Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Yeah the water thing wasn't the greatest idea but if you can get past that it's a great movie.

How can you get past the main plot "twist"? So fucking stupid. Naked aliens invade a planet covered in a substance deadly to them, (good thing there wasn't any dew) attack beings that can spit poison at them, and the dumbest thing of all; a farmer that doesn't own a shotgun.

That movie is flat terrible, and all the rest of Shamalamadingdongs movies since the one with the kid that sees dead people have gotten progressively worse.
It's like watching movies written by & for kindergarteners.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I only saw it once right after it first was released, but as I recall I liked it, flaws and all. You had to suspend your disbelief. That it was a "fairy tale" seems a good way to describe it. I should watch it again to see if I feel the same way about it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree, I love Signs and I used to love m. night shyamalan.  His last few have been way to bad though.  The last one I liked was The Village.  I actually walked out of the movie theatre on Lady in the Water
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah the water thing wasn't the greatest idea but if you can get past that it's a great movie.

How can you get past the main plot "twist"? So fucking stupid. Naked aliens invade a planet covered in a substance deadly to them, (good thing there wasn't any dew) attack beings that can spit poison at them, and the dumbest thing of all; a farmer that doesn't own a shotgun.

Yeah.  Hard to enjoy for the reasons you mentioned.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My grandfather was a dairy farmer and did not own a gun. Bunch of farmers in my family and I'm not sure who did have a gun. Little unusual, but not that weird.  

Maybe for New York.

I would have been a 4th generation farmer in a family full of farmers, and grew up in and around a tiny farming town. (pop 2,000 in the Texas panhandle)

I'm not sure I knew anyone who didn't have at least a shotgun among our friends and family.  Family I know was all armed.  All the friends I can think of were too.  

I'm sure there was one or two oddballs who didn't own anything, but they were the very rare exception, not the rule, not even common enough to be unusual.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I've found it's very much a love it or hate it movie. This thread is right in line with that.

The farmhouse in that movie is almost identical to the one my grandparents had when I was a kid. I would stay with them for a couple weeks every summer. The scene with the creaking/thumping on the roof and porch outside turns my stomach. Jumped at the alien-on-tv-in-Brazil scene. The use of the wind in that impending-doom-storm-front way.  The pacing of the revelations is perfect.

Probably the only movie that has ever actually made me feel physical fear.

It's not science fiction, you guys. Get over it. The movie is about the feel, not about the plot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I liked it.  Although I think Unbreakable was his best movie followed closely by Sixth Sense.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#10]
i like it and watch it every time i see it on..
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#11]
First third, decent.
Second third, shaky.
Final third? Abysmally retarded.

Overall? Bad movie.

Had you never seen an alien and the movie was about how a man who lost his faith regained it amidst chaos (with all the alien stuff happening off camera) it would have been an ok movie.  Unfortunately, MNS isn't that good a writer. He shot his wad on one decent (not outstanding) movie and leveraged that into several paychecks for terrible films.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Water is what got the Triffids too. Late sixties movie.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've found it's very much a love it or hate it movie. This thread is right in line with that.

The farmhouse in that movie is almost identical to the one my grandparents had when I was a kid. I would stay with them for a couple weeks every summer. The scene with the creaking/thumping on the roof and porch outside turns my stomach. Jumped at the alien-on-tv-in-Brazil scene. The use of the wind in that impending-doom-storm-front way.  The pacing of the revelations is perfect.

It's not science fiction, you guys. Get over it. The movie is about the feel, not about the plot.

Wait, so it's like an amusement park ride? It's supposed to be about the experience? I mean I probably wouldn't complain about the plot of a roller coaster, but that's because it's a roller coaster and not a movie. Movies have plots and characters. Stuff happens that advances the story line and makes the characters mature. They learn things (or don't) and hopefully we form a bond with them and want them to succeed.

All that build up without a good story or relatable characters is just schlock.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I came in here thinking of "Contact" with Jodie Foster and I was going to say "FUCK YOU! NO IT IS NOT!"

But, different movie, so... It was decent.  I enjoyed it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I came in here thinking of "Contact" with Jodie Foster and I was going to say "FUCK YOU! NO IT IS NOT!"

But, different movie, so... It was decent.  I enjoyed it.

Contact had some good moments and a lot of potential, but also NOPE.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#16]
If you can get past a gaping plot hole like the water thing, not to mention the rest of them, I don't see how you could dislike any movie.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#17]
On a related note the only movies that actually scare me are the ones with big headed black eyed gray aliens. Don't know why but the thought of those little fuckers in my house scares the shit out of me.

