BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
why don't y'all read the book?

It's only 120 pages. Even the arfcom intelligentsia can handle that.

Are there pictures?

Crayon drawings?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I've met Will, he is a pretty nice guy in person. Now, Tommy Lee Jones is an asshole. I was on the set with him for 3 days and his attitude stunk the whole time.

Quoted:
A good buddy of mine, his daughter worked on this movie as a fixer of sorts.  Set up shooting locations, hotels for the cast and crew, etc....

This is her second movie with Will Smith, and she reports he is genuinely a nice guy and is friendly with everyone on set, no matter the job.  And he apparently has the coolest trailer in the world.  She describes it as Transformer-like.

FWIW, it's always nice to hear that at least one of these Hollywood types is OK.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't know if I will see this movie.  If it has zombies, then I probably won't.

I can't get past the whole living in NYC thing; without a supply of clean water, no one can stay there.

Um, he's in Manahattan, which has major rivers to the east and west. Without all the people upstream dumping crap in the rivers they should be pretty clean in a matter of weeks. In the meantime, you can always boil your water...

They are not zombies, but virus induced quasi-vampires
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've met Will, he is a pretty nice guy in person. Now, Tommy Lee Jones is an asshole. I was on the set with him for 3 days and his attitude stunk the whole time.

TLJ is probably still suffering PTSD from being Al Gore's college roommate.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TLJ is probably still suffering PTSD from being Al Gore's college roommate.

suffering hell

he is proud of it and revels in it
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A good buddy of mine, his daughter worked on this movie as a fixer of sorts.  Set up shooting locations, hotels for the cast and crew, etc....

This is her second movie with Will Smith, and she reports he is genuinely a nice guy and is friendly with everyone on set, no matter the job.  And he apparently has the coolest trailer in the world.  She describes it as Transformer-like.

FWIW, it's always nice to hear that at least one of these Hollywood types is OK.

When & why & how did you meet TLJ?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was trying to figure why they showed an SR71 on an aircraft carrier

USS Intrepid (Aircraft carrier deployed in WWII, Korea and Vietnam & NASA recovery) Museum, in NYC on/in the Hudson River near-ish the Chelsea Docks. Its a pretty cool museum, its currently in NJ in dry dock/getting a work over. Should be back in berth in a few months. They also have an F-14, a bunch of 50's vintage Grumman jets, and a concord on a barge right next to the tin can which is next to the Fighting I.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was trying to figure why they showed an SR71 on an aircraft carrier

i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Gatordonald/nimitz.jpg?t=1196779445

They took the A-3 off the deck to put the fucking SR-71 on it.
Complete asshattedness, removing a true carrier aircraft from a carrier to put an Air Force jet on it.  

www.a3skywarrior.com/PG32photos/DSCF8234.JPG

www.a3skywarrior.com/PG32photos/DSCF9380.JPG

www.a3skywarrior.com/PG32photos/Dscf9408.jpg

It's NOT an Air Force SR-71!!!

It's a CIA A-12!!!

That's just as bad as calling a magazine a clip!

There is a DIFFERENCE!
www.air-and-space.com/20060213%20Palmdale/DSC_2981%20SR-71A%2061-7973%20right%20front%20A-12%2060-6924%20left%20front%20l.jpg
See: Air Force SR-71 on the left. The SR-71 has a crew of two (note extra window behind cockpit. The SR-71 has wider and more distinctive chines extending from the nose along the sides of the fuselage. The SR-71 also has a longer and more robust "tail" than the A-12.
The CIA A-12 has a crew of only one and has the smaller chines and tail. (Tails not visible in this pic.)

The USS Intrepid has an A-12, not an SR-71 on its deck. Will Smith is teeing-off from an A-12!

Got it! Good!

And...morelikely they took the A-3 off because it's being restored, not because they didn't want it in the movie. The A-12 has been on the deck of the ship  since the museum as far as I know...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm wearing my body armor and taking my M4.

No zombie is going to get ME on the way out of that theater.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#11]
tubs=safety net in house (vs an open bed) i guess
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know if I will see this movie.  If it has zombies, then I probably won't.

I can't get past the whole living in NYC thing; without a supply of clean water, no one can stay there.

Um, he's in Manahattan, which has major rivers to the east and west. Without all the people upstream dumping crap in the rivers they should be pretty clean in a matter of weeks. In the meantime, you can always boil your water...

