Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/22/2007 4:19:18 PM EDT
Dave Petzal from Field and Stream just put out a blog supporting him. apparently this is the same guy that wrote an editorial 14 years ago that asked everyone to support the assault weapon ban to save his beloved bolt actions.

He dares call himself "The Gun nut".

fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/2007/02/zumbomania_davi.html#comment-61252814

"Gun owners -- all gun owners -- pay a heavy price for having to defend the availability of these weapons ... [and] [t]he American public -- and the gun-owning public; especially the gun-owning public -- would be better off without the hardcore military arms, which puts the average sportsman in a real dilemma."

-- Column by David Petzal, "Endangered Tradition" column in Field and Stream, June 1994.

He just opened his mouth again.

fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/2007/02/zumbomania_part.html

Edited to declare this an Arfcom Fire Mission.  Petzal confesses to supporting the AWB I in '94. raf

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Lets Zumbo this guy into misery.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like someone else wants fired.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
My reply:

Here is the message that nobody seems to be understanding:

The 2nd Amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting.It isn't mentioned, it wasn't the intention, period.

Now if hunters want to throw the rest of us under the bus in an effort to appease the anti-gunners in the ill-conceived notion that they won't come after your wooden stocked fancy rifles when they are finished with us, you do so at your peril.

If you work against us, we will work against you.If you would like to be one shooting/hunting community, we can do that too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/include/article/0,,contactus,00.html

>> To send letters to the Editors of Field & Stream Online, e-mail [email protected]

>> To send letters to the Editors of Field & Stream Magazine, e-mail [email protected]

>> To report technical problems with Field & Stream Online, email [email protected]

>> To advertise on Field & Stream Online, email [email protected]

>> To contact our Media Relations Department, email [email protected]

>> To advertise in Field & Stream Magazine, e-mail one of the following addresses below that is closest to you:

New York - [email protected]
California - [email protected]
Illinois - [email protected]

To manage your subscription or report issues, visit www.fieldandstream.com/customerservice

If you are still have trouble finding what you're looking for, please email us at [email protected].  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Posted.

His thoughts are here on arfcom as well..There apologists here.

That guys is an ass, according to him...If Sarah Brady gets her way...It will be our fault for going after Zumbo, someone who wants to ban ebr's...

So there are left wing gun owners who sit at cocktail parties who think the world they know is the only world.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]

ZUMBOMANIA: David E. Petzal’s take on the Jim Zumbo fiasco
In case you just emerged from a coma and have not heard, the shooting world is agog over a blog posted by Jim Zumbo, former contributing editor at Outdoor Life, over the weekend of February 17. In it, Jim stated that any semiauto rifle with an AR or AK prefix was a terrorist rifle, had no place in hunting, and should be outlawed for that purpose. Then, courtesy of the Internet and all its blogs and chatrooms, the roof fell in.

The speed with which Zumbomania spread, the number of comments it drew, and the rabid nature of same were a revelation. Overnight, this thing became as big as Janet Jackson’s clothing failure or—dare I say it?—Britney Spears’ shaved head. Jim Zumbo is now as employable as the Unabomber, and Sarah Brady will no doubt adopt his comments to her own gun-control purposes.

For the last several days I’ve been visiting all manner of blogs and chatrooms, which has reminded me of when I used to deliver used clothing to the local mental hospital. I’ve tried to make some sense of it all, but because the waters are still full of blood and body parts continue to rain from the sky, I haven’t come up with any Great Truths. Lacking that, here are some Lesser Truths.

What Jim said was ill-considered. He’s entitled to his beliefs, but when a writer of his stature comes out against black guns, it sure as hell does not help our cause.

Even so, Jim made an immediate apology. He did not equivocate, or qualify, or make excuses. He acted like a gentleman and said he was wrong, and he was sorry. Apparently this is not enough anymore. We now live in the era of one strike and you're out.

For 40 years, Jim has been a spokesman and ambassador of good will for hunting. Through his tireless efforts as a teacher and lecturer on hunting and hunting skills, he has done more for the sport than any 250 of the yahoos who called for his blood.

Jim has paid dearly for what he said. He has lost his blog and his association with Remington. Cabela’s has suspended its sponsorship of his TV show; and Outdoor Life has accepted his offer to sever ties. To all the chatroom heroes who made him unemployable, I have a word of warning: You’ve been swinging a two-edged sword. A United States in which someone can be ruined for voicing an unpopular opinion is a dangerous place. Today it was Jim’s turn. Tomorrow it may be yours.

