User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't sound like a coward at all. You sound like a man who avoided taking a human life, and that's something to be proud of.
View Quote

+1
(and this).
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Cop didn't do his job.
Should have hauled him off for disorderly conduct, property damage, and if he made any threats towards you or your wife assault.
He should have spent the night in detox at least.
View Quote

yes. it sounds like a lazy cop. that's ridiculous to see the size difference and hear your testimony AND the wife's and do nothing.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

so how soon does he have to get all of his stuff out of the house? I'm assuming he's moving on ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip

so how soon does he have to get all of his stuff out of the house? I'm assuming he's moving on ?

He's been gone for a week now. Half way across the country.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wow, I think you did just about everything wrong in that scenario.
View Quote

oh my. this should be good. grab a beer everyone. we're about to hear how a REAL man would do it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If I were you OP, I'd immediately go to court to do the following:

- restraining order/ex-parte whatever prohibiting him from threatening you all and destroying your shit
- initiate eviction proceedings
- apply for a court order mandating alcohol rehab

Remove all your weapons from anywhere he can get to, stay somewhere else for now or at the very least carry all the time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

sound advice here.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not going to get banned for telling you what I really think of your comment. All I will say is even my wife agrees that me not coming back into the house at that point was the best decision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"but he was apparently right up in her face screaming. My reason for staying outside was that I didn't want to startle him or trigger him to do something rash."

well at least your wife knows you will protect her.... Wow.

you must be better than me. I wouldn't have put up with that at all. no matter what.

I'm not going to get banned for telling you what I really think of your comment. All I will say is even my wife agrees that me not coming back into the house at that point was the best decision.

Of course she agrees now that it worked out. If it hadn't and he had done something to her,  she might feel differently if she was still around to have an opinion.

From the way it sounds he was certainly capable and volatile enough where something much worse could have happened.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Unload on him with a good pepper spray. Zip tie him till LE arrives.
Enabling an addict is worse than ignoring them.  he fucked up AGAIN.  OP & wife enables. The wife wants to help her brother, have her put the motel on her CC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is horrible. He needs to be kicked out. I would carry all the time around him if I were you. Be prepared to shoot him. I wouldn't tolerate someone getting in my wife's face and screaming. Just because he is muscled up doesn't actually mean he knows how to fight.

You need to talk to him when he is sober. Don't kick him out after he's been drinking or he'll just fly into another rage. You may actually have to shoot him then.

Unload on him with a good pepper spray. Zip tie him till LE arrives.
Enabling an addict is worse than ignoring them.  he fucked up AGAIN.  OP & wife enables. The wife wants to help her brother, have her put the motel on her CC.

how much pepper spray experience do you have? I was trained how to fight through it before I deployed to iraq. granted, not everyone got training like I did, but let me tell you, someone who's been sprayed before or is trained, or just motivated can see well enough to find you, and if they can grab you, they can channel all of that pain into anger.

if you are going to spray someone, step two should be running, not screwing with zip-ties.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Never mind, read your response to another thread. I agree, to a point. I would never have left my wife alone with him and I would have called the cops earlier but, that is based on my own dealings with a shitbag addict family member who I've had similar experiences with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never mind, read your response to another thread. I agree, to a point. I would never have left my wife alone with him and I would have called the cops earlier but, that is based on my own dealings with a shitbag addict family member who I've had similar experiences with.

taking into account the panic and fear of the moment, and since he's on this site, I'm assuming he had his gun, and trusted that he wouldn't hurt his sister.
I don't doubt that if she had cried out, the big boy would be dead. . .   we might all wish we would do something "different", but I don't think he did it wrong.
of course, I have no real training in this situation. . . . I did have to evict a drunken relative once, but thank god she was much smaller than me. I cannot imagine it if she were bigger though, because it was scary enough.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK, I'm back. Didn't feel like updating before everything was done.

He is gone.

Read that again. He's gone. Wife picked up MIL at airport, she arrived, we loaded his car and they took off immediately. No arguments, no compromises, nothing.

