BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lol I was just asking myself the exact same question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
overhead enclosure diving is incredibly dangerous. At 194 ft as well? Fuck that.

RIP

Cavern diving is extremely dangerous....you need certification...tons of experience...and triple redundant safety along with backup divers ready
to rescue....with a well practiced plan in place.

Sounds like a place where permanent safety cables leading in an out are not in place?

http://www.tamug.edu/cavebiology/Bahamas/caves/images/GuardianMap.jpg

Whole lotta NOPE in that picture. Gotta love all those squeeze points... And the question marks are just so comforting.

How the hell does that giant section support itself with no bottom and basically no top connection. Am I looking at it wrong?

Lol I was just asking myself the exact same question.

Not the same Blue Hole. The Guardian Blue Hole is in the Bahamas.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You are quite correct. He's a dumbass for considering thrill seeking to be more important than his family.

That's okay, his family can have a garage sale and sell off all his cave diving junk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder if he got that sinking feeling at some point

Obviously, you are not a diver. You obviously are not funny either.

Your butthurt and avatart are very funny.

You seem bends out of shape.

Really.  This isn't some dumb ass who brought his kid with him or deserves a Darwin award or was committing a crime.  It's a 43 year old explorer with a family.  That guilt that you must have somewhere deep down at piling on and posting something you can't possibly think is funny... I'd listen to it.

You are quite correct. He's a dumbass for considering thrill seeking to be more important than his family.

That's okay, his family can have a garage sale and sell off all his cave diving junk.

agree 100%, do stupid shit when you are young, single and with no one depending on you..doing stupid shit with a family is fucking retarded. And I would also put MC in this category, I rode, I loved it..I also realized that being alive, able to provide and be there for your family instead of dead or a vegetable and being a drain to them is more important
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So, do you think making jokes about someone's death is good sport or appropriate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder if he got that sinking feeling at some point

Obviously, you are not a diver. You obviously are not funny either.

Your butthurt and avatart are very funny.

You seem bends out of shape.

So, do you think making jokes about someone's death is good sport or appropriate?

was it an accident or a choice to go into a confined space 200 feet below the water line?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

was it an accident or a choice to go into a confined space 200 feet below the water line?
View Quote
it was quite plainly an accident. To question that is beyond retarded.

And just because some people are scared of their own mangina farts doesn't mean everyone is.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
There ain't a rock in the fucking universe that's so pretty that I want to die staring at it in a water-filled hole.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There ain't a rock in the fucking universe that's so pretty that I want to die staring at it in a water-filled hole.
View Quote

Had a patient die yesterday moving a coffee table.  Shit happens.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Of all the things that I want to do in life.   Cave diving is not one of them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wreck diving is much better
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And just because some people are scared of their own mangina farts doesn't mean everyone is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no he chose to put himself in that situation, no one else. Wild idea-don't go into caves and you won't drown in a cave
ETA: lol, fear and stupidity are pretty much mutually exclusive in this situation, I did plenty of non mangina fart fearing stuff...when I was ..young..single, with no one else depending upon me...grow the fuck up or take no responsibility
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Been posted here before, but an interesting read about another experienced cave diver.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1922711/raising-dead

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Been posted here before, but an interesting read about another experienced cave diver.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1922711/raising-dead

Ten minutes into his dive, Dave Shaw started to look for the bottom. Utter blackness pressed in on him from all sides, and he directed his high-intensity light downward, hoping for a flash of rock or mud. Shaw, a 50-year-old Aussie, was in an alien world, more than 800 feet below the surface pool that marks the entrance to Bushman's Hole, a remote sinkhole in the Northern Cape province of South Africa and the third-deepest freshwater cave known to man.

Man what a read... I lost my dad to a scuba diving accident when I was 20. Off the coast of California. That story was a tough read, but I'm glad I did. Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Caves are not a no, they are a HELL NO.  

I feel bad for the family, glad they at least recovered the body quickly.  
View Quote

In the other thread there was a video of a guy who went down to recover another divers body quite some time after the first diver died.

