Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 62 of 65)
Page / 65
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:19:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#1]
Just for laughs, I sent away for a repro WWII German "neck" bandolier suitable for 5-rd stripper clips, apparently 2 per pouch.  About $40.  
Pic HERE

Possibly such a unit could be used as-is for 5-rd clips of USGI 7.62/.30-'06 ammo.  Useful if one lives in a State where detachable mag-fed semi-auto rifles are banned, but where such rifles are suitably modified (reversibly so) to retain a "permanent" 10-rd mag and fed from the top via 5-rd stripper clips.  M1A and FAL are candidates for this, but FAL needs an expensive replacement "top cover".

Possible rig could be reconfigured for common 10-rd 5.56 mags, and 10-rd 7.62 mags.  Numerous bolt action rifles will accept 10-rd, double stack mags, such as the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle, and many others.

IDK if the thing will work as-is with 8-rd M1 clips but will find out and report.  Each "snap" indicates a separate pocket for 1 x 5-rd stripper clip.  Fabric curtain separates clips in all 2-snapped pockets.

Similar Repro German "mag-carrier" neck pouches pictured above fetch rather steep prices--$140.  Not interested, as the "clip" rig will tell me almost all I need to know.

WARNING: There is a site on internet that offers "sewing patterns" for some of this gear-- got an Italian name connected with it.  I got a rather nasty virus from clicking on the site which took me an unusually long time to remove.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

I don't think it would be too tall, just a matter of what "ride" you carry it at.  I prefer "low ride" (in holster terms) for my pouches, simply because it creates a shelf for your rucksack.  And I think it's more comfortable, overall.  But.  If you adjust the hanger system so a bit of the top rises up over the belt, then it could work.  Remember those Brit "commando" pouches for the Sten mags?  That's an extreme example, but it can be done.  

I presume this is responding to my comment that stacking 4 SVD mags, two mags high, either in the same pouch with a horizontal divider or in 2 x 2 pouches attached to the same backer. I didn't take a pic, but putting 2 SVD mags on top of the 25rd 308 PMAG, which is already a pretty tall beast in its own right, made the whole stack another 3/4" taller and about 9" tall overall, and that was before you'd add in the additional overall height from the pouch material. As I don't see being able to run 4 mags in the same pouch with a series of vertical and horizontal dividers being very user friendly from a mag drawing perspective, you'd probably want to do 2 x 2 pouches attached to the same backer (similar to the Soviet belt mounted pouch I posted earlier). It seems best to keep the SVD mags to a single pouch with 2 mags sitting next to each other with a simple divider for noise discipline. Figure four of these double mag pouches on your belt kit would give you 9 mags with one in the gun. Run a minimalist chest rig for another 6-10 mags and you're starting to lug a descent amount of relatively heavy ammo and mags for a DMR.
View Quote

Don't forget, you can attach a single SVD mag pouch to the front or back of the utility pouches / buttpacks.  If you do one on each side, say on the backside of the utility pouches used for canteens, that would give you 2 more SVD magazines on the belt.  I'm pretty sure they would fit there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

Get a good measurement of the 20 round magazine, from top to bottom.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Apologies for the delay. Had some family in town and wasn’t able to grab some mag pics until just now.

SVD v 20rd and 25rd 308 PMAGs for the DMR pouch ideas.

I think a double mag pouch designed for SVD/PSL/M77 DMR mags could probably be used for 2 x 20rd 308 PMAGs, assuming the pouch lid closure system had enough adjustment to lengthen the closure tab or buckle. Making the pouch able to secure 25rd PMAGs and not be too deep for the 10rd SVD DMR mags is probably a bridge too far, unless you were willing to tuck the pouch lid back and use the pouch open topped.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_5686_jpeg-3171232.JPG

Comparing width, I was kind of surprised. The amount of curve required for the rimmed 54R actually makes the SVD mag not much wider compared to the 308 PMAG. In this pic you can just see the front and rear lugs on the SVD mag peaking out from underneath the PMAG.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_5687_jpeg-3171234.JPG

ETA: based on the size of a 25rd PMAG, and the fact that 2 SVD mags stacked on each other would be even taller, the initial idea of making a 4 mag pouch, with two mags stacked on two more, seems like it would be too tall to be used on belt kit. I think it would either dig into your sides and make drawing the top mags tough, or run too low and rub against your legs.