I feel like a great weight is off my shoulders. My wife is recounting the whole thing to her sister via phone and turns out he had been drinking all day unbeknownst to us. I had taken him to pick up his car earlier in the day and he didn't get back for like an hour and a half. You can't buy liquor (even Fireball) locally. Takes about 40 minutes each way. So he drank 2 750ml bottles of Fireball through the afternoon and then went to get a 12 pack of Bud Light Platinum. Hr has no recollection driving to get the beer or drinking it. I wasn't here when he left, so I have no idea what he was like, but apparently he seemed OK.

I don't fucking know. This was easily, without a question, one of the most stressful, and frankly terrifying experiences of my life. I'll say exactly what I said to my mom, I have never in my 30 years on this earth, been in fear for my life at the hands of another person. I did that night.

I know many of you question some of my decisions. I do too. I've never had to react under circumstances like this.
View Quote

I'm glad it's over, OP.  Alcoholics do suck.  I deal with them often in medicine.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He would have knocked him unconscious with his 18 inch dick, then pissed on him to establish dominance.  Maybe a good dry-humping to drive the point home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would you have done differently? Not trying to be confrontational, just curious.

He would have knocked him unconscious with his 18 inch dick, then pissed on him to establish dominance.  Maybe a good dry-humping to drive the point home.

LOL
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You guys recommending hitting him with pepper spray or a baseball bat have clearly never dealt with a drunk like this.

At that level of intoxication, particularly the blackout state, your body and what's left of your mind is running on autopilot.  The higher functions have shut down.

You don't feel much.  Pepper spray would just trigger a rage reaction, and hitting someone would do the same unless the blow is so hard that it turns off the lights for real.  If it doesn't, drunk blackout guy in very good condition is likely to take that bat from him and beat him with it.  

I don't think OP wants to do that.

OP does need to get him out of their house ASAP.  You aren't going to win in this situation or get anything positive out of it.  Your BIL is going to continue what he's doing - make excuses, then a bunch of promises, then clean up his act for a couple of days MAX......then do it again.

No need to make you or your wife suffer with it and no sense to do it either.  You subject yourself to the crap, and it simply prolongs the inevitable for him.

Stupid.
View Quote

this site really needs a "like" button.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You couldn't have him charged with property damage?
View Quote

I would have thought he could do this at the very least.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Got to the update. That's good at least.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This will be a somewhat short reply as I'm on my phone back at the hospital. Had to leave at 6 to feed critters at home.

To address the most common question, no he will not be allowed back in our house aside from picking up his shit. Wife and I are unanimous on that. We're hoping he'll self admit to psych once he wakes up, he's still passed out. His only option today is to stay in the hospital. He has no transportation here and I will not take him back to our place. Period. We will go from there, but he will NOT be living with us.

As of 7 AM his BAC was still 0.177. Keep in mind his 0.27 last night was taken almost 4 hours after his last drink...

I can't respond to the individual posts that I'd like to on my phone, but for those that are critical of my actions, in many ways I agree with you. I can't justify some of my actions. I feel in most ways like I did the best I could given that I have NEVER dealt with someone behaving in that manner. It was truly terrifying.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, prayers and support. We greatly appreciate it.
View Quote
I wouldn't let such a person back into the house for any reason.

His shit can be packed and sent to him.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn't read all the comments but I hope I can show as much constraint as you if I'm ever confronted by any of my wife's brothers on a drunk.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Youngest of 3 kids, only male child, baseball star from a young age through a very successful HS career. Was being scout by Cleveland until he tore his rotator cuff.  Parents for whatever fucking reason allowed him to drink at family functions and at home from, I believe, age 14 or so. He was drinking openly at our wedding reception at age 16. They absolutely let him get away with murder. I HOPE this is the wake up call they needed. I know his mom is, understandably, very upset right now.

Now to attempt to address a few other things. Yes, he's home tonight. Tonight only. He's leaving tomorrow with his mom. Period end of discussion.

