BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

theres a whole lot of WTF going on with them having M1's in my opinion....I don't give a shit if they are DU or not...

I would have rather not known....guess I got something to be pissed at Obungo about since he is gonna fix everything and all....

I'll give you a guess who the President was when they got those tanks.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I hope you enjoyed the pictorial review......because YOU AND I PAID FOR EVERY BIT OF IT!!!

And China gets 60% of the oil, without spilling one drop of Blood
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's either they buy from us, or they buy from our competitors.

Haven't you heard the much quoted opinion here?  We gave them all that stuff.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Those are monkeyed down M1s not the real thing.

Same with the SP guns.

How do you dumb down a paladin?

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same with the SP guns.

Put a crew of red-legs in it

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same with the SP guns.

Burn!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I still don't like the fact they are using M1's.

We should have scoured the country for old M60's and given them those.

+1...+A Million....

Worse yet is that we helped the Egyptians build a freaking FACTORY to MAKE them...
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same with the SP guns.

Burn!

Well...I wasn't going to go there...but it was my first thought.

At this point, making fun of my arty buddies is a cross between mocking a retard and a rape victim.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
lol at the Iraqi Air Force. I remember seeing those guys take off and land at FOB Warrior in Kirkuk.. you'd see their pilots walking around in flight suits like they were from Top Gun but they were flying little Cessnas and shit.

Surprised they didn't have any of the Strykers we gave them on display. I remember on one of my last missions in 2009 I got passed by some of them going into Mosul on Tampa near the Baghdad Traffic Circle. They were painted all stupid and had Iraqi flags pretty much anywhere you could think to put them. I said "Oh shit, look dude there are Iraqi Strykers" and my TC asked how I could tell they were Iraqi and I informed them of the flags and such.... and the fact that every one of their gunners flagged me with their crew served weapon systems!

I work with some former Iraqi pilots who are now IA Infantry commanders. One of them used to fly MiG-25s out of Al Asad, the other flew MiG-23s somewhere in the South. They speak English as good as any Iraqi terp, they had to learn it as all the guages and controls in their jets were in English... not Russian. To fly those jets you had to be pretty intelligent, I will give them credit for that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I work with some former Iraqi pilots who are now IA Infantry commanders. One of them used to fly MiG-25s out of Al Asad, the other flew MiG-23s somewhere in the South. They speak English as good as any Iraqi terp, they had to learn it as all the guages and controls in their jets were in English... not Russian. To fly those jets you had to be pretty intelligent, I will give them credit for that.

One of my companies terps was a Iraqi Air force General.  Same thing.   Spent YEARS traveling to other countries cross training with other Military's (learned how to fly tornado's in England and such).

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope you enjoyed the pictorial review......because YOU AND I PAID FOR EVERY BIT OF IT!!!

Yep! it made me feel weird seeing the Iraqi Army rolling around in Abrams and Paladin's.

Just wondering if they'll be using our own hardware against us in the near future.

yup
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1...+A Million....

Worse yet is that we helped the Egyptians build a freaking FACTORY to MAKE them...

The Egyptians assembled their Abrams from components made in the US.

They didn't make shit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol at the Iraqi Air Force. I remember seeing those guys take off and land at FOB Warrior in Kirkuk.. you'd see their pilots walking around in flight suits like they were from Top Gun but they were flying little Cessnas and shit.

Surprised they didn't have any of the Strykers we gave them on display. I remember on one of my last missions in 2009 I got passed by some of them going into Mosul on Tampa near the Baghdad Traffic Circle. They were painted all stupid and had Iraqi flags pretty much anywhere you could think to put them. I said "Oh shit, look dude there are Iraqi Strykers" and my TC asked how I could tell they were Iraqi and I informed them of the flags and such.... and the fact that every one of their gunners flagged me with their crew served weapon systems!

One of my college english teachers was from Iran and her husband flew F-14's during the Iran-Iraq war. He came in on the last day and told some chilling stories. Bad news is they threatened to kill him after the war because he was from the shah era and they questioned his loyalty. He was U.S. trained, and highly competent. Bugged out via turkey.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same with the SP guns.

Enough already, those are NOT Paladins, they are M109A3/A4/A5's that were captured from Iran during their war and salvaged from the scrap yards and refurbished using their own money, we did give them 24 old M109A4's that we don't use anymore. Hardly a threat. Btw, our Paladins are some of the oldest tech in terms of self propelled artillery, Great Britain, Germany, Russia, France, Spain, Poland, ie: the rest of the damned world has better self propelled artillery than our M109A6, even the PIP version is lacking behind such superior designs as the Panzerhaubitze 2000, AS-90, and others are far superior to our Paladin. Here is what they used to look like.

