Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Highcom is where I bought mine a few years ago.  Sadly, no more private sales.  Highcom only sells to distributors now.
View Quote

Turns out my kids plates didn't come from there

My plates and the wife's plates did and I just kept getting emails from them.

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Body armor outlet. Hesco 4400 for 120 a piece.
View Quote

Bodyarmoroutlet is gtg
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Might be a stupid question, but...

If I have a BFG PLATEminus carrier in large, would large multi-curve plates fit correctly?

Tactical Scorpion Lvl IV 10x12 plate
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
silicon or alumina?
would love to hear from someone who has these, how well do you shoulder you're rifle with these plates
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
silicon or alumina?
View Quote

From what I have read I think you are just saving weight there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Except I was asking a question. OP answered with a good answer and I moved on without derailing the thread.

View Quote

You asked a question just like I did. When you do it though it's diffrent. No big deal. Just pointing out your hippocracy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I just ordered the BOGO from AR500  a few weeks ago. I know nothing of armor but figured 3+ is better than my skin.
I'm high drag / low speed and coming up on 58 years old, so prolonged firefights is sort of out of my league.

They are more for if unrest comes to my AO and I'm driving around in my truck looking for supplies and get stuck in some shit.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You asked a question just like I did. When you do it though it's diffrent. No big deal. Just pointing out your hippocracy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except I was asking a question. OP answered with a good answer and I moved on without derailing the thread.

You posted a dozen times on the first page derailing a thread. Yeah, its different.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
what do we think about these?
LAPG Shellback Lvl 4 Kit $350

4-6 weeks
View Quote

I was looking at this kit also.....anyone got any good or bad to say about it?
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They had the same deal few days ago as well but it was $230 - lasted about 10 minutes.    
View Quote

$230+ shipping.

My total came out to $266 ??

They’ll be here Tuesday.

I also picked up a set of botach battle steel III+/srt off the EE here that were brand new, but I paid a huge premium for the convenience of getting them here quickly.

Those will be going in the wife’s kit, and I’ll be taking the level 4, since those are heavier.

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just ordered the BOGO from AR500  a few weeks ago. I know nothing of armor but figured 3+ is better than my skin.
I'm high drag / low speed and coming up on 58 years old, so prolonged firefights is sort of out of my league.

They are more for if unrest comes to my AO and I'm driving around in my truck looking for supplies and get stuck in some shit.
View Quote

You and I bud. I’m ordered 3 sets of the 3+ for my wife and kids. We hope we will never need to use them. The armor is gtg...them delivering on time is another.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4-6 weeks

Shellback makes good gear. I have 1 of their PCs.
Those plates are a little on the heavy side at 8.2lbs.
Not a bad deal though if it’s in stock. Let’s be real, most of us aren’t going to be humping miles and living out of a pack so a couple extra pounds of plates isn’t that big a deal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4-6 weeks

Well...I just bought some lvl 4 plates from Bodyarmoroutlet....they weighed roughly 1# less per plate...I just bought a GGG minimalist plate carrier a couple days ago...needed to get something to stuff inside of it. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Some people will laugh, but VISM level 3+ plates are actually very good quality.  Here are some for $159 a piece VISM Level III+ plates
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#16]

That looks like a great deal
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I got burned by Botach 15 or so years ago. Will never do business with them ever again and don't understand how they get enough customers to survive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, it's Botach but check out the test video: Botach Lvl 4 Plates

I got burned by Botach 15 or so years ago. Will never do business with them ever again and don't understand how they get enough customers to survive.

2 years ago for me. I literally got nothing for my money.

Fuck them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They had the same deal few days ago as well but it was $230 - lasted about 10 minutes.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You missed the Kota deal a few weeks back. Level 4 plates with a carrier for 220 dollars shipped.

Still kicking myself for missing out on that.

Their deals always sell out in minutes. Best prices anywhere on armor, and you get it quick. You just have to be on top of it when they post inventory.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Something cheap that will stop M855 and M193 would be nice. The Hesco plates and others on sale (IIRC) were level IV? Always used SAPI and Protec level IV, but need a budget set for just in case.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Something cheap that will stop M855 and M193 would be nice. The Hesco plates and others on sale (IIRC) were level IV? Always used SAPI and Protec level IV, but need a budget set for just in case.
View Quote

I just purchased 2 x RMA level IV large SAPI cut single curve plates for $121.50 each using "RMAPROTECTS" discount code I found online for 10% off.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just purchased 2 x RMA level IV large SAPI cut single curve plates for $121.50 each using "RMAPROTECTS" discount code I found online for 10% off.
View Quote

Where? I've been looking and can't find it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RMA 1155
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Directly on their website
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

RMA 1155
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RMA 1155

Yep.  There it is.  Sorry, on my cell now and didnt have the link
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ok total newb mode  on

https://tacticalscorpiongear.com/tactical-scorpion-gear-level-iv-polyethylene-body-armor-10x12-plate.html

are front and rear plates the same? If i just order two I would be good to go, plus some trauma pads. Already have carrier that fits  10 x12

newb mode off
View Quote

Clicked on that one.  Plates have a 5 year lifespan?  There is an expiration date on them?  Am I interpreting this correctly?  I know nothing about armor but plan to start reading up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:09:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Clicked on that one.  Plates have a 5 year lifespan?  There is an expiration date on them?  Am I interpreting this correctly?  I know nothing about armor but plan to start reading up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok total newb mode  on

https://tacticalscorpiongear.com/tactical-scorpion-gear-level-iv-polyethylene-body-armor-10x12-plate.html

are front and rear plates the same? If i just order two I would be good to go, plus some trauma pads. Already have carrier that fits  10 x12

newb mode off

Plate components have a degradation of material.  Plates won't necessarily "expire" but the company won't back them past that date.  Tactical Scorpion ones I looked at were 5 years...  the RMA ones linked just above are 10 years
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why do people wait to get things when theyve been so cheap and available for years
View Quote

