Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/25/2015 11:21:20 AM EDT
Ive owned a AAC M4-2000 for several years now, I rarely shoot anything 5.56mm unsuppressed now a days.

Yes I understand there is a suppressor sub section, it gets decent traffic there but wanted to get a broader opinion on this subject than the standard response.

Yes I also understand almost every rifle suppressor manufacturer says not to clean sealed rifle cans, as they supposedly self cleaning. Hmm sounds somewhat familiar to the Vietnam era thinking of when it came to ARs doesn't it?

In my experience from shooting mine quite a bit, some sort of cleaning will eventually be needed. I am 8K+++ down my can, which is a heavily conservative estimate, and it has significant carbon fouling.

I have noticed that switching between different adapters, such as a MB to a FH on separate hosts will knock a small amount free, but still there is significant fouling.

One thing to note, I didn't use a FH mount until this summer, doing so knocked a few large chunks free, and then I noticed I had a end cap strike. Not sure I can 100% blame the carbon breaking loose causing this, but having that rattle around inside a can cannot be good.

Ive tried a few different thing, I have soaked it in mineral spirits, carbon killer, CLP, with absolutely no results. I have tried copper and steel brushes, with no results. The only thing that has even began to remove the fouling is a flat head screw driver and a hammer(yea its in there that good).

So despite the standard response of, you don't need to clean your suppressor, what can I do here?

Update- I already whaled at it with a screw driver and hammer. Next step is to either dip it or drop it in the cleaning tank at the shop. Ill post pics with the after action results of which ever I go with.

Updated pic after being tenderly loved with a hammer and flat head screw driver

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Have you asked the manufacturer what they suggest?

Maybe an ultrasonic bath in carbon killer solution?

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I had in the past, before significant fouling appeared. They said no cleaning is necessary other than the mounts. I have emailed them these pics to see what they suggest, but no dice yet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
This.  I'd just contact AAC and see if they will take care of it.  Mers has been damned good about any customer service (I think he still there).

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Free stater problems.

Isn't there a service life on suppressors? Will AAC "repair" it? Can they replace everything and keep the same serial # so you don't have to do all the NFA stuff?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Free stater problems.

Isn't there a service life on suppressors? Will AAC "repair" it? Can they replace everything and keep the same serial # so you don't have to do all the NFA stuff?
View Quote

No ones keeping you in a commie state

Im sure there is a service life, but I want to keep it going for as long as possible.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I ran mine in a heated ultrasonic cleaner with castrol superclean in the purple bottle. It not only cleaned the carbon out, it also killed the finish on the can which I believe is air cured cerakote. The can is clean though and sounds like it dropped a few decibels in the process.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Dammit, GemTech recommended something to clean my suppressor but I can't remember what it is!  Basically you just fill the suppressor up, let it sit, then empty it out and allow it to dry.  I'll post the name this evening if I can find the thread.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I ran mine in a heated ultrasonic cleaner with castrol superclean in the purple bottle. It not only cleaned the carbon out, it also killed the finish on the can which I believe is air cured cerakote. The can is clean though and sounds like it dropped a few decibels in the process.
View Quote

I could live with hitting the can with a rattle can

I just want to prolong my investment
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#10]
plug the exit and fill it full of the dip
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Man, that is nasty.  I need a shower now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Harbor Freight Sonic Cleaner might get the carbon out and be less damaging to the can.  Worth a try.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I would (and I'm not kidding here) boil it in a 15% caustic and water solution for an hour or so, and let it cool in the pot.

The crap should almost float out after that.  

Edit: if using caustic (or Super Purple works too, as sugested below) DO NOT use an aluminum pan.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dammit, GemTech recommended something to clean my suppressor but I can't remember what it is!  Basically you just fill the suppressor up, let it sit, then empty it out and allow it to dry.  I'll post the name this evening if I can find the thread.
View Quote

GemTech says Gunzilla or Ed's Red.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup this here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd make sure what all materials the can was made of before I did that. If it is kosher, that'd be the route I'd go though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yup this here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup this here.

The shop at work just got some new deal to clean corroded, dirty, greasy, oily heavy equipment parts.

Im not sure its ultra sonic, but it does heat, I need to drop mine in it for an hour and see what happens.

I think ultrasonic maybe the route I need, But I have heard its hard on welds? Anyone know if theres a truth to this?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'd make sure what all materials the can was made of before I did that. If it is kosher, that'd be the route I'd go though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The dip seems shady to me.

