic cleaners and the dip are good to go.

Nick who I have been emailing with told me he believed the ultrasonic would do more to clean it but warned it would likely strip away the exterior coating of the can.

Non issue to me as the exterior coat is beat up pretty badly anyways
View Quote

Exterior needs CLP then:

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I use this with my sealed .22LR can and it gets WAYYY worse than that. Gets in nice and clean in no time.. Its on sale right now may pick up another at that price just to have. It also does a great job on old crusty brass. only downside is you cant fit more than 200 or so in at a time due to its size

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNzkwMjkyMTIiLCJza3UiOiI5NTU2MyIsImlzIjoiNjkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMzIyNyJ9%0D%0A
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I use this with my sealed .22LR can and it gets WAYYY worse than that. Gets in nice and clean in no time.. Its on sale right now may pick up another at that price just to have. It also does a great job on old crusty brass. only downside is you cant fit more than 200 or so in at a time due to its size

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNzkwMjkyMTIiLCJza3UiOiI5NTU2MyIsImlzIjoiNjkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMzIyNyJ9%0D%0A
View Quote

Yup that's the one Im going to check out.

What cleaner did you use?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#39]
What is dip?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What is dip?
View Quote

50/50 hydrogen peroxide and vinegar.

Its nasty ass shit though
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

What is dip?
View Quote
And where do I get some ?..
oh.

duh.

Thanks.  peroxide and acetic acid.

What is the resulting  chemical compound, and HOW ugly is it ?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#43]

the mixture isnt lead acetate, it's paracetic acid. It becomes lead acetate after it absorbs the lead from the silencer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#44]
ultrasonic cleaner over an extended period, good rising, flush out with something that will evaporate quickly. repeat until clean.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#45]
IM me your mailing address I have a product for you to try in the ultrasonic. I'll send you a sample N/C.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
IM me your mailing address I have a product for you to try in the ultrasonic. I'll send you a sample N/C.

View Quote

Im sent
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Dday tonight is likely

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Dday tonight is likely

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/20150226_180119_zpshk4vrtck.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/20150226_180119_zpshk4vrtck.jpg</a>
View Quote

nice
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#49]
If you want to preserve what is left of your finish you should wrap a rubber band on each end of it so that it doesn't vibrate against the basket.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#50]
from wiki:

An aqueous solution of lead(II) acetate is the byproduct of the 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegarused in the cleaning and maintenance of stainless steel firearm suppressors (silencers) and compensators. The solution is agitated by the bubbling action of the hydrogen peroxide, and the main reaction is the dissolution of lead deposits within the suppressor by the acetic acid, which forms lead acetate. Because of its high toxicity, this chemical solution must be appropriately disposed by a chemical processing facility or hazardous materials centre. Alternatively, the solution may be reacted with sulfuric acid to precipitate nearly insoluble lead(II) sulfate. The solid may then be removed by mechanical filtration and is safer to dispose of than aqueous lead acetate
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top