Had a guy call 911 flipping the fuck out because he said there was an alien in his house. Guess who got dispatched? You know the guy is mental but can't get the thought out of your head of "what the fuck do I do if there really is one in there?"
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My grandfather was a dairy farmer and did not own a gun. Bunch of farmers in my family and I'm not sure who did have a gun. Little unusual, but not that weird.  

Maybe for New York.

I would have been a 4th generation farmer in a family full of farmers, and grew up in and around a tiny farming town. (pop 2,000 in the Texas panhandle)

I'm not sure I knew anyone who didn't have at least a shotgun among our friends and family.  Family I know was all armed.  All the friends I can think of were too.  

I'm sure there was one or two oddballs who didn't own anything, but they were the very rare exception, not the rule, not even common enough to be unusual.

Yeah, my FIL is a hobby farmer, and he has guns for coyotes & to put cattle down even though he isn't a shooter. My uncle was a dairy farmer and he always had a shotgun on his tractor. Never met one that didn't have one.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you can get past a gaping plot hole like the water thing, not to mention the rest of them, I don't see how you could dislike any movie.  

That's not a plot hole. That's the plot!
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
First third, decent.
Second third, shaky.
Final third? Abysmally retarded.

Overall? Bad movie.

Had you never seen an alien and the movie was about how a man who lost his faith regained it amidst chaos (with all the alien stuff happening off camera) it would have been an ok movie.  Unfortunately, MNS isn't that good a writer. He shot his wad on one decent (not outstanding) movie and leveraged that into several paychecks for terrible films.

If it had just been grape juice that the little girl left around & killed the aliens it would have at least been bearable, but Sham was too stupid to realize it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, so it's like an amusement park ride? It's supposed to be about the experience? I mean I probably wouldn't complain about the plot of a roller coaster, but that's because it's a roller coaster and not a movie. Movies have plots and characters. Stuff happens that advances the story line and makes the characters mature. They learn things (or don't) and hopefully we form a bond with them and want them to succeed.

All that build up without a good story or relatable characters is just schlock.

Sorry you didn't relate to the characters, but I did. All the other aspects were present in quantities sufficient for me to enjoy the movie thoroughly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

On a related note the only movies that actually scare me are the ones with big headed black eyed gray aliens. Don't know why but the thought of those little fuckers in my house scares the shit out of me.

Had a guy call 911 flipping the fuck out because he said there was an alien in his house. Guess who got dispatched? You know the guy is mental but can't get the thought out of your head of "what the fuck do I do if there really is one in there?"

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't care who you are, signs sucked ass.

Rather than read any further in this thread, I'll just say "Ditto".
Sucked balls
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Rough crowd.

I liked it in the sense that it entertained me and had good acting.  But, I always wonder how stupid those aliens have to be and why no one in the movie owns a gun.

I also liked Contact
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Scariest movie in terms of mood I've ever seen.  Still can't watch it at night.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Gonna go with no.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I loved that movie
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Fine if you can get past the idea of a farmer who doesn't own at least a shotgun.  Movie should'a been about an anti-gun pacifist who ends up getting probed.

Had some suspenseful scenes though.  Shamalan is a better director than a writer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I liked it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Hmm, aliens attacking.  Use a glass of water on them or this:

I'll get'em a glass of water after I fucking shoot holes in them.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#33]
big problem with the movie I never could get over.

I have NEVER met a farmer who didnt have a bunch of guns in the house.
should have been alot of dead ET's on the lawn.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#34]
If you realize that this movie isn't even about aliens, and look a little deeper, you guys might enjoy it more.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I liked it.  Although I think Unbreakable was his best movie followed closely by Sixth Sense.

Same.
I had always been a fan and even defended him on The Village and Lady in the Water.
But once I saw The Crappening....Fuck you, Shamalamadingdong. You douchebag.
Haven't seen any of his other movies after that.
(My boys forced me to rent The Airbender movie, but I fell asleep.)
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/mkern2520/100_0593_zpsf1b3c907.jpg

Well, since we're showing pics of our FALs that we'd fight off the aliens with, here's mine...

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Good write-up.

I liked the movie as well. As for the alien in the last scene, face it, with most movies, when they actually SHOW the monster/alien, it's never as scary as your imagination made it out to be. There are exceptions but most of the time it's the suspense that's the scariest.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Any movie by M. Night Shamalamadingdong needs to be taken out back, and shot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Fucking horrible.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Needs moar ugly pillow...hold rifle up....
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/mkern2520/100_0593_zpsf1b3c907.jpg

Well, since we're showing pics of our FALs that we'd fight off the aliens with, here's mine...