Steve
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1...+A Million....

They didn't make shit.

Also wrong, the Iraqi Abrams came from Lima, just like the rest of them. The Egyptian's only make their own tanks.

General Dynamics Awarded $198 Million to Build 140 Iraqi Tanks
STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. � The U.S. Army Tank and Automotive Command has awarded General Dynamics Land Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), a contract worth $198 million to build 140 M1A1 SA (Situational Awareness) tanks for Iraq.

The SA enhancements to the M1A1 for Iraq include a second-generation forward-looking infrared (FLIR) thermal sight, a driver's vision-enhancer thermal viewer and Tank Urban Survivability Kit (TUSK) improvements, which provide better crew protection in urban warfare environments. In addition, engines developed through the Army's Total Integrated Engine Revitalization (TIGER) program will be installed and pulse-jet filter cleaning systems added to improve performance while reducing maintenance requirements and costs.

Work will be performed in Lima, Ohio; Scranton, Pa.; Anniston, Ala.; and Tallahassee, Fla. The completion date for the contract is May 31, 2011.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The fact that Iraq actually paid for all this equipment themselves is much less dramatic.

Bullshit.  I bought their special operations helicopters and pilot night vision gear–– with US money.

Jordan gave them six Hueys that had to be completely overhauled –– on Uncle's dime.  The Cessna Caravans –– bought and modified by the US.

US-pattern small arms –– bought by the US.  Thousands of Ford and Chevy trucks –– bought by the US.  Tens of thousands of radios and computers, bought by Uncle.

Maintenance for all this equiment –– paid for by the US.  Military compounds built or re-built –– paid for by the US.

They're sitting on an ocean of oil and they won't buy anything they don't want.  Funny how they can hop on a plane to China and buy all kinds of rockets, though.

One of the few people in this thread that know what they are talking about. Great post Sir. The deal I heard about the Abrams buy, and I could be wrong. The Iraqi's bought the tanks, we paid for all the spare parts and support equipment like HEMMT's and M88A2s.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Enough already, those are NOT Paladins,

Steve

My mistake, I didn't realize Paladin was only the name of the A6 variant.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Enough already, those are NOT Paladins,

Steve

My mistake, I didn't realize Paladin was only the name of the A6 variant.

Yup, Paladin came about with the A6, prior to that it had no official name past M109, just like the M113, just an M number.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1...+A Million....

They didn't make shit.

Also wrong, the Iraqi Abrams came from Lima, just like the rest of them. The Egyptian's only make their own tanks.

STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. � The U.S. Army Tank and Automotive Command has awarded General Dynamics Land Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), a contract worth $198 million to build 140 M1A1 SA (Situational Awareness) tanks for Iraq.

The SA enhancements to the M1A1 for Iraq include a second-generation forward-looking infrared (FLIR) thermal sight, a driver's vision-enhancer thermal viewer and Tank Urban Survivability Kit (TUSK) improvements, which provide better crew protection in urban warfare environments. In addition, engines developed through the Army's Total Integrated Engine Revitalization (TIGER) program will be installed and pulse-jet filter cleaning systems added to improve performance while reducing maintenance requirements and costs.

Work will be performed in Lima, Ohio; Scranton, Pa.; Anniston, Ala.; and Tallahassee, Fla. The completion date for the contract is May 31, 2011.

I thought the Abrams factory in Egypt was not self contained and thus would only be capable of assembling tanks as long as we continue supply them with "tank kits"?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1...+A Million....

They didn't make shit.

I thought the Abrams factory in Egypt was not self contained and thus would only be capable of assembling tanks as long as we continue supply them with "tank kits"?

Correct, that's what I meant, as in they make their own tanks using kits that we send them and are assembled in their factory.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

Correct, that's what I meant, as in they make their own tanks using kits that we send them and are assembled in their factory.

Got it, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that Iraq actually paid for all this equipment themselves is much less dramatic.

Bullshit.  I bought their special operations helicopters and pilot night vision gear–– with US money.

Jordan gave them six Hueys that had to be completely overhauled –– on Uncle's dime.  The Cessna Caravans –– bought and modified by the US.

US-pattern small arms –– bought by the US.  Thousands of Ford and Chevy trucks –– bought by the US.  Tens of thousands of radios and computers, bought by Uncle.

Maintenance for all this equiment –– paid for by the US.  Military compounds built or re-built –– paid for by the US.

They're sitting on an ocean of oil and they won't buy anything they don't want.  Funny how they can hop on a plane to China and buy all kinds of rockets, though.

