Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you have a better answer to the question of job loss? How can you rationalize knowingly making millions of Americans jobless due simply to convenience?

I'm convinced that lolbertarians are just a death cult at this point.
View Quote
There is no job loss.  Taking the example in the video about truck drivers...say you lose one trucker.  You gain jobs supporting those self-driving trucks...whether it be the cameras/radar systems on it, GPS, improving road infrastructure, road calls, etc...

And face it, there will never be true self-driving trucks.  There is no way in hell a computer can navigate a rest area, truck stop, or much less maneuvering around a warehouse and backing into a dock.  A person will drive the truck to the highway...then the truck can 'take over' until it's time to exit the highway, where the person will take over driving again.

It will take generations before a warehouse employee can push a button and send a truck to another warehouse completely on it's own...
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Driverless truck idea is stupid and unnecessary. Its not about safety its about selling a new technology and not paying a driver.
How do they refuel?
What if that is sabotaged?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
But that's where it leads.  You end up with the government paying farmers to dump their crops and then eventually paying them to just not farm at all.  This isn't a hypothetical.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose when people were no longer buying the product it wouldn't make sense. People would still be buying kale, I doubt there is a market for cassette players at any price.
But that's where it leads.  You end up with the government paying farmers to dump their crops and then eventually paying them to just not farm at all.  This isn't a hypothetical.
Are you really suggesting we would have some ohio cassette player manufacturing plant dumping cassette players in the ocean for subsidies? If that is really a concern I am sure it can be handled in properly authoring the policy. This is why I hate extrapolation and abstraction in argument.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had the opportunity to meet Ben Shapiro last week. We sat down and talked for about 15 minutes. He is down to earth, and is a true believer in the 2nd amendment.  I walked away having a greater respect for him.
View Quote
ur mom grey
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is no job loss.  Taking the example in the video about truck drivers...say you lose one trucker.  You gain jobs supporting those self-driving trucks...whether it be the cameras/radar systems on it, GPS, improving road infrastructure, road calls, etc...

And face it, there will never be true self-driving trucks.  There is no way in hell a computer can navigate a rest area, truck stop, or much less maneuvering around a warehouse and backing into a dock.  A person will drive the truck to the highway...then the truck can 'take over' until it's time to exit the highway, where the person will take over driving again.

It will take generations before a warehouse employee can push a button and send a truck to another warehouse completely on it's own...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a better answer to the question of job loss? How can you rationalize knowingly making millions of Americans jobless due simply to convenience?

cameras/radar systems on it
built in foreign nations.

GPS
built in foreign nations.

improving road infrastructure
immigrants.

road calls
immigrants w/ a tow truck.

Meanwhile you've gutted more American towns where drivers and their families lived and worked or highway stop towns that relied on pass through traffic and chased more people from their family's soil that they grew up on in the name of maximizing wealth accumulation for a select group of people and furthering the conversion of the US into a rootless society. Do any of you progress at all costs, unleash the market people see the destructiveness of your ideas?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shapiro makes a better case.
View Quote
yep.

Shapiro's case doesn't ignore the point that regardless if what we think or what we want the market gets what it wants..

the market always gets what the market wants.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Tucker by FAR.  Ben Shapiro is a cuck, and he sounds like a bitch.  Plus Tucker wasn't a NEVER TRUMPER.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Tucker could also argue that no matter how beneficial a given technology, product or service is, if there is nobody with the money to avail themselves of it, not only do the masses fail to derive any benefit from it, those who own or furnish the products or services will not profit from it as they could have if John Q Public had the disposable income to purchase it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Shapiro isn't wrong all the time, but he has a voice that goes through my head like a knife.

And his anti-Trump stance is often times irrational.
View Quote
Before Shapiro went to work for the Never Trump billionaire Wilks brothers, he wrote a piece (2011) basically claiming Trump would be an awesome president.

Ben is VERY smart and a very good debater, he's not irrational he's just working for the Wilks bros who wasted $15 million on a Cruz PAC in the 2016 presidential campaign.
Now that does call into question if his editorial opinions are up for purchase, but he's not irrational.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I mean China literally did this and has achieved the largest amount of wealth accumulation and growth among their middle class of all nations in the past decades. You don't actually have to get high on your own supply, some philosophers would even advise against it.
View Quote
Except they literally did NOT do that.  In 1970, exports were less than 2.5% of GDP for China.

