Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]

20 is my standard.  I am 43 yo at 158 lbs (need to lose a couple...).

My back / bis routine includes 3 sets of PUs immediately followed by dips to muscle failure.

Shoot for this goal if you want a challenge:

a mix of 50 reps split anyway you want between dips and pull ups.  (for example 20 pullups / 30 dips).

Dips done second in order but within 3 minutes rest of completion of the pull ups.  I am not there yet...

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
When I did 41, it was the final PT test for my academy class and I was in the best shape of my life.  I was 21 years old, 5% BF @ 5'8" 165 lbs and also did 118 push-ups in 60 seconds, ran the 1.5 mile in 8:09 and did over 90 sit-ups in 60 seconds.  I won the PT award out of 42 other graduates.  There was one other guy that did like 35 or so and over 120 push-ups, but I killed him in the run.
I'm now 32, still 5'8" but now about 200 lbs and probably about 11-13% BF, so even though I'm a shit ton stronger than I was back then, my endurance and fast twitch muscle to weight ratio is no where near as efficient.

No matter how much you can bench or squat, doing something like a dead hang pull-up is more of a fine motor skill than it is a brute strength feat.  Power measuring/building exercises like benching, squatting, dead lifting, cleans, etc... don't do much for fast twitch muscle fiber unless your performing these movements at high rates of speed which is not really what the movement is designed for.  It also takes immense muscle endurance to get above 20.  Honestly, the bigger your muscles are, the less likely your going to be able to get over 20.  Your body just can't supply enough oxygenated blood to the muscle fibers to maintain the endurance you'd need.  Plus, larger muscle bellies swell under load (what we call "pump") and the more you pump an already large muscle, the more impeding it becomes on the movement that your trying to perform.  

If you want tips on how to increase your ability to do dead-hang pull ups, I'd say try to do them weighted.  You can either put ankle weights on, a weighted belt, weighted vest, etc...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#4]

I am guessing that only guys that actually work out are posting in here, or I need to get a pair of boots.

It's getting kinda deep in here...  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
wow.... everyone's internet persona is amazingly fit....

unfortunately I call  ....
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I am guessing that only guys that actually work out are posting in here, or I need to get a pair of boots.

Haha!  Agreed.  When I go to the gym, the number of pull-ups most of the males there could do are "0".

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha!  Agreed.  When I go to the gym, the number of pull-ups most of those males could do are "0".

Well, you got to figure, who is gonna post in a "how many can you do?" thread?  Folks who can or can not?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Right now 13. Have been doing the armstrong pullup system for a month or so. Started at six. A few years ago my max was 20 or so till I tore my shoulder.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Zero
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Used to be 23 back in the day. Now... I'm sure I would be ashamed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I can do 6.

The most I have ever done was 10.

That's all I got.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha!  Agreed.  When I go to the gym, the number of pull-ups most of those males could do are "0".

Well, you got to figure, who is gonna post in a "how many can you do?" thread?  Folks who can or can not?

True enough.

I can only do about 10 at the moment, and I'm not terribly out of shape.  The thread caught my attention because I'll be doing alot of them tonight (not all at once!)

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
6 right now.  Have done 9 maybe 10 at one time.

Dead hang, all the way down and I weigh 265 lbs.

ETA: I used to be able to do a couple with an 85lbs dumbell between my shoes..
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
At 6'6" 240 I can't do a single one. I'm a big strong guy, but that's a lot of weight to move that distance from a dead hang.

Much respect for the guy who is 6'4" and doing 6 of them with 50lbs. of gear on.

Sorry dude your not that strong if you can't do a dead hang pull up @ 240.

More like big weak guy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#16]
None.  But i can drink half a keg of beer, out shoot you on my worst day and screw any woman arround.

Beat that.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#17]
The form here is underhand. You jump to the bar, and have to keep your body straight throughout the exercise. I could never find anywhere to put a bar up in the house; it had pretty weak walls, but I think I can fit one here and really need to.

Anyway:
7/8
190lbs
6ft.1"
Very long arms!

I could do over 12 with the easier forms.

If I actually practised them, I'd be OK I expect. Don't find them painful or too difficult. Sit-ups are where I'm lucky... everything else is hard work!

Supposedly a good way to improve if you struggle with them is to fit a bar above a regularly used doorway/corridor. Do however many each time you pass through. It worked for a few people I knew; the majority that tried it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
wow.... everyone's internet persona is amazingly fit....

unfortunately I call  ....

hey I posted my vid

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I usually put in a few sets of 20 during my back workout.  I will try maxing if I remember.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just did 18.  How about you?  If I switched my grip to palms back I could have done 10 more.

It's a very acquired skill that takes practice to keep regardless of strength I think. I've done as many as 35 after a 6 month float when we had a pull up bar in berthing and we would do pyramids every morning and night. Now I am LUCKY to get 14 on my good days but I'm a shit load stronger as far as heavy weights.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I can do atleast 10, thats what I do during my warmup. In workouts I kipp, I'll have to see what my max deadhang is, probably 15 or so with full motion. I can kipp 25 or 30
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#25]

haven't done pull ups in awhile, at least 10 though
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I can do 1.  6 months ago I could do 2 or 3.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#27]
29............................in high school 15yrs ago   i did not work out either.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Just tried it. One is the answer.

