User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Toyota owns the smaller pickup market.
View Quote

You mean the market they had no competition for in almost a decade??
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:13:24 AM EDT
[#2]
One thing that gets me about the pickup market:  Why do some folks seek out a smaller truck?  A pickup's main purpose is the ability to haul stuff in an open bed.  The more it can haul, the more useful it is.  If you need a daily driver, get a car.

I can see some exceptions to this, such as those who -need- to haul only occasionally, but need a full-size cab regularly, and either don't want or can't afford two vehicles (in money or parking space, etc).  For them, trucks like the above posted Toyota 4-door pickup do kinda make sense.  But I really don't understand why anyone would, apart from specific need, -want- a smaller pickup.

I went from an 88/89 S10 to a 98 F150, to a 96 F350.  I've -always- found a use for the greater cargo capacity and towing ability of the larger and larger trucks.  

For city dwellers, I certainly understand the frustration with big trucks and traffic.  Navigating a long-bed 4-door F-350 through traffic is a nightmare.  But then, I hate cities anyway.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Come on, GMC....small 4x4 with a diesel. I dare ya.
View Quote

Do It.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those should be coming out soon. Automagic only, or I would have waited and bought one instead of my WRX. Manual is best transmission.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One thing that gets me about the pickup market:  Why do some folks seek out a smaller truck?  A pickup's main purpose is the ability to haul stuff in an open bed.  The more it can haul, the more useful it is.  If you need a daily driver, get a car.

I can see some exceptions to this, such as those who -need- to haul only occasionally, but need a full-size cab regularly, and either don't want or can't afford two vehicles (in money or parking space, etc).  For them, trucks like the above posted Toyota 4-door pickup do kinda make sense.  But I really don't understand why anyone would, apart from specific need, -want- a smaller pickup.

I went from an 88/89 S10 to a 98 F150, to a 96 F350.  I've -always- found a use for the greater cargo capacity and towing ability of the larger and larger trucks.  

For city dwellers, I certainly understand the frustration with big trucks and traffic.  Navigating a long-bed 4-door F-350 through traffic is a nightmare.  But then, I hate cities anyway.  
View Quote

Kind of why I'm leaning more towards an older 4runner and a fuckin trailer for when I need to haul shit in the open.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Hipster trucklets.

I admit to having owned an S10 pickup. It was a regular cab long bed and it did good as a commuter and engine/junk hauler. It was also pretty good in the snow with the locker in the back and the cable activated front axle actuator. U-Haul wouldn't rent me a car hauler to pull with it though. Newer mini-trucks are nothing but worse than that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:40:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Government bailouts. No thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:43:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All the so called small pickups are the size of fullsized trucks a decade or so ago.  I don't get it.  I owned a 79 Ford Courier.  That was a small truck!
View Quote

There ya go.  Bring back the Chevy Luv!   and then drop a 350 into it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Patiently awaiting the 4 cyl Duramax option to hit dealers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd take a Taco over a Colorado any day. I've owned all of the popular small pickups. My favorite were the Ranger (4.0L only) and Tacoma. For Colorado prices you can have a Tacoma that will hold its value a hell of a lot better, even if they are the same quality pickup trucks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Single cab is not available on Colorado/Canyon anymore either.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understand that in 2015 Toyota no longer offered the single cab truck.
I would not be surprised if that was a good part of the reason for the decline.

Single cab is not available on Colorado/Canyon anymore either.

Why on earth would you order a single cab besides wanting to save a few bucks?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Waiting on this......

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Im still driving a Nissan D21.

And my dad loves his 07 Ranger.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:33:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Those are smaller pickups. They aren't small pickups.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:37:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yep.  Another new norm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

could it be that these small trucks are the same size as the full size of yesteryear?
almost identical dimensions and weight to a 1990 Chevy K1500  

Yep.  Another new norm.

Americans are a good 20-30 pounds heavier than in the 90's.  all that extra fat has to go somewhere...

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:38:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hipster trucklets.

I admit to having owned an S10 pickup. It was a regular cab long bed and it did good as a commuter and engine/junk hauler. It was also pretty good in the snow with the locker in the back and the cable activated front axle actuator. U-Haul wouldn't rent me a car hauler to pull with it though. Newer mini-trucks are nothing but worse than that.
View Quote

S10s were shit. The new trucks are midsize not mini trucks and are far more capable than an S10.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:42:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In all fairness you are comparing Dodge, to Ford and Chevy. The Cummins is the only reason Dodge is competitive right now. The build quality on a Ford and Chevy truck is so much better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still don't understand why a person would buy a Colorado/Canyon for more than a full sized truck. It'd be one thing if you could get one for somewhere in the low 20's, but then again I got my 4x4 Ram for 24k. Anyone who pays 30k+ for a mid sized truck isn't shopping around.

