BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you guys think of Jeff Cavaliere of Athlean-X?  He has some great videos and is incredibly ripped and many question whether he's on gear or not?

I think his diet is on point and consistent for years and probably has killer genetics.
View Quote

He got called out for using fake weights.

I think that he has a lot of good info, but you need to sift through it. He's very much about his online presence so he turned into a video factory, and there is a lot of weird stuff in there you kind of have to discard.

That's a problem for beginners. Anyone who is just starting out needs to get on a basic schedule, with basic progression, and hammer a handful of exercises consistently. It's boring as hell, but it works, you don't need Jeff's 5 different ways to target upper chest workout or anything.

Alan Thrall and Brian Alsruhe did a Q and A video together several years ago and agreed that a big mistake beginners make is just not getting time under the bar. I do it, we all do it, don't overthink your training, just get under the bar, that's when the most progress is made.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I think that he has a lot of good info, but you need to sift through it. He's very much about his online presence so he turned into a video factory, and there is a lot of weird stuff in there you kind of have to discard.

That's a problem for beginners. Anyone who is just starting out needs to get on a basic schedule, with basic progression, and hammer a handful of exercises consistently. It's boring as hell, but it works, you don't need Jeff's 5 different ways to target upper chest workout or anything.

Alan Thrall and Brian Alsruhe did a Q and A video together several years ago and agreed that a big mistake beginners make is just not getting time under the bar. I do it, we all do it, don't overthink your training, just get under the bar, that's when the most progress is made.
View Quote

Everything works when you’re a beginner.  I agree with what you’re saying...don’t worry about fancy programs or scientific details when you’re a beginner just work hard on compound movements.  When the beginner gains expire then worry about science and all the little details.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If there's one thing iv'e learned over my course of time going to the gym, if you're stronger then me, you're juicing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Everything works when you’re a beginner.  I agree with what you’re saying...don’t worry about fancy programs or scientific details when you’re a beginner just work hard on compound movements.  When the beginner gains expire then worry about science and all the little details.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even intermediates get caught up in it.

You can still hammer the basic exercises, add in some assistance for any sticking points, and switch to a  more advanced progression and then continue to make progress.

I think that's why 531 works so well, Wendler encourages hitting your big lifts sub maximally, adding volume in various templates, and getting your assistance work done, but not overthinking it.

I think in one of his books he says something to the effect of "Don't try to program the assistance, just pick something and row it, it's doesn't matter"
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Diet is more of a factor than genetics until you hit top level competitions.

View Quote

This is how I see it.

Genetics is the difference maker when you are competing at competition.

You can be in astounding shape just by mindset, diet and time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is how I see it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Diet is more of a factor than genetics until you hit top level competitions.

This is how I see it.

lol. That’s really funny. Genetics is everything.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I’ve been using tongkat Ali and ashwagandha together for a week now.  I’m not sure if it’s mental or not, but I actually feel like it did something.
View Quote

Tried that.  Didn’t see any benefit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ya it’s hard to say for me because my motivation has been through the roof could be mental for me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I find this hard to believe.  I was doing 1250 at 165-170lbs.  Age 19/20 and a height of 5'8"  I wasn't even that strong compared to most of my lifting friends.
View Quote

Before I blew out a few cervical disks, My bench hit 305, my squat, hit 325, and my deadlift was 405. That was me at about 145lbs and standing a whopping 5' 3" at 41yrs old. I was quite strong for a manlet

Took a lot of work but not impossible...No gear but a LOT of caffine and willpower lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ya it’s hard to say for me because my motivation has been through the roof could be mental for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember, motivation runs out. Discipline stays.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No doubt Ronnie had good genetics.  He actually stood on the Olympia stage as a natural.  He just didn’t start winning until he got on drugs.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched a documentary on Ronnie Coleman a while back.

I think it was Flex Wheeler being interviewed and he said when he asked Ronnie how much he had cheated on his diet Ronnie just gave him a puzzeld look. Meaning cheating hadn’t even crossed his mind.

