Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#1]
That's how debate is supposed to look.

People calmly discussing their viewpoint, listening intently to the language and trying to understand the counterpoint of view.

Maybe you come to common ground; maybe you agree to disagree.

The trouble is the people I'm accustom to seeing in these academic debates are super-duper short on information, so they substitute screaming, chanting, and poop flinging in place of reason.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The trouble is the people I'm accustom to seeing in these academic debates are super-duper short on information, so they substitute screaming, chanting, and poop flinging in place of reason.
View Quote
What happens when AI makes lolbert pundits obsolete. What job can you retrain a Reason Mag writer for? How do you compensate for their diminished mental capacity?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So your on the bright side take on this is increased labor supply for a different industry driving wages down further? Holy shit you people have to be trolling me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the second largest occupation of high school educated men in the US?  Seems like that industry would gain a larger pool to draw employees from.  Maybe that field would grow.

Just a thought...
So your on the bright side take on this is increased labor supply for a different industry driving wages down further? Holy shit you people have to be trolling me.
if you read my longer post, you'd see that from my family's own history you can't just say "technology = job loss, job loss = bad for family"

Maybe if people were driven out of an industry that develops very little skills and they had to get a job in a field that developed other marketable skills, it would be better for them and their family.

But free markets be scary, yo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
if you read my longer post, you'd see that from my family's own history you can't just say "technology = job loss, job loss = bad for family"

Maybe if people were driven out of an industry that develops very little skills and they had to get a job in a field that developed other marketable skills, it would be better for them and their family.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the second largest occupation of high school educated men in the US?  Seems like that industry would gain a larger pool to draw employees from.  Maybe that field would grow.

Just a thought...

CDL is a skill based trade....
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought...

That is not what I said at all. Mention me if you want to discuss what I actually said otherwise I gotta go to work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't like either Tuck or Ben. Kennedy, Stossel, or Judge Napolitano for me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought...

Great, now we're getting somewhere. What other occupations are CDL skills applicable?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#9]
The invisible hand as moderns understand it is a rejection of hierarchical human decision making. It is an appeal to magic.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That is not what I said at all. Mention me if you want to discuss what I actually said otherwise I gotta go to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought...

@svan you said wages would be driven down in that gaining industry. Simply saying an increased labor supply will drive wages down without even looking into what the occupational field that would potentially receive that increase in labor is not necessarily true. It is possible that the limiting factor in that industry growing is labor supply.

And obviously not all people would join that trade, the same way not all high school educated men are truck drivers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#11]

But muh fast food cashiers!  What are they going to do for work now?

Technology bad!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Battle of the nerds
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/960x0/https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fedrensi%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F07%2Fmcdonalds-1200x783.jpg

Technology bad!
View Quote
What are they gonna do?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What are they gonna do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/960x0/https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fedrensi%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F07%2Fmcdonalds-1200x783.jpg

Technology bad!
What are they gonna do?
Find a new job.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What are they gonna do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technology bad!
What are they gonna do?
Take out more loans for college because there arent jobs to work their way through anymore. Can’t explain that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@svan you said wages would be driven down in that gaining industry. Simply saying an increased labor supply will drive wages down without even looking into what the occupational field that would potentially receive that increase in labor is not necessarily true. It is possible that the limiting factor in that industry growing is labor supply.

And obviously not all people would join that trade, the same way not all high school educated men are truck drivers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought...

Surplus of labor drives down wages: change my mind.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Find a new job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technology bad!
What are they gonna do?
Find a new job.
More likely they'll end up on welfare.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought...

Free markets are better than centrally planned economies: change my mind.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Great, now we're getting somewhere. What other occupations are CDL skills applicable?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought...

You tell me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technology bad!
What are they gonna do?
Find a new job.
Just like all the Lehman Brothers employees.

People lose jobs. They move on. I've done it. I've seen my family do it.

You're never going to see me advocating for the .gov to step in to protect any industry just because the people losing their job will likely end up on welfare.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Technology bad!
View Quote
Are you currently employed in the private sector?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You tell me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought...

