Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2018 9:22:28 PM EDT
is a Geissele SSF trigger compatible with a ramped BCM 9mm upper?

ive read some posts that say it is and some say its not

also if i buy a colt upper is the BCM ramped?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
is a Geissele SSF trigger compatible with a ramped BCM 9mm upper?

ive read some posts that say it is and some say its not

also if i buy a colt upper is the BCM ramped?
View Quote
What is BCM?
I think Bravo Company Manufacturing when I see BCM.

Did you mean BCG? Bolt Carrier Group?
If you meant the latter, then technically Colt pattern 9mm's aren't carriers.  They are a one piece bolt....and the SSF will work.

However, if you haven't purchased an upper yet, I'd strongly recommend you look into the CMMG Guard's radially delayed blowback.  Way smoother than any blowback 9mm upper.  This design uses a BCG like 556 and the carrier has a FA profile.

It's smoother recoil impulse isn't hard on your lower like a Colt blowback upper 'can' be.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#2]
yes i meant BCG...and i will look into the CMMG..thanks!
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
ive contacted cmmg as their upper for $679 doesnt say its GTG with a m16 lower...they say they are meant for THEIR lowers and cannot guarantee function with others lowers

i will agree its a much smarter system and something i had not heard of before...thank you very much for bringing it to my attention
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ive contacted cmmg as their upper for $679 doesnt say its GTG with a m16 lower...they say they are meant for THEIR lowers and cannot guarantee function with others lowers

i will agree its a much smarter system and something i had not heard of before...thank you very much for bringing it to my attention
View Quote
I'm running the Guard in full auto now in TWO different configurations:
1. RDIAS and their lower (Glock mags)
2. unmodified Colt mags.  Registered Receiver, or RDIAS or Post Sample etc...

I have details of doing the Colt mags here: http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=597
Video of it running in full auto here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmAdCXDTUgc

Several links for you to check out regarding the Guard.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Which-9mm-pcc-Macon-CMMG-FM-ect/15-730602/

Lastly, you may not of heard of the new Mean arms Endomag where you use a Gen2 / 3 Pmag and use their insert so no magwell needed.
They just started shipping on Friday.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Anyone-seen-this-MEAN-Arms-9mm-adpater-/15-728601/&page=6

The link below is from Mean and they specifically discuss the Guard system and also do a little live fire with it.  The Guard uses the ejector in the bolt (like 556) so you would need to add in the order notes that you plan on ordering the Mean Endomag for the Guard and they would remove the ejector from the magazine insert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToGm1ToNOR4

I have several of the Endomags on order and if they work well, I plan on using them instead of Glock or Colt mags.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oh and regarding full auto and buffer/spring selection, I did a lot of testing and info on that is here: http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=538
You can see in the picture below the full auto RoF from my Pact MKIV timer.

Link Posted: 9/30/2018 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm1fcrGn5VU

im ordering a guard upper

any idea on the ROF?
use standard carbine buffer?
those weights? are they worth getting? i do plan on shooting suppressed
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn maybe I’ll sell my current 9mm setup for the guard
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm1fcrGn5VU

im ordering a guard upper

any idea on the ROF?
use standard carbine buffer?
those weights? are they worth getting? i do plan on shooting suppressed
View Quote
Did you look at my link above?   I tested several different buffers and show RoF results. I tested suppressed as well and saw negligible differences suppressed so didn't bother post results.

CMMG recommends to use a standard carbine buffer and 308 spring.  That will work but it will be very fast.  Most people are not running full auto.  
I prefer a slow cyclic rate but it must be smooth as well.  Sometimes when you go too slow it can be bouncy.

I'm going to pull the weight out of my carrier as I think it is more bouncy but then it goes faster.  It will come down to your buffer/spring selection, what is reliable and what you prefer.

I already posted the buffer, buffer tube, spring and RoF results in my link above of what I like.

I ran mine suppressed at a SMG match last weekend...my cell phone magnified quiet sounds and the suppressor sounds a lot louder than it is in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1xytZoYemk
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
cmmg wrote back...they cannot guarantee the 9mm guard banchee will work on a m16...so i roll the dice on $700...i was going to get a custom color--not a good idea if i have to resell

they would guarantee their standard 9mm upper though (non guard)
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
cmmg wrote back...they cannot guarantee the 9mm guard banchee will work on a m16...so i roll the dice on $700...i was going to get a custom color--not a good idea if i have to resell

View Quote
Please update on this.  I was also thinking that the 5" 9mm Guard upper would be more fun than a 8" 9mm Guard.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
That doesn't make any sense.
CMMG had a full auto 9mm and 45 Guard at Shot Show that they let people shoot on media day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO9thhqJ72w

Mine works also so...whatever...
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Technical Support
1:22 PM (4 hours ago)
to me
Dave,

