Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I would rather go 10mm.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I love these threads...

People claiming .40 gives up ammo capacity, are the same ones wanting a single stack 9mm,,, pure comedy
View Quote
I know....

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
oh yes... a quarter century of hate about to commence on arfcom.. so in...
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like my 9mm G26, but my G27 smacks the shit out of falling plates with a noticebaly louder "clang".
I like both, so I got both.
View Quote

27 is a fun little fucker..
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The truly funny thing about this is that back in the day of old Single Action wheel guns, and the .357 magnum was a new kid on the block, the formula for a good fighting handgun was an approximately .40 caliber bullet pushing a 200 grain slug at about 1000 feet per second, which is nearly identical to the old .38-40 load that was common used in the Colt Single Action Army and Winchester rifles.  The old .38-40 was actually a .40 caliber round.

The .40 gets pretty close to that…180 grain bullet at roughly 1000 FPS…imagine that's why it was, still is, and will be a good, effective round.

I got my .40 when JHP technology was simply to what it is today…and I still like it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I am just a layman and for the life of me I have never really understood why the 10mm didn't stay and why the .40 S&W was necessary.

I mean if someone can fire a .40 S&W they can fire a 10mm IMHO.

Oh well, I ain't a LEO or military.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been carrying .40 S&W as a CCW since I turned 21. Been carrying .40 S&W on duty for 9 years straight as a cop. I don't see myself changing anytime soon. The .40 S&W is an excellent cartridge for barrier penetration. In a Glock 22 I get 15rds per magazine. I get better performance than a 9mm in a platform the same exact size as a 9mm pistol.

Why the hell would I switch to a weaker round? The recoil isn't harsh, the cartridge isn't weak, amd the capacity isn't reduced.

It is fucking PERFECT.

Serious question..........on your job you wouldn't rather have a 10mm?

Yes and No.... I would like to have the option but more than likely I'd still carry the .40 S&W. It would depend on what I'm doing. If it was 100% Highway Patrol work. 10mm Auto would be fine.

I am just a layman and for the life of me I have never really understood why the 10mm didn't stay and why the .40 S&W was necessary.

I mean if someone can fire a .40 S&W they can fire a 10mm IMHO.

Oh well, I ain't a LEO or military.

The 10MM would have worked if they stuck with heavier all-steel guns.  Once things went light-weight and polymer, the 10MM just became too much of a handful for the polygrip and vagasil shooters.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#7]
The 10mm isn't a handful for me in the Glock 20 and 29 but it sure as hell is a whooper and not suitable for a service pistol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

.45 ACP is known to occasionally fail to penetrate a windshield (it follows the surface instead).

I think it's more like:

.30 M1 = .45 ACP

.223 Rem = 9mm Luger

6.8 SPC = .40 S&W
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.223 Rem = 9mm Luger

6.8mm SPC = .40 S&W

.308 Win = .45 ACP

.45 ACP is known to occasionally fail to penetrate a windshield (it follows the surface instead).

I think it's more like:

.30 M1 = .45 ACP

.223 Rem = 9mm Luger

6.8 SPC = .40 S&W

You miss the point:

.223/9mm = cheap and practical.

.45/.308 = classic and manly.

.40/6.8mm = modern compromise cartridge, arguably the best of everything.

Plus the fact that each share a similar case head diameters.

The .40 and 6.8mm in particular are derived of the same parent cartrdge.

The .40/6.8mm are both more power cartridges designed to fit with in the 9mm/.223 platforms respectively.

The vintage .45/.308 require larger platforms (magazines).
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You miss the point:

The .40/6.8mm are both more power cartridges designed to fit with in the 9mm/.223 platforms respectively.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.223 Rem = 9mm Luger

6.8mm SPC = .40 S&W

.308 Win = .45 ACP

I think it's more like:

.30 M1 = .45 ACP

.223 Rem = 9mm Luger

6.8 SPC = .40 S&W

You miss the point:

Interesting analogy... I consider it like this...

.45/.30-06 - Outdated and needs huge receivers to chamber the cartridge.

9mm/.308 - Better than what it replaced but also outdated. Both are stil in service because the bean counters are cheap and lazy.

.40/5.56 - Modern, does the job well and is a perfect balance on power and capacity.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
It's my recollection that the .40 came into being not because the 10mm was beating shooters to death, but because it was beating  the pistols to death.  The FBI downloaded their 10's to protect the Colts, somebody noticed that you could get the same performance with a shorter cartridge et viola!  .40 S&W.

Assuming one or two things-- those being that you are large enough and strong enough to control the recoil, there is no case in which the 9 as a single bullet outperforms the .40 with a comparable bullet.  Okay, the 9 expands blah blah.  So does the .40, but it starts out bigger.  Same same .45.

When the .40 first came out, I was carrying .45's or .44's  I did the math.  It seemed like a viable compromise between capacity and power.  I'd give up the latter for more of the former.  

Would I carry a 9 back then.  Fuck no!  Despite all of the hoopla, my coincidence meter  just can't get past the fact that the 9's were considered effete Eurotrash guns right up until the US military adopted the 92, at which point they magically and instantly became "teh bestest boolitz in teh wurld!"  Oddly, they were still pushing a .355 bullet only a little faster than the old .38's that were universally looked down upon as antiques.

Of course, back then, we were still under the misapprehension that pistols were more than "a thing you use to get to the rifle you never should have put down."  Back when the average number of shots fired in a personal confrontation was something like 2.3 rather than the 20-30 they are today.