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/Ironhandjohn/1355955834.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/Ironhandjohn/1355955377.jpg

Well met, good Sir.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I think it was fantastic until the end.  Lots of great moments.  Mel Gibson is very good.  The female sheriff is good.  The thing with the baby monitors was very steven speilberg and efective.  

Water being that toxic to them would make them avoid our planet - what about the damn atmosphere?  Wouldn'thumidity in the air be painful? Why no space suits?  Didn't they learn from War of the Worlds- getting a cold on earth is a mother fucker.  The build up as well as certain moments are brilliant.  As with most of his movies since sixth sense, he loses it somewhere after he has this great setup.

Lady in the water = I kinda liked it to be honest just for its odd take on fairy tails.  it could have been much better -another example of a great concept not quite executed.  He tried.

The Village = I liked it.  I liked the twist.  the acting was good.  It wasn't fantastic, but I think people just expected a monster movie and got a political commentary.

Last Airbender= only half watched it.  I found it boring, but I also thought the anime was conceptually boring as well.

The Happening= one of the most retarded concepts ever.  Scientifically retarded.  Bad writing.  Bad acting. Boring.  One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Devil = I kind of fast forwarded through most of it, and read spoilers just out of curiosity because I love movies.  It's stupid.  The concept of Devil/Hell is just kinda Meh...

Off subject: what's with the human centipede love?  I half watched them both out of curiosity, but found most of each movie to be too disgusting and disturbing to watch.  I wonder what is wrong with a writer / director to even come up with something like this.  I can admit a certain amount of art in the actual filmmaking and cuts of the films.  The bad guys in both films are actually very good, and extremely disturbing, I'm just not entertained by human suffering.  I don't enjoy gore for the sake of gore.  Some of the most effective filmmaking leaves much more to the imagination without having to see the gore and suffering in real time.   Just don't get any entertainment value out of it.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Wait, was Signs the M. Night Shyamalan movie where nothing happened?

Trick question, ALL of M. Night Shyamalan's movies...nothing happens.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think it was fantastic until the end.  Lots of great moments.  Mel Gibson is very good.  The female sheriff is good.  The thing with the baby monitors was very steven speilberg and efective.  

Water being that toxic to them would make them avoid our planet - what about the damn atmosphere?  Wouldn'thumidity in the air be painful? Why no space suits?  Didn't they learn from War of the Worlds- getting a cold on earth is a mother fucker.  The build up as well as certain moments are brilliant.  As with most of his movies since sixth sense, he loses it somewhere after he has this great setup.

That's the thing. It's like you're looking at a Van Gogh and you're completely drawn in to how amazing it is, and you're getting to the point where you're re-evaluating your life because... wait... does that say "42" over there? Wait, I see a dashed line..... fuck me, is this a paint-by-number? Oh, fuck me!

Quoted:
Lady in the water = I kinda liked it to be honest just for its odd take on fairy tails.  it could have been much better -another example of a great concept not quite executed.  He tried.

And then plot happened, and NOPE.

Quoted:
The Village = I liked it.  I liked the twist.  the acting was good.  It wasn't fantastic, but I think people just expected a monster movie and got a political commentary.

Really? REALLY? Let's set something way back in the long long ago, in the before times. And then hit them with a truck. Audience groans. Director says "Seee?? Haaa!" Audience kicks director in the balls.

Quoted:
Last Airbender= only half watched it.  I found it boring, but I also thought the anime was conceptually boring as well.
Doesn't even warrant a mention.

Quoted:
The Happening= one of the most retarded concepts ever.  Scientifically retarded.  Bad writing.  Bad acting. Boring.  One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Warrants less of a mention than Airbender. Christ, why did I even capitalize the name of that "film"?

Quoted:
Devil = I kind of fast forwarded through most of it, and read spoilers just out of curiosity because I love movies.  It's stupid.  The concept of Devil/Hell is just kinda Meh...
*cough* Nope.

Quoted: NOPE

Couldn't have said it better m'self.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

If you realize that this movie isn't even about aliens, and look a little deeper, you guys might enjoy it more.

this.  Signs is one of my all time favorites.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Really? REALLY? Let's set something way back in the long long ago, in the before times. And then hit them with a truck. Audience groans. Director says "Seee?? Haaa!" Audience kicks director in the balls.

Wait... what?

Did you actually watch the village?

I find it to be one of the best movie portrayals/commentaries of fear and control (symbolic of govt, religion, mass media, etc). And it was not set "way back in the long long ago."
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Of course, but this point is so buried in tripe and bad writing that its hard to wade through.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#50]
who lives on a farm with no guns not even a Biden approved shotgun?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top