If Sarah Brady is smart—and she is very smart—she will comb through the same blogs and chatrooms I’ve been reading, excerpt some of the most vicious and foul-mouthed entries, print them up, and distribute them to Congress. Then it will be interesting to see how the men and women who wrote that stuff enjoy seeing their efforts being put to use by every anti-gunner in America.

Stay tuned.

February 22, 2007

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#8]
What are Petzal's qualifications to pontificate on the Zumbo deal?

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Posted.

I thought I recognized your name....
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Old buddies apparently.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Posted.

I thought I recognized your name....

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#12]
It would seem the Hive Mind is counter-attacking over there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Is he calling black rifle owners..."mental patients"?

This guy is another ignorant Fudd.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Dave Petzal...the same guy that wrote an editorial 14 years ago that asked everyone to support the assault weapon ban to save his beloved bolt actions...  

Any way to dig that up?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dave Petzal...the same guy that wrote an editorial 14 years ago that asked everyone to support the assault weapon ban to save his beloved bolt actions...  

Any way to dig that up?

I doubt it. He is probably shredding HIS copy as we type this.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Looks like they've both been sniffing fumes from the same bottle of Hoppe's #9.....

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Is he calling black rifle owners..."mental patients"?

This guy is another ignorant Fudd.

Yep. Another condescending asshat.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Duely note, for myself I will need the weekend ( I am off tommorrow, three day weekend, yah ) to recharge my hate, and I will deal with this asshat monday after work.

I guess someone rode the shortbus to school and sat with lil jimmy, and is pissed that his world as he knew it has ended, but rest assured there is enough to go around.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Not related to the apologist comments, but i did notice the Field&Streams 50 BEST GUNS EVER MADE.

Take a look for yourself..

F&S is a Fudd paradise.

Its understandable why he's sticking up for him
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#20]
My Field & Stream subscription was cancelled at the same time as my Outdoor Life subscription. They are both Time-Warner publications. I'm through with both. Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#21]
My care o meter is at zero.

Just ignore him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#22]
This dude also fails to realize writers are not just ordinary people. What they say has a lot bigger impact than what one of us says on here. Yeah we all make mistakes, but when you're in that position you need to think about what you write first, and not just post shit to the entire world when you have no clue what you're talking about.

Im into hunting too, but Im more into gun rights. These writers seem to think they are better than us and can just spout off with some bullshit. If I were a writer I wouldnt be saying jack shit right now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My Field & Stream subscription was cancelled at the same time as my Outdoor Life subscription. They are both Time-Warner publications. I'm through with both. Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

Welcome!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#24]
All this made me realize a gun owners worst enemy is the gun owner that only hunts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Welcome

Nice first post
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I left him a nice scathing note to ponder as he lies there at night wondering if he and zumbo will be living on brokeback mountain
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Replied to his blog and email sent to F&S,

Here we go again..
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Oooooooooo....Sara Brady will say bad things about usssssssss

NOI
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I would like to personally apologize for all these illiterate but lovable gun-nuts.  Possibly their teachers were remiss or else they ditched school to follow their passion of hunting and fishing.  Of course they're not illiterate in the classic sense, quite the opposite, they write well enough to do it for a living.  Did the Civic's or US History teacher pass over the Constitution or did this guy and Jimbo fall asleep in class?  Alas, we'll never know for sure if that was the case or possibly sipping too much wine over campfires with their liberal friends finally drove them to likewise deny the 2nd Amendment was about tyranny, and more likely about making sure the National Guard could get firearms.   The disabuse they'll take for this may inspire their future epiphany as well as new employment.  The only one that's gettin a break from me right now is Ted and I hope he doesn't let me down.  He's still got a bit of squirrel in him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Guys, he is entitled to his little opinion of us and the Zumbo situation.  This is in no way similar--or worth our time and effort.  Attacking him only makes us look like idiots.  Please don't--he has not hurt the RKBA.  

Thanks, but anyone who doesn't get it needs to be set straight. Especially if they are speaking from the podium of a 'respected' (cough cough) publication.

Especially one who has sold us out before.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Guys, he is entitled to his little opinion of us and the Zumbo situation.  This is in no way similar--or worth our time and effort.  Attacking him only makes us look like idiots.  Please don't--he has not hurt the RKBA.  

