Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Let's put it in even simpler terms.

Right now, you have the government and insurance companies paying (along with a lot of nonpayers and self pay) for the medical care they receive.

Obamacare passes.

Private insurances start to fall by the wayside.   Some of the bigger ones will probably do OK for a while (until Obamacare II passes the public option).

Who do you THINK is going to be writing the regulations for both the Doctors Offices/Hospitals and Insurance Companies.

Who do you think is going to be doing the checking on the books to make sure patients aren't overcharged at the Drs Office/Hospital or their insurance is in compliance.

The most likely source for these inspectors is the same source as they got their TSA employees.

Right now, that's the people that work for ACORN (hey, didn't ACORN fire a few recently)  and many of the people on the welfare roles.

THOSE are the people that are going to be making your insurance decisions and medical decisions for you.

AFARR

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]

So what?

Obama will just open the floodgates and import  thousands of more doctors from India, Pakistan and elsewhere.

They'll work for peanuts and give equivalent care to what they're paid, all with a diverse multicultural accent.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, we all have degrees from college.  I have a chemistry degree.  I'm sure there would be something else I could do with a lot less stress.

Go for it, and post updates on your "shrugging"

i'm still waiting for you to tell me why Singapore's system is fucking absolutely awesome and why we would be better off if we copied it.

LOL!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, we all have degrees from college.  I have a chemistry degree.  I'm sure there would be something else I could do with a lot less stress.

i'm still waiting for you to tell me why Singapore's system is fucking absolutely awesome and why we would be better off if we copied it.

LOL!

Singapore's system would never fly politically here.  The best model for the US would be like Canada's system.  State-run public insurance for everyone, funded by the national government.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the proposed health care plan (Obamacare) force Physician to take Health insurance?? My wife's OBGYN just informed us (and all her patients) that she will no longer accept any insurance plan and run a direct payment cash for services business. The practice is called a medical boutique. Patients pay $2000.00 per year plus other fees. In return doctors will provide for the patients immediate care, house calls, ER visits etc.

If doctors opt for this practice then we will definitely have a two tier system. I believe that Congress would be hesitant to stop this type of business since many themselves are members of private Medical boutiques.

They have already thought of this.  It will be unlawful to pay for medical treatment under some of the plans being floated about.  The gubernit will even have access to bank accounts and credit card transactions......making sure nobody is paying.  Cause dats racist.

Exactly.  This is what they did in Canada.  If you charge the patient directly = go to jail.

This is true only if you participate in the public system.  You can charge the patient if you do not participate in the public option.

You can be arrested for this in the US too, but we call it "insurance fraud"

That's a lie.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!

Singapore's system would never fly politically here.  The best model for the US would be like Canada's system.  State-run public insurance for everyone, funded by the national government.

Canada?  You mean the one that is failing/ has failed?

ETA:  You stated earlier that Singapore's UHC system led them to longer lives, healthier babies, etc etc and used that as a reason as to why we should adopt a UHC system.  I still don't get it.  I need you to connect the dots for me.

ETA2:  Do you REALLY want to use Canada as an example?

ETA3:  LOL!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So what?

Obama will just open the floodgates and import  thousands of more doctors from India, Pakistan and elsewhere.

They'll work for peanuts and give equivalent care to what they're paid, all with a diverse multicultural accent.

If they bring their family over, think of all the new Indian restaurants that would open up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what?

If they bring their family over, think of all the new Indian restaurants that would open up.

possibly the only pro for importing doctors - the diversity of food.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what?

Think of all the Chinese herbal medicine too!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Also I just want to point out to people claiming that doctors will all stay home if there is UHC a couple basic facts:

1) Nobody has provided any evidence of any figures showing exactly how much takehome salary doctors will forgo (or even if they will see a reduction in takehome pay) under any of the plans under consideration

2) Doctors who don't want to work for a public system have the option of working privately in most any UHC system, and the plan under consideration is a plan to force people to buy health insurance anyways.

3) What people claim they will do in a push poll is usually much different than what they will do when it actually comes down to it

4) Doctors/hospitals complain about how much medicare/medicaid reimburse, but they take it anyways for various reasons related to maintaining their businesses, from customer relations to charity, to volume considerations.

#1.   In our practice, we take Medicaid, Medicare and Private Insurance.   I'm the ONLY guy out of 4 that takes the medicaid patients.   For an office visit...Medicare pays $40, Medicaid Pays $20 (or less), and Privates pay $50-60.  Government controlled insurance pays the worst.   Nobody CAN show how badly it will drop...but if they add 20 to 45 MILLION people to any kind of coverage...their reimbursements will drop even more (considering that a LARGE number of those people don't pay taxes anyway).

#2.   Yes, it is possible...however, since the general public hasn't been privileged with ALL the details of the plan, we can't know one way or another what the final plans are.   Given our President's penchant for incremental legislation (from his time in IL), if he doesn't pass universal coverage now...he's going to keep working on it in the future.   And, how will they force someone to buy insurance that makes $10/hr and has a kid or two around?  

