Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a slab-side Mark II. I can take it apart and put it together, but getting the bolt to engage, well, that's where the fun comes in.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do it by placing the lower in a box, and wearing a sheet over my head.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Might as well leave some room on your "hate” list for EugeneStoner when you go it install a front pivot pin on an AR lower and shoot thedetent into low earth orbit.

They make a simple little tool for that and if you aren't using the tool then you are doing it wrong.

when i built ARs I did the lower in a box too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Might as well leave some room on your "hate” list for EugeneStoner when you go it install a front pivot pin on an AR lower and shoot thedetent into low earth orbit.

View Quote

work inside a clear trash bag.  It'll catch it when you fuck up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#5]
"Took about an hour to get it back together. I followed the instructions to the letter."

One of these statements is not true.

Yes, Rugers are hard to put back together...but not if you follow and understand the directions.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I took apart and reassembled my new Ruger Mark III. Took about an hour to get it back together. I followed the instructions to the letter. The problem is the barrel assembly hole would not line up with the frame hole, no matter how hard I banged the upper into place. The disassembly pin required a hammer and brass punch to remove and install. Then the fooking spring collar would not center over the pin, so I needed four hands to handle that problem. Then after getting it all together, I found the gun would not cycle because the friggin hammer strut swung on top of the mainspring housing during all the hammering to get the pin back in. So I had to disassemble and do it again. It is now back together and working, but holy fooking shit!
View Quote

I agree send that POS to me. I'm the President of the I hate Bill Ruger and all Mark Series pistols should be thrown in the garbage can Club.

Just wait till you get drunk and decide to do a trigger polish job on your 22/45.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#7]
all hate for Bill Ruger should be the 10 rd magazine myth/bullshite..
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP=Fail=Douche
View Quote

Harsh!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd say Bill Ruger had nothing to do with that design...his designers did. Yes they suck get over it!
View Quote

BZZZZZT.  Wrong.  Bill Ruger actually personally designed the Mark I version.  Prior to starting his own company with Alex Sturm, he was a designer for Springfield Armory (the goverment facility) and then Auto-Ordnance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Unless you are having problems there is no reason to take an MK series down. I have had a MKI since the mid 70's and took it down exactly one time in the mid 90's, and this was to just freshen up the springs (didn't really need them, but I did it anyway). Other than that all I do is lock the bolt back, spray it out, drag a bore snake through it, wipe it down...done.

I think the biggest flaw in the design is just having that little lever exposed on the grip inviting people to open it up.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Now get the  bushing to eliminate the mag disconnect and install it. i must have taken my MKIII apart and reassembled it for 2 straight hours. You need to get 3 fingers inside the gun  to keep parts from falling out. I can't imagine putting them together all day. It HAS to be women doing it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is why they made spray brake cleaner so you don't have to take the Ruger Mark III apart.
View Quote

They also make a wonderful invention that takes all the pain out of it.
Just remove one bolt and the whole bolt assembly comes out for cleaning.
It also improves the trigger and removes the magazine safety block.
A win for all areas as far as I am concerned.

ETA: Majestic Arms
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm sorry, but if you cant put a Ruger Mk I II or III back together maybe you should just get a bat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Strangely enough, I have never has this happen to me. I line up the pivot pin with the flat facing down, the round part pushing the detent into the hole. Once you get the pin started, simply rotate.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make a simple little tool for that and if you aren't using the tool then you are doing it wrong.

I thought I was the only one who did that???
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#18]
It is a right of passage for a gun owner to disassemble and reassemble a Ruger 22 pistol.  Until you have mastered this simple act, you cannot truly call yourself a shooter.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I boiled down my frustration on my MKIII to the act of pulling the trigger on the firearm at least twice during dissassembly and assembly.
Once I got that figured out, I wrote down my own instructions and left it in the gun case. It is the only gun that I had to do a writeup on because I had to reference youtube each time I cleaned it. I still think it is a great gun though.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I have an extra Ruger Mk Ii because of the reassembly "problem". A guy took it apart and when he tried to get it back together he locked it up to where the bolt wouldn't move and the gun was useless. He gave it to a friend of his who later gave it to me. I got it back apart and reassembled it right and it's now a great little pistol.

When you don't do it right, the whole thing locks up and to the uninitiated it's just a doorstop.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top