Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2018 6:13:57 AM EDT
I have only shot standard triggers in my m16.

but I am thinking about the SSF.

thoughts? Ideas? Input?
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 geissele trigger and they are worth every penny. You’ll never want to shoot a stock trigger again
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Got one, don’t think they are worth the money.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two and think they are worth it.  I also think it depends on what kind of shooting you are doing.  If you are just dumping mags then don't bother.  If like to switch to semi for precision and have an easier time pulling single round bursts in FA then the SSF is where its at.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:45:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 2 geissele trigger and they are worth every penny. You'll never want to shoot a stock trigger again
View Quote
You have two, in two M16s?

i am only talking about select fire here
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have two and think they are worth it.  I also think it depends on what kind of shooting you are doing.  If you are just dumping mags then don't bother.  If like to switch to semi for precision and have an easier time pulling single round bursts in FA then the SSF is where its at.
View Quote
I oddly do burst, burst, dumps a lot.

i have a few SSA/SSA-Es but think it might me nice to treat myself. I mean the colt gos the range EVERY time...

I guess I am looking for a reason not to get one..
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes worth it

if you want a 3 round burst you can easily do it with the SSF.

good investment in a $20-35k gun
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#7]
yes, very high quality trigger, you will love it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have total 3 Geissele SSF in my m16s - bought them the same time. No, its not worth it, way overpriced and overrated.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have only shot standard triggers in my m16.

but I am thinking about the SSF.

thoughts? Ideas? Input?
View Quote
Worth the cost to me
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got one, don’t think they are worth the money.
View Quote
Same here...
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine does not work with my Shrike upper on full auto.  It does work just fine with any standard AR upper though. I’ve used JSE, PSA, Bushmaster and Colt uppers with no issues.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mine does not work with my Shrike upper on full auto.  It does work just fine with any standard AR upper though. I've used JSE, PSA, Bushmaster and Colt uppers with no issues.
View Quote
Strange...I use my SSF with my Shrike...what doesn't work?  FA or Semi or both?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Works fine on semi. On Auto the hammer just barely won’t catch on the auto sear. There is wear mark on the tail of the hammer where the sear rubs on the hammer but does not catch. So when on auto I get hammer follow on the first round and it won’t cycle.

The reciever is a registered Sendra converted by BFI (bushmaster) so I think it is in spec but I can’t confirm. The Shrike runs fine with a standard full auto hammer & trigger. All other uppers run with either trigger & hammer.

It almost seems that there is too much material on the tail of the hammer or there is a dimension issue with the sear placement.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I have SSF in both M16s. It is well worth the money. I can pull singles, 2rb, 3rb, 4rb with ease using the SSF. The standard m16 trigger sucks in comparison.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#15]
OK I was ready to get one but the best price I could get was $385

I always thought they're a little cheaper.

I'm gonna hold off till I actually shoot one in person is that is a lot of money for just a trigger even though it's going in a $25,000 lower.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought mine from Primary Arms during a sale. I can’t remember if I paid close to  $200 or $250.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#18]
$25k and cant spend $350 on a trigger?

your in a rich mans hobby.......people p*ss away thousands on extras...

i think i found mine on ebay (NIW) for a little discount....

just get it...its good
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
$25k and cant spend $350 on a trigger?

your in a rich mans hobby.......people p*ss away thousands on extras...

i think i found mine on ebay (NIW) for a little discount....

just get it...its good
View Quote
I did not say CAN'T.

I under Transferable 30 MGs now, I am not a dealer.  I am well aware of the hobby.

$400 here and there adds up.

I will feel one before I buy it...
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OK I was ready to get one but the best price I could get was $385

I always thought they're a little cheaper.

I'm gonna hold off till I actually shoot one in person is that is a lot of money for just a trigger even though it's going in a $25,000 lower.
View Quote
Wait. Brownells usually has them in stock and does a decent discount on Black Friday.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#21]
they sell used for -$50...so if you dont like it you can resell....you will like it....try to find a bad review?....they are $400 for a reason....they are awesome

want to take any AR to the next level...the geissele trigger is it....i tossed one in my ar and can shoot multiple targets 10-20% faster than i can with my kids AR's.....it helps you loose the jerk and keeps you more accurate...only a couple lbs difference and shorter pull....without it i could not shoot 2-3 round bursts on my own with my m16.....with it i think i can shoot doubles or triples at will...you choose how many rounds comes out
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Is the HK416 trigger similar?