Get a good measurement of the 20 round magazine, from top to bottom.

6.5” from the heel to the top of the rear of the feedlips.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#4]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_5688_jpeg-3171846.JPG
View Quote

Add a quarter inch for the dust covers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Only an inch shorter than a STANAG AR mag.

Interesting.  I'm sure I can get it to work in the same pouch as the SVD magazines.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Don't forget, you can attach a single SVD mag pouch to the front or back of the utility pouches / buttpacks.  If you do one on each side, say on the backside of the utility pouches used for canteens, that would give you 2 more SVD magazines on the belt.  I'm pretty sure they would fit there.
View All Quotes

I don't think it would be too tall, just a matter of what "ride" you carry it at.  I prefer "low ride" (in holster terms) for my pouches, simply because it creates a shelf for your rucksack.  And I think it's more comfortable, overall.  But.  If you adjust the hanger system so a bit of the top rises up over the belt, then it could work.  Remember those Brit "commando" pouches for the Sten mags?  That's an extreme example, but it can be done.  

I presume this is responding to my comment that stacking 4 SVD mags, two mags high, either in the same pouch with a horizontal divider or in 2 x 2 pouches attached to the same backer. I didn't take a pic, but putting 2 SVD mags on top of the 25rd 308 PMAG, which is already a pretty tall beast in its own right, made the whole stack another 3/4" taller and about 9" tall overall, and that was before you'd add in the additional overall height from the pouch material. As I don't see being able to run 4 mags in the same pouch with a series of vertical and horizontal dividers being very user friendly from a mag drawing perspective, you'd probably want to do 2 x 2 pouches attached to the same backer (similar to the Soviet belt mounted pouch I posted earlier). It seems best to keep the SVD mags to a single pouch with 2 mags sitting next to each other with a simple divider for noise discipline. Figure four of these double mag pouches on your belt kit would give you 9 mags with one in the gun. Run a minimalist chest rig for another 6-10 mags and you're starting to lug a descent amount of relatively heavy ammo and mags for a DMR.

Good point. Could sneak a few more mags on the kit. Certainly not as easily accessible, but still in the kit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_5688_jpeg-3171846.JPG

Do your dust covers attach to the bottom of the 308 PMAG? Some of my 5.56 ones do, not sure which gens do or don’t, but none of my 308 PMAG dust covers snap onto the bottom of the mag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Good point. Could sneak a few more mags on the kit. Certainly not as easily accessible, but still in the kit.
View Quote

Be a decent place to access from while laying on your stomach.  Which an SVD type guy would probably be doing alot.

That would give you 10 on your belt, 1 on the gun.  That's 110 rounds.  You are almost to the place where you could skip the chest rig and just carry a bandoleer (or rolled up minimalist SVD chest rig) in your assault pack.

Or leave the belt kit free for smokes and frag pouches that definitely are there to carry skittles.  And just rock the chest rig.  Because I'm overthinking things.  

:-D
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Be a decent place to access from while laying on your stomach.  Which an SVD type guy would probably be doing alot.

That would give you 10 on your belt, 1 on the gun.  That's 110 rounds.  You are almost to the place where you could skip the chest rig and just carry a bandoleer (or rolled up minimalist SVD chest rig) in your assault pack.

Or leave the belt kit free for smokes and frag pouches that definitely are there to carry skittles.  And just rock the chest rig.  Because I'm overthinking things.  

View All Quotes

I like both options
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2apatriot] [#10]
Originally Posted By Diz:

That being said, I think a combination of SVD mag/20-rd 7.62 NATO would be more do-able.  

And I have an idea for an adjustable tuck tab so the top flap could accommodate both.  Look at the USGI canteen pouch.  If you make the closure system separate and removable from the flap, it does a couple of things.  You can now tuck the flap behind, and use a bungee and tuck tab arrangement (or whatever you want) to make it an open top pouch, or make the bungee adjustable so it will accommodate different height mags.  I'm doing something like this for a CF "Universal" pouch, which will take 2 x 5.56 NATO mags, or any radio up to a PRC-152.  

You guys remember the SOMAVs NSW vest?  They used elastic on a metal hook that engaged webbing "tunnels".  Imagine that system only now it sits in a tunnel in the top flap and can be removed and used on it's own.

