Welcome to 20 years ago.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Dairy Pillows
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Milk in a bag doesn't make any sense.

It comes out of a bag in the first place.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, hate to tell ya, but commercial packed milk in restaurants comes in bags too.

This is very true, but it almost makes sense...
because the milk dispensers are refrigerated units, and the bags have either a tube/straw or a plastic valve...
Which attaches the bag to the dispenser... for easy... dispensing.

Now in Canada, you're to put your bag into a pitcher.
This does not make sense, as bags with the corner cut off do not make good dispensers.

This was my biggest pet peeve about living in Canada. Fucking milk bags.

The bags don't reseal or anything like that...
Milk absorbs odors, so if you slam some bbq ribs into your fridge...
you get to enjoy some bbq cereal the next morning.

I ended up using spring-tensioned metal clips to "sorta seal" the bags.

I'm really glad I can buy plastic jugs of milk like a normal person again.

And fuck Canehda anyways. Eh, buddy, take off.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#5]
and this is why they will never be anything more than America's hat.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was a wee kid, we had a DAIRY BAR.  No kidding, IN THE HOUSE!  It was a crude refrigerator with TWO outlets for MILK that came in a box with a BAG stuffed in it...something like 4 gallons or so.  The bags stayed in the box with these flexible 1/2" hoses that came out...the hose was sealed and would be threaded through the "valve" which was just a big weight on the end of a lever.  This would pinch off the hose, stopping the flow.

Anyhow, there was room for storage for another 4 boxes of milk in the "bar".  And we would use it to store deer quarters during hunting season.

We had home delivery of milk, it was GOOD STUFF.  But with 5 kids, we went through the milk.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#7]

From what I've heard it's due to Canadian plastic packaging laws. Environmental regulations prevent those hard plastic containers because of the space they take up and how they don't degrade all that well. I know a Canadian couple who takes a bunch of Tupperware with them every time they visit friends and relatives back home.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

From what I've heard it's due to Canadian plastic packaging laws. Environmental regulations prevent those hard plastic containers because of the space they take up and how they don't degrade all that well. I know a Canadian couple who takes a bunch of Tupperware with them every time they visit friends and relatives back home.

The plot thickens.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Bags of Milk.    Milk Bags.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Bags of Milk.  
 Milk Bags.  

This reply is an udder disappointment.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

your info is wrong
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They sell it here commercially at least they did in the 80's the milk machines you use in restaurants or military chow halls use plastic bags. They have a rubber tube on the bottom of them which is pinched off by the dispensing arm of the milk dispenser.  Got stuck on mess duty a time or two in the Marines.

Yup, the only time I've seen milk in bags like that is at Basic Training and other Army DFAC's in the US.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They sell it here commercially at least they did in the 80's the milk machines you use in restaurants or military chow halls use plastic bags. They have a rubber tube on the bottom of them which is pinched off by the dispensing arm of the milk dispenser.  Got stuck on mess duty a time or two in the Marines.

Yep..I worked in a Navy chow hall when I was in high school.  Loaded a shit load of those 4 gallon bags in a box into the drink coolers.  If you cut the tube too soon....well I don't think I have to tell you what happens.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They sell it here commercially at least they did in the 80's the milk machines you use in restaurants or military chow halls use plastic bags. They have a rubber tube on the bottom of them which is pinched off by the dispensing arm of the milk dispenser. Got stuck on mess duty a time or two in the Marines.

Yup, the only time I've seen milk in bags like that is at Basic Training and other Army DFAC's in the US.

I grew up with a DOUBLE SPOUT in the house.  It was old hat in the Army.  The first time on KP, I amazed the mess SGT by telling him I knew how to do it.  Identical box, identical spout.  The mess SGT was impressed with my "cut at an angle so the hose drains properly" phrase.

I miss the milkman.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#16]
There's this place in Lancaster that sells milk and juice in bags.

That's probably just because it's Lancaster, but it's still not Canada.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#17]
milk in bags is retarded. just like canada. so, canada is the U.S.'s hat, and they bag their milk.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorta does, in public school we had tiny bags of milk we'd drink. I thought it was just a public school thing.

Yea we had those too
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
They sell it here commercially at least they did in the 80's the milk machines you use in restaurants or military chow halls use plastic bags. They have a rubber tube on the bottom of them which is pinched off by the dispensing arm of the milk dispenser. Got stuck on mess duty a time or two in the Marines.

I grew up with a DOUBLE SPOUT in the house.  It was old hat in the Army.  The first time on KP, I amazed the mess SGT by telling him I knew how to do it.  Identical box, identical spout.  The mess SGT was impressed with my "cut at an angle so the hose drains properly" phrase.

I miss the milkman.