#3.   Usually...but not always.   And in this case, a lot of doctors can afford to quit (the ones in practice for 20 or 30 years)...they are the ones that train the new guys––so they WILL lose doctors...the question is how many?

#4.   Yes we do complain.   We were (long before I went into practice) told by the Government that Medicare wouldn't set prices...they would pay what was customary.   Once the goverment started to realize how expensive it was...they started to set prices and cut reimbursements more each year.  By then, Doctors had large numbers of their patients on Medicare...and they would have to cut them off or charge considerably more for the services.    It's a matter of a lot of things...ethics, business volume (break even on Medicare patients, but at least you can pay your staff).

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
fine bring it on...lets see this hopsy changy
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also I just want to point out to people claiming that doctors will all stay home if there is UHC a couple basic facts:

1) Nobody has provided any evidence of any figures showing exactly how much takehome salary doctors will forgo (or even if they will see a reduction in takehome pay) under any of the plans under consideration

2) Doctors who don't want to work for a public system have the option of working privately in most any UHC system, and the plan under consideration is a plan to force people to buy health insurance anyways.

3) What people claim they will do in a push poll is usually much different than what they will do when it actually comes down to it

4) Doctors/hospitals complain about how much medicare/medicaid reimburse, but they take it anyways for various reasons related to maintaining their businesses, from customer relations to charity, to volume considerations.

#1.   In our practice, we take Medicaid, Medicare and Private Insurance.   I'm the ONLY guy out of 4 that takes the medicaid patients.   For an office visit...Medicare pays $40, Medicaid Pays $20 (or less), and Privates pay $50-60.  Government controlled insurance pays the worst.   Nobody CAN show how badly it will drop...but if they add 20 to 45 MILLION people to any kind of coverage...their reimbursements will drop even more (considering that a LARGE number of those people don't pay taxes anyway).

#2.   Yes, it is possible...however, since the general public hasn't been privileged with ALL the details of the plan, we can't know one way or another what the final plans are.   Given our President's penchant for incremental legislation (from his time in IL), if he doesn't pass universal coverage now...he's going to keep working on it in the future.   And, how will they force someone to buy insurance that makes $10/hr and has a kid or two around?  

#3.   Usually...but not always.   And in this case, a lot of doctors can afford to quit (the ones in practice for 20 or 30 years)...they are the ones that train the new guys––so they WILL lose doctors...the question is how many?

#4.   Yes we do complain.   We were (long before I went into practice) told by the Government that Medicare wouldn't set prices...they would pay what was customary.   Once the goverment started to realize how expensive it was...they started to set prices and cut reimbursements more each year.  By then, Doctors had large numbers of their patients on Medicare...and they would have to cut them off or charge considerably more for the services.    It's a matter of a lot of things...ethics, business volume (break even on Medicare patients, but at least you can pay your staff).

AFARR

our health care problems will not change without changing how we do business within the health care industry - from doctors to insurance companies to the government.  More government is NOT the way to go, but making competition more transparent and taking health care off the pedestal that most of us put it on would be a step.  It is almost as if we have not decided on what type of good/service medical care is, exactly.  If we were to decide, we would at least be able to manage and create better efficiencies within it.  I'm willing to bet that if I sat down with a doctor and created a value chain/process map, we could identify quite a few bottle-necks within a standard practice/hospital.

(this is coming from an outsider who hates going to the doctor's office and knows very little about what doctors think or what they say behind my back when I leave).
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:So what?

Marvelous, just Marvelous.
Considering all the times that I've seen Indian docs dictating an H&P then going into the patient's room.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like BS. Quit and do what instead?

This.  The desire to quit will end when they realize that $200k jobs don't grow on trees.

The thing is, how many of your physicians are near/at/past retirement age? How many would just say "Screw this - it's not worth the effort. I can retire." The only physicians that will stay in are those that are fresh out, those that want to recoup (some of) their investment, those that can charge what the market will bear (e.g. fee for service), and those that simply love to teach. Note this last group is generally your older physicians, and if they aren't allowed to actually practice medicine due to rationing, they might just say "fuck it" as well, as their conscience won't let them continue on under that philosophy.

FYI - here is the census data from 2000

25-34      35-44       45-54      55-64   (no data was given for those over 65, but they are likely dead or retired now)
        19.0%     35.4%      31.2%    14.3%

So today, 9 years later, how many are nearing retirement? Notice the drop off in the number of people entering the field? How much worse will this shortage be when applicants see they can't possibly justify the cost and time of schooling? The only choice our government will have is to ease restrictions on FMG's, and even then state licensing has to follow suit. Good luck seeing a doctor in the future, esp, if this crap passes.