Ten years ago I did 100 of them during a regular workout. Of course along with other things.
Sucks getting old.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just did 18.  How about you?  If I switched my grip to palms back I could have done 10 more.

It's a very acquired skill that takes practice to keep regardless of strength I think. I've done as many as 35 after a 6 month float when we had a pull up bar in berthing and we would do pyramids every morning and night. Now I am LUCKY to get 14 on my good days but I'm a shit load stronger as far as heavy weights.

Yup, it is a skill that needs to be worked on a couple times a week.  Do a lot of negative resistance when practicing, and work on them at least 4 times a week.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the bullshit is very thick in this thread

no kidding....  I am in incredible shape for my age and 18 real dead hangs destroys me...now some guy puts down his beer to type "20."  not singling anyone out there but maybe some don't understand dead hang/versus kipping.  

Uh...yeah.  I was thinking either a bunch of people missed the 'dead hang' part, don't understand what a dead hang PU is, or we have a ton of fucking phenomenal PT studs on Arfcom.

I'm a skinny little fucker with pretty low bodyfat (never measured w/ calipers, but I estimate I'm at an honest 10%), and I do pull ups, barbells rows, and deadlifts regularly.  I have what I consider to be decent back/pulling strength with respect to my small size, and my max for reverse grip dead hangs is 16 reps (honest reps, not internet reps).

For palms-facing-away grip pull ups, I'm fucking ecstatic when I can eek out 15, and I typically get 13-14.  These are honest dead-hangs with a pause at the bottom.

Funny that we have so many people claiming 20+.  The guy that can do 42 needs to put himself on YouTube.  

It was a joke because no one really cares how many of XX anyone else can do. It's an e-peen thread, nothing more.

Not sure what that means.....The Army is considering changing our physical fitness test.  So for me, my friend, doing my best..for me, for my Country, is VERY important.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
None.  But i can drink half a keg of beer, out shoot you on my worst day and screw any woman arround.

Beat that.  

I shoot in the All Army competition.

but can't hold my beer, so you got me there....
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#34]
only 7, but back in june i couldnt do any.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I weigh 100lbs less now then my playing weight in college.  I couldnt do any then and i still cant.  Most of my strength is in my legs, not as much in the upper body.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Goal is 20 by April.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I did 20 back about 30 years ago, now maybe 8
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#38]
10, if i'm going for broke.

At my work place, I do 6 sets of 5 over the period of a 8 hour work shift.  I'm 6'2" and 170 pounds.

I would prefer to be at 185, and I'd also prefer to capable of doing 20 dead hang pullups, which is the max score for the FBI HRT fitness standards.  I figure 20 is the point at which people consider you in top physical condition.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Not sure, I do mine at the end of my back workout and just do sets of 5 using a 25 lbs plate. I can probably do 10, 5'9" 195.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no kidding....  I am in incredible shape for my age and 18 real dead hangs destroys me...now some guy puts down his beer to type "20."  not singling anyone out there but maybe some don't understand dead hang/versus kipping.  

Uh...yeah.  I was thinking either a bunch of people missed the 'dead hang' part, don't understand what a dead hang PU is, or we have a ton of fucking phenomenal PT studs on Arfcom.

I'm a skinny little fucker with pretty low bodyfat (never measured w/ calipers, but I estimate I'm at an honest 10%), and I do pull ups, barbells rows, and deadlifts regularly.  I have what I consider to be decent back/pulling strength with respect to my small size, and my max for reverse grip dead hangs is 16 reps (honest reps, not internet reps).

For palms-facing-away grip pull ups, I'm fucking ecstatic when I can eek out 15, and I typically get 13-14.  These are honest dead-hangs with a pause at the bottom.

Funny that we have so many people claiming 20+.  The guy that can do 42 needs to put himself on YouTube.  

It was a joke because no one really cares how many of XX anyone else can do. It's an e-peen thread, nothing more.

Not sure what that means.....The Army is considering changing our physical fitness test.  So for me, my friend, doing my best..for me, for my Country, is VERY important.  

Is the Army considering adding dead hang overhand pull-ups?  If so, that's fucking retarded and even more stupid than the current test.  If not, then not really sure what this has to do with anything.   /shrug
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#41]
12, if I am rested from my weightlifting cycle.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#44]
13. I've been doing them for about a month and a half consistently. My ultimate goal is 20, but improvement is a bit slower than I'd like.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#45]
22 with perfect form
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Because someone mentioned weight, and weight:
5' 7" (long arms though)
165lbs

Can get 12-14 (dead hang, no swinging etc.) on a good day (feels bad man)
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#47]

I can currently handle 8 and I'm working it up each week  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#48]
12 overhand yesterday, 22 underhand today.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the Army considering adding dead hang overhand pull-ups?  If so, that's fucking retarded and even more stupid than the current test.  If not, then not really sure what this has to do with anything.   /shrug

Well brother, if you don't like the Army standard, and my attempt to be more fit and capable, then a simple solution for you would be to just get the fuck out.

And I mean that in the nicest sort of way, Sir.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Three the last time I tried.

Same here.  It's a bitch to hoist up 275lbs.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top