Complacency. Aka same reason Joe gets smoked at a checkpoint 4 months into a deployment with no shots fired thus far and first fight he is looking at his ipod with his headphones in and not his lane.?????
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Plate components have a degradation of material.  Plates won't necessarily "expire" but the company won't back them past that date.  Tactical Scorpion ones I looked at were 5 years...  the RMA ones linked just above are 10 years
View Quote
Thank you.  Was totally unaware of that.  These guys are in Austin, TX.  They talk a lot about getting "fitted".  Is that someone you guys do?  Although it looks like they have no stock available right now, anybody order from them?

http://www.bulletproofme.com/
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:19:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thank you.  Was totally unaware of that.  These guys are in Austin, TX.  They talk a lot about getting "fitted".  Is that someone you guys do?  Although it looks like they have no stock available right now, anybody order from them?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heat, moisture, general wear and tear are all going to affect the longevity of the plates.

And don't "you guys" me...  I'm only in the boat directly in front of you.  Just ordered my first set today
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:25:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:29:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If I have a BFG PLATEminus carrier in large, would large multi-curve plates fit correctly?

View Quote

Yes.  I am running some older DKX plates that are about 1.35" in width in mine.

P.S 10x12 would fit in a medium carrier.  Large might be to big.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:52:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In all fairness to Botach (yeah, yeah, blah, blah) my order from Saber Solutions in early June has a 12 week lead time.
View Quote

The issue with Botach is they need to reauthorize your credit card again after 30 days, and they do not keep it on file! You must take the initiative, and follow up with them weekly IMO.

I just purchased both the LAPG LVL IV, and the Botach BS LVL IV. The Botach Battle Steel thread has some good info and pics.

The Botach Battle Steel Level IV were quite impressive. They are well curved, lightweight and inexpensive compared to some of the other budget offerings.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

note the 5-year lifespan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok total newb mode  on

newb mode off

I've a pretty nice set of multicurves made by LTC I got from bullet proof me. those, I don't worry about the "5yr date"
and i don't know when you would. I know what's inside and some details. I wasn't there but you know.

no idea on the stock -  bulletproofme. the stuff they do sell isn't junk.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 5:43:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You missed the Kota deal a few weeks back. Level 4 plates with a carrier for 220 dollars shipped.
View Quote

I got whatever the recent deal was from them for $256 shipped and it arrived within 2 days.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Bought these yesterday...$249 shipped for set

https://www.bodyarmoroutlet.com/products/copy-of-bao-tactical-pair-of-4400gl-level-iv-sa-hard-armor-plates-shooters-cut-single-curve-10x12

Hope they are good...gonna put them in a GGG minimalist carrier...
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.bodyarmoroutlet.com/products/copy-of-bao-tactical-pair-of-4400gl-level-iv-sa-hard-armor-plates-shooters-cut-single-curve-10x12

View Quote

They're GTG, just rebranded Hesco's.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#37]
At tactical scorpion gear use the code thegunpenguin for 15% off.

Your welcome
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well...B.A.O. just sent me a email confirming my order...and they said they are expecting there next shipment of the 4400s in Sept....so itll be a couple month wait.....anyone have these or the 1155 plates in stock?
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a large plate minus with hesco 4401 10x12 and wish I bought a medium. It's not terrible but needs a spacer at the bottom to snug the pages properly at the top of the pocket.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
At tactical scorpion gear use the code thegunpenguin for 15% off.

Your welcome
View Quote

Thanks I might get those 3+ steel plates.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Aren’t all ceramic plates 5 year rated?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know of any natural mechanism that degrades ceramics.

plastic breaks down over time, and those are HDPE plates.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not so much of material breaking down but the adhesive between the ceramic/hdpe
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well...B.A.O. just sent me a email confirming my order...and they said they are expecting there next shipment of the 4400s in Sept....so itll be a couple month wait.....anyone have these or the 1155 plates in stock?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could probably get 1155’s directly from RMA a few weeks faster, but honestly, I’d just wait it out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Its not so much of material breaking down but the adhesive between the ceramic/hdpe
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

interesting--i didn't know that.  my current PC setup is a III+ HDPE in front, and a II+ soft panel in back.  Minus mags, it weighs maybe 7# total.  but i'm worried about time, so i just ordered a ceramic IV plate, and plan to move the HDPE to the back.

it's my funeral.

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You could probably get 1155’s directly from RMA a few weeks faster, but honestly, I’d just wait it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the email they sent to tell me about the timeframe they offered me the 1155s for $15 more each and said I'd have them sooner( Aug)...but I stayed with the 4400s I ordered originally.  What's the differences between the 1155s and 4400s?
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

In the email they sent to tell me about the timeframe they offered me the 1155s for $15 more each and said I'd have them sooner( Aug)...but I stayed with the 4400s I ordered originally.  What's the differences between the 1155s and 4400s?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the Hesco’s are a tad lighter. At the price point, both are best in class IMO.  Really comes down to which logo you prefer (which will be hidden anyway), and if you feel like waiting that extra month.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Are trauma pads a must have for ceramic?
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

It came back for a few hours last week.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I ordered my $99 level 4 plates from Botach june 24th and had them in hand around July 13th. some guys have been waiting longer for the same thing, I guess its just luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Procrastination
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do people wait to get things when theyve been so cheap and available for years

Procrastination

Until the last year I looked at that stuff and said, I've not trained with it and the chances of me donning body armor for a home defense situation are slim to none.  In fact, I've been the only guy at a carbine course or pistol course without some kind of carrier because train how you fight and vs versa.

My mind changed quite a bit this year.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top