For what it's worth, I'm 38, and finished my fellowship 5 years ago. I plan on continuing to work. However, if they cut my salary, they will get a decrease in productiviity. If they want to fire me because I'm not meeting "quota" - fine, try to find a replacement, and see what kind of quality you get. The old adage still applies "cheap, good, or fast - pick two." When I first started on this path 20 years ago (yes, I knew I wanted to be a physician since my last year in high school), I could not even conceive of how much our gov't could fuck up my career. I busted my ass to get to where I am, and I believe I should enjoy the fruits of my labor. For those who think that doctors are overpaid/too concerned about money - think about what it takes to become one and what the job actually entails. During the course of your work day, how many times do you have a chance to kill someone because of a mistake?

I'm probably one of the few people who isn't in the medical profession who thinks doctors DESERVE a shitload of money for what they do. It's an incredibly complex, incredibly specialized profession that requires YEARS of study, practice, and diligent application to be mediocre at, much less to excel at. Being a doctor, especially a surgeon or ER doc, is like working at Mission Control in NASA while trying to put together a 3-D jigsaw puzzle made of incredibly delicate glass without breaking any of the pieces. Considering how much time and effort goes into being a doctor, and how amazingly valuable the profession is, I frankly think they deserve to earn so much cash they can't even spend all of it. Nurses and paramedics should be raking in decent cash for the hard work and shitty hours they get. Ditto for cops and fire fighters. Instead, they have the shittiest pay and shittiest hours on some of the most dangerous, stress-inducing jobs there are.

Meanwhile, we have people bitching about medical insurance and football players are getting tens of millions of dollars a year for getting sweaty, playing catch, slapping each other on the ass, and taking group showers with other men.

The world is fundamentally fucked up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Bear:

My Apologies...I found the link....looks like you actually have the Degree:

Economics/Finance major graduate popping in to say that undergraduate Economics is pretty much only harder than psychology and art as majors.

Good for you on the math though. I'm going to take some more math classes so I am prepared for graduate level finance coursework.

Link to thread....Bear's post is about half way down first page.

But you still don't know too much about Medicine in the US....Or Canada......or here......or here......or here......Or the UK.......
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  The desire to quit will end when they realize that $200k jobs don't grow on trees.

The thing is, how many of your physicians are near/at/past retirement age? How many would just say "Screw this - it's not worth the effort. I can retire." The only physicians that will stay in are those that are fresh out, those that want to recoup (some of) their investment, those that can charge what the market will bear (e.g. fee for service), and those that simply love to teach. Note this last group is generally your older physicians, and if they aren't allowed to actually practice medicine due to rationing, they might just say "fuck it" as well, as their conscience won't let them continue on under that philosophy.

FYI - here is the census data from 2000

25-34      35-44       45-54      55-64   (no data was given for those over 65, but they are likely dead or retired now)
        19.0%     35.4%      31.2%    14.3%

So today, 9 years later, how many are nearing retirement? Notice the drop off in the number of people entering the field? How much worse will this shortage be when applicants see they can't possibly justify the cost and time of schooling? The only choice our government will have is to ease restrictions on FMG's, and even then state licensing has to follow suit. Good luck seeing a doctor in the future, esp, if this crap passes.

For what it's worth, I'm 38, and finished my fellowship 5 years ago. I plan on continuing to work. However, if they cut my salary, they will get a decrease in productiviity. If they want to fire me because I'm not meeting "quota" - fine, try to find a replacement, and see what kind of quality you get. The old adage still applies "cheap, good, or fast - pick two." When I first started on this path 20 years ago (yes, I knew I wanted to be a physician since my last year in high school), I could not even conceive of how much our gov't could fuck up my career. I busted my ass to get to where I am, and I believe I should enjoy the fruits of my labor. For those who think that doctors are overpaid/too concerned about money - think about what it takes to become one and what the job actually entails. During the course of your work day, how many times do you have a chance to kill someone because of a mistake?

I'm probably one of the few people who isn't in the medical profession who thinks doctors DESERVE a shitload of money for what they do. It's an incredibly complex, incredibly specialized profession that requires YEARS of study, practice, and diligent application to be mediocre at, much less to excel at. Being a doctor, especially a surgeon or ER doc, is like working at Mission Control in NASA while trying to put together a 3-D jigsaw puzzle made of incredibly delicate glass without breaking any of the pieces. Considering how much time and effort goes into being a doctor, and how amazingly valuable the profession is, I frankly think they deserve to earn so much cash they can't even spend all of it. Nurses and paramedics should be raking in decent cash for the hard work and shitty hours they get. Ditto for cops and fire fighters. Instead, they have the shittiest pay and shittiest hours on some of the most dangerous, stress-inducing jobs there are.

Meanwhile, we have people bitching about medical insurance and football players are getting tens of millions of dollars a year for getting sweaty, playing catch, slapping each other on the ass, and taking group showers with other men.

The world is fundamentally fucked up.

I get what you're saying, but that may be the problem.  We HAVE  to start treating medical care and treatment like a commodity.  

Doesn't mean we can't respect our doctors (which they DO deserve respect).  We just need to realize that health care is a business.