You tell me.
I don't know. You're the one who told me truck driving is a skill based trade. What are those skills?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technology bad!
I'm deployed right now, but when I'm not activated, yes I am.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technology bad!
Betting .mil or contractor. The loudest muh market folks are always compensating for being on the dole.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Shapiro.

Tucker did sound like a Luddite.
View Quote
Is a Luddite. No concept of how markets work. Why not have people move stuff in donkey carts?  Think of all the teamster jobs and the donkey breeders, hay farmers and wainwrights. Not to mention lower emissions.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Betting .mil or contractor. The loudest muh market folks are always compensating for being on the dole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technology bad!
Dole? Lol.

Defense is mentioned as a responsibility of the government in the constitution. Please show me where muh fast food cashiers or truck drivers are mentioned.

Maybe they can go see their nearest recruiter when a robot takes their place at Mickey D's.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dole? Lol.

Defense is mentioned as a responsibility of the government in the constitution. Please show me where muh fast food cashiers or truck drivers are mentioned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technology bad!
Dole? Lol.

Muh militia.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't know. You're the one who told me truck driving is a skill based trade. What are those skills?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought...

You tell me.
The sky is also blue, but I hope you'd have enough common sense to know this already.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Muh militia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technology bad!
Dole? Lol.

Muh militia.
lol
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tucker is a major disappointment here.
View Quote
I agree with this statement.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
...What if there was an A.I. creation that could make the need for registered nurses vanish or the quantity needed be greatly reduced?...
View Quote
Be careful what you wish for. Fuck that shit.

You haven't thought this out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tucker any day.
View Quote
Yep.  tucker is for america first.  Shapiro, not so much
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Shapiro isn't wrong all the time, but he has a voice that goes through my head like a knife.

And his anti-Trump stance is often times irrational.
View Quote
It is almost like shapiro has an anti nationalist reflex, for some reason...
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dole? Lol.

Maybe they can go see their nearest recruiter when a robot takes their place at Mickey D's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technology bad!
Dole? Lol.

>not paying federal income tax because of .Gov job
>lectures skilled tradesmen about the free market

Also guess what? The military is at an all time high for requirement standards. Most of the Mickey D are DQd at the door.

Wanna know why? Because. WE. ARE. LOSING. JOBS.

This is more complicated than "muh maket, inshalla" we are in a technological runaway that has no historical equal. We need to dramatically change and we aren't. Your arguments are based on a frame work that doesnt exist.

We can chase work until we hit the ground and then what? A class disparity that rivals the peasants and nobles of the fucking dark ages. I'm not saying that tucker is 100% right, but atleast his way will work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The sky is also blue, but I hope you'd have enough common sense to know this already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought...

You tell me.
If you can't name a skill that truck drivers have that has market value outside of truck driving then you're right. The government should do whatever it takes to protect their jobs. There should probably be a bill to ban research into driverless vehicles. Were should get rid of pay at the pump for diesel too. After all, if you're working as a cashier at a truck stop you obviously have no skills disable to any employer outside of that industry. Those jobs need to be protected. The fabric of the community would be ruined if Sally Jane lost her job at Pilot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I agree. The way I see it is our primary disagreement is what is actually the role of government. Is it to protect the interests of its citizens or facilitate the accumulation of wealth at all costs? The neocon/neoliberal approach is to assist those who are best at accumulating mass amounts of wealth and in the process disregard the citizenry until the end of the process. Their view is turn the US into a global market place: unleash the rent seekers, multinational corporations, sacrifice middle class jobs and then just shave a little off for welfare programs to make up for lost jobs or societal issues caused in the process. The Tucker approach seems to be putting the concerns of the citizenry up front even if it means less than optimal wealth accumulation strategies.

