Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess it's a complicated question, but it depends on the context.  

Whats it like for a Predator "pilot" to kill a guy.  get authorization, push the button.

What it like for a SOCOM guy to kill a guy a contact range?  Maybe a little more traumatic, maybe not.   Depends on the guy.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have never been asked what it is like to kill someone, though I have been asked if I have killed someone.  She was cute and it was a first date so I went easy on her and told her that is not a question you should ask.  
That's the same thing I tell people,"that isn't something you ask".
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
If it was a close friend I would tell them, anyone else I would just walk away.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I know a guy that responds to that question, as a university student, with, "Don't worry, none of them were white people."

Its a conversation ender.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I just say I don't know because other people in my unit were shooting at the same person or same area

I always feel uncomfortable when asked. It's a stupid fucking question, at least when an adult asks. A kid doesn't really know better.

That's pretty much the same answer I give.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I know a guy that responds to that question, as a university student, with, "Don't worry, none of them were white people."

I'm sure that's a head-exploder.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm strangely comfortable with it.

I think society conditions people to think the "I dont want to talk about it" is the correct response, as seen in this thread.

I have for sure, me only, killed a couple of people and never been bothered by it. Only happy I performed well when I needed to.

But you cant go around saying that or average joes and the book On Killing say you are a psychopath.

When I first got back from Iraq, I guess I wasnt thinking and happily talked with enthusiasm about the time I blew up a suicide van with an AT4 and how it was a great time. (among other stories) I got really bad reactions from people I would not have expected them from.

So I generally stopped telling people war stories, not because I dont like to, but because it elicits a bad reaction.

Suicide van?  Was it explosive cuz that would be a great show.  Hit it with AT4 and BIG boom.  

Thank you for killing the enemy!
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's brilliant.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I would love to see the look on the face of the questioner!

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I read "On Killing" and thought it was crap personally.  

I doubt I will ever fire a round in anger in the Mil.  I am more likely to than most Air Force personnel, but the chances are still pretty low.

I have had one on duty shooting in the civilian world and it did not phase me.  The retardation I had to deal with after the shooting bothered me more.  I can honestly say I hope to never have to do it again, but will if the situation calls for it.  

I was about to include On Killing in my military book spending spree with amazon (One of the essays in Rethinking the principles of war mentioned a few authors and said if they hadn't written it, it probably wasn't worth writing. So I went shopping ). When I went to the On Killing page it also recommended Stop teaching our kids to kill which he co-authored. As someone whose biggest childhood highlight was finally getting the parents to relent on a purchase of N64 and Goldeneye, the author can fuck right off.

Besides, The Landmark Thucydides will take me a few months to break down

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]
My dad was a bomber pilot in WWII.  He pretty much never talked about it.  He would say little things occasionally about his time in the Army Air Corps like having to brush everything leather to keep the mold off.  He said it was some of the best years of his life.  (The guys he was with and teamwork.)  He really loved the B29 and B17's.

I do think he thought about what happened on the ground.  He never said a word.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top