Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I live about 40 miles from the border, Canucks buy milk down here by the car load.

Always thought it was a price thing.

Bags
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#2]
How much is a gallon of milk for you guys?
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Brazil sells milk in bags (or at least they did the last time I was there).

Also sold irradiated milk in boxes, non-refrigerated.

Aseptically packaged milk does not have to be irradiated.

It is pasteurized better and then packaged in layers of plastic and metal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Sam here, we call them sachets.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

~$3.50
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#7]

In the photo to the right it looks like she's thinking, "yeah I know", not in a good way, in a 'I have to lug these around all day' way.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

~$3.50

For real or is this the famous arfcom meme gimmeh tree fiddy? It goes for about 5$ here

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]
My milk comes in a #10 can.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not just Canadians.  When I was in high school, (almost 20 years ago), we switched from half pint cartons of milk in the cafeteria, to half pint bags of milk.  We referred to them as "breast implants."  It came with a small, pointed straw to puncture it, like a juice box.  I have no idea if they still serve milk in a bag.

ETA:  Beat by 2 minutes.

Those things even had a name, Astro-Paks.
The whole idea was to reduce the bulk from all of those half pint cartons of milk served in schools.

Of course we defeated this by blowing them up and poking the straw out the other side.
You could also squeeze them hard and shoot milk across the room.

Leave it to kids to find a way to fuck things up.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~$3.50

For real or is this the famous arfcom meme gimmeh tree fiddy? It goes for about 5$ here

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn205/thecanuck11/forum%20pics/gimmehtreefiddy.jpg

I bought two gallons yesterday at $2 a jug.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I prefer jugs

The little bags they give kids in school cafeterias here look like breast implants.

Like sirbordsalot311, I prefer real jugs, too.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I haven't seen milk in bags since I was a kid, I find it weirder to see them in juice type boxes

I will stick to jugs and cartons thank you

(And yes I am in Canuckastan right now

When I was a kid, school cafeteria milk came in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers... until high school.  Then it came in little cardboard cartons.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Milk in a bag doesn't make any sense.

Sorta does, in public school we had tiny bags of milk we'd drink. I thought it was just a public school thing.

Yup, same.  I'd just bite the corner and squeeze.  The chocolate kind was the shit.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~$3.50

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn205/thecanuck11/forum%20pics/gimmehtreefiddy.jpg

$5? WTF?

Does your gov. tax the crap out of it? I thought the bag was exposed to make it cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I live about 40 miles from the border, Canucks buy milk down here by the car load.

Always thought it was a price thing.

Bags

Weirdddd.... I'd think it'd be cheaper up north.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Like $2.75ish for a gallon. Might be slightly less at Wal-Mart.

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 1:27:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Like $2.75ish for a gallon. Might be slightly less at Wal-Mart.

Bout the same here at Walmart.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:13:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~$3.50

$5? WTF?

Does your gov. tax the crap out of it? I thought the bag was exposed to make it cheaper.

no tax on milk
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

~$3.50

$5? WTF?

no tax on milk

Yooous getting ripped off.

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#21]
$5 a gal? Wow! Milk is on sale this week at Aldis for $1.49 a gallon.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I prefer jugs

Jugs are ok in my book too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:54:51 AM EDT
[#23]
As a child went on a fishing trip to canada in 1976 or 1977 and the milk was in bags back then.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:17:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know WHY they come in bags in Canada?
Think about this.

They had AM milk deliveries when I live in Quebec City, Canada.
They would deliver milk on your doorstep at 5AM. It used to be in Cartons.
In the Winter (which is from November to May in Quebec), if you did not retrieve your milk before it froze in the subzero temperatures, the milk would freeze and expand, rupturing the carton. The bags do not rupture as they can leave enough room for expansion.

It's a simple matter of practicality. I remember thinking it was weird when they switched, then the light bulb came on. No more gettting up at the crack of dawn to rescue your milk before certain death on the doorstep. Simple necessity drives many things.

There is the basic difference between America and Canada.  Americans see a busted milk carton and, "Fuck.  Guess we need a mildly bigger carton."  

Edit: I am wondering just how many Engineers I know are in the closet about being Canadian now

Bigger cartons full of air are a transportation, storage and packaging compromise. Trucks carry less milk, they take more room to store, packaging costs more.
The bags are more durable and withstand damage inducing events better than the fragile cartons in subzero weather, indeed in all weather.

In all, it was a win-win decision to put milk in bags, despite how weird it may seem to some. Believe or not, you get used to it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~$3.50

$5? WTF?

no tax on milk

No. The price of dairy products is set by a gremium called the Dairy Board. They dictate (and I choose these words intentionally) how much milk is to be produced by whom. Excess production is to be "disposed of" - basically it goes into the nearest ditch, or the farmer gets fined. Know someone on the board, you get to make more money. They set the prices the farmers get paid, and the price the milk has in wholesale.

The result: 1/2 gallon of milk in the US is about $2.10. In Canada 2L (0.6 US Gal) of milk is something like $4.50.

This is similar to the Wheat Board system. Yes, Canada has a lot of boards.

There is little logic, and no due process. Kind of like the Canadian Human Rights Commission - it's basically a censorship body.