Basically is the USA our homeland or is it a global marketplace and resource?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These arguments are what people and government SHOULD be arguing about and working through. But our congress is too stupid, corrupt, and afraid to talk about what matters. They can’t even do budgets anymore. Pathetic.
I agree. The way I see it is our primary disagreement is what is actually the role of government. Is it to protect the interests of its citizens or facilitate the accumulation of wealth at all costs? The neocon/neoliberal approach is to assist those who are best at accumulating mass amounts of wealth and in the process disregard the citizenry until the end of the process. Their view is turn the US into a global market place: unleash the rent seekers, multinational corporations, sacrifice middle class jobs and then just shave a little off for welfare programs to make up for lost jobs or societal issues caused in the process. The Tucker approach seems to be putting the concerns of the citizenry up front even if it means less than optimal wealth accumulation strategies.

Basically is the USA our homeland or is it a global marketplace and resource?
A nation can not be but an economy.  First and foremost is must be a home for a people to have sovereignty.  THEN they can figure out how best to maintain their homeland and culture  economically.   Otherwise every nation and people just get rolled over by the forces of globalism and get turned into grey rootless consumer drones serving a transnational elite
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you can't name a skill that truck drivers have that has market value outside of truck driving then you're right. The government should do whatever it takes to protect their jobs. There should probably be a bill to ban research into driverless vehicles. Were should get rid of pay at the pump for diesel too. After all, if you're working as a cashier at a truck stop you obviously have no skills disable to any employer outside of that industry. Those jobs need to be protected. The fabric of the community would be ruined if Sally Jane lost her job at Pilot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought...

You tell me.
Driving the truck is the skill

It's called a learned skilled trade. You learn the skill. You spend a career learning the skill.

I cant belive I have to explain this.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wall Street hates us. Why are we defending them again?
Have you even read Adam Smith?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/352436/4CD4D9C5-586B-4528-973A-7B05A8096740_jpeg-745189.JPG
Lol
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't like to watch or listen to either of them. They are both academic debaters, and I feel as though I am listening to a college kid on stage at a university just trying to score a point. There's not a whole lot of real anger or emotion with either of those two guys when they voice their point. It comes accross as purely academic. Tucker especially annoys me via allowing the worst libtard guests onto his show to voice their warped opinion. Keep the lefty SOBs on MSNBC. I don't need to hear them on Fox!!

I will NOT be able to change the mind of a Michael Moore America hater or a college professor who promotes leftist indoctrination to his students.  Why waste time talking with these kinds of people? It accomplishes nothing and I don't find it entertaining.

View Quote
Imagine being this much of a boomer.  Listening to the other side is helpful, and pretty entertaining as well. How boring would it be watching a channel that just repeats the same shit you agree with over and over?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

in 50 years I'll be 86 and the millions of people who have no jobs voting for socialists and communists promising them free shit will be the problem of young people who "didn't see it coming".
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Also guess what? The military is at an all time high for requirement standards. Most of the Mickey D are DQd at the door.

This is more complicated than "muh maket, inshalla" we are in a technological runaway that has no historical equal. We need to dramatically change and we aren't. Your arguments are based on a frame work that doesnt exist.

We can chase work until we hit the ground and then what? A class disparity that rivals the peasants and nobles of the fucking dark ages. I'm not saying that tucker is 100% right, but atleast his way will work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technology bad!
Dole? Lol.

Why couldn't you enlist? What stopped you from seizing on this wonderful occupational opportunity? If you think waiting for your number to be called for the shower at a Flying J in Columbus, New Mexico is bad, it's probably a good thing you didn't enlist, even for a "part-time" job.

We're losing jobs? WTF are you talking about?
Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 250,000 in October, and the unemployment rate was unchanged at 3.7 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Job gains occurred in health care, in manufacturing, in construction, and in transportation and warehousing.