They also import a shit ton.

If you look at China's overall trade balance, it pretty much netted to $0 up through 2005 or so.  Just because they export a lot more to the US than they import doesn't mean they do that with the entire world.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The original topic, holding back progress in the interest of the citizenry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is your position?
What is mu position on driverless trucks or on the questions I asked you?
The original topic, holding back progress in the interest of the citizenry.
I don't know, to be honest. The personal arguments about being close to family gravesites and not wanting to leave an area just have no sway on me. I took my first real job 2,000 miles away from where my parents lived and where my family is buried.

My maternal grandparents picked cotton. After technology made manual cotton pickers less profitable, my grandmother and grandfather moved and my grandfather began welding and my grandmother worked at a blue jeans factory. I worked in a booming industry, until Obama was elected. I didn't have a powerful union like the UAW to look out for me. I moved across the country where I could still find work in that field.

From a national economy standpoint, I have less faith in Washington DC getting something right than I do a free(er) market. With that said, I do not doubt that automation almost instantly eliminating the jobs of millions of people won't have an effect on the economy. The skills and experience my grandparents gained were far more beneficial for their family's well being than if they stayed picking cotton their whole lives.

What if there was an A.I. creation that could make the need for registered nurses vanish or the quantity needed be greatly reduced?  It would undoubtedly drive down medical costs down, and that occupation is dominated by college educated women. I don't think RNs should be protected from that widget.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Except they literally did NOT do that.  In 1970, exports were less than 2.5% of GDP for China.

https://i.imgur.com/m82DlHx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OQsc081.jpg

If you look at China's overall trade balance, it pretty much netted to $0 up through 2005 or so.  Just because they export a lot more to the US than they import doesn't mean they do that with the entire world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean China literally did this and has achieved the largest amount of wealth accumulation and growth among their middle class of all nations in the past decades. You don't actually have to get high on your own supply, some philosophers would even advise against it.

https://i.imgur.com/m82DlHx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OQsc081.jpg

I thought the argument was starting an industry that exports, these are just overall numbers. Domestic demand in China did not drive their electronics manufacturing industry.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"It will create more jobs"

Thats...Um...K
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Are you really suggesting we would have some ohio cassette player manufacturing plant dumping cassette players in the ocean for subsidies? If that is really a concern I am sure it can be handled in properly authoring the policy. This is why I hate extrapolation and abstraction in argument.
View Quote
100%.  If you subsidize production of something you will end up with more of that thing than can be sold.  This is Econ 101 basic stuff.  Then you have a choice - if you still want to subsidize the producers but don't want a surplus to pile up, you essentially have to pay producers to NOT make any.  This isn't abstraction, it's the literal history of farm subsidies in the US over the last 50 years.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Tucker is not wrong in the broad view that if everyone with a CDL is displaced from the workforce in the next 1-5 years there will be some immediate issues at hand. He's wrong about wanting to restrict the technology that would enable this to happen. That's trending a little close towards the flat earther crowd. And I post this as someone with a CDL, although I only drive on public roads maybe a handful of times per month and if all trucks became automated tomorrow it would have minimal effect on what I actually do.

If the technology does come along that makes me obsolete, it's up to me to become relevant again. Or roll over and die I guess
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
100%.  If you subsidize production of something you will end up with more of that thing than can be sold.  This is Econ 101 basic stuff.  Then you have a choice - if you still want to subsidize the producers but don't want a surplus to pile up, you essentially have to pay producers to NOT make any.  This isn't abstraction, it's the literal history of farm subsidies in the US over the last 50 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you autistic by any chance? Can you really not fathom a scenario where subsidies are used strategically to keep some small towns alive and not escalate into dumping cassette players in the ocean?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I can't watch the video, but I wouldn't bet against Ben Shapiro in a debate. Tucker's good, but he's not a great debater. And to be clear, I like both of them. Generally speaking, that is.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Are you autistic by any chance? Can you really not fathom a scenario where subsidies are used strategically to keep some small towns alive and not escalate into dumping cassette players in the ocean?
View Quote
So you want the government to pick winners and losers?  How do we decide which towns to save and which towns to tell to get fucked?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#19]
"We'll just retrain somebody who's highest potential is a truck driver to program code for GPS units!"
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"We'll just retrain somebody who's highest potential is a truck driver to program code for GPS units!"
View Quote
"They can also work at the warehouse for 10 dollars less an hour with no OT"
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So you want the government to pick winners and losers?  How do we decide which towns to save and which towns to tell to get fucked?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you want a selection algorithm? It would obviously be contextual.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Wow. Two masters of debate. That was interesting to watch just from the standpoint of analyzing debate tactics.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I guess it’s either death, I mean work camps or a skid row wasteland in America’s future.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Smiles in Bow-Tie"
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Shapiro is infinitely more intelligent than Tucker, who certainly isn’t a dummy but also isn’t the most eloquent speaker/nuanced thinker.