What do you plan to use for fuel?  What if the bad guys key on your fire?  How you gonna get water to a safe place to heat it?  The rivers are still polluted from the industrial waste and all the wild animals running loose; drinking that would nail the coffing shut sooner than necessary.

I'm thinking a low profile in a locale with a mild temperature and favorable conditions for keeping yourself fed is a better method.  Keep your eyes out for a female survivor, and in the mean time live out your life as best you can alone.

I suggest that you read the book.  All of your questions are answered.

The vampires go into a sort of coma during the day, so he can go wherever he wants to go in the city, gathering food, BOTTLED WATER, and whatever else he needs to survive.  He gets fuel from gas stations, and also has some stored in drums.  

In the book, Neville has fortified his house and rigged up a generator for power.  If you were the only man left on earth, and the plague took people over so quickly that they didn't worry about things like water, food, and fuel, there would be plenty of supplies in a place as big as New York City.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Alright....

I've never read the book, so please tell me if I'm way off base here.

The basic plot is:

Some sort of horrific infection/virus/zombie creatures/etc sweep through the planet. Ordinary guy is minding his own business when the badness hits.

Ordinary guy somehow miraculously becomes the lone survivor of the fate that befalls the rest of humanity at least in the greater NYC area. (I would assume this includes Scarsdale, right?)

Guy must now find a way to survive in this brave new world. The film follows our intrepid hero as he learns how to fight and survive and perhaps encounters some other survivors and they begin to rebuild the human race.....

Am I close?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The vampires go into a sort of coma during the day, so he can go wherever he wants to go in the city, gathering food, BOTTLED WATER, and whatever else he needs to survive.  He gets fuel from gas stations, and also has some stored in drums.  

In the book, Neville has fortified his house and rigged up a generator for power.  If you were the only man left on earth, and the plague took people over so quickly that they didn't worry about things like water, food, and fuel, there would be plenty of supplies in a place as big as New York City.  

In Vincent Price's Last Man On Earth and Omega Man, the "vampires" are not dumb, shambling creatures.

Why wouldn't they work on destroying all food, water, fuel, etc. near Neville's fortress?

In the I Am Legend trailer, we see Smith getting corn.  Easy target... one fine night, burn down the cornfield.

Also, bottled water and canned food are only good for so long.  Seeing as how the "zombies" aren't an industrialized society (even with lots of technology lying around for the picking), I'd be thinking road trip... rather than stay in one spot, and have a group of zombies know and hate me and plot to kill me, keep moving... keep my head down, try to avoid stirring up the natives, etc while I look for other survivors.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Am I close?

Sorta, but no.

Read the book.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All I know is they better not kill the fucking dog.

Better not see it then.

I am disturbed and angered by the trend in Hollywood to start killing the dog characters.  It used to be verbotten to kill the dog character, but now a days....

I hope he kills a couple hundred for killing his dog.  I had hoped they named the dog Caesar in honor of the Omega Man, but apparently the Dog is named Sam.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The dog dies in the original book, why wouldn't he die in the movie?

Kind of amazing that 99% of the human race dies, the rest (with notable exceptions) turn into vampire-zombies, and we get upset about one dog.

SPOILER FOLLOWS

It is my understanding that people with AB negative blood types are immune to the plague.  

Also, the dog was at one time scripted to "turn" and Neville can't bring himself to kill him so he frees it at a distance.  Later, the dog, after turning, saves Neville from the human zombie-vampires.

These might and might not have survived editing and revisions.

Doubt it, otherwise all animals would turn.  We obviously see deer, lions etc in the previews so I doubt they went down this road.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Vincent Price's Last Man On Earth and Omega Man, the "vampires" are not dumb, shambling creatures.

Why wouldn't they work on destroying all food, water, fuel, etc. near Neville's fortress?

In the I Am Legend trailer, we see Smith getting corn.  Easy target... one fine night, burn down the cornfield.

Also, bottled water and canned food are only good for so long.  Seeing as how the "zombies" aren't an industrialized society (even with lots of technology lying around for the picking), I'd be thinking road trip... rather than stay in one spot, and have a group of zombies know and hate me and plot to kill me, keep moving... keep my head down, try to avoid stirring up the natives, etc while I look for other survivors.

Read the book.