So combining these two concepts.   The closure feature (tuck tab for me, but use anything you want) stretches to accommodate different height mags.  And the top flap is tuckable to prep a ready mag.  Maybe even multiple tuck tunnels, or whatever, to allow for the different heights, especially after one mag is used.  In other words, double or single mag height.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54178/20180507_152128_jpg-3171636.JPG

Here is a chest rig I did for my SF buddy.  Notice how the tuck tab is separated from the base flap.  So you can tuck the flap and just use the tab on bungee to hold in place.  These pouches would take 1-2 5.56 NATO, or up to a -152.  The utilities were cut for NV gear or what-not, but also could take a 1 qt USGI canteen, if you tucked the flap and used the tab/bungee arrangement, similar to a USGI canteen pouch, which is where the idea came from in the first place (with a tip of the hat to the SOMAVs vest).  Instead of webbing, I used a double layer of cordura, to create a "tunnel" for the bungee/tab to sit in.  As it's open on both ends, you merely pull the bungee out of the tunnel to tuck the flap.

Notice the "jump locks" v.1.  The tuck tab could also be tucked under it to secure just one mag.
View Quote

Damn, this is awesome. So when do we get the Crossfire DZ chest rig?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:14:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#11]
Well, if enough guys email the website and request it, it shall happen.  Gotta let those marketing guys know whatcha want.

You know Raf, I've always wanted to do something like that; make patterns, and even kits for guys to roll their own.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#12]

You know Raf, I've always wanted to do something like that; make patterns, and even kits for guys to roll their own.
View Quote

You should email me about this Diz.  I'm planning on doing this on my webpage, the one I mentioned to you.  I'm wanting to provide both free and paid for patterns, and complete DIY kits.  Plus instructional tutorials.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Gear Nerds - just put a bunch of UF Pro Clothing and an Eberlestock Pack in the EE, under 'Milspec Clothing and Gear'. Seems like a catch all thread and all the participants are way into gear, so hope I'm good
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Gear Nerds - just put a bunch of UF Pro Clothing and an Eberlestock Pack in the EE, under 'Milspec Clothing and Gear'. Seems like a catch all thread and all the participants are way into gear, so hope I'm good
View Quote

I'm pretty sure Eberlestock packs don't play well with belt kit....
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
View Quote

I think I speak for all of us by thanking you for your invaluable input in this thread.

Also, and this is fascinating, you are in the tactical gear subforum. We talk about gear here.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:00:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joeviterbo] [#16]

Courtesy of a collector, since 2019 Dutch airmobile Brigade (light infantry air assault) and Marine Corps have received upgraded jungle camouflage and webbing. They already had a jungle specific camouflage but to me It Is neat to see they got a British style webbing, your basic Copy of a Commander webbing with modular ammo pouches, not unlike the dz rig. It Is cool because dutch have never used belt kits of British inspiration and they started in 2019.
This Is the rig, made in the Netherlands by One large military manufacturer, profile equipment. Doesnt look Jayjays quality, but atleast the concept Is there.

Another whole subject to discuss but as far as i know Dutch still train trench type shotgun as a combat weapon for jungle patrols. Atleast they told me they still did 10/15 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:
https://images2.imgbox.com/ed/19/zv7XFOYJ_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/d1/3d/HsFyo3bv_o.jpg

Courtesy of a collector, since 2019 Dutch airmobile Brigade (light infantry air assault) and Marine Corps have received upgraded jungle camouflage and webbing. They already had a jungle specific camouflage but to me It Is neat to see they got a British style webbing, your basic Copy of a Commander webbing with modular ammo pouches, not unlike the dz rig. It Is cool because dutch have never used belt kits of British inspiration and they started in 2019.
This Is the rig, made in the Netherlands by One large military manufacturer, profile equipment. Doesnt look Jayjays quality, but atleast the concept Is there.

Another whole subject to discuss but as far as i know Dutch still train trench type shotgun as a combat weapon for jungle patrols. Atleast they told me they still did 10/15 years ago.
View Quote

Those two pictures aren't working.

But from that link, that doesn't look horrible.  I looks like a mass-produced version of the modern belt kit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:15:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#18]
The "template" or style looks exactly like something you'd see from Marauder, and others of that tier.   Especially in the shape of the yoke, and the pouch flaps; they are almost exactly the same.  Also of note is the off-set front buckle, which I assume was on purpose.  The main questions would be if they used mil-spec (NIR) materials, and nylon bonded thread.  Then what kind of padding, and layer "next-to-skin".  