The second diver died while trying to recover the body. On video

Several days later they both floated up to depths where they were much easier to recover
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#13]
So what happens when your tank runs out. of oxygen. I assume you try to breath but its like someone has their hand over your mouth. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Man Sticks Hand in Bear Trap; Trap Closes on Wrist
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
In the other thread there was a video of a guy who went down to recover another divers body quite some time after the first diver died.

Several days later they both floated up to depths where they were much easier to recover

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Caves are not a no, they are a HELL NO.  

I feel bad for the family, glad they at least recovered the body quickly.  

Was the link I posted a few pages back.  

I watched a little of the video, it is out there.  Pretty damn hard to watch.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The #1 nope tied with being on-fire.
View Quote

I'd take death by fire and be happy about it
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Expense.  It adds a lot of complexity and requires more proficiency than tanks. Tanks are simple and reliable.  Consider that most divers don't dive all that often, like myself.  If I cleaned my stuff before I put it away a few months ago there is an excellent chance my gauges and Scuba Pro Mk25/600 is going to work just fine.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do people still use air tanks? Don't they have rebreathers and things now that take the oxygen from the water?

Expense.  It adds a lot of complexity and requires more proficiency than tanks. Tanks are simple and reliable.  Consider that most divers don't dive all that often, like myself.  If I cleaned my stuff before I put it away a few months ago there is an excellent chance my gauges and Scuba Pro Mk25/600 is going to work just fine.  

Don't they also need certain mixes at depth?  M not sure but how would a breather work in those situations?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That picture is a cross-section. Think of it like a skywalk between two buildings.

So much nope in cave diving. Just thinking about it in the safety of my own home here is raising my blood pressure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How the hell does that giant section support itself with no bottom and basically no top connection. Am I looking at it wrong?

That picture is a cross-section. Think of it like a skywalk between two buildings.

So much nope in cave diving. Just thinking about it in the safety of my own home here is raising my blood pressure.

Gotcha
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Don't they also need certain mixes at depth?  M not sure but how would a breather work in those situations?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do people still use air tanks? Don't they have rebreathers and things now that take the oxygen from the water?

Yeah, I cannot really comment on how the rebreather handles it.  Anything below about 300 and you have to get into some real exotic mixes and they change as your depth changes.  Too much 02 deep is deadly.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The #1 nope tied with being on-fire.
View Quote

A friend is a cave diving instructor.  He's insane. NFW I would do it.  I'll take the fire, Toledo.

TC
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#22]
If anyone is interested in some really NOPE diving, check out "Descent into Darkness" by Edward Raymer.  

http://www.amazon.com/Descent-into-Darkness-Harbor-Divers/dp/1591147247

Dude was on the Navy Dive Recovery teams at Pearl Harbor.  Talks about the work they did on the ships trying to get them righted for salvage.  You can imagine how tough it would be diving around a pitch black ship, upside down, in oil filed water.  With dead bodies floating all around you.  Absolutely riveting book
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah that guy that died upside down in a cave whole spelunking,  fuck that. I believe water started to collect in the hole his head was stuck in as well,  drowning him upside down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
By the time Young finally found Thompson, he was already dead.

Not sure how your partner has air, finds him, and dude is already dead.

Panic

Eta: this thread reminds me of the one awhile back about caving and cave diving. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Yeah that guy that died upside down in a cave whole spelunking,  fuck that. I believe water started to collect in the hole his head was stuck in as well,  drowning him upside down.

IIRC he didn't drown. He was just upside down too long. They initially had a line attached to him and had him pulled up to the edge but the anchor pulled and he dropped and wedged in even worse. Absolutely horrible, gives me chills.

If I was somehow forced to go into tight caves like that I would want one of those secret agent cyanide pills. What a terrible way to die, drowning is horrible but fairly quick. That poor guy essentially took 24+ hours to die, upside down, not able to move and in the pitch black
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

IIRC he didn't drown. He was just upside down too long. They initially had a line attached to him and had him pulled up to the edge but the anchor pulled and he dropped and wedged in even worse. Absolutely horrible, gives me chills.

