Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't watch TV and never had kids, so finding a few hours in the evening was never hard to do.  It never took away from personal hygiene or relationships.  My gaming usually goes down during baseball season and up when the weather sucks.

I know people who watch 6-8 hours of TV a day, and watch several movies on the weekends.  How is gaming worse?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You forget that the average age of the gamer is now well into the 30s. Plenty of people out there like me with things like full time jobs, mortgages and female SOs
How much time do you spend in front of the TV, OP?
View Quote

I spend around 1-2 hrs in front of the tv a week.  I'm just too busy after work with things around the house that need to be done. And to be perfectly honest, I would rather be out in the sun and fresh air than in front of a tv.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Chug a few energy drinks at 10 pm, and  11pm - 3 am is wide open.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Now, with kids and a wife, I get about 2 hours to play between when my kids go to sleep and I go to sleep at night. It's pretty much the only time I get.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]
No wife, no kids, and retired.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Now, with kids and a wife, I get about 2 hours to play between when my kids go to sleep and I go to sleep at night. It's pretty much the only time I get.
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The average American watches 4 hours of TV a day.  

I prefer to play games instead of TV.

View Quote

That's true. And it's actually more than 4 hours...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm in my early 40s and when I'm not working 60 hours a week (like now) I just want to sit and veg out with a PC game when I get a second to myself. I have an Xbox One that I have not turned on in months, I have a PS Vita in a drawer somewhere that I haven't used in years and I have an nVidia Shield sitting next to it.

In my younger days I could sit there and play for hours on end, but lately I can manage about an hour, hour and a half at best and then I either go to bed or do something else. Marathon gaming just does not hold the appeal to me that it once did... plus most games I play I tend to get bored with in an hour or so and rather than keep playing I just shut down and come back to it when I feel like it. Honestly most of my "gaming time" these days are tablet games on my ipad. Something I can play for five minutes while sitting in bed before going to sleep.

And just to be that guy I have to say that gaming in general is in a rut right now. Everything is so "same-y". Every game is either a sequel or a clone of something else that came before it... and they are all RIFE with bullshit grindy crap designed only to draw out your playing time artificially with hidden package or loot farming boredom. I suppose that is why I really find myself drawn to the Telltale games... they come out in small bite size releases, the "episodes" only take an hour or so to play, they are all story driven with zero grindy crap and they tend to be pretty fun... for me at least.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat as you're in. I know we played GTA together, was you involved in BF3 on the playstation?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat as you're in. I know we played GTA together, was you involved in BF3 on the playstation?
View Quote

Nope, never had BF3 on Xbox or PS. Hell, never had a playstation. I had it on PC and played it with the ARFCOM folks when it first came out years ago though.

Honestly I suck out loud at FPS multiplayer games and I don't have a lot of fun with them. My reflexes are old and dull and nothing upsets me more than playing twitch shooters against strangers and assholes. I tend to gravitate towards games that are either single player or cooperative multiplayer, and games that have good stories.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Most live at home or in an apartment provided by their parents.  A few have minimum wage jobs, making just enough to pay their bills and buy a few games.

Most are indeed 300lbs (or well on their way) and are pale as hell.

The few who are married have wives who also game (also 300lbs, also barely work if at all, etc).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I stayed parked in front of the TV gaming for 4-6 hours every night……my place would look like a total wreck, I would be 300lbs and pale as hell, and my wife would divorce me.

Most live at home or in an apartment provided by their parents.  A few have minimum wage jobs, making just enough to pay their bills and buy a few games.

The few who are married have wives who also game (also 300lbs, also barely work if at all, etc).

I heard that guys with guns have small dicks, so it must be true.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#12]
33, married, no kids.

I don't watch TV, especially sports, I don't fish, and it doesn't eat up all of my off work hours to shit/shower/shave and take care of the house.

The wife works nights several days a week. I have time.

Playing for 4-6 hours doesn't mean 4-6 hours every night, but maybe a few nights a week. If nothing else is going on or the weather sucks, I'll do 12 hours on a weekend.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Man, you guys really need to get out more if you think that's what most gamers look like

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I stayed parked in front of the TV gaming for 4-6 hours every night……my place would look like a total wreck, I would be 300lbs and pale as hell, and my wife would divorce me.

Man, you guys really need to get out more if you think that's what most gamers look like

Arfcom. where ignorance knows no bounds.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#14]
i don't watch much TV instead i play video games although its not 4-6 hours maybe closer to 2-3 and not every day.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#15]
After or before work.  Its really not that hard.

Also some family's game together.  So they spend time with the spouse and kids by laning minecraft or other games.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pth, light weights..

I was doing a 8hr work day to come home and do a +8hr evening in WoW. Then on the weekends I would get maybe 4hrs sleep.
View Quote

Do you know this guy named WoWpro?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't watch TV and never had kids, so finding a few hours in the evening was never hard to do.  It never took away from personal hygiene or relationships.  My gaming usually goes down during baseball season and up when the weather sucks.

I know people who watch 6-8 hours of TV a day, and watch several movies on the weekends.  How is gaming worse?