You can skirt almost any law there is, right up until you get to physics.  That law is pretty well set.  mass and etc, y'know?  bigger, wider, faster.  Any adjustment in one requires one or both of the others to step up its game.  
In the end, it's all up to the shooter.  If you're going to carry a piece, carry the biggest one that you can readily carry (because leaving the cannon at home isn't as good as bringing a slingshot with you.) and the largest caliber that you can reliably shoot accurately.  A pistol you don't have with you is worthless, and one you can't hit with even moreso.  

OTOH, at the end of the day, the difference between 15+1 and 17+1 is negligible if you're actually hitting what you're aiming at.  If whatever you're shooting hasn't gone down for keeps by 15, you're probably dealing with something that's going to take multiple mag dumps or a rifle or shotgun.

Can't shoot a .45, or can't carry one with a large enough capacity to suit you?  Carry a .40.  Can't shoot a .40 because of the horrible () recoil, carry a 9.  Can't carry a 9 because.... uhm... reasons, carry a .32 or .380.  Hell, carry a .22lr if that's all you can handle/carry comfortably.

There was a time when the death knell was sounded for the .44spl, the .32acp, and even the .380.  All of them are still relatively common.  I can even still get .38-40 if I really want to.  (ballistically almost identical to .40 S&W in the same way that the old .36 is nearly 9mm)  

Getting back to the original topic, the .40S&W ain't going nowhere, nor is the 9 until the U.S. military adopts a different pistol cartridge, at which point I expect that the 9 will lose favor and this new one, whatever it may be, will becom AWESOMESAUCE! and acquire the same magical properties that 9 now enjoys.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#11]
9mm fans are 9mm because they're cheap and lazy. They work under the impression that "if TSHTF, I can get 9mm off dead bodies!" and the ever classic "i cam find it in any store across America!"
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The 10mm isn't a handful for me in the Glock 20 and 29 but it sure as hell is a whooper and not suitable for a service pistol.
View Quote

Blasphemy I tell you............BLASPHEMY!!

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can easily shoot it but I know I number of folks that can't. I love that Underwood ammo. My wife not so much... in the Glock... but in a S&W 610... it brings her smiles.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can easily shoot it but I know I number of folks that can't. I love that Underwood ammo. My wife not so much... in the Glock... but in a S&W 610... it brings her smiles.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gotta admit the 10mm frame is pretty big.

But the power............god damn, it just gives me a stiffy!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

9mm > 40 short and weak
View Quote
Explain to me, including the physics, in DETAIL, how the 9mm, firing a significantly smaller, lighter bullet, that carries LESS kinetic energy, is somehow BETTER than the larger and more powerful 40 cal round?

Using YOUR logic, or what passes for YOUR logic, every law enforcement agency in the world SHOULD be using the 25ACP. Because it fires a smaller, less powerful bullet, than just about any other modern handgun round.

Now, go agead with your explanation. I really do want to hear what you have to say. And, at no time are you allowed to ignore the law of physics. I am assuming you took High School Physics. If you didn't, well, that explains a lot.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Explain to me, including the physics, in DETAIL, how the 9mm, firing a significantly smaller, lighter bullet, that carries LESS kinetic energy, is somehow BETTER than the larger and more powerful 40 cal round?

Using YOUR logic, or what passes for YOUR logic, every law enforcement agency in the world SHOULD be using the 25ACP. Because it fires a smaller, less powerful bullet, than just about any other modern handgun round.

Now, go agead with your explanation. I really do want to hear what you have to say. And, at no time are you allowed to ignore the law of physics. I am assuming you took High School Physics. If you didn't, well, that explains a lot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
9mm > 40 short and weak

Hollow points..............why do you hate 9mm?

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
9mm fans are 9mm because they're cheap and lazy. They work under the impression that "if TSHTF, I can get 9mm off dead bodies!" and the ever classic "i cam find it in any store across America!"
View Quote

This.
Working at a gun store taught me your average shooter won't spend money on ammo or a good holster and very rarely even shoot their guns.
Larger caliber guns are scary, so they pick the 9 and shoot ball ammo.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Why do people post this ancient lame-ass image.  There are 9mm 147g loads that go much faster, same for .40 and .45

All decisions should be made from one shot, in one block of gel from 15 years ago.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why do people post this ancient lame-ass image.  There are 9mm 147g loads that go much faster, same for .40 and .45

All decisions should be made from one shot, in one block of gel from 15 years ago.

http://pprnnews.prepperpodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/zemanta/JHP.png
View Quote

Why did you leave out the 10mm?

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
This.

Working at a gun store taught me your average shooter won't spend money on ammo or a good holster and very rarely even shoot their guns.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

.40 S&W is the cartridge of professionals. There is a reason why Delta or CAG, or whatever he hell they call themselves this week are using Glock 22s. Same with USCG and LE across the board. When folks have to rely on their for a living they'll want to best.

The FBI is like Big Army... they'll never admit they have training issues so they'll claim it is an equipment issue. FBI right now isn't hiring cops but PC accountants and lawyers.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I never had any use for a .40 S&W till I bought a CZ P07 in .40 S&W.  Anything that shoot groups like that has to be carried and shot.  Makes my Glock & S&W M&Ps look like cheap pieces of crap.  

So now I reload/shoot/carry a .40 S&W.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top