ETA: I realize it's already a business, but it needs to be more transparent and competitive.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why not? This administration seems bent on removing from the economy as a whole about 50% of the jobs based on their present priorities, actions, and initiatives.

Don't forget the "I want to bankrupt the coal industry" thing. Which states make up a significant portion of their income and employment from coal again?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bear:

My Apologies...I found the link....looks like you actually have the Degree:

Economics/Finance major graduate popping in to say that undergraduate Economics is pretty much only harder than psychology and art as majors.

Good for you on the math though. I'm going to take some more math classes so I am prepared for graduate level finance coursework.

Link to thread....Bear's post is about half way down first page.

But you still don't know too much about Medicine in the US....Or Canada......or here......or here......or here......Or the UK.......

lol,

I hope he didn't pay for his degree.  He didn't learn much.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We just need to realize that health care is a business.

Yes it is a business...and unfortunately (as I think it was C-4 above pointed out) Doctors are often crappy businessmen because we are not trained at it.   Like most businesses, if you get too much government regulation involved (and, under Obamacare..it will be a HELL of a lot more) they have problems.  

Do ANY of the posters here NOT believe that if Obamacare passes...there will be a significant increase in the number of people employed BY THE GOVERNMENT?   Do you really think they'll just pass a 1000 page bill...and say "just make sure you follow the guidelines" without creating a new bureaucracy?

That's not even including the increased numbers of people who will be added to the insurance rolls (either Medicare/Medicaid type government or private insurance...or some kind of "umbrella corp" universal coverage)....many of them DON'T PAY TAXES...how are they going to pay for their health insurance?   They won't...we will (either by paying the same but getting a LOT less medical coverage to spread it around, or by paying more $$ for the same coverage.    

So, we'll be paying for increased government...and more for our health care.

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is a business...and unfortunately (as I think it was C-4 above pointed out) Doctors are often crappy businessmen because we are not trained at it.   Like most businesses, if you get too much government regulation involved (and, under Obamacare..it will be a HELL of a lot more) they have problems.  

Do ANY of the posters here NOT believe that if Obamacare passes...there will be a significant increase in the number of people employed BY THE GOVERNMENT?   Do you really think they'll just pass a 1000 page bill...and say "just make sure you follow the guidelines" without creating a new bureaucracy?

That's not even including the increased numbers of people who will be added to the insurance rolls (either Medicare/Medicaid type government or private insurance...or some kind of "umbrella corp" universal coverage)....many of them DON'T PAY TAXES...how are they going to pay for their health insurance?   They won't...we will (either by paying the same but getting a LOT less medical coverage to spread it around, or by paying more $$ for the same coverage.    

AFARR

That's why I don't envy doctors.  You guys work in an industry that is sooooo damn regulated and hampered on ALL levels of government.  You guys get sued left and right to the point where there is an entire insurance category devoted to you - and law school courses devoted to specifically teaching future leeches the best way to draw blood from your over-educated selves.

THEN you have people that take your roughly decades+ of school for granted by not paying for your services....ALL while being sanctioned by the government - the very one that is nickel and dime-ing you guys and gals to death.

Lastly, you guys are in school for so damn long that after you come out, you're left with nothing but a medical degree and no business sense.

Did I miss anything?

ETA:  Almost forgot - our politicians decide on a near annual basis to use you as target practice for political activism.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFARR

That's why I don't envy doctors.  You guys work in an industry that is sooooo damn regulated and hampered on ALL levels of government.  You guys get sued left and right to the point where there is an entire insurance category devoted to you - and law school courses devoted to specifically teaching future leeches the best way to draw blood from your over-educated selves.

THEN you have people that take the roughly decades+ of school for granted by not paying for your services....ALL while being sanctioned by the government - the very one that is nickel and dime-ing you guys and gals to death.

Lastly, you guys are in school for so damn long that after you come out, you're left with nothing but a medical degree and no business sense.

Did I miss anything?

ETA:  Almost forgot - our politicians decide on a near annual basis to use you as target practice for political activism.

Yeah.....they stopped letting the Drug Companies pay for us to go away on Vacation BEFORE I got done with school....

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:48:59 AM EDT
[#22]
About 10 years ago GPs demanded that they be paid more than the $27 per standard consultation that thy were getting. My doctor at the time said that every doctor in his clinic had to see a patient every 5 minutes to make ends meet. In response, the gov raised the fee to $33 per consultation. In response, doctors left the system in drove and started charging. My Doctor currently charges $60 per consultation, of which I can get $33 back from the government. In addition, unless your condition is truly life threatening, you can wait months for surgery in the public system. Fortunately we also have a private system that is very good, and private hospital insurance that covers most of the costs. Most medical people have private insurance, and even my liberal, pro-gov health care nurse sister just got private insurance.

