BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did DPMS manufacture variance lowers for other and if so what brand names ?
View Quote
Yes

Fulton
Eagle
Remington
Bushmaster
AAC
and some oddball ones I can't remember
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How many guns/lowers did DPMS ship out during their existence?

Great thread, BTW.
View Quote
I don't know the exact numbers, they took my laptop when I was let go. Had all the numbers, Im sure you can get the ATF reports. In the heyday we were doing something like 1400 complete rifles a day.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
What in the world did y’all do to mess up the ART scopes so badly back when you guys had the rights to sell maintain them?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:23:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Another.

What was the stripped lower/complete gun sales ratio?
View Quote
Depends on the year, sometimes it was 10 lowers to one rifle others it was 10 rifles to 1 lower. It all depended on what we had surplus of. During the boom not many lowers were sold they all went to rifles.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What in the world did y’all do to mess up the ART scopes so badly back when you guys had the rights to sell maintain them?
View Quote
That was before my time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Too much liability with Bushmaster and I don't think DPMS will come back. PSA has conditioned everyone that a $400 AR is good and are fine with making $40 per gun. No money in it anymore.
View Quote
Very true. Only business and sales oriented folks will really understand this. In my line of work, we try to sell on technology more than “me too” products just to gain market share. Some folks want to ruin it for everyone. PSA with their carbines and Larue with his triggers
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, back during the post Assault Weapon and magazine ban days immediately after 1994, I was going to buy some 30rd DPMS branded magazines for my Colt AR15. A dealer at a gun show had them and was going to sell them to me. One was accidentally dropped and hit the concrete floor and the bottom plate of the magazine popped off of the bottom of the empty magazine and the spring and follower popped out onto the floor. I declined the purchase. Since then I have avoided all DPMS products. Was this cheaply made magazine a fluke or representative of all of their AR15 magazines?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 6 DPMS Rifles, 3 are LR308, and I have the 22LR upper.  I have never had an issue.

I always wanted the Arctic Panther, but I never found one.  I walked through the orange DPMS semi once at a gun show or the NRA Convention in Phoenix.

I was one of your biggest Fanboys.  I wondered what happened.

Thanks for this thread.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, he's quite the interesting guy...
View Quote
Id like to hear more about this, if you can expand?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#10]
What was the immediate impact when Cerebus took over?  Same with Remington.  What changes where made in how the company was run?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:43:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Great post op. But in this thread I'm realizing I'm going to regret not having a a bushy and dpms lower to go with the mega and sabre defense lowers I don't I have
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Sad to hear.
I love my G2. Only DPMS product I own.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You get that that's like 5% of the market, right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's your take on the market?  Is it just completely saturated or what?
Everyone has 10 AR's and the market is oversaturated. Also the tactical lifestyle is fading fast.

Were you watching the rally in Virginia?
You get that that's like 5% of the market, right?
I am not sure I agree with that, AR's or other modern sporting types seem more popular than ever. Yes saturated, at least AR's themselves maybe but I don't think the tactical gun purchases are going away.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:51:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OK, back during the post Assault Weapon and magazine ban days immediately after 1994, I was going to buy some 30rd DPMS branded magazines for my Colt AR15. A dealer at a gun show had them and was going to sell them to me. One was accidentally dropped and hit the concrete floor and the bottom plate of the magazine popped off of the bottom of the empty magazine and the spring and follower popped out onto the floor. I declined the purchase. Since then I have avoided all DPMS products. Was this cheaply made magazine a fluke or representative of all of their AR15 magazines?
View Quote
Likely a fluke. I have seen Colt mags break when hitting a floor...
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You know, I have sold hundreds of DPMS firearms. I have had more problems with Ruger ARs than I ever had with DPMS.

These days, I can hardly give away a DPMS. They haven't kept up with "modern" configurations, IE: free floated handguards.
View Quote
Ruger might be the very last brand of AR I'd buy. They feel like garbage and look like shit. Not surprised you have problems.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Sad to see them go away. Sad to see any decent company go away.

Thanks for the insights OP.  Good to hear you landed on your feet.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Because in percentage terms they went bang almost all the time and were affordable. We had a 3-6% return/defective rate that i'm sure no one will believe.

We also sold a million stripped lowers with a "K" stamped at the end of the SN that would get returned as "factory built" that were junk. People and some DEALERS would buy the lower and build a no name gun and sell it a as factory built DPMS.
View Quote
My first AR was a Delton kit that my buddy helped me assemble.  It had a DPMS barrel in it and I built it up on one of those "K" lowers. Still have it. I specifically wanted a DPMS lower at the time so it would look "factory".
Learned something new today. I still have a few "K" lowers in the safe that I bought in 2007.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:04:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Did it actually save you guys money to make the Sportical with the hideous upper?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:05:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Defence
Procurement
Manufacturing
Services
View Quote
Don't
Purchase
Me,
Stupid
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:11:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The joke with the G2 was "its the best 308 no one knows about"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got a DPMS M4gery in about '07.  1-7 Chrome lined barrel well over 5000 rounds with zero malfunctions.  Good gun.

