Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok...but there's not a lot of unsecured stockpiles of artillery shells laying around.
Hope your wrong though
View Quote

That has absolutely nothing to do with gauging a realistic IED threat.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
As a regular guy I know nothing of IED's etc, so forgive me, but this is not the ME.
So where would they acquire the explosives to carry out such things. It is not like
there are tank shells and 500lb bombs laying about in the US. After McVeigh didn't
the ATF crack down on many items like he used.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok...but there's not a lot of unsecured stockpiles of artillery shells laying around.
Hope your wrong though
View Quote

Do you even Boston Marathon, bro?

But in all seriousness, there are other things one can make explosives out of.  Maybe not with the power of the available munitions in places abroad, but enough to get the job done, without a doubt.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hope your wrong though
View Quote

HME doesn't need arty shells, and it's not difficult to find what you need or to make
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As a regular guy I know nothing of IED's etc, so forgive me, but this is not the ME.
So where would they acquire the explosives to carry out such things. It is not like
there are tank shells and 500lb bombs laying about in the US. After McVeigh didn't
View Quote

Theres a lot of ways to solve that problem.  Most IEDs in the ME aren't made from salvaged military explosives.  Some are, but at this point most aren't.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Like what? Barry gonna go on TV and say we need to ban guns in order to prevent IED attacks?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If that sort of activity started up here, the reaction would likely be swift and without mercy.  

Like what? Barry gonna go on TV and say we need to ban guns in order to prevent IED attacks?  

Why not?  Effectively he and Hillary have already said "Unarmed American citizens have been attacked on American soil.  We need to disarm the American people to prevent further attacks."
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stores are full of the chemicals needed to make HMEs. You could make a small amount with a trip to most convenience stores.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And that is precisely why we (the USA) will lose this "war" if we do not fight it on their terms.

These savages do not want, understand, or respect democracy or our form of government.  They see us as weak because of it.

All they understand is total brutality.

Unless we take the gloves off and start fighting back these events will not only continue but become more commonplace.

If they kill one of ours, we kill ten of theirs.  And we aren't too particular who as long as they are loosely associated with the perpetrators.

If they kill one of ours with a WMD, we kill 100 of them.  And we aren't too particular who as long as they are loosely associated with the perpetrators.

They blow up a building, we level 10 city blocks.  And we aren't too particular as long as the 10 blocks surround anyone associated with the perpetrators.

The best part of this?  No boots on the ground required.

This namby-pamby crap of only getting those directly responsible and all the surgical response BS has to go.

This is why control was lost in Iraq.  Saddam was a brutal asshole but he had control of the country.  We got rid of him and the whole place went to shit and will never recover.

Eventually the other non-radical Muslims will start policing their own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If that sort of activity started up here, the reaction would likely be swift and without mercy.

The reaction from citizens exacting vigilante justice may be.  This government, no matter what party is in charge will NEVER react without mercy to those who deserve it, they will ALWAYS use those acts to shackle the law abiding citizenry.

And that is precisely why we (the USA) will lose this "war" if we do not fight it on their terms.

These savages do not want, understand, or respect democracy or our form of government.  They see us as weak because of it.

All they understand is total brutality.

Unless we take the gloves off and start fighting back these events will not only continue but become more commonplace.

If they kill one of ours, we kill ten of theirs.  And we aren't too particular who as long as they are loosely associated with the perpetrators.

If they kill one of ours with a WMD, we kill 100 of them.  And we aren't too particular who as long as they are loosely associated with the perpetrators.

They blow up a building, we level 10 city blocks.  And we aren't too particular as long as the 10 blocks surround anyone associated with the perpetrators.

The best part of this?  No boots on the ground required.

This namby-pamby crap of only getting those directly responsible and all the surgical response BS has to go.

This is why control was lost in Iraq.  Saddam was a brutal asshole but he had control of the country.  We got rid of him and the whole place went to shit and will never recover.

Eventually the other non-radical Muslims will start policing their own.

I agree that the approach overseas should be more...intense.  Gloves off, preparing for a ground invasion of the Japanese mainland type of shit.  It sucks for the people there but I don't know what else to do.  These people can't be reasoned with.  But expanding strikes over there is just going to put more of these people elsewhere - including in the US - into action.  Continued hyperinterventionalism (is that even a word?) over there increases attacks over here.