One of the few people in this thread that know what they are talking about. Great post Sir. The deal I heard about the Abrams buy, and I could be wrong. The Iraqi's bought the tanks, we paid for all the spare parts and support equipment like HEMMT's and M88A2s.

Steve, check out my link on the first page.  There is a very good article there.   Sinister is probably right about all that above, who am I to doubt him...

I've been very busy Steve and just got back from R&R, I'll try and get those pics for you as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same with the SP guns.

WIN!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

THIS.   Us G2 types lose our fucking minds when we see the leadership tripping overthemselves to give iraqi's free shit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah like at Eglin AFB.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I was their when they got those Hinds. Unloaded off of an Antonov AN-124. Coolest shit I ever seen.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah like at Eglin AFB.  

Here is how this goes down in real life. We give them old beat to shit M60's which we then have to refurb since the last M60 unit deactivated in 1994. We then try to pass them off to the Iraqi's who say fuck you, we don't want ths crap because guess what, they have fields of M60A1's they captured from Iran and never used them. They go to France and buy Leclerc's, or Russia and buy T-90S's. This is the point at which people at Anniston Army Depot, and the GDLS's tank factory in Lima Ohio lose their jobs due to not needing that extra shift to work on the Iraqi orders. Instead, French tanks or Russian tanks now occupy the ranks of the new Iraqi army as opposed to M1's. Btw, the Iraqi M1's have export armor packages. Their sensors are good, but the armor isn't the same as what we have. They also lack any real ADA and fighter capacity, so in the event that we ever needed to make them go away vi JDAM, it's not hard to spot an M1A1 through thermal sensors in the Iraqi desert. You're all getting riled up about nothing. Be glad they are at least keeping some skilled American workers gainfully employed.

Also, to address the M60 issue, do you have any idea how many slick M1's, and M1IP's, and early M1A1's are just rusting away? M60's are useless and so far out of date that their best use is being a museum piece or dumped off the coast of Jersey to be made into artificial reefs. There is a reason we aren't doing fresh build tanks for the M1A2 program and are instead recycling old M1 and M1IP's. We have an awful lot of them sitting around rusting.

Iraq's own supply of M60's and a Sherman. Thank Iran.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Also, to address the M60 issue, do you have any idea how many slick M1's, and M1IP's, and early M1A1's are just rusting away?

Here's an interesting fact given to me by GD's Stryker project manager:  The last M1 series tank hull was manufactured in 1989.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And China gets 60% of the oil, without spilling one drop of Blood

Sometimes we are fucking stupid. We're too worried about our world image sometimes. You think the Russians, Chinese, or anyone else lets their self image from doing what needs to be done? The USA is the only country in the world that takes the moral high ground and it just bites us in the ass and other countries laugh at us and dont like us whether we try to be humane or not.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, to address the M60 issue, do you have any idea how many slick M1's, and M1IP's, and early M1A1's are just rusting away?

Here's an interesting fact given to me by GD's Stryker project manager:  The last M1 series tank hull was manufactured in 1989.

Sounds about right. We made some new manufacture M1A2's, all SEP's and M1A1 SA's and M1A1D's were zero mile rebuilds, as were the Australian tanks. fun fact, we offered the Aussies full on M1A1 HC tanks, with the DU armor, non export, same specs we have. They turned down the DU armor for something else, something supposedly more "green". Easiest way to tell the model of an Abrams it to look at the serial number on the turret right in front of the tow cable. If it's got a U at the end they have DU armor, if it's got an E, its an export model for Egypt, Saudi, Kuwait, or Iraq, if it ends with an A, it's Australian.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:59:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same experience here- I saw millions upon millions of dollars of stuff asked for by the Iraqis and paid for either by DoD or DoS, day in and day out.  They would ask, we'd say no, they'd say "ok, we don't need it then" and we'd respond with "yes, you do, so here ya go..."  Time after time...  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1...+A Million....

They didn't make shit.

Nothing that you posted proves my post to be incorrect.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1...+A Million....

They didn't make shit.

How bout that. My apologies, for some reason I thought you had said that the Iraqi tanks were built in Egypt's tank factory. My apologies, it would appear I was supporting your argument against Der_Hans and quoted the wrong post.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Soooo....when do they start using our equipment against us?

Never(not in our life time(s) anyway), are you a "gold bug" as well?

The war will pay for itself, and somethings you cant put a dollar amount on.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1...+A Million....

They didn't make shit.

How bout that. My apologies, for some reason I thought you had said that the Iraqi tanks were built in Egypt's tank factory. My apologies, it would appear I was supporting your argument against Der_Hans and quoted the wrong post.

No problem.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top