BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Move Michigan to the No-Go column.

1. You can own Machine Guns, but you cannot own SBRs, SBSs or supressors.
2. They have shall issue concealed carry, but you cannot carry a gun otherwise unless you are hunting. In fact, if you are driving in your car and you don't have a CHL then your gun must be in a case and in the trunk with your ammo in the glove box, or it is considered carrying a concealed weapon, which is a 5 year felony. Also, if you don't have a CHL, then you have to be a member of a shooting range to even transport a handgun in your car or it is also considered to be carrying a concealed weapon.
3. Taxes are numerous and high. High property taxes, sales tax is 6%, Income tax is 4%.
4. You can get land in the country, but most municipalities restrict what you can and can't do on it.
5. The economy is in the toilet and it has not hit bottom yet. Unemployment is 7%, houses are worthless and it's going to get worse before it gets better.
6. HUGE nanny state mentality. The welfare queen is practically the state bird.
7. There is huge corruption in local governments and they require permits and inspections for just about everything you would want to do on your own property. Hell, you can't even have a yard sale in most cities without a permit from the city.
8. Speaking of permits, if you want to buy a handgun without a CHL, then you have to have a purchase permit from the local police chief or sheriff. You also have to register your handguns. Also, anything under 29" (I think it's 29") is considered a pistol, so AK underfolders and alot of pistol grip shotguns have to be registered.
9. Winter sucks...BAD!

I fully agree! Everyone smart is leaving MI while they still can!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Colorado is full.

And we have continual droughts, West Nile virus, Hanta virus, and, worse yet, hordes of invading liberals.

Perhaps Wyoming?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd still like to hear (more) about the following states:
--------------------
Vermont
Georgia
Alabama
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Arkansas
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Idaho
Oregon

_MaH
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, Maine made the top of the "NO" pile? Jeez, now you've hurt my feelings!

In all honesty, Maine is a great state. The moonbats are largely relegated to Portland in the south, and the rest of us have free run of the state.

There are no firearms restrictions, CCW is easy and relatively cheap. You can have MGs, cans, SBRs, DDs, etc...

It does get cold up here, so I don't know how that would affect your tobacco enterprise.

But it is one of the best states for recreation, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc.

Oh, and don't forget; No poisonous spiders/snakes! Fun for the kids!

ETA: Oh, and we have the annual Hiram Maxim Machine Gun Shoot! It's the largest MG shoot on the east coast!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I currently live in the outskirts of DC (on the Virginia side, thank god) but even that's starting to become little protection from the blue wave that's sweeping over the area.  Thankfully our gun laws are among the best in the nation, but the rising taxes, congestion and overall population density are really starting to get to me.

Ideally I'd like to move to a much more rural area of VA, about 30 minutes or more worth of driving time to the closest thing which could be considered a "city" - though a nearby "town" would be quite nice!

Still, the thought is always in the back of my mind - If I had to leave Virginia, what state could I move to that would suit me just as well, if not better?

So sell me on your state!  Here's what I'm looking for -

- Conservative values
- Little to no infringement upon open and concealed carry
- No firearm restrictions (NFA, magazine capacity limits, AWB, etc...)
- Low taxes (for comparison, VA sales tax is 5%)
- A perceived sense of preserved liberty - meaning that there's nothing (at the state level, anyway) which makes you say "This is unconstitutional and infringes upon my liberty"
- (ETA) Ideally, I'd like a place where I could get a sizeable plot of land to grow crops and hunt on.

You might remember that I did a study of states along some firearm restriction lines a while back, which was met with much contention and ultimately a great need for revision.  So since you guys were so helpful with me on that matter, I'd like to see what you can offer me which would really get at the heart of the matter!

_MaH

Nevada my friend. End of story.

The values, even in "liberal" Las Vegas, are conservative. Not as much along the lines of Republicanism/Neo Conservatism, more like a hearty Classic Liberalism/Libertarianism. God, Family and Country.

With exception of Vegas/Henderson open carry is cool most places I have been here. most people don't bother though as CCW is rather easy to obtain. Open carry is good for hunting hiking though. Nothing like an AR or CETME strapped to your back while you hike in bear country.

No restrictions here. Clark County has a lame reg system, but nowhere else. Cash and carry, no reg etc. If you can buy it legally, you can own it. NFA items are easily obtainable if you start a Nv trust. No background check etc. Just keep the trust in good standing and you are cool.

Taxes? Property taxes are low, No state income tax, sales tax varies from area to area, 7.25ish in Reno. Car reg is a bit high.

State stays out of your personal life. There isn't even a complete citizen database. The only one is the DMV database, and that is full of holes and unreliable. Good state for privacy and freedoms.

80 flat acres off a major highway for 100k in Western NV sound good? That is expensive too as it is in the way of development that will be there in the next 10-20 years. You can get land out in Central NV for nothing. One NVHTF member bought 5 acres for like $3000usd in Rachel.

"Go west young man."
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top