Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine arrived yesterday.  I tried to install it on the down stairs TV (Vizio 32") and it wouldn't install.  Kept coming up "chromecast starting..." and the screen would go to blue - "no signal".  Switched to the upstairs TV (Vizio 42") and it installed in a snap.  Only thing was the intent was assist in recovering control of the upstairs TVV from the Disney and Cartoon network crowd.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]
For the price, it's worth what I do with it - which is watch extended YouTube videos.

That's about all it's good for as I'm not a Netflix user and since I missed the promo I'm not likely to be one anytime soon.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The second one arrived yesterday.

It sure would be nice if it could handle some basic TV other than Netflix.  I'd like to setup a TV in a spot where I have high speed Internet, but I ran no cable there.

Anyone notice the new YouTube apps for iPad and iPhone, support this ChromeCast gizmo automatically?
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://marketingland.com/wp-content/ml-loads/2013/07/comparison-600x343.png

eta: plenty of content missing from chromecast. roku user here.
View Quote

Is that dated?  I bought my daughter a Roku for her birthday and we watched Youtube stuff on it no problem once I added the channel for it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It sure would be nice if it could handle some basic TV other than Netflix.  I'd like to setup a TV in a spot where I have high speed Internet, but I ran no cable there.

Anyone notice the new YouTube apps for iPad and iPhone, support this ChromeCast gizmo automatically?
View Quote

I am still satisfied with mine. I knew what it was at minimum getting into it, and it does all that fine - If it gets any more functionality, that'll be awesome.

I still am using mine daily on the TV in the bedroom.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is that dated?  I bought my daughter a Roku for her birthday and we watched Youtube stuff on it no problem once I added the channel for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no official Youtube channel for the Roku. There are one or two third party private channels or one can use a media streaming server like PlayOn or Plex to get Youtube support.

A year or two ago Roku claimed they'd have an official Roku Youtube channel but nothing has come of it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No, because I already own an Apple TV (and an iPad, and an iPhone and a MBP, all of which use Apple's "Airplay").

But if I didn't, I'd be all over this, because the functionality really is cool (I've come to take it for granted), and price can't be beat.

View Quote

I have all the same products and plan to pick one up anyway.  While I love iOS and OS X I also really like Android and open source.  Damn you ADD!
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like mine so far, I have had it for almost 2 weeks.  We have had a roku for a few years on the downstairs TV which we use the hell out of because we cut cable over 3 years ago.  The main thing the Chromecast gives us right now is native support for youtube.  There is a ton of stuff on youtube that makes that worthwhile.  Most of James May's non-Top Gear shows are out there along with a bunch of movies and every episode of Discovery "Wings".  The only disappointment is the lack of the cast feature in the android browser, but I assume that is coming.  

One interesting note, we have a Wii on our upstairs TV.  After I got the chromecast I checked their app channel and noticed the Wii has a native youtube channel now too.  That little console has been worth every penny for all that it does.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am still satisfied with mine. I knew what it was at minimum getting into it, and it does all that fine - If it gets any more functionality, that'll be awesome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For the price, it's worth what I can use it for - which is YouTube time.

It is nice that my wife's iPad "just works" with the YouTube app, as well as my iPhone.  We loaded the iPad Chromecast app, but it's just a setup utility.

I'm satisfied, but I want to be more satisfied!

I did read that Google is blocking some things that would make this more versatile.

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There is no official Youtube channel for the Roku. There are one or two third party private channels or one can use a media streaming server like PlayOn or Plex to get Youtube support.

A year or two ago Roku claimed they'd have an official Roku Youtube channel but nothing has come of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it is a private channel.  "My video buzz".  I tried plex and twonky beam, but didn't care for either for using You Tube.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top