If I was somehow forced to go into tight caves like that I would want one of those secret agent cyanide pills. What a terrible way to die, drowning is horrible but fairly quick. That poor guy essentially took 24+ hours to die, upside down, not able to move and in the pitch black
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
By the time Young finally found Thompson, he was already dead.

Not sure how your partner has air, finds him, and dude is already dead.

Panic

Eta: this thread reminds me of the one awhile back about caving and cave diving. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

I'll take dying moving the coffee table any day.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#25]
sad
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#26]
i love caving and i want to learn to dive but i don't want to ever do both at the same time lol.

you want to feel alone turn off the lights in a cave.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would love to dive on a U-boat.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A man has got to know his limitations.  Tragic but there is a reason it is considered dangerous.

https://jupiterdivecenter.com/wp-content/uploads/Cave-Diving.jpg
View Quote

>Nothing worth dying for
>Loot of over 300 people, some of them high level

I'm getting mixed messages here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've been through Santa Rosa, total shithole. Nothing against the diver.
View Quote

It used to be a regular stop on my runs to visit relatives in Texas.
Thought it was an interesting town, albeit a bit run down.  
The "Blue Hole" itself is in a nice little park just about down-town, near some fishing ponds.
Lots of water there considering the location.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If anyone is interested in some really NOPE diving, check out "Descent into Darkness" by Edward Raymer.  

Dude was on the Navy Dive Recovery teams at Pearl Harbor.  Talks about the work they did on the ships trying to get them righted for salvage.  You can imagine how tough it would be diving around a pitch black ship, upside down, in oil filed water.  With dead bodies floating all around you.  Absolutely riveting book
View Quote

Here you go again, Arfcom, costing me more dang money!
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#31]
a man must know his limitations
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

He died doing what he loved.
View Quote

dying aint much of a living

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#33]
What a terrible way to go.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#34]
tragedy.  overhead diving is ridiculously dangerous.  I feel bad for his family.

However, sealing the caves is stupid. Some morons here in utah did that to Nutty Putty caves after one dude screwed up and died in there.  A cave system utilized by tens of thousands of scouts, for generations,  sealed up cause one guy fumbled the ball. Dumb.

They should map those caves with a UAV, and special permit divers who want to dive them. People like doing dangerous shit, don't wall off a natural wonder cause someone made a mistake.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I think the key to what went wrong is somewhere in this statement: "The two divers entered a narrow chamber about 194 feet deep in waters with no visibility due to the silt."
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's on my bucket list, but getting farther away. I took a GUE Primer, was told my kicks were up to at least a Fundies rec pass, and started getting gear. Doubles setup with manifold/wing/LP95s/used can light/etc. for local quarry practice, AOW, and more advanced training. My ambition has been stymied before even hitting AOW. I live in a landlocked high desert with a nondiving spouse and coworkers who are tropical-only divers, kids too young to dive, and insufficient time & funds to travel myself to remain proficient. Nobody wants to go sit in a local silty pond practicing drills.

The guy who was my Primer instructor was solid and willing to mentor me, but it's a 5 hour drive just to get to his location, and he's no longer appearing on the GUE instructor list. The nearest GUE or UTD instructors are now much farther away.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Interesting to read that Young NOW wants the caves sealed off for being too dangerous even though HE got permission after they had been off limits. While tragic, that is total BS and my respect for him dropped like a rock.
View Quote

Yeah, picked up on that too.  Feel the same way.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I've heard of skygods, are there watergods as well?

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#39]
http://www.navimate.com/

The accuracy and convenience

of GPS is finally available for recreational and technical

divers in a wrist-mounted unit.

