Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2013 8:12:47 AM EDT
I took apart and reassembled my new Ruger Mark III. Took about an hour to get it back together. I followed the instructions to the letter. The problem is the barrel assembly hole would not line up with the frame hole, no matter how hard I banged the upper into place. The disassembly pin required a hammer and brass punch to remove and install. Then the fooking spring collar would not center over the pin, so I needed four hands to handle that problem. Then after getting it all together, I found the gun would not cycle because the friggin hammer strut swung on top of the mainspring housing during all the hammering to get the pin back in. So I had to disassemble and do it again. It is now back together and working, but holy fooking shit!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#1]
First post in a Ruger reassembly fail thread!

Seriously, I own four of them, and I can disassemble and reassemble in seconds.

You're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.
View Quote

I'm sure it is easy IF the holes on the barrel assembly and frame line up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been lucky enough where I don't have to take my MK1 apart. Ever
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Might as well leave some room on your "hate” list for Eugene
Stoner when you go it install a front pivot pin on an AR lower and shoot the
detent into low earth orbit.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#5]
This is why they made spray brake cleaner so you don't have to take the Ruger Mark III apart.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Might as well leave some room on your "hate” list for EugeneStoner when you go it install a front pivot pin on an AR lower and shoot thedetent into low earth orbit.

View Quote

They make a simple little tool for that and if you aren't using the tool then you are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sometimes asked by "normal" people why I love military-styled weapons so much. Maintenance is probably the chief reason. With a few exceptions, they tend to be MUCH easier to tear apart and reassemble.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#8]
All the MK's suck when cleaning.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:21:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

Do it Johnny Cash style. Drill it out so that it will fit , and with a little help from an adapter kit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They make a simple little tool for that and if you aren't using the tool then you are doing it wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Might as well leave some room on your "hate” list for EugeneStoner when you go it install a front pivot pin on an AR lower and shoot thedetent into low earth orbit.

Yes, it's called a ziploc bag.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do it by placing the lower in a box, and wearing a sheet over my head.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#12]
When I first got mine it was what I would call overly difficult to dissasmble/assemble what I did was take some emery cloth to the "hook" in the frame that holds the barrel till I could remove and install it by hand. It's still snug and takes some pushing but I don't have to whack on it with a hammer anymore...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd say Bill Ruger had nothing to do with that design...his designers did. Yes they suck get over it!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#14]
the dis/assembly is not worth the fine and sweet shooting.

absolutely not worth it.

it's a pass.

I'll repeat my dare to those who would make fun of you.

I want to see a youtube video where you sit in front of the camera for 5 minutes doing nothing, then take it apart and put it together on the first time with no mishaps and no "that's normal" and no "it takes a few times" and no "I didn't set it up right".

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#15]
The problem is the barrel assembly hole would not line up with the frame hole, no matter how hard I banged the upper into place.
View Quote
I had a MKII that was so tight, I had to buy a 2-lb nylon dead-blow hammer just for that. I had to really wind up and knock the fuck out of it to get the two halves together.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#16]
No honest man needs more than 10 rounds. Fuck him and my mark 2 's were miserable and are long sold.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've always just used a phillips screwdriver the same size as the pin. No problems.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is why they made spray brake cleaner so you don't have to take the Ruger Mark III apart.
View Quote

So true,I thinking have only taken one apart in the past 15 years and that was enough
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That tool is awsome!

Keep doing it - the more times its removed the easier it is to do next time.  At least that is what they tell me - Ive only done it one or twice in 15+ years.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#21]
It's just not that hard.
I'm mechanically inept and I can do it.

Find a youtube video and do it a couple times.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I knew exactly what this was going to be about before i even clicked it....
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I was sitting in the local gun shop last week and a guy walks in with his Ruger pistol all jammed up because he could not get it together. After I unstuck it about 30 seconds later he was good to go.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't take 'em apart much is the key.
With the MKIII take it apart once to get rid of the lawyer mods- mag. safety, loaded chamber indicator, and security lock. Then just wipe it down occasionally to clean since you can't get any ammo to dirty it up with anyways.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I took apart and reassembled my new Ruger Mark III. Took about an hour to get it back together. I followed the instructions to the letter. The problem is the barrel assembly hole would not line up with the frame hole, no matter how hard I banged the upper into place. The disassembly pin required a hammer and brass punch to remove and install. Then the fooking spring collar would not center over the pin, so I needed four hands to handle that problem. Then after getting it all together, I found the gun would not cycle because the friggin hammer strut swung on top of the mainspring housing during all the hammering to get the pin back in. So I had to disassemble and do it again. It is now back together and working, but holy fooking shit!
View Quote

Like a lot of things, it will loosen up after you bang it some more.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I want to know why I can own a gun for 25 years and never do anything except field strip it for cleaning *.

but everyone else has to strip their guns down to the smallest part and hermetically clean every single piece

I guess I have magic gun powers

I'm glad you guys hate revolvers, I'd hate to think of some pre-mim smith getting pryed apart and tortured every time it was shot.  