This is a good example of what's being made by the lowest bidder for small country .mil contracts. It looks like entry-level kit.  And why the lads will go to JJ's and Dixies when they get serious about their trade.  

The yoke looks like crap.  It is too wide and way too short.  It will not interface well with pack straps.  Can't quite tell the length of the base, but it appears to be around 8" or a pretty full hippo belt.  The sustainments appear to be sewn on and the mag pouches appear to be removable/molle.  So like JJ's Cmdr's or CF.  Appears to have SR buckle closure and I would assume velcro back-up.  At least on mag pouches.  Also cmdr's pouch has no side wings so your TAM gets soaked.  Oh well.

Interesting non-the-less that more countries are (re)issuing jungle kit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:25:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Matching ruck looks like a Plce Bergen with triple utility pouch in front which Is a common tailor mod.

Diz Is the Resident Expert on packs so i refrain from further commenting.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Ha, don't throw me under the bus like that; imma just a stitch bitch.  

Ruck looks very reminiscent of later (overseas-made) Lowe-Alpine.  Twins stays with mesh-padded tunnels (they stole Cap6888's idea!).  Same 1000d-ish material used throughout.  And for sure the 3-pouch rear panel, like the "ABN" rucks.   I'd imagine it performs somewhere between an issue Bergen and a Karrimor.  

Again following closely with what the Brits are up to.  And taking a page from the Jarhead playbook, making all their kit a solid color, which can then be camo'd to local conditions as required.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#21]
The "template" or style looks exactly like something you'd see from Marauder, and others of that tier.   Especially in the shape of the yoke, and the pouch flaps; they are almost exactly the same.  Also of note is the off-set front buckle, which I assume was on purpose.  The main questions would be if they used mil-spec (NIR) materials, and nylon bonded thread.  Then what kind of padding, and layer "next-to-skin".  

This is a good example of what's being made by the lowest bidder for small country .mil contracts. It looks like entry-level kit.  And why the lads will go to JJ's and Dixies when they get serious about their trade.  

The yoke looks like crap.  It is too wide and way too short.  It will not interface well with pack straps.  Can't quite tell the length of the base, but it appears to be around 8" or a pretty full hippo belt.  The sustainments appear to be sewn on and the mag pouches appear to be removable/molle.  So like JJ's Cmdr's or CF.  Appears to have SR buckle closure and I would assume velcro back-up.  At least on mag pouches.  Also cmdr's pouch has no side wings so your TAM gets soaked.  Oh well.

View Quote

Ooof, I didn't notice how short the front of the harness was.  

Also, the camo on that uniform isn't bad.  Very green, but yea.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

IDK.  Hard to tell, but depending on height/torso length of user, there appears to be sufficient vertical strapping length to accommodate most users.

What one is seeing in pix is simply how it was set up for the pix, not necessarily how an experienced user would set it up.  I certainly could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By raf:
IDK.  Hard to tell, but depending on height/torso length of user, there appears to be sufficient vertical strapping length to accommodate most users.

What one is seeing in pix is simply how it was set up for the pix, not necessarily how an experienced user would set it up.  I certainly could be wrong.
View Quote

Naw I mean the wide, padded part of the harness straps.  The part that goes over the top of the shoulders.  They need to be longer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:34:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#24]
Just got a buttpack from Marnsdorff yesterday.    I know he's been popping on discussing some projects he's been making.

I'll get some pics up in a bit, but for now a brief review:

It's 8 MOLLE rows wide, probably around 4" deep and 6" high.  I fit in a poncho liner and 2 full MREs with some room. He's got a skirt with drawstring under the top.  The pouch itself is coyote, he used a 3-color desert for the skirt.  Double stitched and the tape around the seams looks very clean.  I think he did 5 of these prototypes, and honestly, it's on par with things like Tactical Tailor.  Haven't gotten a chance to really put it through its paces but looking forward to it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
Just got a buttpack from Marnsdorff yesterday.    I know he's been popping on discussing some projects he's been making.