Oh, and by the way, once you get a gov healthcare system, even though everyone knows the problems, its political death to suggest its abolition. Everyone's suggested solution (which is hardly ever carried out) is more money. Medicare costs the Australian population (all 21 million of us) in excess of $50 billion per year. What do we get for our money? Hospitals were staff use petty cash and even their own money to feed their patients. Months and years-long waiting lists. Cutting edge drugs denied to patients as they are deemed either unnecessary or too expensive. Emergency departments running at over 90% as normal, and are frequently at code red (no new patients). Earlier in the year, every hospital in the state of New South Wales was on code red. New South Wales is bigger than Texas.

ObamaCare- just say NO!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:56:05 AM EDT
[#23]
With all the time and money it takes to become a DR.  Your probabaly better off becoming a vet, if this shit passes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
our health care problems will not change without changing how we do business within the health care industry - from doctors to insurance companies to the government. More government is NOT the way to go, but making competition more transparent and taking health care off the pedestal that most of us put it on would be a step. It is almost as if we have not decided on what type of good/service medical care is, exactly. If we were to decide, we would at least be able to manage and create better efficiencies within it. I'm willing to bet that if I sat down with a doctor and created a value chain/process map, we could identify quite a few bottle-necks within a standard practice/hospital.

(this is coming from an outsider who hates going to the doctor's office and knows very little about what doctors think or what they say behind my back when I leave).

This is exactly what needs to be done.  People need to know what a procedure/visit costs.  They need to pay for it directly.  Once that happens, prices would drop.  MRI for $1200?  Sorry, can't afford that.  OK, how about $350?  Same with office visits and drugs.  My multi-specialty clinic has a whole billing department we have to pay for to submit claims to Medicare/Medicaid/Private insurance companies.  Think of the savings if patients paid directly.  Put up a McDonalds-style menu of how much things cost.  Doctors would compete directly with each other.  I have many other free-market ideas that would cut costs and make seeing a doctor much more accessable.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:51:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:So what?

Marvelous, just Marvelous.
Considering all the times that I've seen Indian docs dictating an H&P then going into the patient's room.

Ouch!  That's pretty bad.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
With all the time and money it takes to become a DR.  Your probabaly better off becoming a vet, if this shit passes.

FYI.
At Texas A&M, all the vet school wash outs goto med school since it is easier.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI.
At Texas A&M, all the vet school wash outs goto med school since it is easier.

I have a lot of respect for vets and vet students.  It's harder to get into vet school than medical school, and vets usually make less money than medical doctors.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:24:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless they band together, gather up their resources, and create private clinics abroad, or even aboard ships just inside National waters.  I'm betting on starting private, cash only clinics in medical friendly countries.

THIS.

I just returned from an insurance trade show; there was a booth belonging to a large law practice which specialized in relocating medical and insurance practices offshore. I spoke with one of the attorneys, who said interest was overwhelming. At three days into the show, they were nearly out of their pre-printed literature.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Actually the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ doesn't take either Medicaid or Medicare anymore simply due to the awful reimbursements.  I'll bet you 20 bucks that the other 2 centers (Rochester, MN and Jacksonville, FL) follow suit with this bill.  That is of course if they are allowed to.  If the fees go down, and you are forced to take these lower fees, what do you think will happen to the quality of care?  

If I were a doc, I'd just give proportionately less effort and time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:38:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the proposed health care plan (Obamacare) force Physician to take Health insurance??

No, Obamacare in a nutshell forces citizens to have health insurance, under threat of fines.  You will have to either have private insurance that meets certain standards or they are making a public insurance option.  If you cannot afford insurance (by the .gov's calculation), you will be given subsidies and a free choice of where to get insurance from.  The public option will be revenue neutral, so it will not have any subsidies that the private companies cannot get

It's basically a handout to health insurance companies

Wrong.

Section 103 of HR 3200 says that you can keep your current private insurance as long as your insurer never takes any new clients and as long as you never make any changes to your coverage. Insurers rely on new clients to mitigate premium increases; Sec. 103 sets up a situation where they will be forced to mete out larger annual increases to their clients... which means that every year, fewer and fewer people will be able to afford their private insurance, and thus wil be forced onto the government plan (as no other company can accept them, a'la Sec. 103).

At the same time, insurers are required to offer the government insurance, which the government is selling at a loss. Look at it this way: You own a contracting business renovating houses. The government passes a law saying that you can't take on any new clients, and can only service your existing clients. At the same time, the government starts its own contracting business, and forces you to sell its services at a loss with no reimbursement for administrative or advertising expenses. How long could you afford to stay in business?

HR 3200 has but one purpose: to drive private insurers into bankruptcy, and force Americans onto government healthcare.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I've read 4 pages of ranting and not a single mention of a definite sentinel point.  