He has an appointment and a bed at an inpatient facility near their home, not here. He will never be moving in with us again, rest assured of that. If he would've gotten his head out of the clouds about playing pro baseball, he could nearly have a 4 yr degree and a career.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP, you handled this situation well.  You have much more patience than I would have with a BIL like that!  

Don't allow yourself to hate your BIL.  His life is a train wreck, and you have fulfilled any obligations to help him out.  He's simply broken, and you won't be able to fix him.  in

How on earth did he get in that situation?  Was he was spoiled as a kid?

Youngest of 3 kids, only male child, baseball star from a young age through a very successful HS career. Was being scout by Cleveland until he tore his rotator cuff.  Parents for whatever fucking reason allowed him to drink at family functions and at home from, I believe, age 14 or so. He was drinking openly at our wedding reception at age 16. They absolutely let him get away with murder. I HOPE this is the wake up call they needed. I know his mom is, understandably, very upset right now.

Now to attempt to address a few other things. Yes, he's home tonight. Tonight only. He's leaving tomorrow with his mom. Period end of discussion.

He has an appointment and a bed at an inpatient facility near their home, not here. He will never be moving in with us again, rest assured of that. If he would've gotten his head out of the clouds about playing pro baseball, he could nearly have a 4 yr degree and a career.
He did not have a very successful high school career as there is no such thing as a career in high school.  Ask Al Bundy.

The family doesn't know what to do with him.  They probably don't even think of him as an alcoholic.

They have done the only thing they know, which is to put up with his shit while he get's worse.

Check out http://www.stephaniebrownphd.com/

She can explain to you how alcoholics act and think.  They are essentially two year olds.  She also explains how they get their way and get other people to put up with their shit.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Not even an issue. He's on his way back to Ohio. All their family is up there, so no reason for him to ever come back down. I really hope he gets this under control. He'll also be extremely lucky if his liver isn't totally trashed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP,

Make damn sure you stick by your guns here. No one should have to live in fear of an out of control human being when he or she directly has it within their power to fix the situation.

In words which the brother in law can understand: This ain't baseball. You're not getting another strike.

You can care about someone all you want, pray for them all you can but at the end of the day it's up to them and them alone to deal with their problems.

Watch the wife next. If she's not 100% in line with your decision, look for a repeat should she permit the guy back into your house. At that point in time I would be carefully evaluating the merits of staying together.

Not even an issue. He's on his way back to Ohio. All their family is up there, so no reason for him to ever come back down. I really hope he gets this under control. He'll also be extremely lucky if his liver isn't totally trashed.
They can go for decades before that happens.  Then again, it happens to some of them pretty quick.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, he doesn't give a fuck about you, himself or anyone else in life.

He's another self destructive narcissist, he's going to:

Die
End up in prison
Wake the fuck up

It usually isn't the last one first.  These types of people drag so many well intentioned people down into their web of misery.

Don't be collateral damage because of his unrepentant selfishness.

He's the only person who can fix him, tough love is the ONLY way to fix these people.

I've been there, I feel your pain.  All you can do is cut him out.  If you want him to destroy your life too, keep enabling him.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Those of you responding without reading the last 5 pages have missed the fact that he's been out of our house for a week now. Damn, feels like a long ass time now. He will not be coming back here ever. If there's even a hint that my wife would consider letting him back with us, I'll be gone.

I actually wish someone wouldn't have bumped this thread. I was finally starting to forget about this shit and move on and now it's all rushing back and raw again.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If there's even a hint that my wife would consider letting him back with us, I'll be gone.
View Quote

Does she know this?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Does she know this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If there's even a hint that my wife would consider letting him back with us, I'll be gone.

Does she know this?