As opposed to the actual required maintenance disassembly schedule of "never".

* - ARs not included
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Bill Ruger is fucking with from beyond the grave.  Use bigger hammer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Owner of the gun store where I bought mine showed me how to take the 22/45 Mk2 apart, and put it back together.  I don't have to clean it very often (i dont shoot this one all that often), so it takes me a couple minutes to remember how to get it back together, but it goes smooth.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I often wonder how many times a MK series was brought into a gun shop half disassembled in pieces in a shoebox for trade after an unsuccessful cleaning.
I remember wayyyyy back when. I took mine apart for the first time and swore I'd sell the thing if I ever got it back together.

Could never bring myself to do it though, because of the performance of the pistol.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#31]
LOL, i disassembled mine about 15 years ago, never did it again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#32]
All you have to do is flip it upside down, then backside up as you are closing the main spring assembly.  Works every time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Buckmark > Mark III

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Razor blade fixes that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
the dis/assembly is not worth the fine and sweet shooting.

absolutely not worth it.

it's a pass.

I'll repeat my dare to those who would make fun of you.

I want to see a youtube video where you sit in front of the camera for 5 minutes doing nothing, then take it apart and put it together on the first time with no mishaps and no "that's normal" and no "it takes a few times" and no "I didn't set it up right".

View Quote

Challenge accepted.

If I do it, what do we win from you?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#36]
It's easy once you get the hang of it.

These tutorials will help. Click the pictures to enlarge.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/service.html

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I want to know why I can own a gun for 25 years and never do anything except field strip it for cleaning *.

but everyone else has to strip their guns down to the smallest part and hermetically clean every single piece

I guess I have magic gun powers

I'm glad you guys hate revolvers, I'd hate to think of some pre-mim smith getting pryed apart and tortured every time it was shot.  

As opposed to the actual required maintenance disassembly schedule of "never".

* - ARs not included
View Quote

To be fair, you really do need to patch the bore occasionally to get the best accuracy out of a rimfire pistol.

Before the advent of the Otis or BoreSnake, that meant a cleaning rod.

That meant either inserting through the muzzle and trying to get a patch on through the tiny little ejection port, or else pulling the bolt.

It's easier to just pull the bolt.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#39]
There are so many other legitimate reasons to hate Bill Ruger...don't rely on that one.  

Although the Mk .22 pistols, while excellent, are an unnecessary pain in the ass to reassemble.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

There is a little trick I found if the holes are hard to line up.   Run the pin that comes up from the bottom in from the top first, by lightly tapping it through with a plastic or rubber mallet.  

That forces the upper and lower into alignment.

Makes it much easier to push through from the bottom afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#41]
I've put literally tens of thousands of rounds through a MkII and have never disassembled it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't find a clevis pin, and I wasn't going to wait to have one or that tool shipped.  So I bought a quarter inch dowel rod, cut it down to four inches in length, drilled a hole through it and sanded it down.

Twenty-five cents plus ten minutes of my time, and it works great.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#43]
I was cussing the old bastard the last time I tried to get a Mk I apart, only to find the pin had drifted out of the mainspring assembly inside the frame and would not let it come out.  Had to drill a hole in the frame so I could get at the pin to drift it back in.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Majestic arms speed strip kit!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I can get my mk3 22/45 apart and back together in a minute or 2 now

THE FIRST TIME THOUGH SUCKED!

damn near had to use a sledge hammer to get the thing apart
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Razor blade fixes that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Razor blade fixes that.

That's how I do it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The holes did line up.  If they hadn't lined up, the gun wouldn't have been functional in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

The holes did line up.  If they hadn't lined up, the gun wouldn't have been functional in the first place.

If the holes lined up perfectly, then the pin would have come out easily. That was not the case. I had to drive the disassembly pin out with a brass punch. It was just as hard to reinsert the disassembly pin. This disassembly pin is supposed to pull out and reinsert with hand pressure.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know how to do it… I was talking to the OP.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

Did you buy it disassembled?  I doubt it.  Fail.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top