When Obungo-Care takes a foothold, the doctor-patient relationship WILL change.  Period.  No discussion.  FACT.  Forget how many docs will quit or retire.  Maybe a lot maybe a few.......big deal.  There are plenty of Mexican, Indian, and Russian "doctors" to fill any voids.  However, the change in the doctor-patient relationship will rock the world of ALL patients.  When choice is eliminated from the marketplace, the effort for excellence is also removed.  When you HAVE to go to a assigned doctor, because your insurance(or .gov) dictates, the doctor has no incentive to provide excellent, comfortable, painless, polite, timely treatment.  I've been there.  When patients arrive at my office, I do EVERYTHING possible to provide a positive experience.  From scheduling, to staff, medical equipment, facility, etc.  I realize the patient has made a CHOICE to come to my office.   Why would the doctor spend money on a beautiful, comfortable, convenient, up to date, modern office when you are "assigned"  to his office, regardless.  Of course, the doctor does not want to get sued or loose accreditation, so he will provide the MINIMUM level of service.  

This minimum level of service will become the new benchmark.

BTW.......Forget about the "two-tiered" system.  No possibility of that.  Paying extra for better treatment is racist and the plans being floated about address this by prohibiting it.  EVERYBODY gets the same.  Except congressmen.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ doesn't take either Medicaid or Medicare anymore simply due to the awful reimbursements.  I'll bet you 20 bucks that the other 2 centers (Rochester, MN and Jacksonville, FL) follow suit with this bill.  That is of course if they are allowed to.  If the fees go down, and you are forced to take these lower fees, what do you think will happen to the quality of care?  

Don't worry.  We'll be doing that too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#33]
My father and many of his friends have retired from practice over the last several years because of the head ache involved in practicing medicine.  

You know it is telling when most physicians don't recommend their children follow them into medicine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

<snip>

I get what you're saying, but that may be the problem.  We HAVE  to start treating medical care and treatment like a commodity.  

Doesn't mean we can't respect our doctors (which they DO deserve respect).  We just need to realize that health care is a business.

ETA: I realize it's already a business, but it needs to be more transparent and competitive.

This is a fundamental question that needs to be carefully considered.    I disagree with the notion that HC is a "commodity"... I expect that most everyone agrees that every person is different and may require different treatment, care, therapy, etc.    That flies in the face of a one size fits all program that gov likes to administer.  

"You can have medical care that is fast, right or cheap... pick two" is entirely appropriate.    Obamacare only gets to pick two of these choices as well.   What we are discussing is which two choices will be made...

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"You can have medical care that is fast, right or cheap... pick two" is entirely appropriate.    Obamacare only gets to pick two of these choices as well.   What we are discussing is which two choices will be made...

Also, realize that competition is what ensures we get all that we can out of each of those categories.

When the government gets involved, competition goes away.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quit...and do what? Early retirement only works for older guys.

Large Hospital Ship in International Water with Dr.s & Nurses specializing in everything from GP to advance surgical procedures & cosmetic surgery. Or a smaller boat with a couple of doctors offering for specialized customers, advance cancer and various ailments that the .GOV healthcare will not cover.

Or go into medical care for gangster, thugs, dealers, mobster and then like. At that point who gives a shit if the Fed or Medical Board takes away your license. Remove finger prints, take out a bullet, remove identifying scars or tattoos. No problem.

Dr.s and nurse can make money if they no longer have to worry about thing like license to practice, professional certifications, or a moral convictions. Take away someone freedom to work and moral convictions evaporate. Absent moral  there will are plenty of non-traditional patients who will pay CASH for their services.

Also, if Dr.s stay in the system there is nothing to stop them from practicing under the table, so to speak.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
About 10 years ago GPs demanded that they be paid more than the $27 per standard consultation that thy were getting. My doctor at the time said that every doctor in his clinic had to see a patient every 5 minutes to make ends meet. In response, the gov raised the fee to $33 per consultation. In response, doctors left the system in drove and started charging. My Doctor currently charges $60 per consultation, of which I can get $33 back from the government. In addition, unless your condition is truly life threatening, you can wait months for surgery in the public system. Fortunately we also have a private system that is very good, and private hospital insurance that covers most of the costs. Most medical people have private insurance, and even my liberal, pro-gov health care nurse sister just got private insurance.

Oh, and by the way, once you get a gov healthcare system, even though everyone knows the problems, its political death to suggest its abolition. Everyone's suggested solution (which is hardly ever carried out) is more money. Medicare costs the Australian population (all 21 million of us) in excess of $50 billion per year. What do we get for our money? Hospitals were staff use petty cash and even their own money to feed their patients. Months and years-long waiting lists. Cutting edge drugs denied to patients as they are deemed either unnecessary or too expensive. Emergency departments running at over 90% as normal, and are frequently at code red (no new patients). Earlier in the year, every hospital in the state of New South Wales was on code red. New South Wales is bigger than Texas.

ObamaCare- just say NO!

Thanks for chiming in.

For some reason, Americans carry the mentality of "Look, I know you guys fucking failed at running socialism, but dammit, WE can be successful at it."

LOL.  It's like a shit-sandwich would taste better if WE ate it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've read 4 pages of ranting and not a single mention of a definite sentinel point.  