Yeah....but.....you're.....old.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
In the opening bit of the Beatles Hard Days Night movie the manager buys a bag of milk from a vending machine. So the Brits had it since the 60's.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Milk is supposed to come in one of the following containers:

404 Milk in bags not found
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorta does, in public school we had tiny bags of milk we'd drink. I thought it was just a public school thing.

I remember we had cartons for the longest, then one day they replaced them with square bags of milk Never was the same.

ETA: Also went to school in LA, must have been a LA DoE thing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In Soviet Russia, bags come in milk.

In Russia milk does actually come in bags.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So what.....?

So what?!?!? So what?!?!?!?!?!?

Don't you get it man???????
The milk in bags??? Celine Dion???? The way they all try to look JUST LIKE US??????? Notice a pattern here? Eh?

The Arabs are a DIVERSION, that's a fricken costume party.
The Canadians are behind it, I tell ya's. They got their hands in everything. When the end comes, you'll find out too late! It was the filthy Canadians all along!!!
~
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what.....?

So what?!?!? So what?!?!?!?!?!?

Don't you get it man???????

The milk in bags??? Celine Dion???? The way they all try to look JUST LIKE US??????? Notice a pattern here? Eh?

The Arabs are a DIVERSION, that's a fricken costume party.

The Canadians are behind it, I tell ya's. They got their hands in everything. When the end comes, you'll find out too late! It was the filthy Canadians all along!!!

~

Paranoid much?

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#27]

My wife is an old bag and I like it,
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#28]
But the bags aren't shaped like tiny cows.

What a fucking sham
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#29]
If the milk lasts longer in smaller bags it makes sense. If not.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Gay? Or French-Canadian?

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#31]
what the fuck is this shit?!

I get my milk in cardboard cartons...

Powdered milk is literally the most evil creation
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Put me down for 10 bags.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I prefer jugs

+2  
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Put me down for 10 bags.

Glad I'm not the only one that wants to buy some milk bags.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Milk comes in bags in Brazil too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#36]
WTF ?

Where I'm at, milk comes in glass bottles, cardboard cartons or plastic jugs

I haven't seen milk in bags since like 1980.

Must be those eastern bastards
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I hate to tell you this folks, but the Pepsi, et al, that you drink in restaurants comes in bags too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#38]
i need pics of all the milk fun bags ,  NOW  !

pics

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I hate to tell you this folks, but the Pepsi, et al, that you drink in restaurants comes in bags too.

The syrup that they add carbonation and water to comes in bags.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Actually, they like to call them sacks. Fucking wacky Canadians.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The syrup that they add carbonation and water to comes in bags.

Yep.  

And let's not forget nacho cheese, ketchup, orange juice, some cooking oils, some ice creams....
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#42]
In cows, milk comes in bags too.

Therefore, if milk comes in bags in both Canada and cows, Canada must BE a cow.

A giant, cold, lactating cow. A Holstein perhaps?

If we're under the cow, what does that make us?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

your info is wrong

Could it possibly be different in BC?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I prefer jugs

I don't think I could handle a milk bag!

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#45]
When I was a kid we had a milkman deliver milk in glass bottles with those paper stoppers. When we were good mom would have the milkman deliver fruit punch in a glass jug. We had our bread delvered by the Helms Bakery man. Bought groceries every other week. Seems weird now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

your info is wrong

Could it possibly be different in BC?

Perhaps. They're all a bunch of smug pinko commie hippies over there
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:57:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know WHY they come in bags in Canada?
Think about this.

They had AM milk deliveries when I live in Quebec City, Canada.
They would deliver milk on your doorstep at 5AM. It used to be in Cartons.
In the Winter (which is from November to May in Quebec), if you did not retrieve your milk before it froze in the subzero temperatures, the milk would freeze and expand, rupturing the carton. The bags do not rupture as they can leave enough room for expansion.

It's a simple matter of practicality. I remember thinking it was weird when they switched, then the light bulb came on. No more gettting up at the crack of dawn to rescue your milk before certain death on the doorstep. Simple necessity drives many things.

There is the basic difference between America and Canada.  Americans see a busted milk carton and, "Fuck.  Guess we need a mildly bigger carton."  

Edit: I am wondering just how many Engineers I know are in the closet about being Canadian now

And instead some jackass executive tells the bottling plant to put in slightly less milk....
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not just Canada, much of Asia as well but FUCK CANADA anyway!!!!!!

Mark my words, by 2012 Obama will have all Americans slurping milk out of a bag like some degenerate in a Québec City fag bar

In Michigan there's Calder's Dairy. They still sell milk in glass bottles. Their chocolate milk and ice cream are both pretty damned good!
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The force is strong with this one.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The force is strong with this one.

Which force do you speak of?

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top