See your exact latitude and longitude while underwater

Detailed map of underwater terrain

keeps you oriented (where available)

Computer interface allows saving of marked

points and downloading of new maps

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#40]
It happens, that sucks. Exploring caves that are not well mapped out is hazardous. My guess is a 'brown out' occurred from the silt being kicked up, the procedure at that point is both divers should have stopped and waited a few for the waters to clear, if it didn't they should have turned back together but damn that sucks.

Never have been in that cave but honestly, I've lost my interest in caves partially for this reason.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

breathing water?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He died doing what he loved.

breathing water?

Ok, I didn't want to, but I snorted.  

Which feels, somehow, appropriate.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been diving on and off since the eighties and I've done a little caving.  Even before I started having some issues with claustrophobia* I never had the desire to try cave diving.  I seriously don't think that you could pay me enough to try it now.

* No idea why since I wasn't when I was younger, I started noticing it back in the late nineties during a confined space rescue refresher.  At this point I'm not sure that I could complete a real confined space rescue class where you have to wiggled through a pipe..  
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I have surfed 20' waves,ridden motorbikes way too fast and have been passenger in a professionally driven rally car,been in a plane with gear failure...The only time I have ever 100% lost my composure and freaked was caving,above ground. NFW am I doing that underwater. I'm not sure I even respect it,more like place it with free handling venomous snakes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Dumb.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
It's on my bucket list, but getting farther away. I took a GUE Primer, was told my kicks were up to at least a Fundies rec pass, and started getting gear. Doubles setup with manifold/wing/LP95s/used can light/etc. for local quarry practice, AOW, and more advanced training. My ambition has been stymied before even hitting AOW. I live in a landlocked high desert with a nondiving spouse and coworkers who are tropical-only divers, kids too young to dive, and insufficient time & funds to travel myself to remain proficient. Nobody wants to go sit in a local silty pond practicing drills.

The guy who was my Primer instructor was solid and willing to mentor me, but it's a 5 hour drive just to get to his location, and he's no longer appearing on the GUE instructor list. The nearest GUE or UTD instructors are now much farther away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious, have you dove any of the stuff in Oregon?  I am looking at a possible relocation to ID and shocked how pretty some of the places were up there.  

I actually live across the street from the back and GoM, but most of it is undivable unless you go offshore.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#47]
From what I can discern so far it sounds like it was simply a case of panic.  I didn't know Shane, I'm not sure that he'd had a lot of experience pushing tight, low visibility caves.  It's a different type of cave diving, and if he hadn't done much, that deep is not really the place to learn.

It's not (usually, there are some exceptions) actively any more or less dangerous assuming you're prepared, it's simply not forgiving of any screw ups.  Panic is never a constructive behavior, and in that kind of situation it becomes distinctly self destructive.  Usually it's a cascade of events, one thing goes wrong, which leads to another, and so on.  This is exactly why you have to be able to stop yourself, prioritize what problem to address and try and fix it one at a time.

Why he followed into the restriction we will likely never know.  He may have misinterpreted Mike's signals, or just decided to take a look.  For whatever reason, it doesn't sound as though he handled the ensuing situation very well.

As far as to what contributed to his death that quickly, I don't know.  He could have lost the DSV and flooded the loop.  Or just spit it out.  It's not been that unusual to find OC divers with gas still in their tanks.

It's sad that he passed.  But it was very nearly a dual fatality.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

no he chose to put himself in that situation, no one else. Wild idea-don't go into caves and you won't drown in a cave
ETA: lol, fear and stupidity are pretty much mutually exclusive in this situation, I did plenty of non mangina fart fearing stuff...when I was ..young..single, with no one else depending upon me...grow the fuck up or take no responsibility
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol. Some people just don't get it.  Any excuse to hide
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So what happens when your tank runs out. of oxygen. I assume you try to breath but its like someone has their hand over your mouth. Is that correct?
View Quote

Pretty much
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They adjust for depth
Page / 8
Archived [ARCHIVED THREAD] - Expert diver died after getting trapped overnight navigating the dangerous Blue Hole caverns in NM (Page 3 of 8)
Page General » General Discussion
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top