Consuming 10,000 + calories a day every day of lean protein, vegetables and healthy type carbs is no small task.

And yes, genetics counts for maybe half when you’re talking pro level.

No doubt Ronnie had good genetics.  He actually stood on the Olympia stage as a natural.  He just didn’t start winning until he got on drugs.  

No professional bodybuilder in the last 40 years has been on the O stage as a natural.  Zero.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Genetics helps a lot.  I wouldn't be half as big as I am without my dad's build.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Remember, motivation runs out. Discipline stays.
View Quote

I got that too...LOL...I'm 47 years old.  I've been doing a clean bulk for the last 3 months probably start cutting in another couple months.  I posted my pictures earlier in this thread from when I was 46 before I started my current bulk.  I will have 24 years in at my current job in March and I have 23 years of perfect attendance.  Throughout my life I've had periods of higher motivation and lower motivation, but I've proven to myself I can be disciplined in workout consistency and diet for long periods of time.

I'm likely to post pictures after my next cut some where and it will be impressive for a 47 year old.

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#14]
As I age I come to think juicing big underlying benefit is really just keeping you healthy and overcoming injury quicker. Once heard a bodybuilder say keeping your joints healthy is 90% of the battle so you arent out of the gym with injury. Ive had a shoulder issue and now a elbow issue keep me from weights for probably 6-7 months out of the past two years.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Genetics helps a lot.  I wouldn't be half as big as I am without my dad's build.
View Quote

A friend of mine is about 2" taller, but his wrists and ankles are twice as thick as mine, he's built like a caveman.

He was complaining one day that he couldn't get a 6 pack because he was too barrel chested, it just never worked out.

That fucker squatted 400 lbs when he was 20 without even working that hard to get there and he was bitching because he could only diet down to a 4 pack.

He was just had a build that favored strength, but didn't do him any favors for being lean or endurance work (he struggled on long runs in soccer).

Everyone kind of has their own thing that they are best built for and will do better at, but it's still not a reason to use it as an excuse.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As I age I come to think juicing big underlying benefit is really just keeping you healthy and overcoming injury quicker. Once heard a bodybuilder say keeping your joints healthy is 90% of the battle so you arent out of the gym with injury. Ive had a shoulder issue and now a elbow issue keep me from weights for probably 6-7 months out of the past two years.
View Quote

Nothing about gear keeps you healthy or helps you heal. I'm sure someone will chime in saying nandrolone helps lube the joints. Great, it also directly causes LVH.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a friend that is similar build as me.  He also has equal work ethic in the gym as me.  I’ve been slightly ahead of him all my life because my diet is better.  He likes to drink and party and I don’t.  Six months ago he decided to start juicing.  He immediately passed me on the big 3 compound lifts.  He has also passed me putting on size in that time.  He was only going to do it for a short time, but now he’s addicted to it.  

I’m impressed with his results and support him.  I’m not going to judge, but addiction is real.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Pros eat lots of Creatine, take selfies in the mirror, carry a gallon jug of water and grunt alot at the gym.

Oh...wear Joe Weider baggy pants and a muscle shirt so everyone knows you lift.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pros eat lots of Creatine, take selfies in the mirror, carry a gallon jug of water and grunt alot at the gym.

Oh...wear Joe Weider baggy pants and a muscle shirt so everyone knows you lift.
View Quote

Screw that I wear shorts and a medium t-shirt that barely fits so I’m busting out of it lol.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#20]
As for comparing gym lifts to competition lifts...

You have weight classes and have to make weight.  You also have to hit depth and wait for commands.  Like pausing in bench until the press command.  These things make a huge difference.  

Here is John Haack not making weight by two pounds so he had to compete in 220 instead of the 198 lbs class.  One of his squats didn’t count because he missed depth by a hair and one of his deadlift didn’t count.

John Haack
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You have weight classes and have to make weight.  You also have to hit depth and wait for commands.  Like pausing in bench until the press command.  These things make a huge difference.  