I have done it on leaded barrels before with no ill repercussions, but something like on a silencer makes me worrisome. The can is made out of stainless and some other hard as shit material so I believe it would be fine, but the dip would have to be an absolute last option for me
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#19]
What about thermal shock.......like dry ice it -109F and then warm it up?  Or simply dry ice in the can with warm water and let the freeze, forming carbonic acid do an acid wash and the effervescence clean out the can?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GUNZILLA!!!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What about thermal shock.......like dry ice it -109F and then warm it up?  Or simply dry ice in the can with warm water and let the freeze, forming carbonic acid do an acid wash and the effervescence clean out the can?
View Quote

Id be worried about exposing it to temperature extremes like that, could possibly warp the can? Im no metal expert however
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Taggage.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#23]
wow, it's obvious some of you guys don't really know much about the dip or a m4-2000. the baffles are inconel 718 and are perfectly capable of handling the dip
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have done it on leaded barrels before with no ill repercussions, but something like on a silencer makes me worrisome. The can is made out of stainless and some other hard as shit material so I believe it would be fine, but the dip would have to be an absolute last option for me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used it several times on stainless baffles in my Element and Sparrow SS. I don't know how it would react with the Inconel blast baffle. I also don't know what other materials that can might be made of.

I have an M42K in 6.8, but I only have a couple of thousand rounds through mine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
wow, it's obvious some of you guys don't really know much about the dip or a m4-2000. the baffles are inconel 718 and are perfectly capable of handling the dip
View Quote

Nice edit.

Is the entire stack Inconel? I can't remember and AAC doesn't have that info on their site.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Care to enlighten us ignorant folk?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, I have done it for a few barrels before. Its simply so nasty and a pain in the dick to dispose of in the right  way.

Im not against using this method, but want it to be a last ditch option. I have no doubt the can would be fine, but its the handling of the toxic material after I would rather not mess with

The entire stack and end cap is Inconel from my understanding
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#27]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1DtY2VwSyY

edit:
eff youtube embeding.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Is the entire stack Inconel? I can't remember and AAC doesn't have that info on their site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

inconel 718 stack with 316ss tube/caps
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Tag for info.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spring, latch and associated pin(s)? I've never seen any material discussion on those.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Agreed, I have done it for a few barrels before. Its simply so nasty and a pain in the dick to dispose of in the right  way.

Im not against using this method, but want it to be a last ditch option. I have no doubt the can would be fine, but its the handling of the toxic material after I would rather not mess with

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

plug the end, pour in the dip into the core, let it sit in mason jar. when it's finished, invert the suppressor into the jar, shake out the fluid/gunk into the mason jar. screw on lid and keep it as the dumping jar for future cleaning or call your local recycling center to inquire about disposal of hazardous material
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Simple Green?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Spring, latch and associated pin(s)? I've never seen any material discussion on those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they won't be in contact with the material but in a splashing when dumping the fluid. you don't submerge the entire suppressor
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

plug the end, pour in the dip into the core, let it sit in mason jar. when it's finished, invert the suppressor into the jar, shake out the fluid/gunk into the mason jar. screw on lid and keep it as the dumping jar for future cleaning or call your local recycling center to inquire about disposal of hazardous material
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong. This is definitely an option I am considering. I just want it to be a last ditch option.

But you are correct it wouldn't be hard to do, and exposing the unknown items would definitely be minimized if not eliminated by the process you described
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong. This is definitely an option I am considering. I just want it to be a last ditch option.

But you are correct it wouldn't be hard to do, and exposing the unknown items would definitely be minimized if not eliminated by the process you described
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it'll be the best option you have at chemically removing built up led in the core
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Personally, I'd just call AAC.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I know the stainless is good to go as I have dipped 1911 barrels in the past.

Are we pretty confident the Inconcel and welds will have no ill repercussions from the dip? Id imagine not, but I believe I have heard not to dip things that are not stainless, I believe Inconel is a derivative of stainless however
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are we pretty confident the Inconcel and welds will have no ill repercussions from the dip? Id imagine not, but I believe I have heard not to dip things that are not stainless, I believe Inconel is a derivative of stainless however
View Quote

call AAC and see what they say about the welds, but inconel is good to go
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do. I have an email floating out there to them. Ill see what they say back and then ask. I understand their in the process of moving so it maybe some time. Not to mention Im sure their just like "fuck not another how do I clean my can question"

Im going to try the tub cleaner thingy in the shop before I do anything. Not sure its ultra sonic, but its free to try
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Dip in simple green use a Spaghetti Tower, shake the hell out of it let sit for 4 hour. Wash the can out with water then dip it WD-40 in the tower again take out blow out with compressed air. Repeat as needed. Don't do with aluminum can.