When Obungo-Care takes a foothold, the doctor-patient relationship WILL change.  Period.  No discussion.  FACT.  Forget how many docs will quit or retire.  Maybe a lot maybe a few.......big deal.  There are plenty of Mexican, Indian, and Russian "doctors" to fill any voids.  However, the change in the doctor-patient relationship will rock the world of ALL patients.  When choice is eliminated from the marketplace, the effort for excellence is also removed.  When you HAVE to go to a assigned doctor, because your insurance(or .gov) dictates, the doctor has no incentive to provide excellent, comfortable, painless, polite, timely treatment.  I've been there.  When patients arrive at my office, I do EVERYTHING possible to provide a positive experience.  From scheduling, to staff, medical equipment, facility, etc.  I realize the patient has made a CHOICE to come to my office.   Why would the doctor spend money on a beautiful, comfortable, convenient, up to date, modern office when you are "assigned"  to his office, regardless.  Of course, the doctor does not want to get sued or loose accreditation, so he will provide the MINIMUM level of service.  

This minimum level of service will become the new benchmark.

BTW.......Forget about the "two-tiered" system.  No possibility of that.  Paying extra for better treatment is racist and the plans being floated about address this by prohibiting it.  EVERYBODY gets the same.  Except congressmen.

this is probably why you have a giant house.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless they band together, gather up their resources, and create private clinics abroad, or even aboard ships just inside National waters.  I'm betting on starting private, cash only clinics in medical friendly countries.

Even under a single-payer system, they would be free to not accept the government insurance scheme and continue practicing privately.

However, most doctors would use the government "insurance" because few doctors have the kind of market power to attract people who are willing to pay a premium for healthcare (and can afford it).  This is the way it is in Canada, which allows doctors to practice privately, under the condition that they cannot accept public money at all for any services rendered.  It's not worth the hassle in most cases, as you shut out a large portion of the market.  There are also even private hospitals in Canada.

People posting these unrealistic "rebel healthcare" scenarios are really ignorant of the fact that the vast majority of healthcare tourism is to places where healthcare is dramatically cheaper.  India, Singapore, Thailand, etc.  Seniors in America even go to Canada to buy drugs (blame Congress for preventing drug re-importation on that one) at the government's negotiated prices

You're the ignorant one.  It's obvious from your post that you haven't read the Senate bill.

Being a physician is a thankless job.  I've seen enough to know how bad it is.  Most don't do it for the money, but because they want to help people (or have a huge ego and it's wrapped up in their job).  At some point, if you cut their pay enough, then owing hundreds of thousands in student loan debt, paying malpractice, dealing with the shit they deal with every day, etc, will become unfeasible and they will find something else to do.  They might not form private clinics (which aren't allowed under the Senate bill), but they won't practice medicine anymore, either.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know, I half way want the health care abortion to pass.  I dated several female doctors in the past, I hate all of them now, and I would take great enjoyment from their suffering and the destruction of their careers.

Of course, the downside is the dying early because of crappy healthcare part.

I don't even know how to respond to that.

It means I really, really hate my ex-girlfriends.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Attorneys who did well in school have no problem acquiring a well paying job.  Sorry, I don't want a shitty lawyer representing me, and I sure as hell don't want shitty doctors working on me.  If a foreign doctor can pass USMLE part 1, 2, and 3 and then completes a residency/fellowship, then fine.  Otherwise, no thanks.

Um yes they do have a hard time finding a well-paying job.  Even attorneys with years of solid experience and credentials are getting washed out.  The market for lawyers is realizing there is no reason to pay 350 per hour for someone just out of law school, or multiples of that for a partner-level position.

Also, it's hilarious you think that foreign doctors are inferior when the biggest area of medical tourism has involved going to Singapore/Asia to get work done.  In Singapore, medical costs are much lower, and doctors/hospitals advertise prices up front, which is illegal in the US from what I understand (thanks AMA).

Where do you think those doctors were trained?  I'll give you a hint:  it starts with U.S. and end in A.

So what?  What difference does it make?

It's not like government control of the healthcare system will ruin med schools (which are already heavily government subsidized/controlled).  Also, the cost isn't a big deal because a lot of the doctors trained in the US and working in other countries don't pay their student loans back ever.

You're an idiot.  The depth of ignorance you showed in this post is astounding.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Attorneys who did well in school have no problem acquiring a well paying job.  Sorry, I don't want a shitty lawyer representing me, and I sure as hell don't want shitty doctors working on me.  If a foreign doctor can pass USMLE part 1, 2, and 3 and then completes a residency/fellowship, then fine.  Otherwise, no thanks.

Um yes they do have a hard time finding a well-paying job.  Even attorneys with years of solid experience and credentials are getting washed out.  The market for lawyers is realizing there is no reason to pay 350 per hour for someone just out of law school, or multiples of that for a partner-level position.