Is the GII really junk?  I kinda like the concept.
The joke with the G2 was "its the best 308 no one knows about"
I was really hoping the G2 would take off.

Who doesn't want a 308 AR10 that doesn't weigh a ton?

I really wish the aftermarket would have embraced this gun. I'd like to rebarrel it in 7mm08.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#22]
My first complete AR, was a DPMS...still have the hand signed thank you note, from the CEO.....last year I needed a complete lower, with A2 stock, and ended up buying a DPMS one....never had a problem with either purchase.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:18:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Tell me about the mini sass. I was building a coyote gun a while ago and wanted a mid length 18” barrel and ended up with one - a used mini Sass complete upper I bought here on the ee. I didn’t know anything about it except that it was the barrel and gas I wanted in a complete upper for about the price I was about to pay for just a barrel and I thought the fluting and black stainless was cool. It shoots like a laser beam though, do I have something special?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:26:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Are you still in HSV?

There's a gun store in HSV that sells Remington blemished rifles. What might these blemishes be?

I know Remington has a deal with HSV that they have to employ a certain number of employees to keep their tax break or something like that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:35:04 AM EDT
[#25]
My first AR was DPMS accurate and reliable to this day. Wish I kept the box..

Also got the R25 camo when they first showed up @ local shop ..2013 ish I think.  Heavy as hell.

Were the R25s built by Rem or DPMS?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:38:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Everyone has 10 AR's and the market is oversaturated. Also the tactical lifestyle is fading fast.
View Quote
"Fading fast"?
As in, the company is anticipating expanded legislation nationally that would impact sales? Or the number of states with state level bans is impacting the overall market?
What exactly is the " tactical lifestyle"?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:39:35 AM EDT
[#27]
What was the most accurate factory gun DPMS built?  Who supplied the barrel?  Any special treatment done inhouse to finish it for your own specs?

I saw you mentioned heat treating after machining to releave stress.  Was that standard?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:41:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Did DPMS ever supply anything to BCM?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:45:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It was purpose built so that idiots could not mount a magpul sight on and melt it. Also to fit our sights
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF was the deal with the goofy picatinny gas block that was below-plane with the upper?
It was purpose built so that idiots could not mount a magpul sight on and melt it. Also to fit our sights
I won one of those in a raffle and it had a magpul sight mounted on that gas block.  It's my three gun rifle now, I think the only DPMS parts remaining are the receivers and maybe a detent here and there.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:47:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought 5 stripped DPMS lowers when I started rolling my own ARs.

I still have have several ARs built on DPMS lowers. A couple with DPMS lower guts.

Sorry to see them go.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:47:59 AM EDT
[#31]
What years were the lowers cast pieces instead of forged?

I'm talking about the ones with the smallish looking front pivot hole areas without a lot of meat on them...

(I own a couple and they've been beat up mercilessly;  although they've migrated to 22LR builds ultimately)
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, for MANY years we supplied the "top tier" companies with parts. Marty Daniel was one of the biggest customers back in the day.
View Quote
So did Olympic Arms.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:49:25 AM EDT
[#33]
So I ordered a three hundred dollars worth of parts from them at Black Friday after seeing a link in the " Looking for cheap parts" thread.  Come the first of the year I call them inquiring about my parts.  The customer service guy can find me by name in the computer so I provide the invoice # from my order. His reply was that it did not exist and my order must have been deleted.  No call, no email, nothing.  Was this standard operating procedure for them?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:50:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
As opposed to what?  Hunting rifles?  That's dying off even faster.  Yeah, the MSR market is oversaturated, but there is still money to be made there if you bother to innovate.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:50:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Defense
Procurement
Manufacturing
Services
View Quote
DPMS has/had a CAGE Code.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:58:56 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought a chrome bolt from DPMS.
All they did was chrome a regular bolt.
With the chrome coating it was now oversized.
When I tried to return it - Nope, it's been used.
I gave it away to someone who wanted to fuck with it more than I did.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:04:17 AM EDT
[#37]
I was told a good while back the trigger group parts in the lower parts kits were US made. Truth?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:06:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I've still got quite a few White cardboard plastic sealed spare parts sets from the big spreads at the local gun shows.
DPMS always had large parts tables set up. Duluth, MN Pioneer Hall was always decent when DPMS had tables there in the early years.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:12:00 AM EDT
[#39]
What is an acronym for Defence Procurement Manufacturing Services?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:12:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes

Fulton
Eagle
Remington
Bushmaster
AAC
and some oddball ones I can't remember
View Quote
I was under the impression Fulton, forged DPMS, and a lot of Bushmaster along with some other lowers were all made by LAR Grizzly. Remington bought them at about the same time didn't they?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:30:52 AM EDT
[#41]
My first and only factory lower was a DPMS A2 style in '08. Still got it, modified several things and running a 16" dedicated .22LR upper now. Thanks for the info, this has been a fun thread to read.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:34:08 AM EDT
[#42]
This is a great idea for a thread.