View Quote
Its simply a "stop liking what I don't like" and an "any hobby I don't like is objectively stupid" thing.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quick video chat with the OP as he was typing up his post:

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

no kids, no wife, some do it for a living, its like going to work.

I stopped. wife and 3 kids, who has time to play a video game?
View Quote

My cousin plays more than I do, has two kids, a wife, runs every day for an hour...

It's very easy to do. I don't really understand how people don't have the time for things.

I'm in school. Have girlfriend. Have six week old puppy. Mix music. In a band. Have work.

I find plenty of time to play video games. Time management is important.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I have nearly 9.5k hours on Counter Strike Source over the course of 15 years. Probably one of the best players in the world. I work two jobs, Marketing Director at an aviation parts business and am part owner of an Italian restaurant where I cook and Manage. I also build websites with Joomla on the side. I am married with 3 kids ages 8-9-13 have been married for 10 years and known my wife since we were 13 years old. I turn 40 this year.

I game instead of watching TV, I also ride my dirt bike a few hours every week.

When I go on a new server people always think I'm hacking because I will be like 33 kills to maybe 5 deaths. I play on a glycol Ethenal liquid cooled duel graphic card system with shitloads of RAM and processing power and a gigabit connection. I literally can kill people before they even know I'm there because my computer and connection are so fast.

I play CSS exclusively. Plan to quit css once VR first person shooters are bad ass and I can switch to them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow, that is 396 DAYS of playtime.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I played a shit ton when I was in California, still had time to work a full time job, walk the dogs every day, keep my house up, pay my bills, have bbq's with friends on the weekends.  Almost everyone I gamed with did the same, It's amazing how much time you have when you don't watch TV ever.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Married with 3 young kids.  I play an hour or so a night to escape.  Sometimes it just doesn't work because there are other tasks but I can usually find time.  It is a cheap hobby.  I dropped $20 on a new grip for my AR10.  I spent $5 on a new character for Heroes of the Storm.  Want to guess which one is easier to use?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Most gamers I know that play that much are young and single and they don't watch tv.  The only time I'd be able to play for 4 hours would be later in the evening when the family is busy doing their own thing and I need a break from all other work.  ie It only happens once every 3-4 months.
View Quote

This.  

I hate not interacting with something or someone... so sitting watching tv and not doing anything drives me nuts.  

Since I work, have a life, and a woman, the only time i play any video games is mon/ wednesday when she works till 11pm.  

Side note, since I moved, its an easy way to keep in touch with friends as well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I binge game.

I'll go a few months without playing, then I'll play a few solid hours for a few days in a row, then I go back.

Now with a mortgage, kids, and other hobbies I find less time for gaming.

When I was a kid though? No responsibilities and no girlfriend? I'd spend 10+ hours a day for months and months gaming.

The only male I know that games for hours a day is a dude with depression issues. I think gaming caters to these guys because it's something they can immerse in, be successful in, and there's few consequences for failure.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I used to do it. A wife and two kids really put the kibosh on it. I don't have a clue where they find the time either.
View Quote

Took the words out of my mouth.  

Being a grownup with responsibilities takes time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.  

I hate not interacting with something or someone... so sitting watching tv and not doing anything drives me nuts.  

Since I work, have a life, and a woman, the only time i play any video games is mon/ wednesday when she works till 11pm.  

Side note, since I moved, its an easy way to keep in touch with friends as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most gamers I know that play that much are young and single and they don't watch tv.  The only time I'd be able to play for 4 hours would be later in the evening when the family is busy doing their own thing and I need a break from all other work.  ie It only happens once every 3-4 months.

This.  

If I have a night where I know I will have 3-4 hours of free time......I'd rather meet some friends out and grab a few beers and eat some wings as opposed to sitting in front of a TV and/or playing games.   I'm not that anti-social.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If I have a night where I know I will have 3-4 hours of free time......I'd rather meet some friends out and grab a few beers and eat some wings as opposed to sitting in front of a TV and/or playing games.   I'm not that anti-social.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  

Why do you think gaming is anti-social?  Voice chat with friends while all playing the same game.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why do you think gaming is anti-social?  Voice chat with friends while all playing the same game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  

It's the "not having any guy friends that I hang out with" part .....that's the anti-social part.  Having people you chat with online during your gaming.....and not having people you see one-on-one....yeah, a little anti social.  Staying inside all the time and chatting online is not the same as getting out of the house, hanging out with friends, going to BBQ's, going to see bands......actually being around living , breathing people

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I tend to play 6-8 hours at a time, but maybe 2 or 3 times a month.  Instead of spreading smaller amounts of time playing over the whole month, I'll just cram a months worth of gaming into one weekend.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's the "not having any guy friends that I hang out with" part .....that's the anti-social part.  Having people you chat with online during your gaming.....and not having people you see one-on-one....yeah, a little anti social.  Staying inside all the time and chatting online is not the same as getting out of the house, hanging out with friends, going to BBQ's, going to see bands......actually being around living , breathing people

View Quote

Hey Dad! Why didn't you tell me you joined ARFCOM? Did the Elks lodge finally kick you out after your last washers tournament argument?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hey Dad! Why didn't you tell me you joined ARFCOM? Did the Elks lodge finally kick you out after your last washers tournament argument?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! I'm not that old....