He was a cheerleader of the 94 AWB.

He is the enemy.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Do you say that because he doesn't know what it is.  I don't think he does.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

ZUMBOMANIA: David E. Petzal’s take on the Jim Zumbo fiasco
In case you just emerged from a coma and have not heard, the shooting world is agog over a blog posted by Jim Zumbo, former contributing editor at Outdoor Life, over the weekend of February 17. In it, Jim stated that any semiauto rifle with an AR or AK prefix was a terrorist rifle, had no place in hunting, and should be outlawed for that purpose. Then, courtesy of the Internet and all its blogs and chatrooms, the roof fell in.

The speed with which Zumbomania spread, the number of comments it drew, and the rabid nature of same were a revelation. Overnight, this thing became as big as Janet Jackson’s clothing failure or—dare I say it?—Britney Spears’ shaved head. Jim Zumbo is now as employable as the Unabomber, and Sarah Brady will no doubt adopt his comments to her own gun-control purposes.

For the last several days I’ve been visiting all manner of blogs and chatrooms, which has reminded me of when I used to deliver used clothing to the local mental hospital. I’ve tried to make some sense of it all, but because the waters are still full of blood and body parts continue to rain from the sky, I haven’t come up with any Great Truths. Lacking that, here are some Lesser Truths.

What Jim said was ill-considered. He’s entitled to his beliefs, but when a writer of his stature comes out against black guns, it sure as hell does not help our cause.

Even so, Jim made an immediate apology. He did not equivocate, or qualify, or make excuses. He acted like a gentleman and said he was wrong, and he was sorry. Apparently this is not enough anymore. We now live in the era of one strike and you're out.

For 40 years, Jim has been a spokesman and ambassador of good will for hunting. Through his tireless efforts as a teacher and lecturer on hunting and hunting skills, he has done more for the sport than any 250 of the yahoos who called for his blood.

Jim has paid dearly for what he said. He has lost his blog and his association with Remington. Cabela’s has suspended its sponsorship of his TV show; and Outdoor Life has accepted his offer to sever ties. To all the chatroom heroes who made him unemployable, I have a word of warning: You’ve been swinging a two-edged sword. A United States in which someone can be ruined for voicing an unpopular opinion is a dangerous place. Today it was Jim’s turn. Tomorrow it may be yours.

If Sarah Brady is smart—and she is very smart—she will comb through the same blogs and chatrooms I’ve been reading, excerpt some of the most vicious and foul-mouthed entries, print them up, and distribute them to Congress. Then it will be interesting to see how the men and women who wrote that stuff enjoy seeing their efforts being put to use by every anti-gunner in America.

Stay tuned.

February 22, 2007

Well thanks dave for giving that cunt brady an idea.
I still say they shot the wrong brady.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, but anyone who doesn't get it needs to be set straight. Especially if they are speaking from the podium of a 'respected' (cough cough) publication.

Especially one who has sold us out before.

I agree completely.  But to "set him straight," we need to respond directly and try explain why we are so upset.  He needs to understand that this about the Second Amendment, and Zumbo is obviously anti-gun.  I wouldn't support Sarah Brady if she started duck hunting, and I won't support some hunting writer who is equally anti-gun, just because he has made a career of his hunting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#37]
oh boy, here we go again
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is the enemy.

+12000

This guy is creating even more for the Bradys to quote and use.
How can one advocate "laying off" or excusing his remarks?
They are essentially the same IMHO as Zumbo and WILL be used by the antis.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is the enemy.

+12000

This guy is creating even more for the Bradys to quote and use.
How can one advocate "laying off" or excusing his remarks?
They are essentially the same IMHO as Zumbo and WILL be used by the antis.

yep.

he is deliberately stirring the sh*t.

Not surprising considering his track record.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is the enemy.

You know that because you read it on the internet, right?  

This is a completely different situation.  

Pull your head out of your butt.

Please.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#41]
source

Crossfire: The War Behind the Closed Doors of the NRA

June 1994

"Gun owners -- all gun owners -- pay a heavy price for having to defend the availability of these weapons,"  

"The American public -- and the gun-owning public; especially the gun-owning public -- would be better off without the hardcore military arms, which puts the average sportsman in a real dilemma"  

Petzal = our enemy.