I had good and bad experiences with DPMS products.  The early LR308 was a fantastic gun but a guy traded me for a preban M1A so off it went.  The sweet 16 and CAR uppers were way overgassed.  I still have the CAR barrel and am going to put a Black Rain tube on it.

I've got a couple of their LPKs and they work well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:37:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Are you still in HSV?

There's a gun store in HSV that sells Remington blemished rifles. What might these blemishes be?

I know Remington has a deal with HSV that they have to employ a certain number of employees to keep their tax break or something like that.
View Quote
Not to hijack the thread, but I hope I can help with the answer.
From the roughly 1,300 “blem” rifles I spent a week personally function testing, inspecting, and stamping with a small “5” (this stamp will be on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver on bolt actions and on the top side of the lower next to the bolt catch recess on AR’s) circa last April at Remington. The blems will be anything from very very small spots of localized splotching on a hydro dipped AR to a scratch on the barrel on a 770 to a ding in the wood stock of a 783 to purplish anodizing on an AR. I saw many guns that didn’t have anything wrong with them and some that where rough. Many of the exact “blem” rifles I inspected ended up at CDNN this past fall. With places like Larry’s and Mr. Big Gun’s here in Huntsville also getting some.

As far as that deal with the city, Remington simply cannot hold their end of the deal. Across the whole manufacturing division, when the furlough took effect on June 1, 2019, we had approximately 350-400 employees. By the end of the furlough that number was about 300. Now it’s even lower from what I’ve heard. When I hired on late-summer 2018 we had about 300 on 2nd shift. By March/April 2019, we had so few people they consolidated us into one 1st shift- no 2nd or 3rd except for the AR machining team. Now it’s a skeleton crew across the whole place.

Sorry if this reply was out of line. Again, no intention of hijacking
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 2:54:31 AM EDT
[#44]
As far as the trailer full of parts that was scrapped, can you elaborate on what was in it? Any upper or lower receivers? Barrels? Furniture? Was it mostly small parts? Mostly AR stuff?

Also, was it mostly DPMS marked stuff, or Bushmaster, too?

Did RemberCerberFreeGroup wind up scrapping a bunch of the DPMS C7 uppers, or did you guys wind up selling most of those? Any left?

Any reason why CDNN didn't want it all? Rem just get tired of dealing with it and take the shitty way out?

The stuff that CDNN is selling off now, is that mostly pre-Rem group NOS that was warehoused for a long time, or mostly stuff made after the buyout? (There's conflicting info out there on this.)

I'd been communicating with a few guys at DPMS for awhile, trying to convince them to bring the C7 uppers back. For a long time, I was told there were no plans to do so. Some time later, I was eventually told they'd decided to bring them back... Nothing ever happened. After another year or so, I gave up haha. Did that plan actually come close to happening? I figured the constant shuffling at Rem was what killed it. Actually figured it'd never happen, due to that. Were you one of those guys who kept saying they were coming back?

Anything you can tell us about the Tapco branded receivers that were being sold through Cope's some years back? Word was those were machined by LAR. They seem to have been well received by everyone, according to Cope's. Any reason they were supposedly a Cope's exclusive? They didn't last long. Cope's told me they were planning on making them a regular item, but they seemed to vanish for good, after that one, short period. (I believe Cope's told me they got 2 shipments in, total.) Was that something else the bean counters killed?

Did Rem ever do anything substantial with LAR after swallowing them up? What, if anything remains of them?

Do you suppose this is a permanent end for Bushmaster and DPMS, under Rem, or do you believe this to be a temporary pause to the brands, to be reintroduced later?

I agree with the other poster(s), this is a great thread. Thanks for answering everyone's questions. I might be a bit late to this one, so I certainly understand if if you're unable to answer mine. Particularly with so many of them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:13:22 AM EDT
[#45]
why didn't you ever process my black friday order
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:22:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don’t see that.... just over saturated in quality ARs that are down in price and available
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:59:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Gone, to costly to manufacture and no demand. 1000 ACR's isn't gonna save the company...
View Quote
@GUNFRK223 are you saying that the acr is dead? I still intend to buy another, just curious about stocking up parts.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:27:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If its to mil spec or better then yes. same same
View Quote
Still have my garbage "Mk12" barrel that I called some DPMS guy out over years ago.

It might be a great barrel. But it sure as shit isn't a MK12 barrel and fuck them for marketing it as such.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:42:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've been wanting to do this for some time, answer questions about DPMS and possibly dispel some myths.

For what it's worth I was employed by DPMS/Remington from 2005-2018 and seen a lot of "behind the curtain"...

Please, if you want this thread to go somewhere don't post BS or ramble on about unrelated crap.

*NOTE* I will monitor this thread when I can and do the best to answer questions.

Keep it on track and classy GD.
View Quote
Who were those 2 ladies responsible for the ART II rifle scopes? Mine was all fucked up and sold it a huge loss.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:53:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
PSA has conditioned everyone that a $400 AR is good and are fine with making $40 per gun. No money in it anymore.
View Quote
And yet, still *EXPONENTIALLY* better than any rifle that bares the DPMS rollmark. LOLOLLOLOLOL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFLCOPTER/.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top