Also, it's hilarious you think that foreign doctors are inferior when the biggest area of medical tourism has involved going to Singapore/Asia to get work done.  In Singapore, medical costs are much lower, and doctors/hospitals advertise prices up front, which is illegal in the US from what I understand (thanks AMA).

Where do you think those doctors were trained?  I'll give you a hint:  it starts with U.S. and end in A.

It's not like government control of the healthcare system will ruin med schools (which are already heavily government subsidized/controlled).  Also, the cost isn't a big deal because a lot of the doctors trained in the US and working in other countries don't pay their student loans back ever.

not just this post.  Basically every single post that this guy has made is epic in its ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

ObamaCare- just say NO!

Well said.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two of my three ex-girlfriends do not accept the government-run insurance plans.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Well I believe with our fearless leader that culling the herd of all these money grubbing, put up operation dealing, freeloaders will benefit our society, and improve health care. After all more importation of Indian, and Pakistani doctors willing to work as employees of the government are just what this country needs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not just this post.  Basically every single post that this guy has made is epic in its ignorance.

Yeah, but I got sick of reading his posts a few pages back.  They read like a monkey beating on a See 'N Spell.

Plain and simple.  Doctors do not make enough money now to put up with the BS they have to put up with.  Most are not doing it for the money anyway, but if you drop pay enough, it becomes impractical to do it at all and they will leave.  We're already seeing American trained doctors moving out of the profession and foreign ones coming in, and the comparison is not good.  I'd much rather go to a vet than your average foreign-trained doctor.  I've never met a doctor who liked Medicaid or Medicare, and many of them do not accept the plans.  It won't be any different with ObamaCare.

No one, except the people here in the medical field, knows how much time, how much effort, how many hours doctors put in, and how many of them they are not paid for.  I've been to other countries, in fact, I spent part of my childhood living in them, and I would never choose any hospital or doctor over an American one.  Even one of my ex-girlfriends, who I hate.

This is just common sense, and anyone who has been in a doctor's office before knows most of it, but not many know how much effort and care most American doctors put into their career.  And don't buy the nonsense about other countries with good health care.  They suck.  Look at the raw numbers yourself and compare.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but I got sick of reading his posts a few pages back.  They read like a monkey beating on a See 'N Spell.

Plain and simple.  Doctors do not make enough money now to put up with the BS they have to put up with.  Most are not doing it for the money anyway, but if you drop pay enough, it becomes impractical to do it at all and they will leave.  We're already seeing American trained doctors moving out of the profession and foreign ones coming in, and the comparison is not good.  I'd much rather go to a vet than your average foreign-trained doctor.  I've never met a doctor who liked Medicaid or Medicare, and many of them do not accept the plans.  It won't be any different with ObamaCare.

No one, except the people here in the medical field, knows how much time, how much effort, how many hours doctors put in, and how many of them they are not paid for.  I've been to other countries, in fact, I spent part of my childhood living in them, and I would never choose any hospital or doctor over an American one.  Even one of my ex-girlfriends, who I hate.

This is just common sense, and anyone who has been in a doctor's office before knows most of it, but not many know how much effort and care most American doctors put into their career.  And don't buy the nonsense about other countries with good health care.  They suck.  Look at the raw numbers yourself and compare.

I've been to hospitals that the monkey you referred to mentioned in some of his posts - so called "first world" countries (India?  China?  WTF?).  They do not compare with American standards of care.  That just a simple fact.  There's no other way to put it.

Now as to effort, dumb-as-rocks leftists like to look at each profession equally, as though effort can be distributed in an equal fashion.  They seem to think that there is an inverse relationship between effort and incentive.  As though taking incentive away will make people work harder.  That is the FAIL of communism, socialism, and stupidism.  Yet boy-geniuses like Bear Grillz want to introduce that to our country in a field that quite literally, lives are at stake.

And I think you're right.  If I (or a monkey, as you so accurately put it), were to bash our heads into our keyboards, we would come up with something more sensible than ANY of the full-retard escapades "Bear Grillz" considers "posts."
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#48]
I really doubt they would quit. They would suck it up and get paid.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I really doubt they would quit. They would suck it up and get paid.

the young ones would.

but the old timers (with experience and reputations) would seek out greener pastures or withdraw completely.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What started out as an intelligent, analytical discussion has quickly turned into plain stupidity.  It seems as though the person primarily responsible for this is a "consultant." Dear Mr. Consultant...would you please do your best to return this to a good conversation without relying on what you would like for the truth to be.  You are certainly entitled to whatever opinion you have, but please make statements that are based on facts.  There have been several medical doctors chime in to this discussion.  I think it would be of benefit to us all if we were to listen to them as they are the ones on whom the whole thread is based.

1.  The AMA is NOT  a union.  It is a professional group designed to "represent" physicians.  Many physicians are not a part of the AMA but other professional health organizations that better fit their views.
2. Foreign students don't pay back their federal student loans...BECAUSE THEY CAN'T GET THEM.  Federal loans are only available to US students.  Ask any foreign student here studying.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top