Or use Ed's Red instead of the simple green
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Ultrasonic with carbon killer.  It is going to have to soak for about a week or two...  

Personally, I would run it for a few hours, soak for a day, repeat...for a week or so.  

Carbon killer and similar products require a lot of soak time.  They are not fast acting at all.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ultrasonic with carbon killer.  It is going to have to soak for about a week or two...  

Personally, I would run it for a few hours, soak for a day, repeat...for a week or so.  

Carbon killer and similar products require a lot of soak time.  They are not fast acting at all.
View Quote

Its super expensive too.

I let it soak for a day, but wasn't in a ultra sonic. It didn't do anything for me just sitting inside there, but ultrasonic could be the game changer
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Id be worried about exposing it to temperature extremes like that, could possibly warp the can? Im no metal expert however
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Certainly an aspect to consider.  Do any manufacturers have advice when shooting in extreme environments?  I mean if you are up in the Arctic and blast a 30 rd mag on a cold can that would be a greater extreme.  No doubt the type of metals used are a factor, but I've just never seen even generalized info.  I shoot a lot of 22LR in my early version 45 Tirant.  I just freeze it and then blast some centerfire ammo in it.  It seems to be safe, but on a full power rifle I would be  hesitant.  I don't have terrible fouling, but then how much 22LR is a bad thing?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. The dip is designed to remove lead buildup by chemically reacting into lead acetate. Lead isn't the problem in a centerfire rifle can.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No. The dip is designed to remove lead buildup by chemically reacting into lead acetate. Lead isn't the problem in a centerfire rifle can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe theres a mix of carbon, lead, and vaporized copper in the blast chamber. I bet the dip would do some serious work on that stuff.

When you get enough rounds down the can, lead can most definitely be an issue. Most 5.56mm rounds have the ass end exposed which is bare lead
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#46]
AAC replied.

Plug kroil for atleast a few hours(I would be surprised if a day or two would even touch whats in there). Then try to attack it with a stainless brush, or use a screw driver and hammer like I have before. He says he doesn't believe much crud would make it past the blast chamber

I replied back asking about ultrasonic cleaners and the dip.

Ill update when I know
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Plug one end. Pee in it. Run a torch up and down the sides to heat it up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Found a thread from 09 where Mers said you could dip a M4-2000 without any ill repercussions.

Looking like more and more this is the best route to get it done without spending significant effort on it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I believe theres a mix of carbon, lead, and vaporized copper in the blast chamber. I bet the dip would do some serious work on that stuff.

When you get enough rounds down the can, lead can most definitely be an issue. Most 5.56mm rounds have the ass end exposed which is bare lead
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is definitely a difference in rimfire and centerfire fouling....Rimfire has poorer ignition and more unburnt stuff, as well as more impurities.  It also doesn't generate nearly as much heat so there is less lead vapor, but certainly the possibility for more lead exposure at the borehole.  It seems like more Pb distribution in the can's core.  So regardless you have to be able to remove Pb.  I think Pb removal challenges are over hyped.  Lead solubility increases dramatically below a pH of 6, however if you have other non metallic constituents it minimizes the contact of acids/heated solutions with Pb or Cu.  This is why I believe frequent mild acid baths are important to keep a good metal removal rate and thermal shock is good to break up carbon fouling.  I'm still experimenting, but I haven't ruined my can yet  
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There is definitely a difference in rimfire and centerfire fouling....Rimfire has poorer ignition and more unburnt stuff, as well as more impurities.  It also doesn't generate nearly as much heat so there is less lead vapor, but certainly the possibility for more lead exposure at the borehole.  It seems like more Pb distribution in the can's core.  So regardless you have to be able to remove Pb.  I think Pb removal challenges are over hyped.  Lead solubility increases dramatically below a pH of 6, however if you have other non metallic constituents it minimizes the contact of acids/heated solutions with Pb or Cu.  This is why I believe frequent mild acid baths are important to keep a good metal removal rate and thermal shock is good to break up carbon fouling.  I'm still experimenting, but I haven't ruined my can yet  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id imagine its pretty hard to actually ruin a can. I mean I was sitting there whaling on mine with a hammer and a flat head screw driver the other night. Got a decent bit of the fouling out. But theres simply no way to go farther than the blast baffle with this method

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top