I heard the SSF trigger doesn't allow the use of a HK416 or converted MR556 upper. I have a MR556 that I'm thinking of getting the bolt carrier modded to allow FA on a M16 lower.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Chas, I've been running an original JP Match trigger in my M16A1 since the late '90s, along with a Colt FA disconnector (and, of course, Colt hammer and selector) and the JP springs in the weights I wanted. It has two set screws to adjust pull and over travel. I set it up exactly as I wanted it, then loktited them down. Since then, I've put close to 50k rounds through that lower, and it has not failed once or needed any more adjustment (other than replacing the springs routinely).

Total trigger travel from at rest to all the way back is about 3/16" and it breaks like the proverbial glass rod, with zero over travel. It feels like an on-off switch. It is SO easy to pull doubles, and even singles if I concentrate.

I use the yellow (3-3.5 pound) trigger spring and the red (3.5-4 pound) hammer spring, since I sometimes shoot hard-primed military Lake City ammo.

In my experience, it is exactly like the Geissele, except the set triggers on the SSF come already adjusted and loktited. However, if you break the loktite to adjust it more to your liking, you void the warranty (at least, that's what Geissele told me via a phone call).

Total cost: Well, the JP trigger and springs together are $120 retail, or less if you have a dealer account (i.e., Brownell's).

I like them so much that I have since put them in all my ARs as well. Love that crispness.

YMMV.
View Quote
Tony, I was hopping you would see this ans chime in. I remember you saying there was a value trigger. I not want to call and take an hour of your time talking about everything under the sun. LOL
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#29]
I too ran a JP trigger...back before the SSF came out.  Back then I had a RR Colt SP1 and didn't have a RDIAS at the time.  
One thing I didn't like with the JP was that the set screws scratched up my lower.  I would think it would be better to get some nylon tipped set screws but not sure you can find some long enough.  
Regardless, when the SSF came out I switched to that.  With all my 556 setups, I have tuned the buffer system and I'm in the high 600's or low 700's and can easily pull singles at will with the SSF...which at that RoF may not be a big deal but it is just how this have evolved for me.
Below are some pics of my old JP trigger which I think is the same that Tony_K has:

Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#30]
geissele just had an email with i think 15% off their triggers....

they are on sale right now for -$30
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#31]
@GACS

Is the SSF compatible with a Colt style 9mm upper with a ramped bolt? I’d like to try one in my RR M16 but I run a lot of 9mm and don’t want to swap the trigger group back and forth.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:55:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@GACS

Is the SSF compatible with a Colt style 9mm upper with a ramped bolt? I'd like to try one in my RR M16 but I run a lot of 9mm and don't want to swap the trigger group back and forth.

Thanks!
View Quote
GACS comments on that in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/m16-w-geissele-SSF-trigger-and-a-colt-9mm-upper/23-492959/
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@GACS

Is the SSF compatible with a Colt style 9mm upper with a ramped bolt? I'd like to try one in my RR M16 but I run a lot of 9mm and don't want to swap the trigger group back and forth.

Thanks!
GACS comments on that in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/m16-w-geissele-SSF-trigger-and-a-colt-9mm-upper/23-492959/
Thanks, that’s what I was afraid of.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.
View Quote
Dump that straight blowback and get the CMMG Guard or wait to see what FM Products introduces at Shot in Jan.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Dump that straight blowback and get the CMMG Guard or wait to see what FM Products introduces at Shot in Jan.
View Quote
I have a complete Colt 635 parts kit that is one of may favorite configurations for my M-16.  Ditching it just isn't an option.

Here it is on the SBR lower it normally resides on.

Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have a complete Colt 635 parts kit that is one of may favorite configurations for my M-16.  Ditching it just isn't an option.