In all fairness you are comparing Dodge, to Ford and Chevy. The Cummins is the only reason Dodge is competitive right now. The build quality on a Ford and Chevy truck is so much better.

And the reason you can buy a full sized Dodge for $24k is also the reason why Dodge has the worst resale value of all trucks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:43:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
why do they want to jump ship?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of the small truck Toyota owners I know are wanting to jump ship to the Colorado and Canyon.

The same reason Toyota full sized trucks can't get a foot hold. The domestic trucks are for the most part better at what trucks do....add at least 3 inches to the package.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:49:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Government bailouts. No thanks.
View Quote

What PU do you own?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:50:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The only reason I own a large pickup is for towing. If I didn't tow a 4500lbs boat I'd have a small pickup again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.autonews.com/article/20151102/OEM/311029965?template=mobile

Now, one year after the Colorado and sibling GMC Canyon hit U.S. showrooms, Reuss has 95,000 more reasons to smile.

That's how many of the pickups GM was estimated to have sold this year through October, surpassing experts' full-year sales estimates in just 10 months. (IHS Automotive had pegged 81,000 for all of 2015.) They're getting snapped up nearly as fast as they arrive, with virtually no incentives. And customers tilt younger, more highly educated and more urban than Chevy's other pickup buyers.

So far, Reuss and other GM execs are entitled to a collective "told ya so" on one of the industry's most closely watched gambits in recent years.

Skeptics wondered why GM thought consumers would want a smaller pickup. After all, customers had been voting with their wallets for more than a decade (the market for smaller pickups has shrunk by nearly 80 percent since 2000).

The success of the Colorado and Canyon suggests buyers simply weren't being given enough compelling reasons before to consider a smaller pickup. Chevy reconfigured the Colorado as a feature-packed lifestyle vehicle for surfers and cyclists, with wireless connectivity and an Apple CarPlay infotainment interface. The Canyon was given the same goodies but with a brawnier look to appeal to more traditional pickup buyers.

I've outgrown small pickups at this point in my life, but I'm glad to see an American automaker offering a competitive option. Some day, when I sell my business and the kids are grown, I may downsize back to a compact 4x4 pickup. This looks like it'd be a fun one.

The only reason I own a large pickup is for towing. If I didn't tow a 4500lbs boat I'd have a small pickup again.

The Colorado tows 7000 lbs with the 3.6L and 7700 lbs with the 2.8L diesel tows 7700 lbs.

So basically, what's your excuse now
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:54:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not anymore, Duramax Diesel for the Colorado and it's out now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd rather get a pre-05 Tacoma and have it rebuilt to like new by a guy with a decade plus experience with everything that can go bad on them.  I'd do that long before I bought a new Government Motors, and my bet is I'd spend less money and get more truck for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of the small truck Toyota owners I know are wanting to jump ship to the Colorado and Canyon.

The Tacoma is no longer a small truck, it's practically the same size as the old Tundra.  People like me want a small truck, not a large or medium.

I'd rather get a pre-05 Tacoma and have it rebuilt to like new by a guy with a decade plus experience with everything that can go bad on them.  I'd do that long before I bought a new Government Motors, and my bet is I'd spend less money and get more truck for it.

derp
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Maybe Ford will pay attention and reintroduce the Ranger. I have a 2000 Ranger and it might need to be replaced one of these days. If a new Ranger is not available, I'm thinking about going with the Colorado/Canyon.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:06:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Maybe Ford will pay attention and reintroduce the Ranger. I have a 2000 Ranger and it might need to be replaced one of these days. If a new Ranger is not available, I'm thinking about going with the Colorado/Canyon.

View Quote

I'd like to see Dakotas back on the car lots.

Loved my Dakota.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:08:33 AM EDT
[#25]
The canyon is about the perfect size for someone who doesn't need weight hauling but wants an exposed cargo area.  Not everything to do with truce requires hauling heavy stuff, some stuff is just oddly shaped or dirty.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:08:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was meaning the 6.6 Duramax. I've got no use for a 2.4 liter Duramax. I want to tow more than 1500 lbs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already happened bro.
I was meaning the 6.6 Duramax. I've got no use for a 2.4 liter Duramax. I want to tow more than 1500 lbs.

