BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't remember my Boot Camp platoon number until I went and looked it up in my "yearbook".   I don't remember any of those dates, mostly because when I got out, my contract was extended several times, so my original EAS date became meaningless...  There is one date that no Marine will ever forget, though, and you never even mentioned it...

Corps B-day?

Indeed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't remember my Boot Camp platoon number until I went and looked it up in my "yearbook".   I don't remember any of those dates, mostly because when I got out, my contract was extended several times, so my original EAS date became meaningless...  There is one date that no Marine will ever forget, though, and you never even mentioned it...

Corps B-day?

Indeed.

See...some of us Army guys do pay attention.  It helps that a couple of my closest co-workers are retired (former) Marines.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#3]
My 9th grade government teacher claimed to have been a Green Beret. On one of my projects in class I proved him wrong.

He had to ask me what the tube on the top of an AK-47 was for.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:11:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I think I remember my boot camp platoon number (2007?), I know I was in Fox Company, 2nd Battalion. I know I arrived at MCRD San Diego on March 10th, even though my DD214 says March, 9th (All of us guys from Texas were on a flight that got re-routed to LA because of severe fog over Sand Diego, so we got there a day after everyone else).

I’ve also gotten a couple of funny looks when I’ve mentioned that I was in the Corps for “just over 6 years.” I got hurt was on a medical hold at the end of my enlistment. I ended up serving 6 years and 28 days. I did get my second good cookie.

I wasn’t ever one of the “high-speed, low-drag” types, I was just an ammo tech (2311). I am proud to have spent most of my time with the grunts in 2/8, and locked on as part of the BLT with the 24th MEU. I’m also proud to have been a section leader, and then platoon sergeant for a short time, at the Lejeune ASP. I never got the chance to do as much as I wanted, but I’m proud of what I did. I’m also proud of (most of) the Marines (and sailors) I served with, and I still have some of those life long friends to this day.

I’ve come across a couple of people who claimed to have been in the Corps and if I doubt them, I just ask them what their swim qual was. It’s something that everyone has to do, and that info isn’t as popular with posers.

Speaking of posers, here is a link to a poser thread on GT…Thoughts on one of our resident "SEALs"

As far as I'm concerned, this guy is a POS. He really deserves a couple of REAL SEALs to pay him a little visit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump.  Don't want this one to die.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the biggest "posers" are the ones that brag a lot.
guy at work was Navy, attached to a sea control squadron. real "hard core" type of guy. Today I found that he was just a clerk/typest.

All the guys I know that did a "military" type MOS (Infantry, Tanker, aircraft mech, pilot, etc) don't act all hard core all the time. In fact I find these guys kinda laid back

When I am asked, I say, "yea, I was a Bradley Gunner in the 80's" and thats it unless they ask me more. If I find that the person is honestly intrested I'll be happy to share some of the memories. I damn sure am not all hard core about it.

The only thing I get all hard core about it talking about the Bradley gunnery stuff... man I loved that!

oh, ETA:

My roster number is basic was 303, A-1-1, 3rd Herd,  DI was a mean SOB named HICKS, and I still have my original Blue Cord just where I left it, on my Class "A"s when I got home. under plastic wrap.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I never did the US course, but the round 'chutes on the Dutch course were steerable. Well.. directionable, at any rate. The 'chute had a forward airspeed of about 4 m/s, so usually you would turn into the wind to reduce the speed at which you were going backwards when you landed...

NTM
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The MC-1's are better then T10-D which you jump in Airborne, 82nd etc. The first time i jumped the dash 1 everything I turned into the wind it turned me back around. It was our combat equipment  jump into Phase 2. I dropped my ruck but managed to land right on top of my SAW. I was in some pain for that week whenever I had to roll on that side of my body.  I jumped the dash 1 again a few weeks ago and it went alot better. Nice soft landing in the dirt out at Camp Mckall.  I am a little concerned about possibly having to jump into Robin Sage with a 100+lb ruck. The most I've done is probably about 70lbs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I never did the US course, but the round 'chutes on the Dutch course were steerable. Well.. directionable, at any rate. The 'chute had a forward airspeed of about 4 m/s, so usually you would turn into the wind to reduce the speed at which you were going backwards when you landed...

NTM

Man - if the Dutch and Danish used the same parachutes, that'll just add to the confusion!!  

Btw - I saw "Danish" cheese from Amsterdam at the grocery store today!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Here's a story from an old post of mine about a fake MOH recipient I met a few months ago.  Asshole.

I was standing guard duty today at my job at National Guard Headquarters in here in Florida when an SUV stopped on the street in front of me. The passenger got out and walked around the vehicle real slowly towards myself and the other NCO on duty.

"Gentlemen, I want to introduce myself" he started, kind of slowly.