He got away with it then. I like my guns too much to let it slide twice.

edit again: freinds, please click on the above link and read the article. It's Petzal's 1994 stance on the AWB. Don't quote it, however. Copyright laws and stuff.....

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#42]
A sample of one of the good repsonse over there:

The 2nd Amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting.It isn't mentioned, it wasn't the intention, period.

Now if hunters want to throw the rest of us under the bus in an effort to appease the anti-gunners in the ill-conceived notion that they won't come after your wooden stocked fancy rifles when they are finished with us, you do so at your peril.

If you work against us, we will work against you.If you would like to be one shooting/hunting community, we can do that too.

Posted by: Dave the Rave | February 22, 2007 at 08:29 PM

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#43]
My short reply to F&S:
David Petzal is completely missing the point of the disgust aimed at Jim Zumbo.  So Jim has made a living from hunting- we are supposed to support him even though he is anti-gun?  I don't think so.  I would not support Sarah Brady if she started duck hunting, because she is still Sarah Brady.  She is still the antithesis of the Second Amendment.  And Zumbo is no different.  Even in his apologies, he never got past the hunting use of the AR15.  He conveyed nothing to make us believe he has any understanding of the right to keep and bear arms.  Jim didn't just make one strike, he threw the game.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Letter sent to all on F&S mailing list:

Dear Sirs/Madams,

I have canceled my subscription to Field and Stream and ALL Time Warner owned publications.
Not once, but twice writers in your employ have taken the position that the Second Ammendment of the Constitution is somehow related to hunting and that banning so called "assault rifles" is an acceptable idea.

It is my strong belief that the Second Ammendment guarantees all of the other ammendments and that those who are willing to compromise this are not going to get one dollar of my money.

I will forward this along to every shooter and non shooter that I know.

I will encourage them to boycott all Time Warner publications and advertisers as long as these types of writers are in your employ.

I will write to every advertiser with the same message.

My Post on Petzal Blog:

Yet another Fudd who does not understand what the Second Ammendment is for!!!

Subscription canceled.

Guess you didn't learn one single thing from ZumboGate huh?

The Fudd shooters are going to destroy the 2nd Ammendment faster than Nancy Pelosi crossing the country in a 757!

The 2nd Ammendment is NOT there for hunting and wearing gay orange hats while blowing on a turkey call.

The 2nd Ammendment is the one that guarantees all the others.

Guess you are ready for retirement too?

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
source

Crossfire: The War Behind the Closed Doors of the NRA

June 1994

Snipped

Petzal = our enemy.

He got away with it then. I like my guns too much to let it slide twice.

I bet Petzal is going to regret opening up his mouth on this one... Bringing out a huge can of worms.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I said my piece.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
A sample of one of the good repsonse over there:

Posted by: Dave the Rave | February 22, 2007 at 08:29 PM

That was mine!

(see page one of this thread)

I called him a twatwaffle in my second one
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#48]
The Fudds on this blog say that we are in the monority and don't represent gun owners.

Some have said on that blog that we scream really loud and are an unruly bunch.

I am getting more and more steamed over all of this.

These "gun journalists" are doing nothing to protect their sport or ours.

What they are doing is giving the Bradys more and more material.

How long before the Bradys start holding up copies of Field and Stream in a Congressional Hearing and say "See it's right here in this Gun Magazine...there is no need for Assault Weapons! The Gun people agree!!!!"

Thats whats headed in our immediate future, wait and see.

Hers my response on Petzal Blog to being called loud and unruly...

Some idiot said that those of us who "screamed the loudest" or those who own AR's are in the minority.

That may be so, but thank God we do scream!!!!

I see the Fudds come out once a year to the range. However those who I know and shoot with that own AR's shoot on average at least twice a week.

We scream the loudest...yes. That's why you still have your bolt action and get to go hunt.

Because WE scream.

WE are the ones defending the 2nd, not the hunters.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#49]
My response:

Aren't you the same David E. Petzal who made the following quote in a 1994 Field & Stream article?

"Assault weapons are designed to put out a high volume of fire with a high degree of controllability. The only purpose these firearms have is to kill people."

You Fudds think that as long as you let the liberals in Congress have the "scary-looking black rifles", they will leave you alone. Wake up. The minute that they succeed in banning the AR-15, they will start calling your favorite .30-06 bolt-gun a "high-powered sniper rifle" and go after them next.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Email sent to Field and Stream
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top