The vampires are mildly intelligent.  They aren't as smart as they were when they were human, but they aren't zombies either.  Their main goal is finding fresh blood, not to destroy Neville.  If they starve him and he dies inside his fortified home, they would never get to him.  They are more interested in drawing him outside at night than killing him.  He wonders, in the book, why they haven't tried to burn his house down but figures that they don't like fire.

If you take a road trip, what are you gonna do when the sun goes down?  Easy answer... you would die.

You're right, bottled water and canned food are only good for so long, but the time frame of the story was only 3 years.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Notice the light they're using???  Okay so mine doesn't have the laser on it...but Pentagon's!

The rail is a YHM

i113.photobucket.com/albums/n226/muhtalicbloo/DSC01195.jpg

Sounds like a gear queer comment, I expected more from you.

Exactly, nothing wrong with YHM.  They are weapons parts intended for real weapons.  Just targeting the lower cost end of the market, and you trade off cost for weight of their rails.

Otherwise great gear.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The dog dies in the original book, why wouldn't he die in the movie?

Kind of amazing that 99% of the human race dies, the rest (with notable exceptions) turn into vampire-zombies, and we get upset about one dog.

SPOILER FOLLOWS

It is my understanding that people with AB negative blood types are immune to the plague.  

Also, the dog was at one time scripted to "turn" and Neville can't bring himself to kill him so he frees it at a distance.  Later, the dog, after turning, saves Neville from the human zombie-vampires.

These might and might not have survived editing and revisions.

Doubt it, otherwise all animals would turn.  We obviously see deer, lions etc in the previews so I doubt they went down this road.

There are vampire dogs in the book and in one of the movie trailers.  Deer and lions are fast enough to get away.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

gotta love the fact that 3 out of 7 claim this movie sucks and 1 out of the remaining 4 has no idea what it is about

the other 3 are like me and hold out hope  

Will Smith, not the book, is what will make this movie suck.

He screwed up I, Robot perhaps one of the greatest Sci-Fi works ever penned. How much more so pulp-fiction like I Am Legend?

I liked Will Smith in I Robot.  I liked him in Independence Day.  Maybe it is because I to make sarcastic comments all the time.

I realize that movies are based on, not strict screen adaptations of the books they come from.  Thus a little interpretation and leeway is acceptable.

Why the hell would you want to watch the EXACT same movie as The Omega Man or the Original Boris Karloff version anyway?  If you want to see those version, buy them off Amazon.com and be done with it
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
From the previews it shows him with the dog in the tub, hunkered down.

I was wondering if the vamps have guns requiring a cast iron tub or if they have some sort of vision enhancement that allow them to see thru walls?

Explosives tied to trip wires or booby traps. Sleep in the tub to survive the blast  because you are not smart enough to take up shop inside a federal reserve bank vault. (every major U.S. city has one)
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Been a while since i read the book, and I haven't checked out the movie too closely, but how about this for symbolism:

He is to the vampires what they are to him. He is the creature that kills them in their sleep, as they would gladly do to him. In the classic vampire myth, the creature always returns to his "coffin" to sleep the day away in security.  Is the tub actually his symbolic coffin?

What do you think?

check out the brain on FatMan!

No lie.

Dude, what if our universe is really a grain of sand in another being's fingernail?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you plan to use for fuel?  What if the bad guys key on your fire?  How you gonna get water to a safe place to heat it?  The rivers are still polluted from the industrial waste and all the wild animals running loose; drinking that would nail the coffing shut sooner than necessary.

I'm thinking a low profile in a locale with a mild temperature and favorable conditions for keeping yourself fed is a better method.  Keep your eyes out for a female survivor, and in the mean time live out your life as best you can alone.

Two words: bottled water.

How much bottled water do you think there is in Manhattan?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think Aero is approaching this from a zombie-movie point of view.

Aero... the vampires sleep during the day.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Let's go over this one more time.

They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.
They're not zombies.

Are we clear on this?

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think Aero is approaching this from a zombie-movie point of view.

Aero... the vampires sleep during the day.  

Naw, I'm just skeptical that NYC would be in my top 10000 or so choices of places on the planet to survive after a catastrophe.  It's cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and everything is either made out of concrete or covered in concrete, so it's too big or too heavy for me to manipulate.

All I know about the movie is from the ads.  There are deer in the city, and apparently the lions escaped the zoo and are doing well.  Also, there's a dummy standing in the street in one scene that gets mowed down by our beloved M-16.  "Tax this, dummy!"