I immediately got a little edgy. I could tell it was 'storytime', which I get whenever I am out and about in uniform. Normally it isn't a problem, but he couldn't just park his vehicle in the street and get out to talk, since it is a busy area of town, with high ranking officers all over the place watching us. This was an older guy, with a scruffy beard, wearing a belt buckle styled similar to a dress uniform belt, with the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor stamped on it.

He started to tell us about being a retired USMC Colonel who served in Vietnam, and God bless us for doing our duty, etc, etc. I know it makes people feel good to tell us this, but I am always uncomfortable hearing it since I have yet to serve overseas.

After this, it gets interesting. He tells us that he was a POW in Nam, and shows us a silver bracelet on his right wrist. I have seen similar ones to this before, but his didn't have anything printed on it at all. Then he said:

"And when I got back they gave me a blue and white ribbon for what I did". He mimed putting it around his neck as he said this. To me, this can only represent the Medal of Honor.

I glanced over at the driver of his vehicle, who was sort of smiling or grinning while the old man talked to us. As he told us his story, I began to doubt it, for the simple reason that I wouldn't expect an ACTUAL USMC Colonel/POW/MOH recipient to just stop in the middle of the street to tell some complete strangers about it, even if the strangers were military.

So, he shook our hands as he was preparing to get back in his vehicle, and I asked him his name, before we parted, with the intent of researching him later on. He told me his name was Murray Knurr - at least, that's what it sounded like to me, and he said it clearly. We thanked him once again and sent him on his way.

I googled a ton of USMC and MOH sites, and have yet to find anyone with a name remotely resembling that one on POW or MOH rosters. If someone here DOES find anything like that, I will absolutely retract my statements of doubt. But as it stands now, I think he is just an old liar.

If anyone finds anything relevant to this, let me know. I hate to cast a possible hero in such a bad light, but I just don't think he is telling the truth.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
C.co 2/502nd Inf here.  Ets 93.  Salute!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Still carry my 101st Abn coin, but coins are easy to order online nowhr

OOPS, should have quoted you.  Had to do it again.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#14]
We have a young man, well probably about 26, who comes into the gunstore about once a week usually wearing a BUD/S shirt of some kind. The one I saw the other day was about a tiger tavern, or something. Anyway, I talked to him one day about weapons used by SF. He said he was in BUD/S, had his orders to SEAL team 5, and was diagnosed with athsma during rebreathing training. He had to quit, and take a medical discharge. He never claimed to be a SEAL. So, just for curiosity sake, I think I might ask him for his class number. What do the numbers usually look like for a BUDS class? I honestly think he is telling the truth, Im just more curious than anything.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:37:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Would anyone who served in 5th Group in the 1980-2000 era please contact me via IM?  I have a guy that I am 99% sure is a poser who is semi-threatening me for telling people I think he's FOS.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:59:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Y'know... all this outing posers by grilling them re. numbers, dates, patches etc could be solved more easily with... a secret handshake
Each branch of the forces could have their own secret handshake jimmy-jive thing...
Kinda like masons or black dudes...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
We have a young man, well probably about 26, who comes into the gunstore about once a week usually wearing a BUD/S shirt of some kind. The one I saw the other day was about a tiger tavern, or something. Anyway, I talked to him one day about weapons used by SF. He said he was in BUD/S, had his orders to SEAL team 5, and was diagnosed with athsma during rebreathing training. He had to quit, and take a medical discharge. He never claimed to be a SEAL. So, just for curiosity sake, I think I might ask him for his class number. What do the numbers usually look like for a BUDS class? I honestly think he is telling the truth, Im just more curious than anything.

BUD/S Class "Hellweek" shirts are made by the class, and generally include the class number, though there have been some that don't.  They are generally made by Bullshirts in Coronado, who will not sell them to people outside the class.  

To answer your question, class numbers are 1 to 3 digit numbers. No letters, or dashes, or slashes.  Unless they are old school, which were designated by east or west.  They only run about 5 classes or so each year, so given his age, I would guess somewhere in the mid 200's.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I got the MEDAL OF ON HER too for rapid deployment of all available heavy equiptment

and laying down a heavy field of fire in the bush just north of the little canyon.

I pulled out just in time from that sweaty battle just before the largest artililary round was

fired.  I nearly lost many a battle in that bed, I mean in that hot zone, but I shall live

to fight another day.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#20]
"No shit, there I was........."
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#21]
When DS1 happened, and the military once again became socially acceptable, bogus Vietnam Vets seemingly came out of the woodwork.  I listened to so many "I was in The Nam" wannabes I often thought that if they had really been there the place would have been so crowded there wouldn't have been room for the VC or NVA and we could have won by default.

I usually just keep my mouth shut but sometimes I questioned them just enough for them to know I was wise to their little fiction.