Domestically, though, San Bernadino, Orlando, what should our reaction be?  Frankly I'm glad I live in a country where we can't just round up people on suspicion that they might act on their political motives.  I believe the death of the Republic will come the day that we start doing that.  Unfortunately, we're just a few IEDs and mass shootings away from it.  The public will BEG for the type of tyranny and loss of liberty that combating a threat like that would entail.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got some unique experience in the explosives world, and I can tell you there are many, many ways to create explosive devices, the big drawback is actually money and technical expertise to support the bomb making, not the explosive materials themselves.  With state financing and military or industrial level training and experience,  terrorists could cause some serious pain on us.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And how do you wipe them out?

Roughly 2.75 million in America.

The question becomes two fold - What percentage of those 2.75 million are prepared to act violently.   And more importantly, how do you "wipe them out" without alienating and potentially creating more who will need to be wiped out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am honestly surprised it hasn't happened already. The Islamists have got to know by know by now that a shooting isn't going to change America fundamentally.

If Democrats can get more gun laws passed in the wake of one, then yeah they have fundamentally changed America.

Having said that, yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we don't start seeing more explosives used in attacks.

You can almost guarantee that in the next issues of their internet terror magazine they will suggest not using guns because the anti gun backlash distracts from their cause. ISIS isn't attacking the west because they believe it will cause us to pull out of the region. They attack US because they want the ground war their prophecies calls for. They will never stop until they are wiped out.

The question becomes two fold - What percentage of those 2.75 million are prepared to act violently.   And more importantly, how do you "wipe them out" without alienating and potentially creating more who will need to be wiped out?

No one is talking (I hope not at least) about wiping out Muslims in general.

We are talking about wiping out the radicalized Muslims (ISIS, et al)

When they (Muslims in general) start policing their own and get rid of the mosques that also serve as radicalization centers most of the problem will be solved.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Against whom? ISIS, Taliban? all Islam?
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

McVeigh used ANFO... fertilizer, basically.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Against US citizens.  Against our right to privacy (whats left of it) and our right to bear arms (also what's left of it).

Since a classroom full of dead kindergarteners couldn't get an AWB, I guess "domestic terror" is going to be the next catalyst that is tried.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Personally i don't think roadside bombs will happen.  The death toll wouldn't be high enough with an attack like that.  VBIEDs could be used in some cases but most important buildings in the US have bollards/road blocks to prevent vehicles from being driven up to them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seem to recall that some IED type devices were found in Texas back in 07, or so?
View Quote

Dont know but with all the cartels it wouldnt surprise me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This has been the Liberal's plan all along.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...The US will look like the Middle East soon, and at that point the politicians will enact what will essentially be a police state...

This has been the Liberal's plan all along.

All according to the plan! Facilitate disorder by importing nefarious actors, use resulting violent chaos as the pretext for total control, win.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A bunch of my friends are GWOT vets, and we were discussing this very subject last night.

Just a few along any interstate would paralyze this nation.  VBIED driven into a school or nursing home or even a 'mega church' would very quickly eclipse what happened in Orlando.

View Quote

God forbid we have a terror attack on a mega church....Even Obama wouldn't be able to claim it was workplace violence then, and the retributions would be Biblical.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You can almost guarantee that in the next issues of their internet terror magazines they will suggest not using guns because the anti gun backlash distracts from their cause. ISIS isn't attacking the west because they believe it will cause us to pull out of the region. They attack US because they want the ground war their prophecies calls for. They will never stop until they are wiped out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am honestly surprised it hasn't happened already. The Islamists have got to know by know by now that a shooting isn't going to change America fundamentally.

If Democrats can get more gun laws passed in the wake of one, then yeah they have fundamentally changed America.

Having said that, yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we don't start seeing more explosives used in attacks.

You can almost guarantee that in the next issues of their internet terror magazines they will suggest not using guns because the anti gun backlash distracts from their cause. ISIS isn't attacking the west because they believe it will cause us to pull out of the region. They attack US because they want the ground war their prophecies calls for. They will never stop until they are wiped out.