7700 lbs...
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:17:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Diesel option is the biggest reason I think
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Diesel option is the biggest reason I think

if Toyota brought in their Diesel Hi-Lux, they'd rip the ass end out of the small pickup market so fast your eyelids would fall off.  And they'd heavily cannibalize the heavier big pickup market.  

The GMC diesel option is huge, and given a lack of toyota diesel, buyers will take what they can get.

I don't understand why toyota doesn't bring in their small diesel pickup.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:19:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

except they've been kinda mailing it in for a while now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:27:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I feel like a circus bear driving around in a compact pick-up. I had one for years and I'd  get claustrophobic in it at times.

Mid sizes are ok but I will always prefer the interior space and exterior look of a full size. I'm in the market after driving my F150 for 12 years and I'm thinking one of those new Chevy blacked out models.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:33:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Trucks are damn near impossible to find. I've seen one on a dealer lot which sold next day. My local power company bought up a fleet of them in extended cab 4x4's. I drool whenever I drive by.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:35:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I have no need for a full sized truck, or even a medium sized truck. I need a car more, but would love a bed large enough to haul things I can't with my car, and haul off trash. With my health the way it is, I can start a yard project to clean up, and by the time I get enough for a truckload to take off, I've let several days pass, just because it takes me that long to get things done that I used to be able to in a day. I can't use my car for that, but being able to toss stuff in the bed of a small truck ( I mean actually small truck ), until it's filled and then when I have another good day, taking it off to the trash dump would be great.

My plans for that, once I get out of the hole I'm in, is to find a Ford Ranger Splash, pull the engine, and drop a 5.0l from an explorer in it, along with a T-5 transmission. That's all I need. We ( friends and I ) did quite a few swaps back in the early to mid 90s, and it's a killer combo. Power is great, and gas mileage is really good, if you keep your foot out of it. It makes for a fun truck.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:45:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already happened bro.

And the engine will have nothing to do with this, the payload capacity is what will do that...

That said, towing is way above 1500 lbs.  

If your trailer doesn't have a big hitch in the pickup bed, you'll probalby be just fine with any of these small and 1/2 tons.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 3:03:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is what happens when you don't have any competition.  
See Jeep Wrangler's year after year price hikes prices far above inflation for what can also happen without any competition in a segment.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 3:10:25 AM EDT
[#34]
My dad had a late 80s toyota for a while when I was a kid. The truck in the op's link does not look like a small truck to me.

I totally would've bought a small truck if any were on the market and reasonably priced back when I was shopping for my car. All I want is something that'll fit a bike in the back.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 3:22:47 AM EDT
[#35]
But wait, I thought GM sucked Obama's wiener  
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 3:49:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

if Toyota brought in their Diesel Hi-Lux, they'd rip the ass end out of the small pickup market so fast your eyelids would fall off.  And they'd heavily cannibalize the heavier big pickup market.  

The GMC diesel option is huge, and given a lack of toyota diesel, buyers will take what they can get.

I don't understand why toyota doesn't bring in their small diesel pickup.  
View Quote

Probably because they don't want to pull a VW move?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Can GM design anything or do they just use Holden for everything.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:09:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Welcome to why I own an El Camino....
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hipster trucklets.

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#40]
They are not "small" trucks
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#41]
When Tacos are selling like hot cakes, how can GMC say they were taking a "gamble" on selling small trucks again?  
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
Small trucks are the worst of both worlds. Gas mileage close to a full size truck with half the capacity and towing ability.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They are not "small" trucks
View Quote

That's what cracks me up about Mossberg's post I "lol"d above. He's all "it's too teeny" and the other detractors are like "just get a full size, these trucks are 7/8ths the size!"

They're mid size trucks, valuable as that because they have more capability than a pee wee S10 or old style Ranger, yet fit in areas/garages etc. that full size trucks don't.

And that's a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Toyota should have kept the Tacoma the size it was back in 04.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#45]
I second that. A modern power gain and a sheet metal and interior update on a Ranger XLT would be money.
update
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Is this retail sales or fleet + retail?  

I know a lot of companies changing to the basic work truck model both in TX and CA.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Are yeti and bone collector stickers factory options?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bring back the S10 and Ranger. Keep them cheap and they will fly off the lots.

This

The pics I've seen of the Ranger, it's not a small truck anymore
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Must be a Troll/Shill.  Nice try Obama.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Told ya so moment?  The fuck?  It's called economics.

When you raise the prices on your full size pickups by a large magnitude of course you will have more buyers for your cheaper smaller trucks.

Up next, GM sells more Camaro SS's now than they did when Corvettes were cheaper.
Page / 5
Top Top