One piece of the story you can see in the theatrical trailers was the fact that they were trying to quarantine Manhattan. They show aircraft flying over taking out the bridges and there was talk about boats.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better not see it then.

I am disturbed and angered by the trend in Hollywood to start killing the dog characters.  It used to be verbotten to kill the dog character, but now a days....

I hope he kills a couple hundred for killing his dog.  I had hoped they named the dog Caesar in honor of the Omega Man, but apparently the Dog is named Sam.

Yeah, Old Yeller never really died in the movie did he? The rabies vaccine saved his life and good ol Louie overnighted it to him in time.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm AB+.

Better start loading mags.

The blood type o'truth!

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#36]
They killed the dog. Don't think I can watch it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Just go out and read the book.

The book was written in the 50's and it is set in 1976.

In the book he was bitten by a bat and that is why he survived the plague.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#38]
the "zombies" are more like stoners that just can't seem to get anything accomplished during the daytime

they prove to be fairly adaptable and clever

now go read the book before I post spoilers without warnings.

(if you all would stop reading Tom Clancy and similar stupid crap, you'd have read this already)
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
the "zombies" are more like stoners that just can't seem to get anything accomplished during the daytime

they prove to be fairly adaptable and clever

now go read the book before I post spoilers without warnings.

(if you all would stop reading Tom Clancy and similar stupid crap, you'd have read this already)

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

gotta love the fact that 3 out of 7 claim this movie sucks and 1 out of the remaining 4 has no idea what it is about

He screwed up I, Robot perhaps one of the greatest Sci-Fi works ever penned. How much more so pulp-fiction like I Am Legend?

I liked Will Smith in I Robot.  I liked him in Independence Day.  Maybe it is because I to make sarcastic comments all the time.

I realize that movies are based on, not strict screen adaptations of the books they come from.  Thus a little interpretation and leeway is acceptable.

Why the hell would you want to watch the EXACT same movie as The Omega Man or the Original Boris Karloff version anyway?  If you want to see those version, buy them off Amazon.com and be done with it

Would you watch it if Dat Phan was the lead playing his Vietnamese schtick? How about Cheech Marin doing his "heeeey vato" schtik?

Will Smith is no different than the above..."Oh naw you di'nt"
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Tornado?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I drive by TLJ,s' ranch everyday on the way to work
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Pretty close.

Do you mean that you've never seen "The Omega Man" with Chuck Heston?

Nope.

I've only seen Moses in the movie about the stone tablets he smashed and the movie where he had a bunch of out of control monkeys on the ark.....
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

If it doesn't have to do with regression analysis or finding the equation of a tangent line, I ain't got time to read it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it doesn't have to do with regression analysis or finding the equation of a tangent line, I ain't got time to read it.

I'll repost it because it's the truth

Explosives tied to trip wires or booby traps. Sleep in the tub to survive the blast because you are not smart enough to take up shop inside a federal reserve bank vault. (every major U.S. city has one)

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better not see it then.

Yeah, Old Yeller never really died in the movie did he? The rabies vaccine saved his life and good ol Louie overnighted it to him in time.

I disliked Ole Yeller.  Dumbass kid, if he could sing an ax wouldn't have hit his dog.

Thus if he would have killed the wildcat, Yeller wouldn't have gotten rabbies.

Why didn't Yeller have a rabies vaccine in the first place.

Fucking Disney ruining my childhood!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you watch it if Dat Phan was the lead playing his Vietnamese schtick? How about Cheech Marin doing his "heeeey vato" schtik?

Yes, yes I would.

But seriously Will Smith has a bit more range than Cheech man.

Whats with the hate man.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, yes I would.

But seriously Will Smith has a bit more range than Cheech man.

Whats with the hate man.

If the lead was going to be African American then Jamie Lee Fox or Denzel Washington would have been better choices.

I can't believe the lead for this movie has a resume filled with Wild, Wild West, MIB I & II, Inependence Day, I, Robot and Bad Boys I & II

I'm tired of this thread, I think I'm gonna go put on my "vintage 2004" converse, grab the keys to my Audi and grab a six pack of Dos Equis.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Interesting that you bring up other racial stereotypes... Your ass is showing.

Why exactly do you have a problem with Will Smith again?

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top