It's 8 MOLLE rows wide, probably around 4" deep and 6" high.  I fit in a poncho liner and 2 full MREs with some room. He's got a skirt with drawstring under the top.  The pouch itself is coyote, he used a 3-color desert for the skirt.  Double stitched and the tape around the seams looks very clean.  I think he did 5 of these prototypes, and honestly, it's on par with things like Tactical Tailor.  Haven't gotten a chance to really put it through its paces but looking forward to it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20240331_161758_jpg-3176011.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20240401_203808_jpg-3176014.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20240401_203748_jpg-3176015.JPG
View Quote

*thumbs up*

Looks good on your rig.  Man of my heart, not afraid to mix different colors on one rig!    
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Congrats Marnsdorff!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#27]

*thumbs up*

Looks good on your rig.  Man of my heart, not afraid to mix different colors on one rig!    
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20240331_161758_jpg-3176011.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20240401_203808_jpg-3176014.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/20240401_203748_jpg-3176015.JPG

*thumbs up*

Very 2004 Marine Corps
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Congrats Marnsdorff!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#29]

I am not a fan of this Channel (and this video reminds me why), but this appeared in my YouTube and It makes a point on how an average American oblivious to British concepts Is skeptical about those kinds of belt webbing, does not know about its finer points, doesnt even know how to wear It.
Not to blame him obviously, his experience Is the product of his training and education, but because of that i fear products like the ones shown in this topic may not reach the commercial success they deserve.  Maybe just give an American a multicam Alice and make him happy

There Is and interesting comments too on the price of this rig vs. the sum of Spiritus systems item needed to have a similar rig (this time i am oblivious to that set of products) with the added benefit of quickly converting It into a placard...i Guess civilians still in pursuit of the pie in the sky that Is an all purpose, extremely modular, transforming scalable rig (even if they May have no real Need for It)

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm very late to this thread, that jungle kit in OP is some nice kit but damn it is spendy! Are most of you's just cloning that kit with the gear you already have on hand? Because I figure I can copy that kit with the gear that I already have. I've got a full vtac kit, with cobra belt, vtac battle belt, vtac suspenders, and surplus Eagle Industries pouches. I think the vtac kit is pretty lightweight and comfortable, I've got probably about $250 into it altogether. The only piece I'm missing is the buttpack and I'm pretty sure my local army/navy has them in woodland and chocolate chip.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:17:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#31]
Originally Posted By FlamingDragon:
I'm very late to this thread, that jungle kit in OP is some nice kit but damn it is spendy! Are most of you's just cloning that kit with the gear you already have on hand? Because I figure I can copy that kit with the gear that I already have. I've got a full vtac kit, with cobra belt, vtac battle belt, vtac suspenders, and surplus Eagle Industries pouches. I think the vtac kit is pretty lightweight and comfortable, I've got probably about $250 into it altogether. The only piece I'm missing is the buttpack and I'm pretty sure my local army/navy has them in woodland and chocolate chip.
View Quote

Not really.  It's more nuanced than that.  

Yes, you can clone a set of belt kit up with a number of items - VTAC, ITS, etc. belt, suspenders, etc.  Most of us have dabbled with that over the years, and it works.  To a point.  I mean, it's better than a traditional set of ALICE gear, but it still lacks alot.  

The modern set of belt kit - and where Velocity Systems misses it - is that the British use a WIDE (as in tall), lightly padded belt now.  It's 8 inches or so, give or take depending on the rig, from top to bottom.  And the nicer ones have the rear pouch(es) / canteen pouches sewn directly to the padded belt.  

They also use a 6 (or 8) point harness, with 4 straps in the back and 2 or 4 straps in the front.  Most are 6 point, I am the oddball that prefers 8 point.  These harnesses also have a mesh covered back panel that comes down about halfway, or slightly more, down the back before splitting off into straps.

These two things GREATLY improve comfort and stability in modern belt kit.  If you set your rig up right, your rear utility pouches and your canteen pouches  (or buttpack / canteen pouches) will be at the same height and stable, producing a shelf that you can rest your pack on top of, mostly fixing the 'can't wear a pack with a waist belt' problem.  

Also, buttpacks are hard to find these days.  Especially MOLLE ones.  As in, no one makes them.  At least not quality American made ones.  I haven't even seen Chinese ones, though I'm sure they exist.  The few that ARE made in the USA have serious problems.  Velocity's buttpack is probably the best, and is at least usable.  But their fabric they use isn't very durable.  