Yes. I may or may not have posted it earlier, but when we were trying to figure out what to do when the hospital wouldn't admit him and they couldn't get him a rehab bed immediately and her only solution was for him to come home with us, I was fully prepared to leave that night if their mom hadn't had a flight booked for the next day to come get him. I had a freaking panic attack making that decision, BTW. I decided it wasn't worth losing my marriage over him being there for one night. As it was, everything went as planned and he left the next day.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Sucky situation all around.  Saying that the guy has SERIOUS alcoholism problems would be quite the understatement.  Most people are tempted to try and help family, but there are those in life who simply cannot be saved.  They need to WANT to change.  Otherwise all the rehab programs in the world won't set them straight.

Best case scenario is they turn their life around.
Middle ground is they end up killing themselves and not hurting anyone else.
Worst case is that they drag others down with them or kill people in a DUI accident/domestic violence incident.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:27:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip

At what point is he legally not living there anymore?  Have you found out?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:32:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes. I may or may not have posted it earlier, but when we were trying to figure out what to do when the hospital wouldn't admit him and they couldn't get him a rehab bed immediately and her only solution was for him to come home with us, I was fully prepared to leave that night if their mom hadn't had a flight booked for the next day to come get him. I had a freaking panic attack making that decision, BTW. I decided it wasn't worth losing my marriage over him being there for one night. As it was, everything went as planned and he left the next day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does she know this?

You're  fucked.

She'll let him move back.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:41:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Those of you responding without reading the last 5 pages have missed the fact that he's been out of our house for a week now. Damn, feels like a long ass time now. He will not be coming back here ever. If there's even a hint that my wife would consider letting him back with us, I'll be gone.

I actually wish someone wouldn't have bumped this thread. I was finally starting to forget about this shit and move on and now it's all rushing back and raw again.
View Quote

Call for a lock.  Seriously.  No foul.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't sweat it. You did everything right. Helping family is as American as apple pie and baseball. Most turn out good. What would a reasonable person have done under the same circumstances, knowing what you knew at the time, in your shoes, without benefit of 20/20 hindsight with mere seconds to make judgement calls.

This is actually a great example for new gun owners.

In Florida, likely Tx and most States, there are no legal self defence presumptions for anyone living in the same household. In a few States, the individual doesn't need to be a lawful occupant. Total strangers may con their way in or sneak in through an unlocked door and the lawful occupant cannot presume they mean harm. A few States consider unrelated room mates as DV. It's the bleeding heart liberal go hide under a desk second guess every move you make because you going to prison no matter what you did legal doctrine.

For whatever reason your wife didn't fear making the second intervention. She grew up with him. She knows him better than anyone. She may have gone nose to nose with him plenty of times.

You are not expected to be Achilles, Hercules, Rambo, average, a typical person or a coward. Legally you are expected to meet the minimum standard of a reasonable person. The reasonable person doesn't walk down the middle of the street, looks where he is going and before he leaps, tutors fatherless minority children, members of neighborhood crime watch and/or national guard, proudly signs up for conscription and jury duty, courageous but not reckless, a good citizen.

You trusted your wife's lifetime judgement knowing how her brother reacts. You did not agitate or escalate with your presence but stood ready to intervene with force. All reasonable.

We don't need or want the State involved in most things. You waited until the last moment to call and de-escalated. Nothing wrong with that and not unreasonable. When LEO arrived, your BIL de-escalated and agreed to voluntary treatment.

Consider a lot of LEO are pro Second Amendment and know the consequences of a criminal record. BIL wasn't pounding his chest demanding joiner resisting authoritah like the current crop of PINAC copblock libertarian Peace Corp commies. In 10 or 20 years you don't want to be part of pushing a criminal record on your BIL. Here's one example of millions of similar LEO contacts per year acting as peace officer. It's not on flashing neon headlines of msm, huffinpos or unreason.com. It doesn't fit their left wing progressive liberal agendas. In fact, in this thread, there's speculation LEO was a coward, weak, didn't know his job, lazy .......

It was a table. He is your wife's brother and your brother in law. He may go back to the bottle and roids or not. He may turn out to be as close to you as any blood brother. Obviously after this, do not allow him to move back but he needs family support if the parents are willing.

Good luck to you and your family.

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top