BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being a scientist trying to understand the millions of reactions that happen in our body on a daily basis in order for us to have life, I find it hard to believe this all happens by chance.

So yes, I believe in God.
View Quote

I agree with you, also when you read things like this it really makes you think!

http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Non-believer.

Faith for me is more of a superficial thing - I only rely on it for inconsequential things, to keep life rolling along smoothly. I didn't thoroughly examine the structural integrity of the chair I'm sitting in before I sat down, for example.

Anyway, if your poll turns out like the others that people have conducted on this site over the years, you'll probably notice that non-believers are represented more heavily on arfcom than they are in the general population. You'll also find (it's an expensive hobby) that upper middle class incomes are overrepresented here compared to the general population, as well as people with postgraduate degrees. Those two groups, especially the latter, always tend to lean a bit towards being religiously unaffiliated. I'm guessing that partially explains some of it, anyway.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#3]
There are many religions that believe in a God, Christianity doesn't have any kind of monopoly on the concept of a deity.  There are also people that believe in a God without subscribing to any particular religious doctrine.  That doesn't even touch the arguments between a personal god vs. impersonal god or people who don't deny the existence of a supreme being but want to see more verifiable proof of its existence.

The question is too limiting.  An atheist denies the existence of any deity.  Just because you don't believe in Christianity doesn't make you an atheist.

Personally I'm agnostic.  Things are way too organized throughout the universe for my mind to comprehend it all happened randomly.  I do believe in a creator of our universe, but I do not believe in the biblical teachings that God spoke to humans thousands of years ago, incarnated himself in human form to experience human suffering, and then went completely silent for over 2,000 years while we are supposed to believe that no matter how good or bad we are during our lifetime, ultimately on our death bed our belief in the accuracy of 2,000+ year old stories passed down orally for generations decides whether we get into heaven or not.

I'm going to live my life in a manner that is empathetic to other people and ensure my actions do as little harm as possible to others.  I'll let whatever god is out there judge me on my actions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are many religions that believe in a God, Christianity doesn't have any kind of monopoly on the concept of a deity.  There are also people that believe in a God without subscribing to any particular religious doctrine.  That doesn't even touch the arguments between a personal god vs. impersonal god or people who don't deny the existence of a supreme being but want to see more verifiable proof of its existence.

The question is too limiting.  An atheist denies the existence of any deity.  Just because you don't believe in Christianity doesn't make you an atheist.
View Quote

True,but I'm a Christian and aren't interested in any other beliefs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
In on page 1 of 50. Believer, can't imagine not having the king watching my back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I am neither an atheist nor a Christian.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
No option for both so no vote.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#8]
YES I am

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So how is Christianity the right one?
Because your parents told you so?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#10]
lol I knew this would get good.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Poll fail.

Agnostic.

I await evidence of a higher being.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope. No god or gods.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.  There are many ways to believe in Christ, not to mention a ton of other possible beliefs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
False dichotomy much?

This.  There are many ways to believe in Christ, not to mention a ton of other possible beliefs.

That is why I didn't vote.

Also, OP doesn't know how to spell, "atheist".
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#14]
God, yes. Jesus as a good Jewish man, yes. Jesus as the son of God, the savior etc, no.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Jesus died on a cross for me(and you, even the atheists).
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pity you for your choosing to live in self-imposed ignorance.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So your faith is based purely on self interest.  I don't think it's supposed to work that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does it go?

I'd rather a lifetime of being wrong than an eternity of being wrong...

So your faith is based purely on self interest.  I don't think it's supposed to work that way.

I'm with you. Any faith that I may or may not have... is not predicated on hedging my bets. An omnipotent being who could set in motion the infinite miracle that is the cosmos.... certainly isn't going to be fooled by any self-serving, calculated face that I happen to be wearing while being judged by him. Any pitiful attempts that I make trying to excuse my imperfection would just be pathetic. If he exists... then he knows me well and accepts me as I am (or doesn't).

Where's the poll option for "I cannot fathom the beauty of this infinite cosmos, without believing that there MUST be an order and plan to it all... but I don't KNOW jack squat"???
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Non-believer.

Faith for me is more of a superficial thing - I only rely on it for inconsequential things, to keep life rolling along smoothly. I didn't thoroughly examine the structural integrity of the chair I'm sitting in before I sat down, for example.