Thus why I now make limited runs of molle buttpacks.  

If you find a good buttpack at a decent price at your local surplus store, snag it.  Seriously, they are getting dummy expensive.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

BTW, there is nothing wrong with running your belt kit on the vtac belt.  I'm not dissing it.  If you got it set up already and don't need to spend money, roll with it.  Plenty of guys on here are running budget setups and not spending gucci money.

I would suggest, as a cheap upgrade, to upgrade to a British / Danish surplus PLCE harness (also sometime called a yoke)

This is what they look like  (this is the Danish one, it's exactly the same as the British ones, but it's in Danish Flecktarn.  They happen to be available and cheap here in the USA now)

They work fine, especially if you add a sternum strap, which is cheap and easy.  I have some I can sell you one with the sternum strap setup, or you can look around online, they are out there on various surplus sites.  It's a pretty solid upgrade to ALL of the belt kits, ALICE included.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Well I promised a video of my pack when I got around to it.  However I am not a great videographer/editor, so be gentle.

And as to try and keep this thread on topic, I also did a video of my homemade PLCE. And I totally forgot to point out my dump pouch which is piggy backed underneath my IFAk pouch.

So first, my PLCE.......

And my pack.....
Custom Made Patrol/Assault Pack or Bergen
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Not really.  It's more nuanced than that.  

Yes, you can clone a set of belt kit up with a number of items - VTAC, ITS, etc. belt, suspenders, etc.  Most of us have dabbled with that over the years, and it works.  To a point.  I mean, it's better than a traditional set of ALICE gear, but it still lacks alot.  

The modern set of belt kit - and where Velocity Systems misses it - is that the British use a WIDE (as in tall), lightly padded belt now.  It's 8 or so, give or take depending on the rig, from top to bottom.  And the nicer ones have the rear pouch(es) / canteen pouches sewn directly to the padded belt.  

They also use a 6 (or 8) point harness, with 4 straps in the back and 2 or 4 straps in the front.  Most are 6 point, I am the oddball that prefers 8 point.  These harnesses also have a mesh covered back panel that comes down about halfway, or slightly more, down the back before splitting off into straps.

These two things GREATLY improve comfort and stability in modern belt kit.  If you set your rig up right, your rear utility pouches and your canteen pouches  (or buttpack / canteen pouches) will be at the same height and stable, producing a shelf that you can rest your pack on top of, mostly fixing the 'can't wear a pack with a waist belt' problem.  

Also, buttpacks are hard to find these days.  Especially MOLLE ones.  As in, no one makes them.  At least not quality American made ones.  I haven't even seen Chinese ones, though I'm sure they exist.  The few that ARE made in the USA have serious problems.  Velocity's buttpack is probably the best, and is at least usable.  But their fabric they use isn't very durable.  

Thus why I now make limited runs of molle buttpacks.  

If you find a good buttpack at a decent price at your local surplus store, snag it.  Seriously, they are getting dummy expensive.
View Quote

Good post, that makes a lot of sense, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Good post, that makes a lot of sense, thanks.
View Quote

Ya man.  No problem.  And welcome to the thread.  There's a ton of useful / interesting information in this thread if you are into this kind of thing.  It kind of meanders from various jungle / belt kits to supporting gear (packs, accessories, etc.), theory on beltkit use, sewing, mainly aimed at belt kit, and other random stuff.  We've kinda used this thread to discuss all things belt kit and bringing it back into use.

And don't be afraid to ask questions, there's a number of guys on here who like talking about this stuff.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By cap6888:
Well I promised a video of my pack when I got around to it.  However I am not a great videographer/editor, so be gentle.

And as to try and keep this thread on topic, I also did a video of my homemade PLCE. And I totally forgot to point out my dump pouch which is piggy backed underneath my IFAk pouch.

So first, my PLCE.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSkTkQUUSHA

And my pack.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvUe9OPXimU
View Quote

Crap, I forgot about those british style rope pouches.  I need to add those to my belt kit.  

And yea, I need to up the width of my water bottle pouches a hair for that same reason.  I can fit canteen / cup / stove in there, but it's a bit tight.  Nalgene bottles are where it's at.  