Lololololololol
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Except they literally did NOT do that.  In 1970, exports were less than 2.5% of GDP for China.

https://i.imgur.com/m82DlHx.jpg

They also import a shit ton.

https://i.imgur.com/OQsc081.jpg

If you look at China's overall trade balance, it pretty much netted to $0 up through 2005 or so.  Just because they export a lot more to the US than they import doesn't mean they do that with the entire world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean China literally did this and has achieved the largest amount of wealth accumulation and growth among their middle class of all nations in the past decades. You don't actually have to get high on your own supply, some philosophers would even advise against it.
Except they literally did NOT do that.  In 1970, exports were less than 2.5% of GDP for China.

https://i.imgur.com/m82DlHx.jpg

They also import a shit ton.

https://i.imgur.com/OQsc081.jpg

If you look at China's overall trade balance, it pretty much netted to $0 up through 2005 or so.  Just because they export a lot more to the US than they import doesn't mean they do that with the entire world.
His point was not that China has a trade a surplus store deficit but that it created all sorts of industries out of whole cloth to serve international demand his point was not that Chyna has a trade at surplus or deficit but that it created all sorts of industries out of whole cloth to serve international demand w/o previous domestic demand
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shapiro isn't wrong all the time, but he has a voice that goes through my head like a knife.

And his anti-Trump stance is often times irrational.
Except for one county though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
"They can also work at the warehouse for 10 dollars less an hour with no OT"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"We'll just retrain somebody who's highest potential is a truck driver to program code for GPS units!"
"They can also work at the warehouse for 10 dollars less an hour with no OT"
Robots takin those jeorbs too!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What do you want a selection algorithm? It would obviously be contextual.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you autistic by any chance? Can you really not fathom a scenario where subsidies are used strategically to keep some small towns alive and not escalate into dumping cassette players in the ocean?
So you want the government to pick winners and losers?  How do we decide which towns to save and which towns to tell to get fucked?
What do you want a selection algorithm? It would obviously be contextual.
How about we dont try to save towns so much as the nationon at large via tariffs that keep american industry geberally competitive w foreign nations that pay workers 5 cents/hr and have no environment or safety regulations?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's called a learned skilled trade. You learn the skill. You spend a career learning the skill.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought...

You tell me.

So going back to my original question,  "What other occupations are CDL skills applicable?" You just said there aren't any.

Should we keep the size of the military up just because, "muh 11Bs and 0311s don't got no skills to other employers"? What about that running back who left college after his Jr. year then suffers a career ending injury? He can't play teh foosball anymore, what's he gonna do for work?

It seems like you want the government to protect some occupations and not others. If that's your position, cool. I just disagree with it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh god. He's smart, but hes not working at fucking CERN.

Stahp, this thread is just to much
Shabiro is muh greddest ally.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/352436/72776BDD-DE4C-4392-BC4D-2117B25E6E1A_jpeg-745211.JPG
Lol
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Why couldn't you enlist? What stopped you from seizing on this wonderful occupational opportunity? If uou think waiting for your number to be called for the shower at a Flying J in Columbus, New Mexico is bad, it's probably a good thing you didn't enlist, even for a "part-time" job.

Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 250,000 in October, and the unemployment rate was unchanged at 3.7 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Job gains occurred in health care, in manufacturing, in construction, and in transportation and warehousing.

Lololololololol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technology bad!
Dole? Lol.

Why couldn't you enlist? What stopped you from seizing on this wonderful occupational opportunity? If uou think waiting for your number to be called for the shower at a Flying J in Columbus, New Mexico is bad, it's probably a good thing you didn't enlist, even for a "part-time" job.

Lololololololol
This is the problem, you aren't thinking ahead. At all.

And yeah I tried. I got DQ'd thrice. Kind of a faggot jab but whatever I guess you feel big an army stonk now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Shapiro is like a brilliant little kid who thinks he knows everything (and is correct often enough to have to pay attention to) but is incredibly naive and lacks experience in so many areas that his opinions are often simply wrong.  He is also not as conservative as he claims.

His constant self righteous drum beat against Trump lead me to being a never Shapiro-er.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What happens when AI makes lolbert pundits obsolete. What job can you retrain a Reason Mag writer for? How do you compensate for their diminished mental capacity?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shapiro could always hold the tolitte paper roll w his index fingers for tue Koch brothers.  Of course, the KOCH bros wouldnt do that to SHIPIRO
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top