Shapiro’s IQ is probably in the top .5% and I don’t think that’s an exaggeration.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is a silly argument.  Just because a new technology is highly advanced doesn't mean that it only creates jobs for super geniuses.  Just look at the internet.  Millions of jobs created that don't involve designing router hardware or coding network stacks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Shapiro is infinitely more intelligent than Tucker, who certainly isn’t a dummy but also isn’t the most eloquent speaker/nuanced thinker.

Shapiro’s IQ is probably in the top .5% and I don’t think that’s an exaggeration.
View Quote
He's also an unlikeable sperg.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
So based on political favoritism.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh god. He's smart, but hes not working at fucking CERN.

Stahp, this thread is just to much
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
elvis presley - in the ghetto
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
H1B to the rescue. lolberts: Why does this keep happening to me. I don’t get it. I prayed to the market god and still he has forsaken me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is a silly argument.  Just because a new technology is highly advanced doesn't mean that it only creates jobs for super geniuses.  Just look at the internet.  Millions of jobs created that don't involve designing router hardware or coding network stacks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since the industrial revolution people on the left side of the bell curve have been gradually displaced from employment. The pace recently has been increasing rapidly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea obviously that is literally the only outcome.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Shapiro isn't wrong all the time, but he has a voice that goes through my head like a knife.

And his anti-Trump stance is often times irrational.
View Quote

Shapiro isn’t anti-Trump. He’s anti-bad ideas. He likes the vast majority of Trump’s policy but isn’t afraid to level criticism when it’s warranted.

Do you agree with every single thing Trump has ever done?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Shabiro is muh greddest ally.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#37]
What's the second largest occupation of high school educated men in the US?  Seems like that industry would gain a larger pool to draw employees from.  Maybe that field would grow.

Just a thought...
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Get both.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/352436/72776BDD-DE4C-4392-BC4D-2117B25E6E1A_jpeg-745211.JPG
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What's the second largest occupation of high school educated men in the US?  Seems like that industry would gain a larger pool to draw employees from.  Maybe that field would grow.

Just a thought...
View Quote
So your on the bright side take on this is increased labor supply for a different industry driving wages down further? Holy shit you people have to be trolling me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/352436/72776BDD-DE4C-4392-BC4D-2117B25E6E1A_jpeg-745211.JPG
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

H1B to the rescue. lolberts: Why does this keep happening to me. I don’t get it. I prayed to the market god and still he has forsaken me.
View Quote
Crom laughs at your puny market forces.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Tucker is a major disappointment here.
View Quote
This.  His concerns for common workers is admirable, but his solution is stupid and not conservative.  His thought process would fit well with gun grabbers.

I still like Tucker, but Ben stands on conservative principles more than Tucker and his feelings.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Shapiro is a cuck-child with a big brain he doesn't quite know how to use yet.

Needs to shut up for about 20 years and gain a little life experience.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So your on the bright side take on this is increased labor supply for a different industry driving wages down further? Holy shit you people have to be trolling me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a thought...
The market giveth and the market taketh.

Inshallah
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This.  His concerns for common workers is admirable, but his solution is stupid and not conservative.  His thought process would fit well with gun grabbers.

I still like Tucker, but Ben stands on conservative principles more than Tucker and his feelings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard that you can pay bills with principles now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#47]
[SQUEEKER NOISES]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Principles dont buy fucking groceries.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The market giveth and the market taketh.

Inshallah
View Quote
Praise be to Adam Smith pbuh!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Principles dont buy fucking groceries.
View Quote
There’s always plenty of work in the Death Camp of Tolerance.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top