Navy Seabees, Camp Shields, Chu Lai RVN 67-68 (incl Tet Offensive) and Camp Campbell, Phu Bai RVN 68-69.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#22]
My Aunt married this guy who claims he was a SEAL in Vietnam. My dad calls BS since he was six years younger then my dad, who was in the 11th Marines 69-70 as a FO. How do I find out if my new uncle is credible? BTW this guy is well over 300 pounds and really out of shape.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My Aunt married this guy who claims he was a SEAL in Vietnam. My dad calls BS since he was six years younger then my dad, who was in the 11th Marines 69-70 as a FO. How do I find out if my new uncle is credible? BTW this guy is well over 300 pounds and really out of shape.

sec-global.com/services/ctp/vsg/list.html
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#24]
What I do just email these guys?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:21:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What I do just email these guys?

Just follow the list they give.

They'll take care of the rest.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
"No shit, there I was........."

"...knee deep in grenade pins..."
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its easy to spot an Airborne poser.
Coin check him (though this is not as effective as it used to be due to the spread of the 'challenge' coin). Ask him the nomenclature of a weapons case, ask him the nomenclature of the chutes he jumped. No poser I have ever met has been able to answer these questions, and regretably Ive met quite a few.
formerly 2ndOPDET/B Co/8th POB/4th POG

I was an 18E on an SF team and I don't know the nomenclature of the weapons case..... I think the 'chute was an MC-1 C or B.... who cares.

i know how you feel, although i wasnst as high speed as you were FROST18E, i was at 2nd RGR bat and i cant for the life of me figure out the nomenclature of the weapons case, but i do know the the chutes  T10 B and i think the T10 C, because i hit the ground like a sack of rock every damn time!!

When were you in 2nd Bn? I was in B Co in '85.  And no, I don't have my challenge coin. I've lost so many of those damn things it's easier to do pushups or buy beer if I'm challenged.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#28]
so for all you jar heads what do you find when you get to heaven?
i was but a lowly squid who road a wooden boat.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I shake my head every time I hear of a Challenge Coin.
I was never issued one in my entire career.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I've always had to buy my own coin from any of the units I have been in.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:57:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell I'm so old I don't know WTF they are.

I know what you mean Tj.  After I shipped over and went to C-School, my NEC became 0434 and that's been gone so long it won't even Goggle.

ETA:...and my original REAL Service Number is a total dud .
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:16:02 AM EDT
[#34]
They need to think up a new medal for this person. Jessica Lynch! Man was she honest and true. She could have got a silver star, maybe better if she would have STFU. But noooo...she had to tell the truth and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was just scared with a jammed rifle. God Bless her for telling the TRUE story of those in her unit who fought hard and died. At least the parents of those guys get to cry tears of pride over their son's graves. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the anonimity of the unrecognized hero.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I've got a guy who works with me now.....

We're both E-5's, but he's got such a better presentation of his Navy career.  He was in Bahrain before he came here, and I guess he worked with some "special forces-type-of base patrol.  Well, he said that he had his nametapes were written in English, with them written in Arabic as well, sewn on above the English tapes.  I instantly threw the BS flag, but after talking to my best friend who is stationed over there right now, she said that indeed there are a couple of these security units that actually do this, to help the local Hajis identify who each American is a bit better or something.  Anyway, fine and dandy.  However, he went around telling a couple of lies that that weren't BS flags, they were friggin' signal flares.

1.)  He can't wear all of the medals that he has earned ebcause some of them are clasified.  What?

2.)  He has 3 confirmed kills listed in his service record from his time in Bahrain.  Huh?  Who the hell did you kill over there?  Why didn't we hear about this shit on the news?  Did you watch "Rules of Engagement" a few too many times?

So now every time he gets mad at someone, we start calling him "CK4", because he's about to have another confirmed kill added to his service record.  I just don't get why people do this kind of thing, ESPECIALLY when they are still in the service.

Oh, and back when I was stationed in Puerto Rico, we got this new check-in who swore he was a SEAL, but they were all full over at the compound (NSWU-4) so he had to work with us.  First off, he aw wearing dungarees.  I have never seen a SEAL wear dungarees.  They don't even make the Trident on a dungaree patch.

Oh, and I always carry a challenge coin with me.  It always seems to "fall out" of my wallet when people run their mouths a bit too much at the bars.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Really?  Who'd you piss off?  I was only awarded ffour individually and one as a unit in the military.  I've gotten some others working for/with LEO agencies, but most of those were purchased to commemorate joint operations.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I love challenge coins... but sadly, I only have two.

I have one that I was awarded Soldier of the Cycle in Basic Training, and another one that I was awarded for Soldier of the year in 2001. That coin is friggin' huge. It's bigger than my hand.

I don't claim to be anyone special, I just do my job. 88M10.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:07:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Boost I was periodically at the CJFSOCC HQ in the Gulf area, and it was NOT in Bahrain. There was a Navy logistics support unit there. This was in late 2001-2002. Im not aware of any combat operations in that area.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top