And isn't Trump the one who will give it to them?  Hillary will appease, won't she?  They want war, and sooner rather than later...
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mexico
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh it's gonna get worse for sure.
Ponder this and I'll use my county as an example.
County population is around 30K with most of it being in the one city in the county. Rural mountainous terrain.
Beat up truck broken down in roadway a few minutes outside of town. School bus stops because truck is sitting in road with hood up.
2 guys from truck board the and drive it down a gravel road leading to one of the many abandoned marble quarries where they have a camera set up live streaming.
Take each kid off the bus and cut their heads off one by one on camera.
They could be done and gone before anyone even knows the bus is missing.
This is one of the many plan I had to come up with when I was in terrorism instructor school down at FLETC

When the towers fell it pissed everyone off but the reality is that it did not directly effect most Americans, after all it's New York and D.C..
When the club got hit in FL, once again, it pisses everyone off but it does not really effect the average American.
Most Americans will never go to NY, D.C. or a gay bar. Folks are not overtly worried about sending their kids to school each day or their spouse to work.
Let something like the scenario above happen and suddenly every American is scarred every day.

TL;DR shit can and will get worse. Everyday Americans are gonna be horrified and terrified.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Seem to recall that some IED type devices were found in Texas back in 07, or so?
View Quote

Are you thinking about that Bandito assassination attempt?
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Personally i don't think roadside bombs will happen.  The death toll wouldn't be high enough with an attack like that.  VBIEDs could be used in some cases but most important buildings in the US have bollards/road blocks to prevent vehicles from being driven up to them.
View Quote

The causulty aspect is only one factor, and not necessarily the top one. A dozen roadside ieds or so across the country would disrupt things.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I doubt it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I've always said it....rush hour traffic in the urban areas. Create a disturbance causing traffic to come to a stand still. IED's in place along the way, couple shooters here and there. Chaos and no where to go. Yet people wonder why I now carry body armor along with my trunk rifle.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Stores are full of the chemicals needed to make HMEs. You could make a small amount with a trip to most convenience stores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit dude. Fill a propane tank full of black powder and take it to the local 7/11 when it is busy. The clerk will be more than happy to give you the key so you can place you "empty" tank in the locked rack with a dozen other tanks than range from full to empty. Hand key to clerk, walk away and make a cell phone call. Just be sure to do it at a store that is on the corner of a busy intersection during rush hour for max effect.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

When they (Muslims in general) start policing their own and get rid of the mosques that also serve as radicalization centers most of the problem will be solved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can almost guarantee that in the next issues of their internet terror magazine they will suggest not using guns because the anti gun backlash distracts from their cause. ISIS isn't attacking the west because they believe it will cause us to pull out of the region. They attack US because they want the ground war their prophecies calls for. They will never stop until they are wiped out.

The guy I responded to was. And I know there are more...but...anyway...

And when we take out just the radicalized ones, here in the US, you will regardless, radicalized even more. It's the nature of the beast. Some will, no matter what or how you do it, sympathize with their own over those their own have killed.

And yes, I would love to see the majority start policing their own, but for numerous reasons ( see the point above) many will not and those that do may suffer significant repercussions from their own.

The point, as you know, the problem has numerous facets and angles and as soon as you address one, the others become bigger.

I'm not pretending to know the answer but my fear is that it will end up, as the situation/crisis continues to progress/evolve, require a very very large hammer.

This is the pattern of history.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#28]
VBIEDs had been round for years. The first attack on the world trade center was a VBIED.

Thankfully, several of them, like the Times Square One, were shoddily made and did not work.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Fuck the Constitution right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What amazes me is that the US would just "take it" rather than rounding up all the obvious potential terrorists.

Fuck the Constitution right?

We stopped all dem Japanese saboteurs back in my pappy's day, and it was okay because the SCOTUS said so.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Might want to weld some RPG screens to the outside as well

Quoted:
My daily driver is a 94 Nissan pickup with two-wheel drive and four cylinder engine.

Guess I better start loading it with sandbags
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And when he take out just the radicalized ones, here in the US, you will regardless radicalized even more. It's the nature of the beast. Some will, no matter what or how you do it, sympathize with their own over those their own have killed.

And yes, I would love to see the majority start policing their own, but for numerous reasons ( see the point above) many will not and those that do may suffer significant repercussions from their own.

The point, as you know, the problem has numerous facets and angles and as soon as you address one, the others become bigger.

I'm not pretending to know the answer but my fear is that it will end up, as the situation/crisis continues to progress/evolve, requiring a very very large hammer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And when he take out just the radicalized ones, here in the US, you will regardless radicalized even more. It's the nature of the beast. Some will, no matter what or how you do it, sympathize with their own over those their own have killed.

I'm not pretending to know the answer but my fear is that it will end up, as the situation/crisis continues to progress/evolve, requiring a very very large hammer.

You have no clue what I was talking about you pompous ass.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Damn straight. Love East Tn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn straight. Love East Tn.