Here is John Haack not making weight by two pounds so he had to compete in 220 instead of the 198 lbs class.  One of his squats didn’t count because he missed depth by a hair and one of his deadlift didn’t count.

John Haack
View Quote

If it doesn't count in a comp than it doesn't count.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Facts.

Eta:  some people don’t realize how strict powerlifting competition is and that there are enforced weight classes.  Bouncing a bench off your chest makes a huge difference vs pausing and knee bends aren’t the same as full depth squats lol.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nothing about gear keeps you healthy or helps you heal. I'm sure someone will chime in saying nandrolone helps lube the joints. Great, it also directly causes LVH.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steroids absolutely help you heal from injury.  That's a different qualitative statement than saying steroids keep you healthy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#24]

That's Sean Connery.  Sean Connery was one of the last natural Mr. Olympias.

That's what really hard work, good genetics, and no gear get you.

If someone is more built than that, there's a good chance they are either running gear, or have run gear in the past.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Steroids absolutely help you heal from injury.  That's a different qualitative statement than saying steroids keep you healthy.
View Quote

BPC-157 and BP-500 are great for injuries. While not an anabolic, it still falls under PEDs which all idiots yell roids at.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://i.redd.it/h5iojx5d13xz.jpg

If someone is more built than that, there's a good chance they are either running gear, or have run gear in the past.
View Quote

You don’t think science has improved what we know about diet and exercise since the 50’s and 60’s?  Obviously pro’s on the Olympia stage and top weightlifters and power lifters are using drugs, but there have been other improvements as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A friend of mine is about 2" taller, but his wrists and ankles are twice as thick as mine, he's built like a caveman.

He was complaining one day that he couldn't get a 6 pack because he was too barrel chested, it just never worked out.

That fucker squatted 400 lbs when he was 20 without even working that hard to get there and he was bitching because he could only diet down to a 4 pack.

He was just had a build that favored strength, but didn't do him any favors for being lean or endurance work (he struggled on long runs in soccer).

Everyone kind of has their own thing that they are best built for and will do better at, but it's still not a reason to use it as an excuse.
View Quote

In my 20s I had a lean swimmer build from running all the damned time (thanks Army) and not working weights.

Now I'm bulked out quite a lot from weights and light cardio.  Those 8 pack abs are still there but slightly padded these days
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The first Mr. Olympia competition was in 1965.

Sean Connery was never in the competition.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are a lot of people who aren't on steroids who have a better physique than that. Tons. The game has changed a lot. Imagine that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The first Mr. Olympia competition was in 1965.

Sean Connery was never in the competition.
View Quote

You are correct this is the first Mr Olympia.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Haack

Yup, and HS comps are laughable.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There is no substitute for genetics. You have to have that natural foundation.
View Quote

Otherwise we could all grow fantastic brains like Pinky.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Otherwise we could all grow fantastic brains like Pinky.
View Quote

In true GD fashion, why not both
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#35]
After several years doing powerlifting routines and never really working biceps directly I recently switched to this workout schedule.  

Saturday:

Squat 3 x 5
Leg extension 3 x 12
Hamstring curls 3 x 12
Calf raises 3 sets to failure

Sunday:

Bench press 3 x 5
Incline dumbbell fly 3 x 12 superset with incline dumbbell press

Decline dumbbell press 3 x 12
Dips 2 sets to failure body weight

Monday:

Arm day various types of curls and triceps work lots of sets and several sets to failure.

Tuesday:

Deadlift 1 x 5
Barbell rows 3 x 8
Dumbbell rows 3 x 12
Dumbbell shrugs 3 x 12

Wednesday:

Rest

Thursday:

Bench press 3 x 5
Incline fly 3 x 12 superset with incline press
Delt work hitting each with 2 sets of 12 reps.

Friday:

Rest

I’ve been seeing good results.  Every 4-6 weeks when my body tells me to I do a de load  week.  Same routine just go super light on the working sets of the compounds.  

Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top