I can’t guarantee function with the 9mm BANSHEE upper, as it uses the Radial Delayed Blowback system.  The Mk9 upper you referred to previously is our traditional PCC style bolt, and it should work just fine (from what I was able to see and what I was reading on the EndoMag) with that lower and the Endomag.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That doesn't make any sense.
CMMG had a full auto 9mm and 45 Guard at Shot Show that they let people shoot on media day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO9thhqJ72w

Mine works also so...whatever...
View Quote
the one they show at the shotshow has their lower...not a m16 lower....i do not see anywhere where they say THIS WILL WORK ON A M16 lower

Im probably going to hold off and watch for other you tube video's before i buy one. with the new Endomags i gotta think this will be a popular upper/option
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
the one they show at the shotshow has their lower...not a m16 lower....i do not see anywhere where they say THIS WILL WORK ON A M16 lower
View Quote
Yeah..they are just covering their butts.
We already know it works with a RDIAS and their lower.
Myself and others are already running it fine with M16 lowers with 9mm Colt mags.
If the Endomags work, it will be even simpler.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#14]
FWIW, my setup is all original Colt except for the Geissele SSF, a bolt ramped by M60Joe, and Hahn from the bottom mag block, it runs just fine on full-auto.  On semi-auto once in a while it doesn't reset so it'll double fire or even triple fire, that's not a legal issue for me since it's a registered machine gun.  I read M60Joe doesn't gunsmith any longer.  I shoot only 115gr FMJ to keep the wear and tear down.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I get that the 8" upper can be run.  Has anyone used the 5" upper in full auto?

Scott
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 6:39:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I get that the 8" upper can be run.  Has anyone used the 5" upper in full auto?

Scott
View Quote
'Badkarmaii' on the link below is using running 5.75" barrel cut down from the 8" in full auto and suppressed with Colt mags.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/9mm-Guard-Barrel-and-BCG-working-with-Colt-mags/145-286362/?page=1
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#17]
when someone posts with  a m16 that they bought the guard and did nothing to it besides push the 2 pins in and it worked ill buy one...i have yet to see a post with a m16 lower who was able to do that

with the endomags i assume more and more will try it...i dont want to be #1 to try
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We do not recommend usage of our SSF with 9mm builds as the blowback systems used tend to be exceptionally violent and will cause premature accelerated wear and possible breakages.  The variance in BCG ramping does also present potential for function related issues as well.

While we have not really done any significant testing with 9mm builds, as the trigger is intended for mil-spec DI 5.56 M4/M16's, feedback from those who have given it a go with PCC set ups has been enough so far that it is hit or miss in them functionally, in addition to the increased wear and tear.

- GAC
View Quote
Thanks for chiming in!!
I totally agree and don't run 9mm straight blowback configurations any more.
In case, you haven't seen it, pictured below is the CMMG BCG...which is 'radially delayed'....way smoother than any straight blowback 9mm upper.
Same geometry at the bottom of the carrier as a standard 556 carrier.
I'm using an SSF in mine.  Thanks for making a great product!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#20]
thanks for chiming in....i love my SSF trigger....makes burst worthless as i can pick 1,2,3 rounds at will due to your great trigger
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I asked about using the Guard and a Reg Receiver when they came out and got no response. I am glad to see it working. The mag block was the last hurdle and I didn't want to mess around with it so these new mags could be a game changer for me. Thanks for the reports amphibian.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
when someone posts with  a m16 that they bought the guard and did nothing to it besides push the 2 pins in and it worked ill buy one...i have yet to see a post with a m16 lower who was able to do that

with the endomags i assume more and more will try it...i dont want to be #1 to try
View Quote
Looks like my Endomags are supposed to be delivered on Thursday so may have an answer for you soon....or I'm sure someone else will if I don't.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looks like my Endomags are supposed to be delivered on Thursday so may have an answer for you soon....or I'm sure someone else will if I don't.
View Quote
My Banshee has shipped and I’m waiting on my endo mags.   I’m definitely gonna put it on my RR.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for chiming in!!
I totally agree and don't run 9mm straight blowback configurations any more.
In case, you haven't seen it, pictured below is the CMMG BCG...which is 'radially delayed'....way smoother than any straight blowback 9mm upper.
Same geometry at the bottom of the carrier as a standard 556 carrier.
I'm using an SSF in mine.  Thanks for making a great product!!
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/IMG_20171112_150527066.jpg
View Quote
I was wondering, Have you thought of reducing the fake gas key to one bolt like the Surefire carrier to get more stroke?  I wonder if that would add to smoothness.  More stroke would need lower mass in the buffer.  What do you think?

Scott
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was wondering, Have you thought of reducing the fake gas key to one bolt like the Surefire carrier to get more stroke?  I wonder if that would add to smoothness.  More stroke would need lower mass in the buffer.  What do you think?