Here it is on the SBR lower it normally resides on.
View Quote
It is an option....whether or not you want to do it is up to you.  
You do realize even factory Colt 9mm SMG's are known for breaking hammer/trigger pins due to the harsh blowback.  It is a poor design.  I know Secret Service 9mm Colt SMG Instructors would keep spare pins on hand for when they break.  They had to do that since that is what they were issued and had to use.
I used to run a 9mm Colt SMG setup for years and used SS hammer pins and had them break and start to egg out a hammer pin hole in a transferrable lower.  That was even with a ramped bolt and tungsten weighted carrier by SAW.

If you really want that 635 look, I would put a Guard BCG in that upper, get a 16" Guard barrel and have it turned town to that profile and then move the upper parts to that barrel.
You could also modify your mag block to work with unmodified Colt 9mm mags with this system.  Myself and others have already done this successfully in full auto.
That would give you near MP5 smoothness and no issues of damaging your lower....as well as using the Geissele SSF with no issues.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
That only helps people with a DIAS.  No way to use a Guard on a registered lower.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That only helps people with a DIAS.  No way to use a Guard on a registered lower.
View Quote
????  I discuss two ways to do that here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Has-anyone-attempted-to-get-a-CMMG-Guard-9mm-to-function-on-an-m16-lower/23-493211/
For use with a RR:
1. Modify mag block and use with unmodified Colt 9mm mags like I've done here: http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=597
2. Use the Mean Endomags:  as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaGtM2NT38
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Is the HK416 trigger similar?

I heard the SSF trigger doesn't allow the use of a HK416 or converted MR556 upper.
I have a MR556 that I'm thinking of getting the bolt carrier modded to allow FA on a M16 lower.
View Quote
Geissele makes an HK416-specific version; there's discussion & a photo in my thread here--

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/So-I-got-my-HK-416-upper-/23-484849/

Or.  You can remove the firing pin safety on the HK.  (not saying that's advisable or the best way
to go, just that it will function).

One other thing-- the HK416 Geissele hammer will work with a standard Colt/AR/M16 upper... so, given
the expense of this accessory, that might be the way to go if you ever thought you might want to
put an HK upper on your gun. (*although, the HK416 version was a bit harder to find).

YMMV.

SD
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You do realize even factory Colt 9mm SMG's are known for breaking hammer/trigger pins due to the harsh blowback...
View Quote
FWIW, to the best of my knowledge, no breakage of hammer and/or trigger pins has ever been incurred when anti-rotation pins are installed and used in connection with an M16 9mm of conventional, straight blowback operation with a ramped  BCG.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
https://youtu.be/FxUcRN31hy4

It appears to be possible.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll post this again...
Guard on full auto 556 lower using Endomags
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
FWIW, to the best of my knowledge, no breakage of hammer and/or trigger pins has ever been incurred when anti-rotation pins are installed and used in connection with an M16 9mm of conventional, straight blowback operation with a ramped  BCG.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You do realize even factory Colt 9mm SMG's are known for breaking hammer/trigger pins due to the harsh blowback...

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Ohh.....yes it has...In fact the situation is worse with the anti rotation pins.
Years ago someone had this happened to him on subguns.com
He was using the KNS anti rotation pin and the hammer pin broke and since the 'arms' that hold the hammer and trigger pin together, he didn't know the hammer pin was broken.  So it ended up egging out his hammer pin holes on his lower.

It was during that time I stopped using the anti-rotation pins in fear that would happen to me.  Back then KNS just made the hollow versions.  Now, I think just the trigger pin is hollow.
I still don't understand why KNS has the hammer pin groove.  The pin can't walk out since the arms will prevent that from happening...that groove is a weak point.

I have had a solid stainless KNS hammer pin break on me and cause an accidental discharge.  I even have it on film when it happened.  It was a 7.5" 7.62x39 upper.  It was on my MGI lower w/ a RDIAS.  The mag well of an MGI lower covers the head of the hammer pin so I cannot use the anti-rotation pins on that setup.
The hammer pin broke right in the middle and the engagement of the hammer was no longer enough for the trigger to hold it with the broken pin so when I racked the bolt, it let go of the hammer.  Thank God, I had the muzzle pointed down range when that happened.