He's west of east
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Shit dude. Fill a propane tank full of black powder and take it to the local 7/11 when it is busy. The clerk will be more than happy to give you the key so you can place you "empty" tank in the locked rack with a dozen other tanks than range from full to empty. Hand key to clerk, walk away and make a cell phone call. Just be sure to do it at a store that is on the corner of a busy intersection during rush hour for max effect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the tanker truck is there filling the ground tanks with gasoline?
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#34]
100% right.  Vietcong tactics are bound to start soon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are correct, it would be brutal. No American would ever be able to buy hair bleach or solvents again, but we would still be bending over backwards not to blame a certain ethnic group or religion.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Maybe in your area.  It won't go over well here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pure fantasy.

Maybe in your area.  It won't go over well here.

Hill jacks are looking for a reason to get twitchy.

Won't get out of the truck though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
You don't really believe that, do you?

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#38]
You have no clue what I was talking about you pompous ass.

You said it won't stop until they are all wiped out.  I simply wrote why that is difficult to do, even just taking out the radicalized ones, if those are the "All" you were talking about.

I think your definition of pompous is off.

I am the poster child of humility.

ETA: Oh, now IC. You thought I meant, "he takes" as in you take them out. That was a typo that I had to edit to fix to "we take." Re-read the response to which you took offense.

I think if your offense was a little less hasty, and my keyboard on my phone a little better, perhaps you would not think me so pompous.  

But regardless, yes I do understand what you wrote.

And yes, I remain the poster child of humility.  This ETA should help illustrate that fact as I call out my own fat fingers and shity phone.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The reaction from citizens exacting vigilante justice may be.  This government, no matter what party is in charge will NEVER react without mercy to those who deserve it, they will ALWAYS use those acts to shackle the law abiding citizenry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup...

What we need is to go full blown "Crazy as you wanna get" methodical on they ass...UN-merciful style....ASAP

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#40]
My job security gets better by the day unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#41]
It has ready happened numerous times, ie, WTC bombing, car bomb at Times Square, Truck bombs on 9/11

but the bad guys bought their explosives from the FBI

One of these days they will be using real explosives.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

....don't bet on it
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I hope you are wrong.
You are probably right.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I started right now, I could be up all night listing all the places that a car or truck bomb could wreak major havoc.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The causulty aspect is only one factor, and not necessarily the top one. A dozen roadside ieds or so across the country would disrupt things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Casualties would be a secondary concern. The main goal would be that it would signal to US citizens that the war we watched on tv for over a decade now has come to us. It will put the public, the majority, into a mindset of needing protection in the form or overreaching government involvement everywhere. The general public , and most of congress, will call for US troops , or at least NG of each state to be stationed at checkpoints all over the country, stopping vehicles, checking IDs , checking for car bombs, etc. They'll need to know where you are from, where you're going, and your intentions for going there. They are solidifying a mindset that is anathema to freedom, and once accepted, submission to government.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Casualties would be a secondary concern. The main goal would be that it would signal to US citizens that the war we watched on tv for over a decade now has come to us. It will put the public, the majority, into a mindset of needing protection in the form or overreaching government involvement everywhere. The general public , and most of congress, will call for US troops , or at least NG of each state to be stationed at checkpoints all over the country, stopping vehicles, checking IDs , checking for car bombs, etc. They'll need to know where you are from, where you're going, and your intentions for going there. They are solidifying a mindset that is anathema to freedom, and once accepted, submission to government.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's almost as if we have a worst case scenario to recall from semi-recent history showing exactly what would happen in the event of a large scale terrorist attack, showing that you got most of that wrong.   I also seem to remember a few things about VBIED force protection measures, being that it's a core function of my job and all, and I don't think you really have a good grip on this one.  There are even multiple comparative VBIED events to draw from in US history that you seem to have selectively excluded from your outcome.

But please, feel free to continue telling us all about it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I hope you are wrong.
You are probably right.
View Quote

Pretty much sums it up
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#49]
You won't see widespread use of VBIEDs in the US for a simple reason.  It takes money and a hell of a lot of effort to build one.

Take a look at this idiot.  He was a man close to 30 years old making $10 an hour who it seems, had to borrow a car to get to the murder scene.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Hope your wrong though
View Quote

This. In America, it's a lot easier to assemble the ingredients for a shooting attack than the ingredients for an explosives attack. The terrorists will always follow the path of least resistance.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top