Maybe that's the new thing for kids to do.....sit in their rooms and chat online instead of going out and actually interacting with people  I miss college
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Casting a wide net there, too bad it's got a lot of large holes in it or else you might have been able to catch some fish.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I have nearly 9.5k hours on Counter Strike Source over the course of 15 years. Probably one of the best players in the world. I work two jobs, Marketing Director at an aviation parts business and am part owner of an Italian restaurant where I cook and Manage. I also build websites with Joomla on the side. I am married with 3 kids ages 8-9-13 have been married for 10 years and known my wife since we were 13 years old. I turn 40 this year.

When I go on a new server people always think I'm hacking because I will be like 33 kills to maybe 5 deaths. I play on a glycol Ethenal liquid cooled duel graphic card system with shitloads of RAM and processing power and a gigabit connection. I literally can kill people before they even know I'm there because my computer and connection are so fast.

I play CSS exclusively. Plan to quit css once VR first person shooters are bad ass and I can switch to them.
View Quote
I'm sure this is all true.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I run and work out in the morning before work, I get home around 5:30, make something to eat, and then will usually play Xbox from 6-9. I don't have a girlfriend or kids, and no friends, so it's something to do.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I forget the program/online service's name, Joe Rogan had a professional video game player on his podcast a month or so ago who streamed his gaming and a feed of himself playing. Dude was a mid level player on this service and still had tens of thousands of people tuning in to watch him. People can have millions, and make six figures, doing this. Fucking nuts. Camwhoring with video games with a lot less hot dildo action. Kids today.

My video gaming ebs and flows. My unwind time at night I usually want to watch tv and not have to have any input in it, who ever said not playing a few hours before bed is right, it can get me too keyed up. So in the past few years out of college and starting a job my weeknights are more tv watching. Every few weekends Ill veg and binge on a game. I don't own my own house yet but I can see why that and a SO AND kids would limit anything other than taking care of that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I run and work out in the morning before work, I get home around 5:30, make something to eat, and then will usually play Xbox from 6-9. I don't have a girlfriend or kids, and no friends, so it's something to do.
View Quote

.....and who said gamers weren't social
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Easy.

Ban Video games.  for the children.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Ban everything, because reasons.

This thread should have come with a trigger warning.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#41]
4 - 6 hours per day?  PFFT  Noobs!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No wife, no kids, and retired.
View Quote

You truly chose correctly.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
4 - 6 hours per day?  PFFT  Noobs!
View Quote

No shit.

Try Dwarf Fortress, ya pussies.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I have 850 hours playing Destiny on ps4. The game came out September 9, 2014, and I stopped playing in May. Averages to be about 100 hrs a month.

I have a wife three kids and one more on the way. Full time job, etc.

Fuck that game!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  

Not anti-social per se but possibly very introverted. Some people do not need public interaction 24-7 to make them feel like they are living. Extroverts like being surrounded with people, introverts do not want that much turmoil, they probably get enough @ work. Being able to play along with and chat or use Vent to speak with someone is enough contact for some. Being forced to socially interact can be very uncomfortable even when they (introverts) are acting like they are having a good time, the introvert is looking for a way out.

It is not hard to work, raise kids, have hobbies, excercise and game. People who do not game go with the wide brush view and assume gamers do nothing but game, eat, drink Red Bull, and shit in diapers so they do not have to leave the game. When people do not conform to others' views they are labled as weirdos exhibiting behavior that some feel should be condemed or controlled. Why can't these people be like me so I can feel better about what I do? It sounds so very familiar...

My wife watches dumbass TV shows I cant stand but she wants me in the room to talk to. So I put on my headphones and game. I can hold a conversation with her and game, if I am in Vent she realizes I am not asking her to pick up the mob that just spawned so we do not wipe. I get stuff done: work 40-hours-check; make breakfast and pack lunch for 3-check, do lawn-check; cook dinner and do dishes-check; do laundry and put away-check; take care of dogs-check, help kid with homework-check, Grocery shopping-check, I used to do all the above and work a 2nd job 20-25 hours a week.  Hell, I'm a regular Mr. Mom andI still have time to game.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#47]
In Before Fat_McNasty's Oculus Rift!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I can't imagine being so pathetic that I couldn't find a few hours out of the day to do the things I want to do in my spare time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I play 3-4 hours a day.  Family goes to sleep between 9-10pm, I don't require a whole lot of sleep.  I play video games from 10 till 1 or 2am every day, wake up at 7 and head to work.  It's my release, I work my main job 5 days a week, and work 2 other jobs on weekends, and I'm married with 5 kids..  If I couldn't veg out and shoot people online, I'd lose my mind.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#50]
When I play, it's at night from 8:30ish-10p or on the weekend when I can really stay up late if I desire.

Also, the true "gaymerz" who play ass-loads of games probably don't have a full time job, house to maintain, relationship to maintain, etc.  When I was single, etc....I had plenty of time to dump into gaming.  4-5hrs straight has not happened since my military days (I had an odd schedule that had 5.5 days off in a row).  

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top