I wish KNS would just make hammer pins with no groove in the middle like they do their trigger pins.  
In my MGI lower, I use the KNS 'trigger' pins that have NO groove in the middle for both the hammer and trigger and have never broken a pin again.

For my factory Colt 614 that I baby, I use the KNS pins pictured below but I flip the orientation so that the trigger pin is used for the hammer pin.  I know it could walk out but I just use that lower for the belt fed 22LR LM7 and don't use it for anything centerfire.

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ohh.....yes it has...In fact the situation is worse with the anti rotation pins.
He was using the KNS anti rotation pin and the hammer pin broke and since the 'arms' that hold the hammer and trigger pin together, he didn't know the hammer pin was broken.  So it ended up egging out his hammer pin holes on his lower.

It was during that time I stopped using the anti-rotation pins in fear that would happen to me.  Back then KNS just made the hollow versions.  Now, I think just the trigger pin is hollow.
I still don't understand why KNS has the hammer pin groove.  The pin can't walk out since the arms will prevent that from happening...that groove is a weak point.

I have had a solid stainless KNS hammer pin break on me and cause an accidental discharge.  I even have it on film when it happened.  It was a 7.5" 7.62x39 upper.  It was on my MGI lower w/ a RDIAS.  The mag well of an MGI lower covers the head of the hammer pin so I cannot use the anti-rotation pins on that setup.
The hammer pin broke right in the middle and the engagement of the hammer was no longer enough for the trigger to hold it with the broken pin so when I racked the bolt, it let go of the hammer.  Thank God, I had the muzzle pointed down range when that happened.

I wish KNS would just make hammer pins with no groove in the middle like they do their trigger pins.  
In my MGI lower, I use the KNS 'trigger' pins that have NO groove in the middle for both the hammer and trigger and have never broken a pin again.

For my factory Colt 614 that I baby, I use the KNS pins pictured below but I flip the orientation so that the trigger pin is used for the hammer pin.  I know it could walk out but I just use that lower for the belt fed 22LR LM7 and don't use it for anything centerfire.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/CXEAAOSwgeRZl97v/s-l300.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MHO, YMMV, etc.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/CXEAAOSwgeRZl97v/s-l300.jpg
Thank you for taking the time to provide your insight.  Considering your examples are directed to (1) a hammer pin that you acknowledge is long obsolete, and (2) your personal case which was a 7.62x39, not 9mm with ramped bolt; I am not the least bit concerned about using conventionally oriented anti-rotation pins in my own M16 RR and shooting a 9mm upper of conventional, straight blowback operation with a ramped BCG.

Best of luck with your endeavors.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thank you for taking the time to provide your insight.  Considering your examples are directed to (1) a hammer pin that you acknowledge is long obsolete, and (2) your personal case which was a 7.62x39, not 9mm with ramped bolt; I am not the least bit concerned about using conventionally oriented anti-rotation pins in my own M16 RR and shooting a 9mm upper of conventional, straight blowback operation with a ramped BCG.

Best of luck with your endeavors.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote
The AD occurred with 762x39 but i was using a 9mm with ramped bolt during that time period.  The broken one on subguns that egged the hammer pin holes was a 9mm with ramped bolt as well.

As mentioned, the pin that broke on me was a KNS solid stainless hammer pin with the groove in the middle..current gen is also solid with the middle groove as well.  Just keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#46]
I love my SSF. Won’t go back
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Damn, I ran my SSF with 9mm blowback. well under 1k rounds but I'll go double check the pins...
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
They broke so often they had to come up with the Gen2 pins. Now Gen2 pins have a lot less failures, but they still fail. The 9mm blowback is very punishing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Geiselle are nice if you catch them on sale
Larue MBT are as good or better for fraction of the cost...$87 buck until Christams
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#50]
They are nice, but there's at least a half dozen cheaper options.

I'd bet large sums that you could set up a dozen rifles, 1 with a G. trigger and the rest with these other options, maybe 1 person on this entire board would be able to tell you which was the Geissele after putting a dozen rounds through each. . .   And that 1 would just be dumb luck (statistical probabilities).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top