Good job on the belt kit man.  Looks good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I run my belt kits on HSGI Sure Grip Belts and four-point low-pro suspenders. Even with my 7.62N rig, I feel no need to switch to a wider/taller belt or more suspension points. Point being: try out what you have and run it hard. Chances are very good that you already have it figured out or it might just need some minor tweaking. Define YOUR needs before you do anything.

Instead of a singular buttpack, I went with multiple canteen/utility pouches. Yeah, it's harder to stuff a smock in one, but I can strap that on the suspenders or throw it in a pack. I appreciate the organization versus a larger pouch.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By lew:

I run my belt kits on HSGI Sure Grip Belts and four-point low-pro suspenders. Even with my 7.62N rig, I feel no need to switch to a wider/taller belt or more suspension points. Point being: try out what you have and run it hard. Chances are very good that you already have it figured out or it might just need some minor tweaking. Define YOUR needs before you do anything.

Instead of a singular buttpack, I went with multiple canteen/utility pouches. Yeah, it's harder to stuff a smock in one, but I can strap that on the suspenders or throw it in a pack. I appreciate the organization versus a larger pouch.
View Quote

Like I said, some of the guys roll their own like that    :-D  

But in the end....

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:13:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlamingDragon] [#39]
Originally Posted By lew:

View Quote

I used to have the same belt you have, but here in FL the sure grip felt like a heated blanket. I think the vtac is better ventilated but maybe a little bit less stiffness. The vtac hsgi 4-point suspenders are okay though because they are lightweight and thin. I didn't need anything thick or heavy because of heat and sweat, they cross over in the back and I have a thin strap across the front to form an H harness for some extra support. Overall good ventilation front and back and not too much body contact.

I ditched the chest rig and plate carrier from learning the hard way.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By cap6888:

So first, my PLCE.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSkTkQUUSHA

And my pack.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvUe9OPXimU
View Quote

Finally got to watch the pack video.  Looks good, especially when you added the sustainment pouches.  

That extra room comes in handy in the winter when you end up having to tote around a winter sleeping bag and / or winter clothing.  I like having more room as an option for that reason alone.  Every couple years, it dips down into the -20f's here for a day or three, and you will have serious serious issues if you had to go somewhere in that kind of weather without actual winter gear.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

You will fit in perfect around here bro.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Like I said, some of the guys roll their own like that    :-D  

But in the end....

https://i.imgflip.com/8lc5q6.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I used to have the same belt you have, but here in FL the sure grip felt like a heated blanket. I think the vtac is better ventilated but maybe a little bit less stiffness. The vtac hsgi 4-point suspenders are okay though because they are lightweight and thin. I didn't need anything thick or heavy because of heat and sweat, they cross over in the back and I have a thin strap across the front to form an H harness for some extra support. Overall good ventilation front and back and not too much body contact.

View Quote

Yeah, you got this shit figured out. {thumbs up}

I actually used the HSGI belts extensively in Arizona. I never found it stifling, but two folks can be wildly different. We're spoiled with all the gear choices of today. This thread is proof of that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:49:34 AM EDT
[#44]
I am going to echo what others have already wrote: this has been a great thread.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed info and opinions.

I shoot at 2 matches per month and get along OK with a double belt, 3 pistol and 3 rifle mags and an ALS holster.
When I was in Boy Scouts we still used alot of WW2 surplus stuff, and because of my work (electrician) I am also used to "belt kit".

What has interested me for a long time is stepping up to practically carry more stuff, if the situation arises. With a 32" waist and 10 1/2" from bellybutton to top of sternum there's not alot of real estate available.

I started reading up on the jungle rig/ belt kit way back in the Lightfighter thread, and this thread has been alot easier for a civilian to understand (less military acronyms). I tried a Blue Force belt minus when they were surplusing them out. Balancing out both sides is critical and it flopped real bad with any dynamic movement. It is very comfortable with a canteen on one hip and a pouch with lunch/misc on the other side for a day hike, so not a total waste. Also glad that full flapped pouches are acceptable in this thread. There might be belly crawling thru sand or forest duff and it might be raining sometime.

For Diz: Am I too small for the Med Diz rig? and missed out on the air freighted batch, is there still a boatload coming? any ETA?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:58:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By jakeL:
I am going to echo what others have already wrote: this has been a great thread.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed info and opinions.