Scott
View Quote
Yeah, I have thought about that but if I did that I would have to go to a shorter buffer and another custom spacer.  I really want to have my buffer tube, buffer and spring static to work with all my configurations.  However, I know I already have to deviate for some configurations.  Shrike needs 308 spring and shorty 7.62x39 needs A5H2 buffer for dead blow effect to push through those rough steel AK mags.

I had already tried the 556 Enidine and 556 Kynshot.  They were both not as smooth as the 9mm Blitzkrieg/Kynshot (A5 length buffer).  They are both noticeably stiffer to compress.  So wondering if they are not as smooth since maybe they are bottoming out on my shoulder and that additional stiffness is felt when slamming to the rear.

If you look at the PCC competition shooter setups, a lot of them run really strong springs (like CMMG recommending the 308 spring).  That should help prevent bottoming out or at least minimize it but as we know then the RoF is going to be increased.  As seen in this other thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Ferfrans-Bolt-Carrier/23-493014/
I've ordered a Ferfrans BCG and want to see how well it works with my 556 setups although I'm already in the 600's in those setups.  Depending on how well it works, I'm thinking about having a Guard carrier modified to accept the Ferfrans reciprocating weight/trip.  So if I go to a 308 spring the RoF can drop back down.
I also mentioned in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Thoughts-on-the-CMMG-Guard-/15-713060/&page=12 that I competed in my first match with the Guard and used the heaviest weight in the carrier and had a few malfunctions.  I think I need to remove it like you did....but also thinking going to a reciprocating weight may be too heavy...
Before doing any of that though, I'm going to try the Guard with the 308 Tubb flat spring to see if it even functions with the A5 tube and 9mm Blitzkrieg/Kynshot with and without carrier weight.  Did you happen to already try that configuration?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah, I have thought about that but if I did that I would have to go to a shorter buffer and another custom spacer.  I really want to have my buffer tube, buffer and spring static to work with all my configurations.  However, I know I already have to deviate for some configurations.  Shrike needs 308 spring and shorty 7.62x39 needs A5H2 buffer for dead blow effect to push through those rough steel AK mags.

I had already tried the 556 Enidine and 556 Kynshot.  They were both not as smooth as the 9mm Blitzkrieg/Kynshot (A5 length buffer).  They are both noticeably stiffer to compress.  So wondering if they are not as smooth since maybe they are bottoming out on my shoulder and that additional stiffness is felt when slamming to the rear.

If you look at the PCC competition shooter setups, a lot of them run really strong springs (like CMMG recommending the 308 spring).  That should help prevent bottoming out or at least minimize it but as we know then the RoF is going to be increased.  As seen in this other thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Ferfrans-Bolt-Carrier/23-493014/
I've ordered a Ferfrans BCG and want to see how well it works with my 556 setups although I'm already in the 600's in those setups.  Depending on how well it works, I'm thinking about having a Guard carrier modified to accept the Ferfrans reciprocating weight/trip.  So if I go to a 308 spring the RoF can drop back down.
I also mentioned in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Thoughts-on-the-CMMG-Guard-/15-713060/&page=12 that I competed in my first match with the Guard and used the heaviest weight in the carrier and had a few malfunctions.  I think I need to remove it like you did....but also thinking going to a reciprocating weight may be too heavy...
Before doing any of that though, I'm going to try the Guard with the 308 Tubb flat spring to see if it even functions with the A5 tube and 9mm Blitzkrieg/Kynshot with and without carrier weight.  Did you happen to already try that configuration?
View Quote
I have a .45 ACP 8" upper that I feeding with a MGI lower using a GG magwell.  I filled the mag catch to lower the mag to clear the bolt.  I have not played with it much.  I have another project that has taken most all of my firearm time.  I just ordered a 9mm 5" that I will use with my project.  I checked with CMMG.  Basically what I got was the angle is the same on bolt for the 8" and 5" uppers.  I'm thinking that the shorter dwell time of the 5" barrel will make for lower energy in the bolt group.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I know it isn't helpfull, it may work it may not.. it probably will, if not mess with it until it does or swap out FCG.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here you go....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaGtM2NT38

I posted some more details about the new Endomags here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Anyone-seen-this-MEAN-Arms-9mm-adpater-/15-728601/&page=8
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Is the length of the guards BCG the same as a standard 5.56 BCG or is it shorter like the length of a AR/9mm bolt?

Interested to know this because of the possible extra strain put on the bolt catch after the last round.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 5:05:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is the length of the guards BCG the same as a standard 5.56 BCG or is it shorter like the length of a AR/9mm bolt?

Interested to know this because of the possible extra strain put on the bolt catch after the last round.
View Quote
Same as 556..no extra strain on bolt catch
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top