ETA: I have seen milk sold in 1L in bags in Germany, Brazil, and Argentina. The cardboard/metal long-shelf-life milk is not irradiated, it's ultra-pasteurized and kept in an aseptic packaging material called by its "tetra-pak" trade name. It's also sold stateside, generally by the Italian food conglomerate Parmalat. Your kids' fruit juices claiming "now with 10% juice!" on the box come in this packaging in the USA also.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~$3.50

$5? WTF?

no tax on milk

No. The price of dairy products is set by a gremium called the Dairy Board. They dictate (and I choose these words intentionally) how much milk is to be produced by whom. Excess production is to be "disposed of" - basically it goes into the nearest ditch, or the farmer gets fined. Know someone on the board, you get to make more money. They set the prices the farmers get paid, and the price the milk has in wholesale.

The result: 1/2 gallon of milk in the US is about $2.10. In Canada 2L (0.6 US Gal) of milk is something like $4.50.

This is similar to the Wheat Board system. Yes, Canada has a lot of boards.

There is little logic, and no due process. Kind of like the Canadian Human Rights Commission - it's basically a censorship body.

ETA: I have seen milk sold in 1L in bags in Germany, Brazil, and Argentina. The cardboard/metal long-shelf-life milk is not irradiated, it's ultra-pasteurized and kept in an aseptic packaging material called by its "tetra-pak" trade name. It's also sold stateside, generally by the Italian food conglomerate Parmalat. Your kids' fruit juices claiming "now with 10% juice!" on the box come in this packaging in the USA also.

Pretty good explanation except that a 2L carton of milk is around 2.80$ or there about.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#27]
In Canada, they do not serve Root Beer floats at A&W's.

ETA: They looked at me like an idiot when I explained it. They had never heard of such a thing.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#28]
This isn't news to me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Bet you could make a killing making a milk bag nipple adapter that looked like a wimminz nips. nom-nom.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Pretty good explanation except that a 2L carton of milk is around 2.80$ or there about.

Then you have it good in Quebec - last time I was in BC I remember them being more, although I was getting wrapped around the axle with the "should I compare 2L cartons or 4L jugs here" thing. They (the dairy boards) certainly would rather close the border to Canadian shoppers rather than lower their prices to compete, though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#31]
dairy/wheat boards=bunch of commies
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Back when we were still getting Carnation Milk delivered by the milkman, we got gallon bags.  Came in a box, you replaced the "lid" with a spigot, turned the box on it's side and there you go.  That was close to 40 years ago.  Lots of institutions get milk in several gallon bags.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#33]
those crazy peoples in Americas Hat  what will they think of next.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#34]
How long does that keep with the bag open just in the fridge? I can't believe those companies would choose to be so backwards.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How long does that keep with the bag open just in the fridge? I can't believe those companies would choose to be so backwards.

Since I live alone, a couple days. When I was younger and living with my parents and brother one meal. It wouldn't even go back in the fridge. It's a third of a gallon per pouch.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When I was a wee kid, we had a DAIRY BAR.  No kidding, IN THE HOUSE!  It was a crude refrigerator with TWO outlets for MILK that came in a box with a BAG stuffed in it...something like 4 gallons or so.  The bags stayed in the box with these flexible 1/2" hoses that came out...the hose was sealed and would be threaded through the "valve" which was just a big weight on the end of a lever.  This would pinch off the hose, stopping the flow.

Anyhow, there was room for storage for another 4 boxes of milk in the "bar".  And we would use it to store deer quarters during hunting season.

We had home delivery of milk, it was GOOD STUFF.  But with 5 kids, we went through the milk.

We had one of those at the church camp I went to as a kid.  2 taps for white milk and one for chocolate.  It was the coldest milk I have ever had.  Good memories.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I wouldn't call it backwards. It's just different and kinda cool. Hell, I want bagged milk now.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

ETA: They looked at me like an idiot when I explained it. They had never heard of such a thing.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#39]
The Swiss do it too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#40]
When I first ended up in Canada, I commented about these bags. I'm no longer allowed to talk about it with the wife around as she tired of hearing about it. Oh and at the store here in Windsor a 4L bag runs about $3.97 Canadian. Back in Ohio I can get a gallon of milk for $1.79 on sale. Milk is always expensive up here and never goes on sale.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I fucking said! I tried two A&Ws in two different provinces. I thought the first ones HAD to be fucking with the tourist.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#42]
The other Canadian milk bags

slightly past her expiration date.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Wow those are the same pitchers from when I was a kid in the early 70's
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Maybe it's because we're close to Canada, but the Kwik Trip line of convenience stores up here sells milk in bags.

true that. I was like, wait, they sell bag milk in MN
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#46]
The milk that is delivered to cafeterias is done so in a bag, here in the US.

–– I mean the milk that would be dispensed out of a machine of some sort.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In cows, milk comes in bags too.

Therefore, if milk comes in bags in both Canada and cows, Canada must BE a cow.

A giant, cold, lactating cow. A Holstein perhaps?

If we're under the cow, what does that make us?
the grass?

Quoted:
and this is why they will never be anything more than America's hat.

Quoted:

Mark my words, by 2012 Obama will have all Americans slurping milk out of a bag like some degenerate in a Québec City fag bar

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top