Anyway, if your poll turns out like the others that people have conducted on this site over the years, you'll probably notice that non-believers are represented more heavily on arfcom than they are in the general population. You'll also find (it's an expensive hobby) that upper middle class incomes are overrepresented here compared to the general population, as well as people with postgraduate degrees. Those two groups, especially the latter, always tend to lean a bit towards being religiously unaffiliated. I'm guessing that partially explains some of it, anyway.
View Quote
When you move to Texas,  you are invited to come visit my church.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Non-believer.

Potlucks are a good bribe. Just throwing that out there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, I have faith.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Non-believer.

You may have to pray in order to eat their food. You ready for that?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Non-believer.

View Quote

I'd also add that there is a self selection bias.  

Of all of the atheists, Christians and others on Arfcom, who is more likely to think "A chance to be counted," versus who is more likely to think "Ugh, not this crap again. Pass."
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#23]
My son's Little League team last spring did a team prayer thing.  I was going to try and get them to use this prayer, which I think is perfect for that purpose, but my wife talked me out of it.

Odin, far-wanderer, grant me wisdom,
Courage, and victory.
Friend Thor, grant me your strength.
And both be with me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fish on OP!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Apatheist.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Non-believer.

When my parents come over for dinner, I always ask my Dad to say grace. It reminds me of my childhood, and I can tell they appreciate the gesture. I politely bow my head and close my eyes, of course.

I can be persuaded to do that at his church, if there's a bitchin' casserole in play.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This will not go the way OP intended.

Believer.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This will not go the way OP intended.

Believer.

Yep.

Yup....with me also.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I don't think that is an either or type thing you asked.
View Quote

Yep - I'm a deist. I believe in a God - but he probably doesn't look like the one a "devout" Christian would describe.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#30]
FSM FTW!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Believer!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#32]
The emotional side of me thinks that it sure would be nice to get another go around after this one is done.

The intellectual side thinks that's not likely.

Does that make me agnostic or just stupid?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Personally I'm agnostic.  Things are way too organized throughout the universe for my mind to comprehend it all happened randomly.  I do believe in a creator of our universe, but I do not believe in the biblical teachings that God spoke to humans thousands of years ago, incarnated himself in human form to experience human suffering, and then went completely silent for over 2,000 years while we are supposed to believe that no matter how good or bad we are during our lifetime, ultimately on our death bed our belief in the accuracy of 2,000+ year old stories passed down orally for generations decides whether we get into heaven or not.

I'm going to live my life in a manner that is empathetic to other people and ensure my actions do as little harm as possible to others.  I'll let whatever god is out there judge me on my actions.
View Quote

My thanks to 78Bandit for saving me from typing out something longer and less eloquent.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When my parents come over for dinner, I always ask my Dad to say grace. It reminds me of my childhood, and I can tell they appreciate the gesture. I politely bow my head and close my eyes, of course.

I can be persuaded to do that at his church, if there's a bitchin' casserole in play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Non-believer.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I refused to vote, in good conscience.

What are the numbers?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What are the numbers?
View Quote

Just hit vote w/o selecting one.

ETA
2:1
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#38]
oops
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I think most Arfcom polls I've seen show about 20% agnostic and 20% atheist.  Being that there's no distinction, 30-40% is expected.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Non-believer.

go find yourself a nice LCMS church...you'll get fat in no time....
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You know Southern Baptists have the best pot lucks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Non-believer.

yeah?.....well...we have green jello...with stuff floating in it. also Oktober fest.....lots of brats and kraut.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

ETA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are the numbers?

ETA

Thanks, I didn't know that trick.

If OP would have worded his question differently, or given a palatable alternative answer, I would have voted.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#43]
ANTI-Theist here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Non-believer.

This is VERY true
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Believer

Never hated on any non believers. I don't get what all the fuss is about
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm just curious... for those that don't "believe" in God, do you believe life started from the "Big Bang" theory?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm just curious... for those that don't "believe" in God, do you believe life started from the "Big Bang" theory?
View Quote

Uggh...the pain.
The Big Bang theory is the an idea for how the universe expanded; it has nothing to do with the beginning of life.  It's entirely possible to be a Creationist and accept the idea that God started the expansion of the universe (the Big Bang) without thinking life came about on its own.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why bother with a poll if you've designed it to be inaccurate from the outset?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How does it go?

I'd rather a lifetime of being wrong than an eternity of being wrong...
View Quote

Pascal's Wager
Page / 7
Top Top