I shoot at 2 matches per month and get along OK with a double belt, 3 pistol and 3 rifle mags and an ALS holster.
When I was in Boy Scouts we still used alot of WW2 surplus stuff, and because of my work (electrician) I am also used to "belt kit".

What has interested me for a long time is stepping up to practically carry more stuff, if the situation arises. With a 32" waist and 10 1/2" from bellybutton to top of sternum there's not alot of real estate available.

I started reading up on the jungle rig/ belt kit way back in the Lightfighter thread, and this thread has been alot easier for a civilian to understand (less military acronyms). I tried a Blue Force belt minus when they were surplusing them out. Balancing out both sides is critical and it flopped real bad with any dynamic movement. It is very comfortable with a canteen on one hip and a pouch with lunch/misc on the other side for a day hike, so not a total waste. Also glad that full flapped pouches are acceptable in this thread. There might be belly crawling thru sand or forest duff and it might be raining sometime.

For Diz: Am I too small for the Med Diz rig? and missed out on the air freighted batch, is there still a boatload coming? any ETA?
View Quote

Another Lightfighter bro.  

Yea, that flop is a big issue with the smaller belts.

You should be fine from what Diz has said with the Medium one.  Note that I don't have one, but it's supposed to fit 30-36" waists from what I remember.  

If Diz says it won't work, yell at me and I can do a special small one for you.  I've done bigger and smaller belts for people who have fallen outside the norm.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Congrats to CAP 6888.  Lookin' good brother.

See Marnsdorff for a buttpack.

Yeah a M/L will fit 32-36" pretty good.  Next batch of Diz rigs actually due in later this month.  Then more in the fall.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:56:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#47]
A little Buttpack History

Better pix and more extensive text HERE

Current cheapest price on Ebay for USGI "Field Pack, Training" (M-81 nylon, plastic QD buckles and other hardware) is about $34 shipped.

Interfaces perfectly with the later-issued LBV or any suitable width waist belt and H-harness.  Inner edges of fabric will need to be taped/bound for best durability.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#48]

Current cheapest price on Ebay for USGI "Field Pack, Training" (M-81 nylon, plastic QD buckles and other hardware) is about $34 shipped.

Interfaces perfectly with the later-issued LBV or any suitable width waist belt and H-harness.  Inner edges of fabric will need to be taped/bound for best durability.
View Quote

Yea I've thought about getting some of those field packs to sew directly to belts to save time and money, but by the time I swap out buckles, fix the interior seams, etc. I think I'd be better off just doing one from scratch.

If you're running ALICE gear or something that doesn't require molle, they're the easiest one to get ahold of still.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:24:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#49]

Yea I've thought about getting some of those field packs to sew directly to belts to save time and money, but by the time I swap out buckles, fix the interior seams, etc. I think I'd be better off just doing one from scratch.

If you're running ALICE gear or something that doesn't require molle, they're the easiest one to get ahold of still.
View All Quotes

I think the USGI "Training Packs" just might make useful items for subsequent modification, or outright copying, with suitable mods.

With Malice clips substituted for ancient ALICE clips, such items are suitable for most PALS platforms.  Directly sewing such items onto waistbelts is preferable, but ignores folks who cannot do that and who have different rigs.  Suggest never forgetting "legacy gear" owners.  There are dozens of them for every guy wanting to buy "new" gear.

I'm just content, for now, to sew edge binding into many, many items which lack such, and so turn them into much longer-lasting items.  I'm cheap, and also just learning to machine-sew.  I have much to learn, and much on which to practice.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I think the USGI "Training Packs" just might make useful items for subsequent modification, or outright copying, with suitable mods.

With Malice clips substituted for ancient ALICE clips, such items are suitable for most PALS platforms.  Directly sewing such items onto waistbelts is preferable, but ignores folks who cannot do that and who have different rigs.  Suggest never forgetting "legacy gear" owners.  There are dozens of them for every guy wanting to buy "new" gear.

View Quote

I always found the buttpack extremely useful. You can find woodland ones for $35 and, as you say, a mod to fit molle would be great. Why the choice of malice clips over sewn in 1" webbing? I have zero experience with the malice clips, but I'm old so plastic bits seem less than durable.

Are malice clips durable? Have they seen enough real field time to be considered gruntproof?
Page / 65
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 62 of 65)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top